• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical Man U. Play crap and still score.

Can't blame them for it, but Leicester were destroying them. Should not be 1-1.

I'd say 1-1 is fair. United are playing awful but I wouldn't say Leicester are playing particularly well either. United have controlled possession and Leicester have only scored and put pressure on United's defense on the counterattack. Leicester maybe had a chance or 2 more but let's not get crazy here.

Those stats don't tell you the whole picture. He can barely fucking dribble two metres without losing the ball, his first, second, third touch are embarrassing, he can't run, he slows down all the plays, he can't pass and he can't score or assist.

... And that's exactly what I thought. What I always loved about watching Rooney play (watched him during the Ronaldo era and for 3-4 years after he left for Madrid) was that he could play some damn fine football, not just score goals. I know he has the quality, he's shown it before, I hope he gets better on what remains of the season. In the meantime, Bastian to the rescue...

Another boring draw... Just awful. Midfield are toothless. Never try to take on defenders and just pass around them and to the wings... Then back to the defense. No service to strikers. Everyone looks unmotivated and content. I hate how this squad plays. Time to find a manager who can lite a fire in them.

norinrad

Another boring draw... Just awful. Midfield are toothless. Never try to take on defenders and just pass around them and to the wings... Then back to the defense. No service to strikers. Everyone looks unmotivated and content. I hate how this squad plays. Time to find a manager who can lite a fire in them.

They are not going to fire LvG, learn to live with it for now. After all the game is crap but they are still grinding out results. Leicester mostly parked the bus and every now and then counted. This United thrives in open games and not when the opponents parked the bus while lurking on the counter.

King_Moc

Banned
That is incredible. Those fans must feel so small right now

At Northampton Town vs Leyton Orient a few weeks back, Northampton went 1-0 up in injury time and my brother ran on the pitch and got kicked out. Then, as he was walking up the hill behind the ground, Orient equalised. He confirmed that he felt like an idiot.

They are not going to fire LvG, learn to live with it for now. After all the game is crap but they are still grinding out results. Leicester mostly parked the bus and every now and then counted. This United thrives in open games and not when the opponents parked the bus while lurking on the counter.

Oh I know. I've been supportive of LVG but it's pretty much coming to an end. I hate our style of play right now and even though clubs have always parked the bus on us, we've never had this much trouble scoring consistently.

RiggyRob

Going back and watching some United goal compilations from 08/09 and the lack of pace now is probably the worst aspect of the team, but also there's not as much space for the players to run into.

There's no intelligence in dragging the opposition players away from their positions to make that space - if Van Gaal wants to emulate Barcelona and Bayern, he needs to build on the excellent defensive drilling he's done and concentrate more on the attackers' movement.

There is a balance between conservative passing and gung-ho risk taking, and Van Gaal needs to find it for the Wolfsburg game.

norinrad

Oh I know. I've been supportive of LVG but it's pretty much coming to an end. I hate our style of play right now and even though clubs have always parked the bus on us, we've never had this much trouble scoring consistently.

LvG is not the problem, the problem is Rooney, and for some strange reason, he cannot be dropped. You cannot pay a man 300k a week and have him warm the bench. Moyes f**ked up extending his contract and now no one would take him with that kind of salary. If only some club from Qatar would come for him.

LvG is not the problem, the problem is Rooney, and for some strange reason, he cannot be dropped. You cannot pay a man 300k a week and have him warm the bench. Moyes f**ked up extending his contract and now no one would take him with that kind of salary. If only some club from Qatar would come for him.

Should have sold him to papa Jose when he wanted him!

Also, will China do? That is who he's been linked with...

Pachimari

I see Jamie Vardy broke the Premier League record with his 11th. Congrats to the lad. Is he anything special besides that though?

And who would you guys say are the 10 up and coming players right now in world football?

AcridMeat

Banned
Vardy works his ass off and looks super confident and strong in every single game. His touches are great, he pressures on defense, and he knows when to break.

For as shit as we, well mainly Rooney, have been Utd are a point off top with 3 draws in the last 5.
If only Martial didn't get moved out wide we'd have been away.
We're not scoring enough, or playing well but the results are decent. A bit like Fergie's last season.

And who would you guys say are the 10 up and coming players right now in world football?

Leroy Sane is one for sure!

He's going to have to find some way to counter it, though. Arsenal had the same problems a couple years back - the bus would be parked at every game, and you wouldn't feel confident of them getting a result.

Now they have Özil and Alexis to help pick that lock. United need to find a better way through.

I see Jamie Vardy broke the Premier League record with his 11th. Congrats to the lad. Is he anything special besides that though?

Doesn't really need to be, he is the leagues current top goal scorer and has the record for goals scored on the bounce. That says it all. He is a striker through and through and the team plays to his strengths. Calm under pressure, he has pace, tight ball control, very direct, can deliver power and accuracy which makes him hard to nullify.

Kuros

It's more exciting for Sky who try to make out that English football reset in 1992. The real record is 12.

Still a great achievement tho.

norinrad

He's going to have to find some way to counter it, though. Arsenal had the same problems a couple years back - the bus would be parked at every game, and you wouldn't feel confident of them getting a result.

Now they have Özil and Alexis to help pick that lock. United need to find a better way through.

Well January is going to be interesting, United signed Martial out of nowhere. I wonder what creative players LvG has lined up to complete his work. Just two creative players is all they need and hopefully players that would keep Rooney and Young on the bench. Pedro could have been one of such players, but the price tag for such an old man wasn't worth it.

Btw I'm still not impressed by Kane, could be a one or two season wonder.

Well January is going to be interesting, United signed Martial out of nowhere. I wonder what creative players LvG has lined up to complete his work. Just two creative players is all they need and hopefully players that would keep Rooney and Young on the bench. Pedro could have been one of such players, but the price tag for such an old man wasn't worth it.

Btw I'm still not impressed by Kane, could be a one or two season wonder.

Given the amount of money you spent on Martial and appear to be trying to spend on other players, I wouldn't say £18m + £3m in potential add-ons for "old man" Pedro was a lot. Plus the sort of wages you're spunking on Rooney... its not like you are tight for money, they should have got it done.

nitewulf

Lol I'm glad now we didn't get Pedro. He's been invisible for Chelsea apart from that one deflected shot in.

We need Griezmann.

is he even sell-able for Atletico...? i'm always surprised when people say things like this. what possible incentive could United offer to a player of his caliber? Atletico isnt exactly a shit club.

is he even sell-able for Atletico...? i'm always surprised when people say things like this. what possible incentive could United offer to a player of his caliber? Atletico isnt exactly a shit club.

He's their main man, they increased his buyout clause and he seems happy enough at Atletico. But he's the type of player United need. Him or Bale.

They'd be difficult to get, but more realistic than all that crap about Muller or Neymar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom