• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd probably keep Bamford around to be honest. Remy has got to go, he's a good footballer but on a regular basis when Costa isn't available (injury or suspension), he too is unavailable.

you guys are nutz, I enjoyed the game. United wanted to win this game and Chelsea clearly did not. Also LvG is not getting sacked.

Whilst going for a draw is not beyond us and we've certainly done it in the past, we had no strikers and it was evident that when we got the ball forwards... there was no-one to give the ball to.

Makes it quite difficult to try and win, we did our best to counter, Matic should've done better but we're always garbage with a "false 9", wasn't going to be any other way when Costa was suspended and Falcao/Remy injured

You get Bamford back, and we (Palace) take Remy instead, deal? :)

Do you want to pay us £15m? If yes, feel free, if not, then no ;)

LVG: "You've seen that the players are fighting for me. I am fully confident in the board and my players. There is no reason to resign."

3 wins in 15 games
5 points off 4th, 9 points off 1st
Since last win: DDDLLLLD (including against Bournemouth and Norwich).
Out of the CL

RiggyRob

Despite me saying that December would decide his future, it looks like LVG won't go until it's mathematically impossible to get top 4.

2 points out of 15 is shocking, but I can't figure out what changed from the first few months to December - we at least managed to clank out results before, but now the results have dried up as well.

Eerily similar to 13/14 with Leicester taking the place of Liverpool.

Jarnet87

Despite me saying that December would decide his future, it looks like LVG won't go until it's mathematically impossible to get top 4.

2 points out of 15 is shocking, but I can't figure out what changed from the first few months to December - we at least managed to clank out results before, but now the results have dried up as well.

Eerily similar to 13/14 with Leicester taking the place of Liverpool.

Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger's absence have been a big part of United's December of hell. Both of them missed Bournemouth, Norwich and Stoke, and Schneiderlin missed the Wolfsburg game. When you go from those 2 to a finished Michael Carrick and Fellaini in midfield you're gonna see a big drop.

norinrad

Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger's absence have been a big part of United's December of hell. Both of them missed Bournemouth, Norwich and Stoke, and Schneiderlin missed the Wolfsburg game. When you go from those 2 to a finished Michael Carrick and Fellaini in midfield you're gonna see a big drop.

Exactly not to mentioned Shaw's injury seriously derailing United. Those two hold all together, one does the cleaning while the other dictates the play. I can't wait for January.

It just occurred to me last night they the players have understood the philosophy, except the whole thing lacks that lethal finisher. Who would United sign in January?

I'm thinking about these players,

Muller
Reus
Hummels
Götze
Lukaku

Or some unnamed players who are very low on the radar but good solid players.

Jack cw

Exactly not to mentioned Shaw's injury seriously derailing United. Those two hold all together, one does the cleaning while the other dictates the play. I can't wait for January.

It just occurred to me last night they the players have understood the philosophy, except the whole thing lacks that lethal finisher. Who would United sign in January?

I'm thinking about these players,

Muller
Reus
Hummels
Götze
Lukaku

Or some unnamed players who are very low on the radar but good solid players.
Sorry to disappoint but Müller just extended to 2021. You might have better chances with Neymar, he is cheaper. Reus wont leave Dortmund, not for United. Götze is Ancelotti bound and will extend after this season. Hummels is likely, Lukaku too. There arent many finisher on the market that would help United. All that are wont leave their clubs not for money and wont do a step down in their career. I dont want to sound condecending but United had lost a lot of its appeal. The way is good scouting with talents and players from the own youth to build a solid team that is the foundation for a top 4 club. Buying over their prime stars and way overrated international class without a system build for their strenghts is a dead end.

norinrad

Sorry to disappoint but Müller just extended to 2021. You might have better chances with Neymar, he is cheaper. Reus wont leave Dortmund, not for United. Götze is Ancelotti bound and will extend after this season. Hummels is likely, Lukaku too. There arent many finisher on the market that would help United. All that are wont leave their clubs not for money and wont do a step down in their career. I dont want to sound condecending but United had lost a lot of its appeal. The way is good scouting with talents and players from the own youth to build a solid team that is the foundation for a top 4 club. Buying over their prime stars and way overrated international class without a system build for their strenghts is a dead end.

Have you considered applying for a job at the Sun or Daily Mail?

Jack cw

Have you considered applying for a job at the Sun or Daily Mail?
I already work for the media. And yeah you might have to accept buying from a shelf lower. We do it all the time. There are enough players that have world class potential. You only have to scout them.

norinrad

I already work for the media. And yeah you might have to accept buying from a shelf lower. We do it all the time. There are enough players that have world class potential. You only have to scout them.

You obviously missed the part where i mentioned players low on the radar :p

They had a striker who scores for fun, then decided to sell him in summer.

Lukaku could be an option, but he will likely cost upwards of £50m in the current market (not exaggerating). Otherwise, they can look to France, or maybe even QPR... Batshuayi and Lacazette both have good records abroad. Charlie Austin shouldn't be ignored either - his goalscoring record in the PL beats any and all of their current strikers.

RiggyRob

They had a striker who scores for fun, then decided to sell him in summer.

Lukaku could be an option, but he will likely cost upwards of £50m in the current market (not exaggerating). Otherwise, they can look to France, or maybe even QPR... Batshuayi and Lacazette both have good records abroad. Charlie Austin shouldn't be ignored either - his goalscoring record in the PL beats any and all of their current strikers.

I was really surprised we didn't go for Lacazette before, getting Martial instead was a real WTF moment. He's still a good option considering Lyon aren't even in the Europa League and they're not doing too well in Ligue 1.

The problem with UTD is simple. Let LVG keep building a team of underachievers, or try and steer the course while there's still time.

In modern age, great managers don't need 5 years to bring results.

I am a bit disappointed with Elneny's price tag, the guy is worth way more. Good business on Arsenal I guess.

The African Cup of Nations is to blame.

African players need to leave to another continent every other summer, during / after the most busy period of the year, and clubs need to be able to accommodate for them being extremely jaded afterwards. With the form a lot of players come back from the Cup with, clubs see it as 'every 2 years, the player will miss at least 6 months'.

Man, far too young. RIP.

Muller
Reus
Hummels
Götze
Lukaku

I can't see any of these guys as January transfers - and I have suspicions that none of them would be particularly enticed at the prospect of playing for a struggling manager in LVG.

The only guy who I could really see not giving a shit about that kind of thing is Lukaku, but Everton won't sell pretty much their only decent striker unless the cash offered by United is absolutely insane.

Srnićek. You will be missed. Poor guy.
The African Cup of Nations is to blame.

African players need to leave to another continent every other summer, during / after the most busy period of the year, and clubs need to be able to accommodate for them being extremely jaded afterwards. With the form a lot of players come back from the Cup with, clubs see it as 'every 2 years, the player will miss at least 6 months'.
I think the example you give is a bit extreme but this certainly affects their ROI. Yes, this might be a key to understand the low fee in the transaction. Mohamed Salah though did sell for a higher price tag and I don't see Elneny being inferior to him. He is your typical Xhaka, Schweinsteiger type of player and has much potential in himself.

I hope Wenger treats him right and help him shine at the highest level.

Pachimari

Real Sociedad doesn't play all that well really. But man, Cristiano...

[edit]
I feel sad for Sergio Canales, getting injured all the time.

And Cristiano scores the penalty this time.

Tubie

I'm now convinced Danilo is actually worse than Arbeloa.

Pepe is basically playing as RB right now because Danilo can't fucking mark anyone coming from that side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom