• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Might be a bit too soon to say "Chelsea are back."

It was only one game. I'm sure their fans are hoping that performance will turn their form around, and it should. Doesn't mean it will.

bjaelke

AS English ‏@English_AS 42s43 seconds ago

Sources close to Madrid are confirming that Rafa Benitez has been sacked with official announcement expected later

Edit: Zidane taking over on a permanent contract

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
AS English ‏@English_AS 42s43 seconds ago

Sources close to Madrid are confirming that Rafa Benitez has been sacked with official announcement expected later

Edit: Zidane taking over on a permanent contract

That would be a great news.

Cappa

Banned
I loved him as a player, but he's just being set up to fail here with how broken things are at Madrid.

automatic respect from the locker room just like Carlo had. The players like him and right now the most important thing is getting the locker room back to together... it was clearly divided under Benitez

I loved him as a player, but he's just being set up to fail here with how broken things are at Madrid.

There's not many standouts they can go to at this point. If he does badly, they'll just demote him back to the B team in the summer and treat it as a temporary thing (and probably give him another go when he is more ready). If he does well, then it's win win. Players will certainly be more receptive to him than Benitez.

MoodyFog

I think they'll just tell him to do his best for the rest of this season, and let him build his own team for next season before they judge him

Daemul

Zidane taking over on a permanent contract

The first African coach in a top job. We've made it brahs.

4gk3CmS.png

Pachimari

I'm fucking thrilled that we finally fired Rafael Benitez! Not that we are in a bad position in either the league or Champions League, and he shouldn't be blamed for the CDR exit, but his football, man management, subs and tactics could be infuriating.

Unfortunately, Zinedine Zidane will from this day on, be public enemy #1 among madridistas. Sad really.

I think they'll just tell him to do his best for the rest of this season, and let him build his own team for next season before they judge him

Or he might be an interim manager, if Florentino Perez can get his hands on Löw this coming summer.

Now watch Hazard suddenly perk up now Zidane is Real Madrid boss...

I can see Hazard arriving. Especially as Zidane really wanted him to join Carlo's team.

To be honest, all odds are against Zizou. He don't have much coaching experience, and most of all, his staff is comprised of ex-Real Madrid players, probably by our president. Nothing more than a puppet for Perez. I really do hope, Zidane can get the best out of James, Isco and Kovacic, and make Sergio Ramos stand straight and shut up, while he goes on to be a long-term coach.

I have no idea what to expect from Zidane, might be even worse than Benitez for all I know.

Here's a great article about Zidane's coaching style.

norinrad

I'm fucking thrilled that we finally fired Rafael Benitez! Not that we are in a bad position in either the league or Champions League, and he shouldn't be blamed for the CDR exit, but his football, man management, subs and tactics could be infuriating.

Unfortunately, Zinedine Zidane will from this day on, be public enemy #1 among madridistas. Sad really.

Or he might be an interim manager, if Florentino Perez can get his hands on Löw this coming summer.

I can see Hazard arriving. Especially as Zidane really wanted him to join Carlo's team.

To be honest, all odds are against Zizou. He don't have much coaching experience, and most of all, his staff is comprised of ex-Real Madrid players, probably by our president. Nothing more than a puppet for Perez. I really do hope, Zidane can get the best out of James, Isco and Kovacic, and make Sergio Ramos stand straight and shut up, while he goes on to be a long-term coach.

Here's a great article about Zidane's coaching style.

There's a guy currently coaching Barcelona, he doesn't have any experience either, but seems to be doing ok.

Real Madrid fans are probably the worst, most entitled fans in football.

I was at the match against Sociedad. Most fans pretty much silent all game, and the jeers, whistles and boos for Benitez, his substitutes, and Cristiano Ronaldo's penalty miss were louder than any cheers for the goals. They're 2 points behind Barca in the league not even half way in, Bale finally fits, romped home in the CL grpup (and Benitez has great pedigree in Europe).

The fans haven't been behind him since day 1, and they've only grown to hate him more since. Even Chelsea fans weren't this harsh on Rafa.

Meier

There's a guy currently coaching Barcelona, he doesn't have any experience either, but seems to be doing ok.

That's not entirely accurate. Luis Enrique coached Barca B for 3 years and then coached at Roma and Celta. Zidane has coached Madrid B for a season and a half. Enrique had a lot more experience than Zidane although he didn't necessarily do particularly well as a manager before Barca hired him.

Obviously the success that Barca had under Pep after he only had a year at Barca B has changed the game though.

SkylineRKR

Real Madrid fans are probably the worst, most entitled fans in football.

I was at the match against Sociedad. Most fans pretty much silent all game, and the jeers, whistles and boos for Benitez, his substitutes, and Cristiano Ronaldo's penalty miss were louder than any cheers for the goals. They're 2 points behind Barca in the league not even half way in, Bale finally fits, romped home in the CL grpup (and Benitez has great pedigree in Europe).

The fans haven't been behind him since day 1, and they've only grown to hate him more since. Even Chelsea fans weren't this harsh on Rafa.

Benitez could never win this battle. He wasn't wanted, simple as that. The fans and players alike felt fucked over when Ancelotti was sacked. This was a grave mistake and mistake two was signing Benitez. He's not the type of coach suited for a collection of superstars, he doesn't compromise. Benitez ofcourse couldn't refuse when Real knocked on his door. Perez is the one to blame.

Its been there since the 80's; No prize = get the sack. Real should stop with this philosophy. With a Barcelona so dominant, chances are they won't win shit here and there. If they had kept Ancelotti, i'm sure they would've been in a better position right now. Though they current position isn't all that bad really.

Hiring Rafa to be the manager of Real Madrid was always baffling to me. Sacking him so soon, however, is ridiculous.

Surely that shows nothing but the board's own incompetence?

Similar situation with Villa and Sherwood. When will these owners learn?

SkylineRKR

automatic respect from the locker room just like Carlo had. The players like him and right now the most important thing is getting the locker room back to together... it was clearly divided under Benitez

I think Real is actually kind of easy to coach, but also one of the hardest. Coaches like Benitez want to give the team their own identity and don't listen to anyone else. They pretty much dig their own graves.

However, their most succesful coach in recent times was Del Bosque. Who was a gent, put up front as a caretaker initially and he basically did what the board wanted and what the players themselves wanted. You aren't going to tell Figo and Zidane how to close spaces and run when off the ball, and he didn't. Coaches such as Benitez, LvG etc will and are destined to fail at Real Madrid. Ancelotti is sort of like Del Bosque and was a success.

It will be interesting to see how they react to Zidane if he fails to deliver anything. The man has been the advisor to Perez and a sporting director he is going to have a lot more sway internally than any other manager has had before.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Benitez is a great coach for average teams with big ambitions like Valencia and Liverpool. His playing style doesn't suit Real (both as a collection of stars and as a business model). But it's not his fault, it's all on Perez, it was a poor choice from the beginning. He should have kept Carlo.

Zidane might have a good chance if he's not a real bad coach and he has the players' support.

Linius

That's not entirely accurate. Luis Enrique coached Barca B for 3 years and then coached at Roma and Celta. Zidane has coached Madrid B for a season and a half. Enrique had a lot more experience than Zidane although he didn't necessarily do particularly well as a manager before Barca hired him.

Obviously the success that Barca had under Pep after he only had a year at Barca B has changed the game though.

To be fair, Frank de Boer also only had some assistant/youth trainer experience before he took over the manager position at Ajax. Obviously it's not the same level as Barca/Real Madrid. But we're the still by far the biggest club in The Netherlands and he went on to win the league four times in five years after seven years of distress at the club. Sometimes a former player legend with no notable managerial experience can work out just fine.

And as the wise confuziz would say, managers don't matter.

Pachimari

It will be interesting to see how they react to Zidane if he fails to deliver anything. The man has been the advisor to Perez and a sporting director he is going to have a lot more sway internally than any other manager has had before.
He won't have more sway than Jose Mourinho had. Zidane is Perez's pet and has placed Zidane in a very difficult situation. Not only with an underperforming team but also with a coaching staff who lacks experience. Santiago Solari for one, who have only coached Juvenil A in our youth ranks.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Sturridge injured again.

Liverpool really need to cut their losses on the guy or send him out on loan to a less physical league. He's still young enough that - worst case scenario - he could take a sabbatical to get his shit together (ala Craig Gordon).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom