• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised by Liverpool. I thought Dortmund would crush them. Result is dangerous, Anfield will burn. And why are Reus and Aubameyang always hiding in big games?
I guess the likes of Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang and Reus were surprised by how well Liverpool played. The Reds pulled a Wolfsburg kind of performance, honestly, and away on top of that.

If Dortmund get their preparation right, they will win at Anfield. They are intrinsically (way) better than Livepool.

Jack cw

They are better on paper sure, but the fact that Klopp managed to slow Dortmund down with their pressing doenst make me confident that it's enough to win. A draw with more than one goal is enough but Liverpool look strong and no german team has managed to win there yet.

LNBL

Since this is PSV's last season with Philips as our main shirt sponsor, Umbro will bring out a special heritage kit for the last couple of games.

psv.jpg

I love the retro look it has

Excuse me guys if I throw a stone in the water, but... can anyone explain how the Spanish teams are so dominant in Europe ? They have basically the same data analysis tools everyone else, the same type of players (height, muscle mass, speed, perception) and as much budget as team in other leagues, if not less, but still manage to completely dominate Europe.

And we are not talking about a 1% ege over everyone, no no no. We talk about a fucking rift. They have 25% more points than Germany. How can this be, seriously.

Blablurn

maybe they just care more about the europa league

and barca and madrid will always dominate the CL because of their money from the government and the drugs

And we are not talking about a 1% ege over everyone, no no no. We talk about a fucking rift. They have 25% more points than Germany. How can this be, seriously.
Well, you have Barca, Atletico and Real who all go far in the CL. And then you have Sevilla who win the EL every other year.

In Germany, you only have Bayern (and in the last years BVB). The random teams that make it to the CL fail in the group stages regularly because they are not good enough, inexperienced or shit like Schalke.

Alpende

Since this is PSV's last season with Philips as our main shirt sponsor, Umbro will bring out a special heritage kit for the last couple of games.

psv.jpg

I love the retro look it has

Really cool shirt. The last couple of PSV kits are lovely.

Well, you have Barca, Atletico and Real who all go far in the CL. And then you have Sevilla who win the EL every other year.

In Germany, you only have Bayern (and in the last years BVB). The random teams that make it to the CL fail in the group stages regularly because they are not good enough, inexperienced or shit like Schalke.
Real and Barça go far because they don't pay taxes and earn a fuckton of money. So it's normal. I highlighted Pathetico and Sevilla in your answer because those are two interesting cases. Pathetico have been exonerated from all their public debts in order to make them a third powerhouse in Spain. But they had a budget roughly equivalent to HSV when they won the league. How can you win a league (38 matches) against the likes of Barça and Real when you have a quarter of the budget and let go of a striker like Falcao ? Sevilla have even less money and they are able to win the EL every other year. Again, how is that possible.

Finally, how can we explain the rise of teams like Villareal, La Coruna, Alavès, La Real Sociedad, Getafe and Malaga who all without exceptions have dynamited Europe when they qualified and, again, had shit budgets (comparatively speaking) ? Is it due to a better use of technology ? I am fairly sure we can exclude that possibility. Is it due to a better pool of talents ? I am pretty sure no since the French league at the height of its youth formation hey days (1995-1997) and Holland (1969-1977) never reached that amount of domination. Is is due to money ? Again, no as mentioned before. So what is left ? If they really had some traditional ingredient that could be easily pointed at and singled out, German teams for example who have a lot more state-sponsored funding (formation centres), higher budgets on average and better infrastructures altogether would have copied and enhanced the formula. But even with that, Spanish teams seem to evolve in a league of their own.

So, I ask it again, what grants them this super power ? How can they all be so consistenly good ? Legitimate question.

Long time no speak footy GAF

Has anyone ordered shirts from the not quite 100% legitimate sites recently?

Want the new England one but not keen to pay £55

LNBL

Hahaha this is great

12930999_1078126982248727_8665406108343483005_n.jpg

Almere City won a period title (literal translation, don't exactly know if this even exists outside of the dutch second division)

tim.mbp

So, I ask it again, what grants them this super power ? How can they all be so consistenly good ? Legitimate question.

Spain is awesome or something about academies, ball retention, great weather, not rotating squads, a league that will move games to accommodate Europe, tactical coaches, etc.

Atleti has had a pretty insane run of CF. Torres, Aguero, Falcao, Costa, and now Griezmann.

Fdkn

Real and Barça go far because they don't pay taxes
What? this is a blatant lie. On the contrary, those are almost the only spanish clubs that don't have tax debt.

Pathetico have been exonerated from all their public debts in order to make them a third powerhouse in Spain.
This is completely false too. What they did was to renegotiate the debt to make them pay a fixed amount every year until the are free of said debt. They've been paying over €50M every year to the goverment for a long time and if I'm not mistaken they need 2-3 years more to be clean. That's why the sell every striker they get in 2-3 years no matter how good the club is going. Griezzman will be the next, but not this summer.

To the rest of your post, simply spanish teams are better than many people give them credit for. Premier League has the money and the worldwide awareness but their quality regarding the pure act of playing football is lackluster in comparison.

Syder

What? this is a blatant lie. On the contrary, those are almost the only spanish clubs that don't have tax debt.
Oh, didn't you know? The transgressions of their players automatically means the clubs endorses the acts.
/s

Back when Ferguson was at United, it was the English teams who were dominating the CL's later rounds (Chelsea were regulars in the late stages, Liverpool won it and went deep again multiple times, Arsenal made the final, Man United were stopped by Guardiola's Barcelona in the final twice after winning it). It's pretty easy to see why none of those teams do as well now as they did then - they're worse. Heck, some of the best players in those teams now play in La Liga (think Mascherano, Xabi Alonso, Ronaldo). Meanwhile Athletico have caught up that level under Simeone's leadership (remember they won the league over both Barcelona and Madrid as well as their European success).

Excuse me guys if I throw a stone in the water, but... can anyone explain how the Spanish teams are so dominant in Europe ? They have basically the same data analysis tools everyone else, the same type of players (height, muscle mass, speed, perception) and as much budget as team in other leagues, if not less, but still manage to completely dominate Europe.

It is the type of football they play. Out of all the leagues you can watch the Spanish game is the most distinct from the others. It is also the best in my opinion as every team is technically proficient to a level that isn't there in other leagues as standard. It is also very rare you will get a team that will just sit behind the ball. Teams don't go for the draw or roll over, regardless of what some premier league hypers like to say.

I think emulation rather than prevention helps them, when one team is successful in their formation many teams will quickly change things up to copy them and try to implement their style within it, in other leagues many teams come at teams that change things by finding a solution that stops them within what they already play. Where players learn to prevent a team by playing the way they normally do Spanish teams are adapting to include new ways of playing into their system even if they revert back to something else.

The La Liga teams often use formations that aren't often used in other parts in Europe so for many players and managers in the UEFA competitions it will be the first time they come across the type of football they are going to play even if they are familiar with the setup. A full attacking 4-3-3 is very common in La Liga, 5 teams play it as their go to at the moment but there will still be a lot of variation within the formation look at the difference between RM and Barca how they play it, both take the high backline with three excellent attacking players but that is where the similarities end. But they are also flexible one is possession based another is counter attacking but have the ability to switch. It isn't unusual to watch a game that for the vast majority is played around the centre half with pretty much every player on the field in this area and their roles can often look blurred with attacking players taking on defensive duties and centre backs taking on attacking roles.

Fans play a role, they are brutal. Watch how Spanish fans react to a loss or poor performance it is hyperbole at its finest. The Real Madrid fans are the most noticeable because there are so many but there is nothing unique about the extremities of their reactions.

Orbis

Hammers need to capitalise* on this spell of shite from Arsenal.

* I should say capitalise further seeing as they've already put three in the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom