• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

cebri.one

it's a long season.... new coach, no Benzema, James on the bench(lol).

James on the bench was the weirdest thing i've seen Benitez doing in a while. Madrid needs 4 in the middle to keep control of the game and play better, Ancelotti showed that last year. Howeve i don't think benitez wants to play that way.

Dark Rider

Playing without a striker and starting with two players (Isco and Jese) who couldn't pass longer than 5 meters even if their life would depend on it didn't help either.

Isco and Jese both better than you give them credit for
having a bad match happen but they are better than this

Barça and Atlético at the top of the table. Get used to it Madrid fans.

insecure about your team from the very beginning? :p

Loliga wrapped up in week 1, guess there is the quest for European glory Madrid, AKA win Champions League or get fired.

such is the life in the best league in the world skill and technique wise
they are super teams so one mistake could be lethal
but fret not having more than one super team in the league means they can do what other teams local or international see as a lost cause
everyone welcome to watch and learn football at its highest level of course :p

it's a long season.... new coach, no Benzema, James on the bench(lol).
James on the bench was the weirdest thing i've seen Benitez doing in a while. Madrid needs 4 in the middle to keep control of the game and play better, Ancelotti showed that last year. Howeve i don't think benitez wants to play that way.

the biggest thing for us is that we are still suffering our problems from last season:
so we start the season 2 points behind :(
we have the same problems from last season

we build our attack very slowly which give our opponent the necessary time to organize their defense against any move we make. and we are indecisive when facing the goal.

cebri.one

CNH1TqvWwAADl7y.png

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Isco and Jese both better than you give them credit for
having a bad match happen but they are better than this

I haven't said that they are not good players, just that they can't pass. Starting with two players that can't pass in a team that desperately needs good long passes for Ronaldo and Bale to function properly is what produces boring games like in first half.

Dark Rider

I didn't said that they are not good players, just that they can't pass. Starting with two players that can't pass in a team that desperately needs good long passes for Ronaldo and Bale to function properly is what produces boring games like in first half.

they can pass
having a bad day doesn't make them not able to pass
Ronaldo and Bale able to use long crosses for sure and it would be good sometimes
not too many of them however

Cappa

Banned
I didn't said that they are not good players, just that they can't pass. Starting with two players that can't pass in a team that desperately needs good long passes for Ronaldo and Bale to function properly is what produces boring games like in first half.
Have you seen isco play, ever? his two best traits are dribbling and passing.

If he ever builds any sort of shooting ability there will be few midfielders out there that could touch him.

Fyi
https://youtu.be/ES__vbRnN-A

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Have you seen isco play, ever? his two best traits are dribbling and passing.

If he ever builds any sort of shooting ability there will be few midfielders out there that could touch him.

Fyi
https://youtu.be/ES__vbRnN-A

Those 4 or 5 long passes in the video are most probably half of what he successfully made the whole last season. Because yeah, I've seen him play. He's a good player, he has very good ball control and a great dribbling, but too many times he's more of a brake for Real's fast actions.If you check the statistics of last season, he didn't have that many assists either. But he scores very well at presentation.

edit: and anyhow my point was that it's not wise to play with both Isco and Jese from the start, them being quite similar in style. Not against defensive teams.

Blablurn

About De Bruyne and a move to either City or Bayern

It's in the Kicker and Bild print, so no link.

from Bild:

-De Bruyne would rather come to us than City. Decision needs to come this week. De Bruyne's circle has touched base with Bayern last week. He would take less money to stay in the Bundesliga. A transfer agreement now with a 1 year stay in Wolfsburg has been suggested. We will decide in the next few days, but are leaning against it. The risk is too big because we do not know what will happen in a year from now

From Kicker:

-De Bruyne would prefer to transfer immediately with the destination being Munich. Bayern management has opted against his transfer for this summer. Wolfsburg could have agreed to a deal with City days ago, but have asked for a couple days to consider. Speculation that it is because of Bayern and the Winterkorn connection.

Gambit

About De Bruyne and a move to either City or Bayern

It's in the Kicker and Bild print, so no link.

from Bild:

-De Bruyne would rather come to us than City. Decision needs to come this week. De Bruyne's circle has touched base with Bayern last week. He would take less money to stay in the Bundesliga. A transfer agreement now with a 1 year stay in Wolfsburg has been suggested. We will decide in the next few days, but are leaning against it. The risk is too big because we do not know what will happen in a year from now

From Kicker:

-De Bruyne would prefer to transfer immediately with the destination being Munich. Bayern management has opted against his transfer for this summer. Wolfsburg could have agreed to a deal with City days ago, but have asked for a couple days to consider. Speculation that it is because of Bayern and the Winterkorn connection.

I can't quite believe that we'll keep him from City now, and frankly I don't want him this season. But for next season he'd be great.

Everyone is always saying De Bruyne instead of Götze but I have also been thinking De Bruyne instead of Thiago, to be honest. Maybe because of his injuries but he has not come back as strong as he was at the very beginning. Also his style seems very risky and he occassionally loses the ball in a very dangerous situation because of it.

The Coman business sounds more realistic than De Bruyne to me somehow. Despite knowing basically nothing about the guy.

Cappa

Banned
Those 4 or 5 long passes in the video are most probably half of what he successfully made the whole last season. Because yeah, I've seen him play. He's a good player, he has very good ball control and a great dribbling, but too many times he's more of a brake for Real's fast actions.If you check the statistics of last season, he didn't have that many assists either. But he scores very well at presentation.

edit: and anyhow my point was that it's not wise to play with both Isco and Jese from the start, them being quite similar in style. Not against defensive teams.

How are they the same style of player?

Jese is an AMF known for his pace and strength and isco is a midfield known more for his finesse dribbling and passing and less for his pace and strength both of which are a few of his weaknesses. He is top 10 in pretty much every category in regards to passing. An 88% completion rate on his passes only the likes of xavi Iniesta and Kroos faired better.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How are they the same style of player?

Jese is an AMF known for his pace and strength and isco is a midfield known more for his finesse dribbling and passing and less for his pace and strength both of which are a few of his weaknesses. He is top 10 in pretty much every category in regards to passing. An 88% completion rate on his passes only the likes of xavi Iniesta and Kroos faired better.

I'm talking about long passes, since the beginning of the discussion. Isco makes a lot of short safe passes. Even so, the club is not as exclusive as you make it sound. Beside Kroos, Modric had over 90% pass accuracy last season. Kovacic had almost 88% last season. Anyhow, it's beside the point. I didn't said that Isco wasn't deserving to be in the starting line-up (I always forget how worshiped is Isco around here), I meant to say that having both Isco and Jese there playing what they played (Jese was supposed to be striker according to the line-up, but he very often found himself as AM in a mirror position with Isco) is not very efficient. And it resulted in an utterly boring first half. But if you're happy with the way Real played and with the result, fine.

Cappa

Banned
I'm talking about long passes, since the beginning of the discussion. Isco makes a lot of short safe passes. Even so, the club is not as exclusive as you make it sound. Beside Kroos, Modric had over 90% pass accuracy last season. Kovacic had almost 88% last season. Anyhow, it's beside the point. I didn't said that Isco wasn't deserving to be in the starting line-up (I always forget how worshiped is Isco around here), I meant to say that having both Isco and Jese there playing what they played (Jese was supposed to be striker according to the line-up, but he very often found himself as AM in a mirror position with Isco) is not very efficient. And it resulted in an utterly boring first half. But if you're happy with the way Real played and with the result, fine.
But my point is he does play the long ball in fact his average pass length is 18m per game. Same as modric and one less than Kroos

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But my point is he does play the long ball in fact his average pass length is 18m per game. Same as modric and one less than Kroos

Last season in La Liga:

Isco: 51.4 passes per game, 0.5 crosses per game, 1.4 long balls per game, 0.2 through balls per game

Modric: 60.7 ppg, 0.8 cpg, 5.1 lbpg, 0.2 tbpg

Kroos: 65.4 ppg, 1.6 cpg, 5.8 lbpg, 0.1 tbpg

James: 49.2 ppg, 2.1 cpg, 2.6 lbpg, 0.3 tbpg

And for fun, Marcelo has 55.7 ppg, 3.3 lbpg and 83% accuracy, Ramos has 60.2 ppg, 5.8 lbpg and 90% accuracy, Illaramendi has 33.6 ppg, 2.4 lbpg and 91.4% accuracy and Lucas Silva had 29 ppg, 2.4 lbpg and 90.5% accuracy. Last two playing 60% of the games coming as substitutes.

Kill3r7

OK thanks guys.

Fuck I thought it ended this year. Shit...

If LvG doesn't produce I see us parting ways with him at the end of the season. That said, folks are really overacting after only 3 league games (2 wins and tie) and one UCL qualification game. The game against Newcastle wasn't that bad. We had plenty of chances to win the game. Bad luck and bad finishing cost us the game.

Personally, I am willing to give this Rooney experiment a few more games before deciding to play him at the 10. IMO, there is no link up play between the holding mids and the attacking players. If we intend to pass the ball into the net than we better start passing the ball around quicker. I wish LVG would switch to a traditional 4-3-3 and give Herrera some more playing time.

Jarnet87

Götze at United with Shrek playing behind him would be great

I'm not a big Gotze fan.

If LvG doesn't produce I see us parting ways with him at the end of the season. That said, folks are really overacting after only 3 league games (2 wins and tie) and one UCL qualification game. The game against Newcastle wasn't that bad. We had plenty of chances to win the game. Bad luck and bad finishing cost us the game.

Personally, I am willing to give this Rooney experiment a few more games before deciding to play him at the 10. IMO, there is no link up play between the holding mids and the attacking players. If we intend to pass the ball into the net than we better start passing the ball around quicker. I wish LVG would switch to a traditional 4-3-3 and give Herrera some more playing time.

I don't know if van Gaal will survive the whole third year, but I think he will definitely make it to year 3.

You guys think Giggs might be ready to step straight up after next year?

I think the experience of being managed by Fergie and now being under Louis overrides any need to go and get managerial experience at a small club and, experience aside, there's obviously nobody else who's better suited.

Starting Wilson and Keane upfront when he was in-charge and handing Januzaj the 11 shirt were really encouraging signs.
McNair, Blackett, Pereira, Shaw and Wilson might all flourish under somebody who has so much faith in youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom