• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who should they sign? Striker is one of the hardest positions to find top class talent at.
Plus, what would LvG do with Rooney?

They should pay Bayern the €80M or whatever it takes to get Muller. Really the issue isn't how good Rooney is. No world class team should rely on one 30 year old striker to lead their attack. If Rooney runs down their second best option was playing in Eredevisie last year.

Gambit

They should pay Bayern the €80M or whatever it takes to get Muller. Really the issue isn't how good Rooney is. No world class team should rely on one 30 year old striker to lead their attack. If Rooney runs down their second best option was playing in Eredevisie last year.

they could pay Bayern €100M and they wouldn't accept. They don't need the money and he is one player they don't ever want to lose. But I agree that United needs a new striker (having only seen last night's game). Rooney is so immobile and doesn't help on the wings at all.

Blablurn

CMxxjnVWcAAFxDN.jpg:large

he's back again

Jarnet87

Zlatan would be a solid short term signing for United. he only wants to play another season or two before moving to MLS. He'd fit van Gaal's system better then Rooney, and despite turning 34 he's still in great shape and form. Could score 15-20 league goals. He's also a massive pain in the ass. Dybala was the most Aguero or Suarez like striker out there to be had this summer and Juve scooped him up quickly.

Only way I could see Muller moving is if Pep was in more control and was set to be at the club longer.

Firemind

Who should they sign? Striker is one of the hardest positions to find top class talent at.
Plus, what would LvG do with Rooney?
Rooney has the tendency to go to midfield to claim the ball. That's not what Van Gaal should want. He needs someone who can keep the two CBs busy, thus creating space for the other attacking players and put the ball behind the net. In other words, a classic in-the-box striker like Van Nistelrooij. As to who to look for, Dost made 16 goals in 21 appearances for Wolfsburg last year. He's only 26. Lacazette, 24 years old, scored 27 goals in 33 appearances for Olympique Lyon last year. Soriano of Red Bull Salzburg scored over 30 goals in the last two seasons, 26 in his first season. Falcao would have done it if it weren't for his poor attitude. Muller isn't a classic striker but could get the job done. Bloody expensive though.

Kill3r7

We could offer Bayern €150M and Bayern would not be interested.

Fuck sake, first Otamendi and now Pedro. We are still sorely missing key signings for a defender and striker. I know Pedro wouldn't have been sufficient on that front but he would have at least been something, that too for around 20 mill. And we've wasted most of the window bidding for unattainable players like Bale, Muller and Ramos.

We've sold Di Maria. We've got an ageing past his prime Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin - and this combination has effectively benched one of our strongest players. And we have Depay - jury still out on how he's going to function against PL teams. Our most solid signing has been Darmian. Rooney's form is off and even if he does regain it, he's no Costa or Aguero. And to top it all off, we completely lack creativity and pace.

Looks like this year is going to be a battle for top 4.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
No one great is going for United.

Schneiderlin could be great for Utd but I feel like so far he has just blended into the background. LVG is still trying to play him and Carrick when they really only need one with another attacking midfielder to help Rooney.

yagal

Olympique Marseille have hired Spaniard Michel as coach after the shock resignation of Marcelo Bielsa over a contract dispute earlier this month, the Ligue 1 club said on Wednesday.

The former Real Madrid player, whose real name is Jose Miguel Gonzalez del Campo, has started immediately, Marseille, who finished fourth last season, announced on their website, saying: "A new page in the club's history begins".

eurosport.co.uk

CMxm9wrWsAASps_.png

Fuck u Bielsa

Never wanted Pedro anyway, not United quality.
Kappa
This is getting pretty embarrassing. The transfer window started out so well too. We need someone who can score goals because Rooney isn't doing it, especially when he has his back to goal and drifts into midfield in almost every build up. I'm pretty sour about missing out on Pedro. Mane better not be a real target...

Never wanted Pedro anyway, not United quality.
Kappa
This is getting pretty embarrassing. The transfer window started out so well too. We need someone who can score goals because Rooney isn't doing it, especially when he has his back to goal and drifts into midfield in almost every build up. I'm pretty sour about missing out on Pedro. Mane better not be a real target...

Southampton just said they'd had no approach for him I think

RagingPhoenix

Neo Member
Zlatan would be a solid short term signing for United. he only wants to play another season or two before moving to MLS. He'd fit van Gaal's system better then Rooney, and despite turning 34 he's still in great shape and form. Could score 15-20 league goals. He's also a massive pain in the ass.

I would pay decent money to see a Zlatan vs Van Gaal one on one :D

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how Mane would do somewhere else. He seems quite erratic most of the time but is given enough space on the pitch to do good things. I just wonder if any other manager and team would let him play like that. I can't help but feel it's another Lovren situation.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
This Mane news is like some dodgy transfer straight from FIFA's manager mode.

Yeah I would've thought were safe now most of the 2013/14 team are gone. Mane was bought in under Koeman and starts almost every game. I don't see why Saints would consider selling him in the next few years (not that you can stop players going but still)

Meier

Mane is a good player and could be a nice signing for them if it comes off, but there's no question he'd end up costing more than what Chelsea will pay for Pedro. If and when Mane costs £25-30m, the backlash from fans will be palpable.

But they'll get over it when he flies up the pitch like a bat out of hell.

Moobabe

Mane is a good player and could be a nice signing for them if it comes off, but there's no question he'd end up costing more than what Chelsea will pay for Pedro. If and when Mane costs £25-30m, the backlash from fans will be palpable.

But they'll get over it when he flies up the pitch like a bat out of hell.

I wonder how Mane would do somewhere else. He seems quite erratic most of the time but is given enough space on the pitch to do good things. I just wonder if any other manager and team would let him play like that. I can't help but feel it's another Lovren situation.

I'm somewhere between these two points of view: some players look good because of the space afforded them by being in a, no disrespect intended, smaller team. Teams will be much more willing to open up and have a go at Southampton than they will Man United - he's never struck me as a guy who can unlock packed defenses.

I'm somewhere between these two points of view: some players look good because of the space afforded them by being in a, no disrespect intended, smaller team. Teams will be much more willing to open up and have a go at Southampton than they will Man United - he's never struck me as a guy who can unlock packed defenses.

I dunno, people thought the same about Valencia, and he was great for us until his injury ruined his pace.

Turok_TTZ

Kek at Manutd on pedro.

Why are the english media so persistent on my Benz? I would imagine CR7 is sad would sell more papers than Benz to Manutd or Arsenal.

Bale is a shit. Not amusing isco and james outplaying him yet Bale will be starting. fml.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom