• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Juve's late January and February are going to be sensational. They can bury Roma and kick Napoli below them, CL against Bayern followed by derby match against an alive Inter. All at home. This is their moment to get back to the top of the table and start the CL second leg with a favorable result.

norinrad

Januzaj loan terminated.

Stupid kid, should have listened to LvG but chose to listen to his idiotic agent. Say what you want about LvG but he's always has the best interest at heart for young players and those with the right attitude. He did warn him not to go and he did anyway, look how it has all ended up for him. Now he's back and hopefully this time around with the right attitude.

Has all the qualities to be a good player and it's time for him to get with the program.

Januzaj gone is great news. Still an utterly bizarre move for everyone involved.

With Hofmann and Januzaj gone, that means we'll sign someone else or that Tuchel is serious about Passlack and Pulisic. Both very exciting options!

Blablurn

Juve's late January and February are going to be sensational. They can bury Roma and kick Napoli below them, CL against Bayern followed by derby match against an alive Inter. All at home. This is their moment to get back to the top of the table and start the CL second leg with a favorable result.
Or crash and burn

norinrad

Januzaj gone is great news. Still an utterly bizarre move for everyone involved.

With Hofmann and Januzaj gone, that means we'll sign someone else or that Tuchel is serious about Passlack and Pulisic. Both very exciting options!

I wonder what being not in the right frame of mind means. Anyway Januzaj is a poor man's Hazard. Hope LvG can rehabilitate him.

The_Poet

Banned
Spurs really need a striker this window, I can see Kane getting a niggle then out momentum will grind to a halt.

No idea who could be available though. Troy Deeney has been linked with a few clubs and could be a good signing, even if he does love to stamp on students heads. Cant see Watford selling to us though.

El Shaarawy is apparently available but we dont need another pseudo-striker like Son or N'jie

Spurs really need a striker this window, I can see Kane getting a niggle then out momentum will grind to a halt.

No idea who could be available though. Troy Deeney has been linked with a few clubs and could be a good signing, even if he does love to stamp on students heads. Cant see Watford selling to us though.

El Shaarawy is apparently available but we dont need another pseudo-striker like Son or N'jie

Charlie Austin?

I hope City hurry up and sort the back line out. The second I saw Lukaku start hobbling then immediately head to the backline once Demichelis had acknowledged his injury I knew a goal was going to come. Unless the striker is sitting on the ground don't leave him unmarked.

Demichelis often makes those mistakes and is slow. Mangala is physically up to the job but can't read the game and thus often out of position. Kolarov is a liability and makes massive mistakes every game and his crossing ability seems to have disappeared. Kompany is basically done as he has been out for the majority of 1 and a half seasons. Clichy is ok, I think he is much better as a full back but is always being used as a wing back. Zabaleta is Zabaleta but has been injured for too long. Otamendi is starting to look the part and Sagna has really stood out. They need to do something different, I think they should play three at the back with Sagna alongside Fernandiho as a CDM, even though Sagna can hit the flanks and get back effectively his positioning at interception and ability to get the ball to a lone man on the break has been a great to watch. This would allow a larger screen for the defence and hopefully prevent it being so open whilst also allowing Toure to play a more central role which covers his weakness at not getting back or throwing a paddy when he loses the ball.

I hope City hurry up and sort the back line out. The second I saw Lukaku start hobbling then immediately head to the backline once Demichelis had acknowledged his injury I knew a goal was going to come. Unless the striker is sitting on the ground don't leave him unmarked.

Demichelis often makes those mistakes and is slow. Mangala is physically up to the job but can't read the game and thus often out of position. Kolarov is a liability and makes massive mistakes every game and his crossing ability seems to have disappeared. Kompany is basically done as he has been out for the majority of 1 and a half seasons. Clichy is ok, I think he is much better as a full back but is always being used as a wing back. Zabaleta is Zabaleta but has been injured for too long. Otamendi is starting to look the part and Sagna has really stood out. They need to do something different, I think they should play three at the back with Sagna alongside Fernandiho as a CDM, even though Sagna can hit the flanks and get back effectively his positioning at interception and ability to get the ball to a lone man on the break has been a great to watch. This would allow a larger screen for the defence and hopefully prevent it being so open whilst also allowing Toure to play a more central role which covers his weakness at not getting back or throwing a paddy when he loses the ball.

Given how much City have spent on centre backs in the last year (£35m-£40m?) for Mangala and about the same Otamendi, they also got Sagna and have Zabaleta, Kompany, Clichy and Kolarov - obviously Kompany is the captain and integral to the team and has been injury but I cant help but feel maybe they just need to get a new defensive coach in. Another left back for Kolarov would be fine too I guess.

They've spent a lot of money and brought in a few players in those positions yet seem to be going backwards. Obviously theres not much you can do about injuries to one of your best players but City have spent a lot of money on their backline and they seem to be going backwards.

Lots of it is familiarity. Too much chopping and changing will cause problems for any defence.

On paper, they should have no more problems than Arsenal - but the fact that there isn't a set hierarchy means there's a lot of reactionary change. Mistakes will be made, but a centre-back pairing especially needs time to learn how to play together properly.

Given how much City have spent on centre backs in the last year (£35m-£40m?) for Mangala and about the same Otamendi, they also got Sagna and have Zabaleta, Kompany, Clichy and Kolarov - obviously Kompany is the captain and integral to the team and has been injury but I cant help but feel maybe they just need to get a new defensive coach in. Another left back for Kolarov would be fine too I guess.

They've spent a lot of money and brought in a few players in those positions yet seem to be going backwards. Obviously theres not much you can do about injuries to one of your best players but City have spent a lot of money on their backline and they seem to be going backwards.

Money often doesn't work but I agree. It started to go backwards with Pellegrini, the warning signs were certainly there in his first season, especially considering how strong it was with Mancini. I'm not sure if it is a defensive coach (Brian Kidd) as he was doing it under Mancini and the structure was very different or the overall attacking focus leaving the back overly exposed. The high line doesn't work with anyone other than Kompany and it is often just Fernandiho screening the two centre backs as every other midfielder is attack focused and the wing backs in the attacking corners.

One injury away from recalling Balotelli

image.php

He wouldn't recall him surely?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
People on Reddit going on like Big Sam has slapped Klopp in the face.

He was asked questions and answered them honestly ffs.

Mista

Banned
Its weird to see Arsenal on top of the league with key players missing
Who cares though? Im happy we're on top of the league. Hopefully we win the title! COYG!

GHG

Gold Member
I can see Liverpool recalling Balotelli.

We need some comedy value back in the league now that Mourinho is gone.

norinrad

I can see Liverpool recalling Balotelli.

We need some comedy value back in the league now that Mourinho is gone.

He'd probably thrive under Klopp, compared to Benteke.

Also poor Adnan, seems LvG was right. Even the Belgian under 21 coach is having a go at him. He seems to think he's this huge star who has already arrived and knows everything.

Also poor Adnan, seems LvG was right. Even the Belgian under 21 coach is having a go at him. He seems to think he's this huge star who has already arrived and knows everything.
Well, I still don't get anyone's point in the loan. We should have given the play time to Hofmann or sign a player instead of loaning Januzaj who'd be gone after the season. And United and Januzaj were very naive (stupid) to think a player like Januzaj would be serious first team material for BVB, when we have Shinji, Reus, Micky, etc.

I don't think Januzaj's moral or work ethic can be blamed. He and United just realized it was a shit move.

norinrad

Well, I still don't get anyone's point in the loan. We should have given the play time to Hofmann or sign a player instead of loaning Januzaj who'd be gone after the season. And United and Januzaj were very naive (stupid) to think a player like Januzaj would be serious first team material for BVB, when we have Shinji, Reus, Micky, etc.

I don't think Januzaj's moral or work ethic can be blamed. He and United just realized it was a shit move.

He was advised not to go to Dortmund, because LvG knew as well that he would not succeed there due to the high pressing football Dortmund plays, its pretty similar to United and as a player you need a lot of discipline to be able to fit into such a system. See the current United team, they are struggling but its working. He made that decision himself, when all involved had advised him to go to a club in the EPL so he could get more playing time and work to improve. If LvG, Tuchel and Enzo Scifo are all on his case, then he's not doing himself any favors.

bjaelke

probable #LFC XI: Bogdan, Randall, Ilori, Enrique, Smith, Brannagan, Chirivella, Stewart, Teixeira, Kent, Ojo.

That's certainly one way to prematurely drop out of the fa cup

bjaelke

Africa's footballer of the year!

Very happy for him, well deserved.

Someone disagrees.
Manchester City midfielder Yaya Touré has revealed his fury at finishing in 2nd place in this year’s African footballer of the Year prize.

Touré, quoted by RFI, had some choice words to say:

“I am very very disappointed… I think this it brings shame on Africa. To behave in this way, it is indecent! But what can we do? We Africans, we do not show that Africa is important to us. We focus more outside our own continent. This is what is appalling!”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom