• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great win for us, we were so shit for so long then Southampton gave us a sniff and we saw them off.

The rise up the table begins, 2 points off Liverpool (who have a game in hand) and 11 off top 4.

Get it done Guus. Congrats to Leicester as well, keep the title in proper Blue lads

sLBiM4a.png

Their schedule doesn't look too bad, but West Ham, Southhampton & Utd. may still be fighting for CL / EL spots while Sunderland, Newcastle & Swansea may still be fighting relegation.

sLBiM4a.png

Their schedule doesn't look too bad, but West Ham, Southhampton & Utd. may still be fighting for CL / EL spots while Sunderland, Newcastle & Swansea may still be fighting relegation.

I will have no problem rolling over on the final day if it means they win the title, even at the Bridge.

I bet our fans would be willing to do it too given the alternatives, would be great for Ranieri to win at us after he was treated so poorly years ago, redemption and I bet we would be cheering them on too

The only caveat is if we can get a EL/CL place through the league with a win but... as much as I mentioned it above I find it unlikely really.

Syder

Also, we want retribution for losing to them in the second game of the season.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
sLBiM4a.png

If you look at the previous results though it's pretty incredible

Code:
W West Brom 2-3 Leicester
W Leicester 2-1 Watford
W Newcastle 0-3 Leicester
W Leicester 1-0 Crystal Palace
D Southampton 2-2 Leicester
W Leicester 4-2 Sunderland
W West Ham 1-2 Leicester
W Swansea 0-3 Leicester
D Leicester 1-1 Man Utd
W Everton 2-3 Leicester
W Leicester 2-1 Chelsea

Leicester are gonna win the league. believe.

Cappa

Banned
Ever since Mourinho left, Madrid's midfield and defense went to shit. No cohesion, no support, aimless.

huh? no Id say they got consisintently WORSE under Mourinho.

In Ancelotti's first season 49 goals conceded, in his second and final season 54 goals conceded.

Mourinho in his first season 43 goals conceded second season 53 goals conceded last season 72 goals conceded

The problem isn't the midfield or defense. It's Ronaldo, it's Isco, it's James, it's a lack of giving oportunities to players like Casemiro, Jese, Lucas Vazquez etc.

Ronaldo needs to go, I'm sick of defending him especially after todays comment claiming that if everyone played at his level they'd be in first.

Ronaldo needs to go, I'm sick of defending him especially after todays comment claiming that if everyone played at his level they'd be in first.

ronaldo's huge ego lagging a long way behind his clear decline as a player is going to be a bit ugly

I'm not Ronnie's biggest fan but if you can't speak Spanish, then I'd stop throwing around mistranslations. He was talking about injuries/fitness when he talked about everyone not being at his level. Unless you're suggesting Madrid are a better team without Benzema, Marcelo and Bale at full fitness.

Beefy

I'm not Ronnie's biggest fan but if you can't speak Spanish, then I'd stop throwing around mistranslations. He was talking about injuries/fitness when he talked about everyone not being at his level. Unless you're suggesting Madrid are a better team without Benzema and Bale at full fitness.

Look at all the press (even Spanish), every single one is saying the same quote. To run down your team mates in public is wrong.

Look at all the press, every single one is saying the same quote. To run down your team mates in public is wrong.

Oh you mean the press aren't jumping on something to make Ronaldo look bad? Shock horror: https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/703670320796815360

He didn't even need to issue the clarification. If you bothered to watch the entire interview and the context behind what he said instead of jumping on headlines, you would understand.

Beefy

Oh you mean the press aren't jumping on something to make Ronaldo look bad? Shock horror: https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/703670320796815360

He didn't even need to issue the clarification. If you bothered to watch the entire interview and the context behind what he said instead of jumping on headlines, you would understand.

Not at the physical level is still coming of as vain and it is still out of order. Even if you say he meant injured teams mates. Why the hell did he say the first line? He could of simply said we are struggling with injuries and form atm. But instead his ego takes over.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm not Ronnie's biggest fan but if you can't speak Spanish, then I'd stop throwing around mistranslations. He was talking about injuries/fitness when he talked about everyone not being at his level. Unless you're suggesting Madrid are a better team without Benzema, Marcelo and Bale at full fitness.

I'm fluent in spanish and he said that. I read the quote twice, I thought I read it wrong the first time but nope. Dude actually said that, he later tried to spin it as "I was talking about physical condition" but it's bullshit, the question was about his performance and not about physical condition.

Dude fucked up.

Cappa

Banned

I live in Spain and saw the interview, live.

Ronaldo "clarified" because I'm sure he received a LOT of heat from everywhere over his comments. If it was clear from the start what he said, then he wouldn't have the need to clarify anything would he?

Beefy

I live in Spain and saw the interview, live.

Ronaldo "clarified" because I'm sure he received a LOT of heat from everywhere over his comments. If it was clear from the start what he said, then he wouldn't have the need to clarify anything would he?

Exactly what I am saying.

Cappa

Banned
Exactly what I am saying.

when i heard it on the radio it sounded pretty clear he wasn't talking about fitness levels it sounded like he was talking about talent...

I could understand if Ronaldo said something like that having a great season... but let's be real this is easily his worst season in Madrid. Missed penalty against Malaga last week. Disappearing in all the big games. Giving up on plays and not falling back defensively. All things that were masked in the past because he was playing well. I defended him for a long time but much like Casillas his time is up in Madrid.

Blackhead

Redarse
when i heard it on the radio it sounded pretty clear he wasn't talking about fitness levels it sounded like he was talking about talent...

I could understand if Ronaldo said something like that having a great season... but let's be real this is easily his worst season in Madrid. Missed penalty against Malaga last week. Disappearing in all the big games. Giving up on plays and not falling back defensively. All things that were masked in the past because he was playing well. I defended him for a long time but much like Casillas his time is up in Madrid.
WTF?! Real Madrid fans are spoilt. Ronaldo has 18 goals and 9 assists so far this season. Actually, that's wrong, those are Neymar's stats - Ronaldo actually has 22 goals and 8 assists. If you want to sell the best player on your team, good for you, but I bet by this time next year you'll regret it.

Syder

WTF?! Real Madrid fans are spoilt. Ronaldo has 18 goals and 9 assists so far this season. Actually, that's wrong, those are Neymar's stats - Ronaldo actually has 22 goals and 8 assists. If you want to sell the best player on your team, good for you, but I bet by this time next year you'll regret it.
Barca have 3 frontmen on that level.

Ronaldo is only going to get worse. He's been playing through pain for almost a year now. If your ability is declining, your attitude is affecting the team and your club could potentially get massive amounts of money for you, why wouldn't Real sell him?

Jarnet87

United Ronaldo will always be best Ronaldo. Don't care how many stat padding goals he puts away.

I can't think of a single person who thought Madrid had a chance at the la liga title. Benitez being named manager was the nail in that coffin. Europe who knows, anything is possible but if they go up against Barca they already dead.

norinrad

United Ronaldo will always be best Ronaldo. Don't care how many stat padding goals he puts away.

I can't think of a single person who thought Madrid had a chance at the la liga title. Benitez being named manager was the nail in that coffin. Europe who knows, anything is possible but if they go up against Barca they already dead.

Great player but his decline began 3 years ago, it was the players around him that made him look good, even when he was shit.

He's in the same boat as Shrek, except in Shreks case he was found out earlier due to the average players around him. LOL

norinrad

Worse,

Real Madrid.

Whenever a new manager steps in mid season, things do not always go well for him. Real is pretty much fucked for now. Rebuilding starts next season and a lot of the players have got to go. It's probably also better not to build a team around just one player with an ego bigger than the clubs useless and corrupt President.

Cappa

Banned

Ronaldo has if I'm not mistaken 34 goals total in all competitions this season, sure a fantastic scoring number no doubt.

But do you know against whom?

Espanyol 8 goals in two games, they are fighting relegation
Shakhtar 5 goals in two games.
Malmo 4 goals in one game.

that's 17 goals against weak competition(Shakhtar arent even half of what they were last year), 50% of his production.. that leaves 17 goals against this amazing lineup

Levante
Vigo
Las Palmas
Roma
Malaga
Bilbao
Getafe
Eibar
Rayo Vallecano
Real Sociedad
Sproting Gijon

Do you know what teams he hasn't scored against?

Paris Saint Germain (twice)
Barcelona
Aletico de Madrid (twice)
Villareal
Valencia
Sevilla

Not to mentioned his 8 goals to start the season were 5 against Espanyol and 3 against Shakhtar, he was scoreless in 12 of his first 18 games.

I don't think I need to keep going... I think you understand the point.

longdi

Banned
Great player but his decline began 3 years ago, it was the players around him that made him look good, even when he was shit.

He's in the same boat as Shrek, except in Shreks case he was found out earlier due to the average players around him. LOL

Cristina won 2 world player in past 3 years, u must be mad to say he is declining like shrek. Christina still a beast

norinrad

LvG has probably no choice but to start local passenger Carrick today and the Championships finest Lingaard. Through injuries he's not only making a name for himself. One would think at 23 he should be one of the best out there in his age group.

Pachimari

I'm of the same impression. His performances in Manchester United were something else.

Stats aside, Cristiano have been close to abysmal this season, but his quote were taken out of context anyway.

Beefy

Wenger's side have developed an unwanted reputation for failing to win the league from promising positions.

However, he believes Arsenal are better placed now as there is no squad unrest.

"When we went into April in 2010, some of the players were tapped up to go somewhere else and it was difficult to maintain the focus," he said.

http://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35680304

Arsene should know all about tapping up.

Beefy

I'm of the same impression. His performances in Manchester United were something else.

Stats aside, Cristiano have been close to abysmal this season, but his quote were taken out of context anyway.

It wasn't he just back tracked after he realised he fucked up.

Is it really worse?

Of course! Worse case scenario right now they're looking at 3rd place in La Liga and quarter-finals of the Champions League :(

Aston Villa are just being routinely embarrassed by pretty much every team they play, including Wycombe, while sitting on their lowest points total in decades - with an owner who wants out.

You ask any self-respecting Villa fan. They're glad they're not 3rd in the league, and doing well in Europe, with some of the best players in the world playing for them. They're much happier with Alan Hutton and being pretty much relegated before Christmas. Eejit.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Of course! Worse case scenario right now they're looking at 3rd place in La Liga and quarter-finals of the Champions League :(

Aston Villa are just being routinely embarrassed by pretty much every team they play, including Wycombe, while sitting on their lowest points total in decades - with an owner who wants out.

You ask any self-respecting Villa fan. They're glad they're not 3rd in the league, and doing well in Europe, with some of the best players in the world playing for them. They're much happier with Alan Hutton and being pretty much relegated before Christmas. Eejit.

I'm sure they are also happy making history with the most losses in a PL season already!
(I'm struggling to find the previous title holder)

Jarnet87

No Martial today for United, Carrick again at Centerback. That United bench today lol, you'd think it was a reserves or under 21 game. I want to see Timothy Fosu Mensah get some minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom