• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

CUYphZmUwAAr-Rv.jpg:large

A famous artist once said "we found love in a hopeless place".

Looks like Pellegrini caught a bit of the Mourinho flu.

Mourinho (after playing City): "The 3-0 is completely fake, out of context."

Manuel Pellegrini (last night): "Today we did it all wrong - the way we defended, the way we went forward. It was a fake night, a fake game."

spidye

hahah

this season feels so much different than my first season when i arrived in china

nowadays i wake up and see wins

back then it was the second gaal season. so many losses. so frustrating.

I watched it live
2:0 at halftime against cologne. 2:3 at the end of the game :/

against roma 2:0 at half time and losing 2:3 at the end

losing against fucking inter in the round of 16 after winning the first leg in milan

losing against schlake in the dfb cup

losing against fucking hannover

stupid van gaal.

Blablurn

I watched it live
2:0 at halftime against cologne. 2:3 at the end of the game :/

against roma 2:0 at half time and losing 2:3 at the end

losing against fucking inter in the round of 16 after winning the first leg in milan

losing against schlake in the dfb cup

losing against fucking hannover

stupid van gaal.

Dark times lol

The_Poet

Banned
Dembele is an absolute beast for Spurs right now.

Strongest and smoothest player I've seen on the ball in a long time. Cant remember the last time I saw him get dispossessed.

If a team tries to stop Alli like West Ham did then it just means Dembele and Eriksen can shine.

Easy top 4 for Spurs providing the bulk of the team can stay fit.

Kuros

Dembele is an absolute beast for Spurs right now.

Strongest and smoothest player I've seen on the ball in a long time. Cant remember the last time I saw him get dispossessed.

If a team tries to stop Alli like West Ham did then it just means Dembele and Eriksen can shine.

Easy top 4 for Spurs providing the bulk of the team can stay fit.

Spurs will do a Spurs at some point. It is guaranteed.

It's almost a guarantee at this point. They'll need Olympiakos to not win or draw the last 2 games, while having to overturn their -4 goal difference and securing 2 wins as well.

If Arsenal beat Dynamo 1-0, all they need is for Bayern to beat Olympiakos. Which, let's be honest, they probably will. If they beat them by 2 goals, or Arsenal beat Dynamo by 2 goals, then any Arsenal victory against Olympiakos would secure Olympiakos.

It's really not a foregone conclusion at all.

RiggyRob

If Arsenal beat Dynamo 1-0, all they need is for Bayern to beat Olympiakos. Which, let's be honest, they probably will. If they beat them by 2 goals, or Arsenal beat Dynamo by 2 goals, then any Arsenal victory against Olympiakos would secure Olympiakos.

It's really not a foregone conclusion at all.

How does it work regarding the head-to-head record? My assumption was that Arsenal need to win against Zagreb (by any score), hope Bayern beat Olympiakos (which they probably will) and then beat Olympiakos by at least two goals.

Kuros

How does it work regarding the head-to-head record? My assumption was that Arsenal need to win against Zagreb (by any score), hope Bayern beat Olympiakos (which they probably will) and then beat Olympiakos by at least two goals.

It's goal difference in the games between and if that's tied goals scored. So Arse need a 2 goal victory or a 4-3.

If Arse win 3-2, matching the game at the Emirates, it goes to goal difference in the whole group. Arse are currently 4 behind. So the two goal swing from a 3-2 means 2 behind. Given Olympiakos have to lose and Arsenal have to win tonight for this to happen it wipes out the goal difference.

Basically means if Arsenal and Bayern win by a total of more than 2 goals tonight a 3-2 does it for Arsenal.

Finally got around to watching that disgrace of a game from City on Saturday. Coutinho was well decent and made the game something that could still be enjoyed even though I was screaming at the state of City as it was the worst I have seen them play in years, they have had a few bad games this season (Tottenham/United) but nothing as bad as that. On the other hand that was the best I have seen Liverpool play in a long time, thought it was better than the Suarez years as they played like a unit and a really strong team display just goes to show how big a difference a quality manager can make. I don't understand Pelligrini as a manager at times he makes some really odd decisions especially with playing Yaya and other players in games that don't suit them at all, even with injuries it isn't like he doesn't have options.

Leverkusen is the embodiment of what you call in German the 'Achterbahn der Gefühle' or rocky mountains of sensations. They can be massively shit. Worse than a combination of Schlake and Spurs. And the next day, they can produce moments of brilliance. The perfect team to support for the suicidal and the alcoholic poets.

Leverkusen is the embodiment of what you call in German the 'Achterbahn der Gefühle' or rocky mountains of sensations. They can be massively shit. Worse than a combination of Schlake and Spurs. And the next day, they can produce moments of brilliance. The perfect team to support for the suicidal and the alcoholic poets.
Or for people whose normal emotions are non-existent because they take Bayer pills every day.

Kuros

It's goal difference in the games between and if that's tied goals scored. So Arse need a 2 goal victory or a 4-3.

If Arse win 3-2, matching the game at the Emirates, it goes to goal difference in the whole group. Arse are currently 4 behind. So the two goal swing from a 3-2 means 2 behind. Given Olympiakos have to lose and Arsenal have to win tonight for this to happen it wipes out the goal difference.

Basically means if Arsenal and Bayern win by a total of more than 2 goals tonight a 3-2 does it for Arsenal.

Yeah so given that Bayern are absolutely spunking Olympiakos it looks like a 3-2 will do Arse just fine next week.

Champions League is done based on head-to-head rather than goal difference right? We lost to Porto and haven't played them again yet... so how are we top?

I think the table is calculated on goal difference until both direct duels have been played.

Only fudging Uefa. Jesus christ, so if we draw - which completes both duels, then we go second... unless Dynamo beat MTA (likely) and then Porto go out because we beat Dynamo and drew with them and Porto drew and lost against them.

My head hurts, why are Uefa so stupid?

Haunted

I know this thread is mostly about club football, but I just took another look at the Euro qualification results (draw is next month), and the FIFA ranking, and I see Belgium on top?

That's why no one takes that fucking ranking seriously. Unofficial ELO ratings are so much more believable and accurate. Fix your shit FIFA.

Kuros

Do Arsenal just need to beat Olympiacos now to progress, or does it need to be by a specific score?

2 clear goals unless or winning by 1 if they can score 3.

Head to head is the first tiebreaker and Olympiakos won 3-2 in the reverse fixture.

So a 1-0, or a 2-1 not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom