• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiggyRob

I hope Leicester have won the league by the time they play at Old Trafford, we could use the kick up the arse and being shown what real champions look like.

Poor Juan Mata. Played completely out of position, having to defend most of the time, then subbed when we're 3-0 down.

How the hell did Van Gaal not notice within the first 15mins that we needed to change things?

I like Durm as RB, and RB only.
He can do well as RM, if we got enough space.

Passlack needs more time anyway, same goes for Pulisic.
Not made for 90 minutes yet, but had some great scenes.

Durm just needs a break, sell Park and get a decent LB.

No!

Kagawa goal:

TzOo4q2.gif

Source

Jarnet87

the beat down was coming. Could barely get out of their own half. Van clueless puts Ashley Young on as a striker. Only two more months of this hell.

longdi

Banned
Wow spurs could still win the title, they have a slightly easier ending fixtures.

I can see Leicester tripping at Everton and Manu.

lol Spurs beating Arsenal to the title, omg..

I read an article about how Spurs' season is just as amazing, if not more so than Leicester. Youngest squad in the EPL etc.

Wow spurs could still win the title, they have a slightly easier ending fixtures.

I read an article about how Spurs' season is just as amazing, if not more so than Leicester. Youngest squad in the EPL etc.

Out of next 5 games Leicester needs to lose 2 and tie 1 while Spurs need to win everything. Not saying that it's impossible. It can certainly happen, but "slightly easier ending fixtures" is not enough.

well 7 points is a lot but doable i guess.. last week barca looked unstoppable in la liga and now they only have 3 points distance to atletico. (prays for bvb)

Based Schalke

So good. really thought Dortmund still has a shot at the title. Now imagine they lose to Liverpool.

The scenes.

Did you, though? You guys are playing Schalke, Hertha, Gladbach, Ingolstadt and Hannover. I don 't see two losses. Schalke will bend over, Hertha (unfortunately) seemed to have lost their strength, Gladbach might be interesting though, Ingolstadt is Ingolstadt and your U19 would win against Hannover. All in all, I don't see you dropping so many points. And neither did Tuchel, so focusing on the EL, which we can actually win without hoping for you guys to drop points was the right decision.

I hope they proceed. A strong BVB is important. But I said earlier, that Anfield and German clubs just do not work very well.

Well, that's such a non-relevant fact, though. Hadn't Porto never lost at home against a German club before as well? Anyway, Liverpool had fantastic teams over the years, so it is no surprise that they haven't lost against a German team at Anfield. But fact is also that this might be one of the weaker Liverpool sides in historic context. And one of the stronger BVB sides. It's totally doable and remember, we don't need to win, a 2-2 is enough.

Blablurn

yo, dortmund got this against liverpool. reus will deliver on a european stage and milch will like it. lets just hope we dont embarass ourselves on wednesday.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Omigod what a result, managed to catch the Sunderland game and what were Leicester. Disappointed in Sunderland.

West Ham were fucking great too, gutted they didn't put the last nail in the coffin for the gooners.

EDIT: Need I say anything about Spurs performance...

Jack cw

Well, that's such a non-relevant fact, though. Hadn't Porto never lost at home against a German club before as well? Anyway, Liverpool had fantastic teams over the years, so it is no surprise that they haven't lost against a German team at Anfield. But fact is also that this might be one of the weaker Liverpool sides in historic context. And one of the stronger BVB sides. It's totally doable and remember, we don't need to win, a 2-2 is enough.

You have to at least score a goal and right now Liverpool is in advantage. Game at home and good form. I'm pretty sure the whole atmosphere and aggression on the pitch made many german sides fail. It won't be easy and this Liverpool side is surely not Barca or Bayern, but far away from being weak or the weakest Liverpool ever. Look at Camp Nou, Allianz Arena or Anfield, the statistics do not lie. We lost to Porto on their turf, so yes, it's a relevant fact. It always was.

I still hope Dortmund makes it but I have serious doubts after the last couple of performances, especially against Liverpool and Bayern, who were obviously stronger sides than the usual Kanonenfutter.

Its not the weakest Liverpool ever, but we are well capable of playing like it. There's a reason we're 8th or wherever we are. On our day we look very good, but peppered among the half decent results are a load of terrible results and bottle-jobs.

We need to use the 1-1 as a platform to go for any kind of win, playing for 0-0 would end badly for us, and its more likely to be a high-scoring draw than a low-scoring one.

Would like to see Origi and Sturridge play together at home against midtable teams and below. They looked tremendous yesterday, and Sturridge has shown with Suarez that he has no problem adjusting his game for a strike-partner, and if anything looks better for it.

I wonder what Arsenal would have been like this season if they had Klopp in charge. I like Wenger a lot, but I feel he and the club have become very stagnant and both parties could do with something fresh. Klopp would've surely made that squad genuine contenders?

I knew Gomez was doing good in Turkey, but I just realized that Besiktas is actually leading the table:
UQLxems.png

It'd be their first title since 2009: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Süper_Lig#Champions

And it's apparently in large part due to Gomez:
e6dihyo.png

Mario Gomez scores the first goal in the new Beşiktaş stadium

He seems like the perfect CF for the PL. Klopp should sign him.

I wonder what Arsenal would have been like this season if they had Klopp in charge. I like Wenger a lot, but I feel he and the club have become very stagnant and both parties could do with something fresh. Klopp would've surely made that squad genuine contenders?

Not even Klopp @ Arsenal would be able to stop the Leicester train.

Jarnet87

Omigod what a result, managed to catch the Sunderland game and what were Leicester. Disappointed in Sunderland.

West Ham were fucking great too, gutted they didn't put the last nail in the coffin for the gooners.

EDIT: Need I say anything about Spurs performance...

West Ham will be putting a coffin in van Goof's FA Cup hopes Wednesday, and possibly top 4 hopes if United are still alive by May.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving

Would that literally ever happen? The guys upstairs wouldn't have such a lovable rogue as the face of the club. They want Piers Morgan

Elchele

Blackhead

Redarse
Not even Klopp @ Arsenal would be able to stop the Leicester train.

Where would Leicester's points tally have them at this point in other seasons?
22 days ago by Geedz13 said:
There's been a lot of talk about Leicester's incredible story and rightly so, but people also talk about how many teams are underperforming- I guess also rightly so.

I was interested, and looked into the points totals at the point where most teams would have played 31 games (Like Leicester and most other teams have this season) to see where Leicester would sit with the 66 points they have now. I've gone back 10 years to 2005/6.
Info cited from premierleague.com

2005/6- Leicester would sit in 3rd, level on points with Man United in 2nd but behind on Goal Difference. Chelsea sit in 1st 13 points ahead of 15/16 Leicester and United.

2006/7- Leicester would again sit in 3rd, but this time they would be 6 points behind Chelsea in 2nd, and 12 points behind Man United sitting at the top.
2007/2008- Unsurprisingly, Leicester again would sit in 3rd, 1 point behind Arsenal and 4 behind Man United.
This season was pretty interesting, in the other 2 the 4th and 5th places were on similar point totals to West Ham and Man city now, but the totals were much higher here (Liverpool in 4th with 59, Everton 5th with 56

2008/2009- Leicester in... Yep you guessed it, 3rd Place! This time its a lot closer, only 2 points seperate them, United in 1st, and Liverpool in 2nd.

2009/10- In the interest of mixing things up Leicester decide to settle for 4th place here, 1 point behind Arsenal in 3rd, 2 behind Chelsea in 2nd and 3 behind United who are running the show. Leicester are 11 points clear of Tottenham who would be sitting in 5th.

2010/11- Here Leicester would actually be joint top with Man United but with a goal difference that leaves them sitting in 2nd, they sit 7 points ahead of 3rd Place Arsenal though.

2011/12- Back to the familiar territory of 3rd, Leicester are 5 points behind 3rd place City and 7 behind top of the table Man United. (We all remember how this season panned out though, or do you not Knooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow?)

2012/13- The last season of the fergie era, Leicester sit in 2nd, 1 point ahead of Man city and 11 behind Man United. 11, Just in case you needed a reminder of how boring this season was.

2013/14- Leicester are now in 4th, sitting 2 points ahead of Arsenal, 4 behind Chelsea in 3rd, 6 behind 2nd place City and 8 behind top of the table... Wait what, Liverpool? Yep, we all remember how this went down, or did it slip your mind?

2014/15- The 2nd most boring season in recent memory (After 12/13), Chelsea sit 7 points ahead of Leicester, who are joint second with Arsenal but fall short on Goal Difference yet again, they sit 1 point ahead of 4th Place Man United.

TL;DR
1st Place positions - 0
2nd Place positions - 2 (1 on Goal Difference)
3rd Place positions - 6 (2 on Goal Difference
4th Place positions - 2
So in no seasons do Leicester outright top the Premier League, falling short on Goal Difference in one Instance. In this season however, Leicester not only top the league but lead it by 8 points.

Disclaimer
Don't take this as me trying to discredit Leicester because my team are shit and I'm bitter about other people's success. I was just interested and wanted to do anything other than essay writing.
Again not meant to disparage Leicester (or Spurs for that matter). The leap Leicester has made this season is an amazing effort. I'm more astounded that Arsenal and Arsene have failed so badly this season.

Syder

Predictions for European ties this week?

Manchester City 1-2 Paris Saint-Germain

Real Madrid 3-1 VfL Wolfsburg

Atlético Madrid 2-2 Barcelona

Benfica 0-0 Bayern Munich

Liverpool 1-2 Borussia Dortmund

I'm going with the away teams I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom