• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack cw

A defence with

----------------Neuer------------------
Lahm - Boateng - Hummels - Alaba
------------Vidal - Martinez-----------

would be pretty insane. Coupled with Carlo as Italian...

Gambit

A defence with

----------------Neuer------------------
Lahm - Boateng - Hummels - Alaba
------------Vidal - Martinez-----------

would be pretty insane. Coupled with Carlo as Italian...

EDIT: Although Vidal and Martinez in front of Alaba-Hummels-Boateng-Lahm would be absolutely insane. That defence with an Italian coach would be just about impenetrable.

Glad we are in agreement.

I think by now it's pretty much a done deal.

even though I would have preferred Hummels to stay put, I can't argue that it would not make sense.

Jack cw

What was the alternative?
The only defender that has the class and is "available" would have been Laporte, but not for under 50 million and he can basically choose his next club. Hummels is from Bayerns youth, German international and has a lot of experience and opening skills and won WC with Boateng.

Sure, we could go for talents like Tah or Romagnioli, but they need time to reach a constant level in a top 3 club and we can't seriously plan with Boateng alone plus one talent. Carlo obviously sees Martinez as midfielder and temporary defender, so we need at least one reliable CB outside Boateng. We had the chance to get Varane, but choose Benatia, who will leave or Badstuber depending on his health state.

All it needs now is placing Kimmich as right full back as Lahm successor and maybe a guy like Alexis Sanchez to have 3 world class wingers, when Robbery retire. Thiago and Götze are both young and skilled enough for attacking midfielders.

GHG

Is Hummels actually a good defender though? I've always thought of him as more of a ball playing centre back, not someone who you would 100% back to get things right in defensive situations.

But then, I guess Bayern don't usually have to do much defending anyway.

Firemind

Vertonghen and Alderweireld

You pay extra tax for Hummels because it's from a direct competitor. Not that Bayern have been shy to buy up Dortmund's squad.

Not that the Spurs want to let them go anyway since they seem to have title aspirations.

GHG

Vertonghen and Alderweireld

You pay extra tax for Hummels because it's from a direct competitor. Not that Bayern have been shy to buy up Dortmund's squad.

Not that the Spurs want to let them go anyway since they seem to have title aspirations.

Levy is a businessman.

Everybody in that squad has a price.

Jack cw

Is Hummels actually a good defender though? I've always thought of him as more of a ball playing centre back, not someone who you would 100% back to get things right in defensive situations.

But then, I guess Bayern don't usually have to do much defending anyway.

He is good and could help any team in the world. Yes, he has some ridiculous blackouts at times but I think for those conditions, Bayern get an upgrade to Benatia that we bought for the same price.

Oh, and:

Süddeutsche Zeitung
just published an article and according to their information Hummels and his father are only negotiating about some last small details with Bayern. Neither City nor Barca were real alternatives, they were used to get the salary to 10 million a year. If SZ writes this, the deal is done.

TrueBlue

Wouldn't surprise me, fucking snakes.

If you weren't good enough for the other 37 matches, then it's your own fault.

Still, probably not the smartest comment for Hazard et al to come out with. Perhaps if they had shown the same passion earlier in the season, we wouldn't be 9th.

I blame Cathy

What a shit show

Stage 5?
Sorry Milch

No seriously though. I just don't get why he should go to any other TOP 5 team other than Bayern.

With Bayern he doesn't have to learn a new language, doesn't need to live abroad, knows several of the players from the national team, has a rock solid managerial situation unlike some other top clubs and gets as much money as anywhere else.

Because of the rivalery? That's shit the fans made up, he doesn't care, and he doesn't care about the fans, why would he.

If you really think about it, Bayern is the only choice that makes sense.

Blablurn

And yes....Bayern was the club that sent him away but if Bayern pays 30m to buy him back, + 40m for the contract, that's like the ultimate "told you so, guys" from hummels at bayern. i'm sure he can live with that excuse from bayern.

Jack cw

And yes....Bayern was the club that sent him away but if Bayern pays 30m to buy him back, + 40m for the contract, that's like the ultimate "told you so, guys" from hummels at bayern. i'm sure he can live with that excuse from bayern.

tumblr_n00cz6wpP61rhs8mlo1_250.gif

Gambit

I agree absolutely that he is the ideal solution looking at it objectively. But I didn't think it was possible at all.

Good point actually. It proves they consider him very valuable now. Gerland will be over the moon.

Ha!

Beefy

The only defender that has the class and is "available" would have been Laporte, but not for under 50 million and he can basically choose his next club. Hummels is from Bayerns youth, German international and has a lot of experience and opening skills and won WC with Boateng.

Sure, we could go for talents like Tah or Romagnioli, but they need time to reach a constant level in a top 3 club and we can't seriously plan with Boateng alone plus one talent. Carlo obviously sees Martinez as midfielder and temporary defender, so we need at least one reliable CB outside Boateng. We had the chance to get Varane, but choose Benatia, who will leave or Badstuber depending on his health state.

All it needs now is placing Kimmich as right full back as Lahm successor and maybe a guy like Alexis Sanchez to have 3 world class wingers, when Robbery retire. Thiago and Götze are both young and skilled enough for attacking midfielders.

Do you think you will go for Tah as well? CB has been a problem for Bayern.

DerZuhälter;201824971 said:
Stage 5?
Sorry Milch

No seriously though. I just don't get why he should go to any other TOP 5 team other than Bayern.

With Bayern he doesn't have to learn a new language, doesn't need to live abroad, knows several of the players from the national team, has a rock solid managerial situation unlike some other top clubs and gets as much money as anywhere else.

Because of the rivalery? That's shit the fans made up, he doesn't care, and he doesn't care about the fans, why would he.

If you really think about it, Bayern is the only choice that makes sense.
Well, the thing is that all the shit he said in the past will get back to him. I wanna learn a new language, play abroad, the stuff on Götze, one title with BVB means more than 10 with Bayern, ...

Would make the Götze transfer look like nothing.

Jack cw

Do you think you will go for Tah as well? CB has been a problem for Bayern.

I can't imagine that honestly.
We do have a structural problem though: Badstuber, Boateng, Martinez and Hummels (27) are all at the same age, so we have to get two talents either from our own youth or from somewhere else in the next 3 or 4 years. The (possible) Hummels move gives us a bit more time to get the right boys. We do need a successor to Lahm though. He will retire in 2 years and I think that Bayern might try it with Carvajal but that would be extremely difficult. Maybe Bellerin.

Much will depend on what the club does with Benatia and how reliable Badstuber will be. There was talk about Tah, Süle and Romagnioli from Milan, but from what I've seen Tah is the most promising, but an option maybe in 2 or 3 years, because right now he would not get any play time, given that Ancelotti rarely changes the CB couple.

Well, the thing is that all the shit he said in the past will get back to him. I wanna learn a new language, play abroad, the stuff on Götze, one title with BVB means more than 10 with Bayern, ...

Would make the Götze transfer look like nothing.

I think Götze was a different situation.
BVB were national double winners and looked solid in two of three competitions. League was done, Bayern had 20 points more than them. It looked as if the "natural balance" of Bayern dominating nationally was about to be restored. Furthermore Pep was about to take over.
But it hadn't happened yet at the point in time when Götze returned to Bayern.

That's what Hummels critizied.

"Können Sie den wechsel zu Bayern (von Götze) nachvollziehen?"

"Nein, das habe ich ihm auch so gesagt. Es hat jeden in der Mannschaft überrascht. Das zeigt doch, dass es vorher nie ein großes Thema war. Jeder hat doch gesehen, wie gut unsere Mannschaft ist. Ich glaube einfach, dass es sportlich wenig bis keine Gründe gibt oder gab, uns zu verlassen. Man konnte sehen, wie sich unser Team entwickelt hat, und Mario hat sich mit vielen super verstanden. Deshalb hat es mich auch so geärgert, dass er der Meinung war, so früh weggehen zu müssen."

He thought Götze left early and without any reasons. He saw Dortmund's team as competitive.

This isn't the case now I believe. Dortmund is about to lose several top players. Aubameyang and Mhkytaryan will be targets for top clubs, Gündogan is already gone. They have been eliminated in EuroLeague in shameful fashion, and although they been excellent in Pokal and League they are clearly only second best.

There are more reasons to leave now, then they were at the time when Götze left imho.

I have no idea what to expect from City on Tuesday.

Neither do. And I support the club. Watching the system under Pellegrini at City is pretty much no different than the system he used when at Real but it is the choice of players he decides to use in how we will play and there are quite a few variables that could either be utter shit or brilliant. I'm hoping it is the slightly more reserved and controlled stuff he has been using in other CL games because some of the stuff he does in the Premier League would be a disaster. I'm just hoping that both rounds are as good as the second round last time the teams met in the CL because that was a great game.

I'm hoping to see the City lineup as:
-------------------Hart-------------------
Sagna - Otamendi - Mangala - Clichy
--------Fernando - Fernandinho-------
------Navas - de Bruyne - Silva--------
------------------Aguero-----------------

I'd have switched Navas/Silva with Nasri but he isn't eligible. Mangala and Kompany don't play well together, Kompany and Otamendi are both far too gung-ho, Otamendi and Mangagla now have a system where they are working well together and as last season went to show Otamendi is damn good against Real and just hope Mangala has his big game face on where he can boss anyone, otherwise Bale will turn him over. If Silva is out of form as he has been all season then bring on Sterling and use the pace to hit the flanks and stretch the back giving Aguero and de Bruyne room to attack. Then it is up to the Ferns to prevent Modric and Kroos from controlling the midfield (which I personally think is the weakness of Real, stop them from playing and it opens up the back but that is easier said than done).

DerZuhälter;201829997 said:
I think Götze was a different situation.
BVB were national double winners and looked solid in two of three competitions. League was done, Bayern had 20 points more than them. It looked as if the "natural balance" of Bayern dominating nationally was about to be restored. Furthermore Pep was about to take over.
But it hadn't happened yet at the point in time when Götze returned to Bayern.

That's what Hummels critizied.

He thought Götze left early and without any reasons. He saw Dortmund's team as competitive.

This isn't the case now I believe. Dortmund is about to lose several top players. Aubameyang and Mhkytaryan will be targets for top clubs, Gündogan is already gone. They have been eliminated in EuroLeague in shameful fashion, and although they been excellent in Pokal and League they are clearly only second best.

There are more reasons to leave now, then they were at the time when Götze left imho.
Well, two sides of a medal and all.

We have a much better overall squad than 2013, we pay higher wages, we're on track to play the best Bundesliga season in club history during our new coach's first year (which was expected to be a difficult transition period after Klopp), Bayern gets a new coach which can possibly influence their next season performance. You might argue it's a worse time to leave now than in 2013.

Blablurn

We have a much better overall squad than 2013, we pay higher wages, we're on track to play the best Bundesliga season in club history during our new coach's first year (which was expected to be a difficult transition period after Klopp), Bayern gets a new coach which can possibly influence their next season performance. You might argue it's a worse time to leave now than in 2013.

i for one wish your team all the best cause only a healthy bundesliga is a healthy bundesliga

Jack cw

The other thing is, Hummels is 27 now, it's his prime and if he wants a title guarantee or something like that, there are only 2 clubs with a decent probability for the CL title. The Klopp project ended sadly last year and while Tuchel brought BVB back on track in an incredible way, they are still away from the team they were around 2011-2013. Things like Liverpool happen, but there is a lot of work to do. They were more than 20 points behind in the league the last years, lost the national cup 2 times in a row and the gap couldn't even closed with the best season in their history.

I think Hummels saw it like that, his post interview after the defeat in Anfield made him sound very discouraged, because this was the most likely and easiest title to win because no Bayern, Barca or Real were there. He is a professional and can't rely on a fragile hope of Bayern struggling because of a new coach. It's not only us but a realistic and objective view on what current BVB could achieve in CL, and we all know they have only small chances.

There is also the possibility of Mickytaryan ans Aubameyang leaving soon and that would mean another process of building a new team that breaks appart after the cycle is done. It's very hard for Dortmund to keep their players and the core of a successfull squad over years and that missing consistency in the end made him think about jumping to a club that promises all that Dortmund can't.

If Hummels wants a CL title, he needs to go to Barca. As great as your team currently is, you've only won it once in recent times. And it is pretty damn hard to win.

However, it doesn't matter, it's Cathy.

Blablurn

I just thought about what number to get for my germany kit

then i saw ... we dont have many national team players anymore

müller = i got on the bayern kit

neuer = keeper

boateng = i like him, but not much to have him on the kit

götze = gone soon, dont care

and thats it

Team Germany is like half Dortmund.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
If you weren't good enough for the other 37 matches, then it's your own fault.
Still, probably not the smartest comment for Hazard et al to come out with. Perhaps if they had shown the same passion earlier in the season, we wouldn't be 9th.
I'm not refuting that. It's a shame when you consider we have the most goals scored and the least conceded, the top scoring striker in the league and not a single red.

I'm not mad if we don't win, at the end of the day the team that is the most consistent takes home the trophy, doesn't stop me hoping. But trash talk from that melt can do one.

Levy is a businessman.

Everybody in that squad has a price.
Levy may be a good business man but you'd have to offer a shit-tonne to take away the players that facilitated the best defense in the league.
You lot have actually got to play chelsea before Leicester play then so I'd worry about that first if I were you.

Also as for whether you'll have a chance like this again, don't bank on it. All the big boys will be back again next season so it will be a mighty battle to even get in the top 4 again, nevermind win the thing.

I dont even think arsenal will finish in the top 4 again next season if wenger is still here. It would be bloody typical if he fucks off the one season we dont get top 4 and then leaves us in tatters.

Yeah Chelsea away is a tough tough fixture. 26 years tell us there isn't a chance, but if there was ever a time we could do it, it's now.

As for your speculation to whether we'll be back next year, I'll think I'll stay confident.

I'm not refuting that. It's a shame when you consider we have the most goals scored and the least conceded, the top scoring striker in the league and not a single red.

That's not entirely correct though that could change tonight, you don't have the most goals scored that is Manchester City with 66, Tottenham are on 64. The rest is all on point though. With the way Tottenham has been playing and who they are against they should walk the remaining games. You just have to hope Leicester slip but that looks highly doubtful though there last games could be tricky with United, Everton and Chelsea.

GHG

Looking forward to seeing Spurs take the most boring team/squad/club/manager apart tonight.

Imagine they lose and then Vardy comes away from his hearing tomorrow without a suspension so he can play at Old Trafford.

Scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom