• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Moc

Banned
Financial Fair Play is a myth

Don't be ridiculous, Manchester City legitimately earned £166m last season in commercial revenue last year, more than Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. Why wouldn't they? They're a bigger club with a bigger fanbase, no?

LOL

Meier

Probably Navas even though he's been decent so far this season.
Navas is still quite 1-dimensional in his play but I've been pretty happy with his performance in the first two games, especially versus Chelsea. He seems to have modified his crossing style a bit and is aiming for more ground crosses to the top of the box which has been effective. I was pretty nervous when we took him off for Nasri because of the difference in their work rate and defensive willingness but fortunately it worked out fine.

I think if/when KDB signs, we'll probably give Nasri the chance to look for a new club but I wouldn't necessarily expect it. My biggest concern about all this is us losing Rony Lopes which seems a real possibility.

KDB done fantastic at Wolfsburg

And Wolfsburg have done fantastic to receive 70M euros

I wonder what they will do with that money. It will be hard to replace De Bruyne. He played a fantastic season and pretty much single handedly secured the second place in the Bundesliga for Wolfsburg.

On another note: Pep Guardiola sees no future for FCB talents Sinan Kurt, Julian Green and Luca Gaudino. They won't be playing for Bayern's first team anymore. I really dislike Bayern (who doesn't?), but at least they constantly boosted excellent young talents like Müller, Lahm, Schweinsteiger or Hummels. Well, Pep will be gone next year anyway.

Blablurn

VW invested a lot. And at one point they also wanna earn a lot. Thats the case with the De Bruyne money. I doubt they will go on a huge buying spree now. VW will take a huge amount back.

Chelsea still in on Stones and going after Pogba now? I hope to god Chelsea, City and United spend the rest of the transfer window trying to outspend each other.

Chelsea still in on Stones and going after Pogba now? I hope to god Chelsea, City and United spend the rest of the transfer window trying to outspend each other.

Don't see United making any big purchases. In fact, their net spend is in single figures. As for Chelsea and Pogba, get the feeling Barcelona will/have already tagged him either for January or next summer. Overall, think City will come out on top as the big spenders.

Im of the opinion that whilst we are trying to do the deal (theres too much smoke for it not to be true) we won't get it done and I'm hesitant to say that we should get it done.

Pogba is a world class player and he would be an incredible signing, I don't care about the transfer fee, you can see we have sold plenty over the last 2 years or so and we did it so if we wanted to spend big we could.

But Pogba isn't just about signing one player, does Cesc move forwards? or do we play 4-3-3? What about Oscar? Willian? My concern is only that I'm not sure that with 10 days left of the window shuffling all these players off (plus Moses, Cuadrado and possible Mikel or Ramires) is a particularly good idea.

It would give us a truly world class squad though, decent depth and players that Jose will want to play and have proper choices and competition for places but ultimately I think 10 days is far too little to get the 5 or so deals done that all this would lead to.

Also, I feel like we would be going from "Hey, Chelsea are spending the money to buy players they should have already bought - Baba, Pedro, Stones" too, "Oh shit the house is on fire BUY BUY BUY". I trust the club to do what is right and it would be incredible but I'm skeptical it would all come off very well.

Jarnet87

Don't see United making any big purchases. In fact, their net spend is in single figures. As for Chelsea and Pogba, get the feeling Barcelona will/have already tagged him either for January or next summer. Overall, think City will come out on top as the big spenders.

it's amazing how a lot of United fans have acted over this transfer window. We got Depay in May, then right before the preseason tour Woody got Schweinsteiger, Darmian, and Schneiderlin all sown up. This is the best transfer window we've had since the summer of 2007. I don't think we'll make another signing but who knows. We got everything done at the end of the window last year so there is still a lot of time.

it's amazing how a lot of United fans have acted over this transfer window. We got Depay in May, then right before the preseason tour Woody got Schweinsteiger, Darmian, and Schneiderlin all sown up. This is the best transfer window we've had since the summer of 2007. I don't think we'll make another signing but who knows. We got everything done at the end of the window last year so there is still a lot of time.

I'm happy with the signings but I'm disappointed at the overall process so far. Maybe it's because in the end, we haven't improved a whole lot over the glaring deficiencies. We didn't have any solid/stand-out strikers last season and we've now gotten rid of Falcao and Van Persie and left Rooney with the expectation of 20+ goals. We've also lost Di Maria who could have been great given more time and a return to his initial season form. Jury still out on Depay but he could be solid. Our defence is still shaky. Smalling has improved immensely since his post-City send-off and Darmian has been a good buy but the midfield covers a lot of the current weaknesses. We didn't really need many more improvements in midfield, either Schweinsteiger or Schneiderlin could have been good complements to Carrick. Buying both was a bit overboard when you consider we also have Blind and Herrera (one has been put in an ill-suited position and the other has been benched).

Even Van Gaal conceded we needed someone with lots of pace and creativity and we haven't gotten that yet. It's clear that there are 2 voids where someone like Ramos and Muller/Bale should be. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been so much drama over attempts to sign those players.

You have to remember that the aim last season was top 4 and this season it is supposedly title contenders. Do you really think this team are title contenders?

Meier

Lots of rumors that Demichelis may return to River Plate to replace their outgoing CB Funes Mori. :( Not sure how this affects the Denayer situation if it comes off. The story I'd read a few days ago said that River wouldn't be willing to pay a transfer fee but I suppose if we rip up his contract, we'll probably get out of owing him any sort of loyalty bonus, etc. which would probably be similar to what we'd get at best.

Have you seen some of Ferguson's teams he had to work with?

Yeah, but this is Van Gaal. Who spent an entire season obsessing over a crappy formation and was given Di Maria only to play him in every bizarre position except his natural one (no wonder he had a breakdown) and then thrust Rooney into midfield, and only managed to scrape into the top 4.

Even assuming that wasn't an issue any longer (as it doesn't seem to be), look at the team and then contrast that with the strength of the City and Chelsea teams and you realise you have a problem with any contention that United are possible title contenders.

Jarnet87

I'm happy with the signings but I'm disappointed at the overall process so far. Maybe it's because in the end, we haven't improved a whole lot over the glaring deficiencies. We didn't have any solid/stand-out strikers last season and we've now gotten rid of Falcao and Van Persie and left Rooney with the expectation of 20+ goals. We've also lost Di Maria who could have been great given more time and a return to his initial season form. Jury still out on Depay but he could be solid. Our defence is still shaky. Smalling has improved immensely since his post-City send-off and Darmian has been a good buy but the midfield covers a lot of the current weaknesses. We didn't really need many more improvements in midfield, either Schweinsteiger or Schneiderlin could have been good complements to Carrick. Buying both was a bit overboard when you consider we also have Blind and Herrera (one has been put in an ill-suited position and the other has been benched).

Even Van Gaal conceded we needed someone with lots of pace and creativity and we haven't gotten that yet. It's clear that there are 2 voids where someone like Ramos and Muller/Bale should be. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been so much drama over attempts to sign those players.

You have to remember that the aim last season was top 4 and this season it is supposedly title contenders. Do you really think this team are title contenders?

I think we've improved our talent and depth. Title contender? Maybe. If by some miracle we can stay healthy why not. If City or Chelsea lose some key players they are just as vulnerable. I'd say were looking similar to Mou's Chelsea from 2 seasons ago. A team that is strong defensively with some creativity up front but lacking a great goal scorer. We need Rooney to be that goal scorer if were gonna win it.

We've upgraded the midfield by great strides, right back, and Depay is the type of player we were missing. Nice strides, still got work to do.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
So Malaga and Sevilla ended up 0-0. I put an alarm clock to watch it but fell back asleep and missed it. It looks like I made a good decision. The real La Liga starts on Sunday anyway.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Imagine Neymar at Utd, then Van Gaal ruins him
EWmof.gif

I wonder what they will do with that money. It will be hard to replace De Bruyne. He played a fantastic season and pretty much single handedly secured the second place in the Bundesliga for Wolfsburg.

On another note: Pep Guardiola sees no future for FCB talents Sinan Kurt, Julian Green and Luca Gaudino. They won't be playing for Bayern's first team anymore. I really dislike Bayern (who doesn't?), but at least they constantly boosted excellent young talents like Müller, Lahm, Schweinsteiger or Hummels. Well, Pep will be gone next year anyway.

I seriously don't see this hurting Gaudino. When it comes to Kurt he is a brat and Green really should just be permanently transferred out.

But Gaudino is a great young talent and already has a lot of skills to where he could play in the Bundesliga (not for bayern yet) but his biggest thing is that he is still too weak. He needs to get better and stronger physically and then he can really blossom. So I don't see it hurting his development.

Fdkn

Probably worth reading the story in this tweet to better understand it: https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/634418720866222080.

I have a fair knowledge about balance sheets and that article is going through some crazy hoops to reach its conclusion.

Yes, player signing costs are amortised for years, normally for the duration of the initial contract. That has nothing to do with calculating if the club breaks even on a given fiscal year, so you can't fool the FFP regulations with that line of thinking.

But let's be generous and assume that's right and this year their net spending is 'closer to £16m to £20m per year' so they aren't really losing money... unless we do it right and we take into consideration the accumulated amortization for the signings of previous years as we are doing with the current one.
I'm not going to look for the data but the article itself states that they've lost '£606m between 2006-07 and 2012-13' so we can assume that the number is not low at all.
I think we all know how the rest goes.

So googling around I just found this from june and now I get it.

They are spending as much as they want because they can 'for now'. They'll probably have to face a new sanction in the future when regulations are fixed and their financial results are all over the place but it's not like Sheik Mansour cares about that.

Q: Anything else?

A: Can we talk about football now please?

He better does.

Not with Messi

image.php

Still time lol

----

Just watched the first half of the PSG game Pastore looked brilliant for the 8 minutes before an injury, after that they looked toothless going forward it comes as no surprise that Matuidi got the only goal.

Only other observations were that Cavani drops too deep and it took me half an hour to realise Lucas was on the pitch.

Turok_TTZ

While I am hardcore Benz fan, even I sometimes cannot fathom what Benz does. Like for example his diamond encrusted football.

Why..?

If Chelsea were to sign Stones and Pogba it would mean Mourinho would have a lot more options. His best team at the moment has only really played one way consistently. Ultra defensive and suffocating while playing on the break.

If they played Stones, Zouma and Pogba the team would play entirely differently. Defensive line would be much higher and players like Hazard would score a lot more goals or win a lot more fouls because he'd be part of a pressing team.

Still, I don't see both happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom