• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill3r7

Saw van Gaal's comments about Fellaini playing a striker, he's such an old rigid kunt lol. Just sees players as numbers/positions and where they slot in.

I just watched the presser as well. It sounds like Fellaini will be mostly playing at the 10. Not the worst idea in the world. I think LvG is currently married to the 4-2-3-1. So, there aren't many other position that he could realistically play. Plus, there aren't many players better than Fellaini coming off the bench after the 75th minute. I just don't want him starting every game but he certainly can be useful.

Jarnet87

I just watched the presser as well. It sounds like Fellaini will be mostly playing at the 10. Not the worst idea in the world. I think LvG is currently married to the 4-2-3-1. So, there aren't many other position that he could realistically play. Plus, there aren't many players better than Fellaini coming off the bench after the 75th minute. I just don't want him starting every game but he certainly can be useful.

I think Fellaini is Uniteds next striker

Much rather see him as a 10 then up front. Shit these days he likely has a better first touch and technical ability then Roopney. We need something to break down defenses parking it, and since were not gonna be this free flowing team that can string tricky one twos in the box Fellaini is really our only option outside of Depay magic some magic happen (which at this stage of his career isn't likely to happen consistently).

Turok_TTZ

Finally spanish press showing Benzema some respect in recent time. I am pleased with this.

Benzema has finally returned from his thigh injury... La Liga best check themselves.
No defense safe from Benzema's intelligence and vision.

dYzvTtt.png

I hope he will not be overplayed to injuries like last year.

I find this alleged Pogba pursuit bemusing. Its either him or no-one... we're going to spend all this time on a transfer we won't get done and then not have the time to sign anyone else instead.

If a CM is so important, we should be making sure we are able to fill that space. Doesn't help when neither Mikel or Ramires appear to leaving either.

Turok_TTZ

I mean Atletico Madrid always do a good job, especially when he went missing in that 4-0 slaughter.

That season, Benz saw ball the least. the shift of focus to Bale began last year. Also, why not mention Bale or CR7 who also went missing? better luck next time hueuehuuheheuehue!

Are you Jealous of not having the greatness that is Karim Benzema in your team? I wouldn't be surprised. Benz would walk into any team's starting eleven.

Meanwhile:

CNSuvzTWgAAII-v.jpg:large

Not even my image, Fred hermel being funny. I don't think that is accurate but posting it all the same. Friendly reminder these stats all while being 3rd in attacking pecking order in Real Madrid..

FJ0372

I find this alleged Pogba pursuit bemusing. Its either him or no-one... we're going to spend all this time on a transfer we won't get done and then not have the time to sign anyone else instead.

If a CM is so important, we should be making sure we are able to fill that space. Doesn't help when neither Mikel or Ramires appear to leaving either.

Chelsea fan here...

Ramires is incredibly frustrating. Why can't he learn to pass accurately?

It's not even as if he is positionally clever or disciplined. He's regressed so much since 11/12.

At least with Mikel, you know what you get. a limited shield in front of the back 4, who can help close games out.

FJ0372

EPL bonus tax.

He's good, but not €30m good.

Who is he comparable to?

Money doesn't seem to mean too much to English clubs at the moment with all the TV money, and we're getting towards the last week of the window which is definitely making this a seller's market (i.e they can push the price up as much as they like, almost)

Replacement for Lamela? What do Bundesliga watchers think of him?

I can see Tottenham wanting Son but even with current prices €30M is hard to believe. He's their fourth best attacking player. Hard worker with some decent skill but for that kind of money they should be able to get Bellarabi or least Çalhanoğlu

FJ0372

I can see Tottenham wanting Son but even with current prices €30M is hard to believe. He's their fourth best attacking player. Hard worker with some decent skill but for that kind of money they should be able to get Bellarabi or least Çalhanoğlu

Thanks. I thought I knew a little bit at least about football yet have never heard of any of these players :(

Fourth best sounds pretty bad...I suppose that there is a pretty limited pool of excellent players going, but it's crazy they're only taking action over a Lamela replacement now.

Wow, Football-GAF is back. <3

Even if van Gaal doesn't win the prem in year 3 he'll have left the club in better shape then Fergie did. It doesn't look like Rooney is gonna snap out of it anytime soon so I just hope that getting rid of him is van Gaal's last gift to the new manager. I don't think you can give the keys to Giggs after what happened with Moyes.

Exactly. You can criticize some of LVG's choices, but he's been pragmatic and steadied the ship after the Moyes debacle.

As for getting rid of Rooney, I still think he's a useful player. The problem is he wants to be the main man--and the British media are his biggest enablers.

After we failed big trying to build the team around him when Ronaldo left, Fergie realized he had to bring in the likes of RVP and Kagawa to revamp our attack. I mean, in his final season, he puts Rooney on the bench against Madrid: that tells you all you need to know.

Without Fergie's retirement decision--and Rooney's likely resistance to becoming a rotation option--he'd be at Chelsea right now. Without Fergie's juice, Moyes and the club hierarchy were too scared of the media reaction to do anything but roll-over to all of Rooney's demands.

And there's absolutely no way Giggs is next, whatever fantasy propaganda the club wants to sell.

Thanks. I thought I knew a little bit at least about football yet have never heard of any of these players :(

Fourth best sounds pretty bad...I suppose that there is a pretty limited pool of excellent players going, but it's crazy they're only taking action over a Lamela replacement now.

Leverkusen are playing Lazio in a Champion's League qualifier today. Assuming the deal isn't almost complete Son will certainly be a starter. I really wasn't trying to bash him as a player. He's an important part of the team and helps keep the formation together but certainly not one of the stars

El Topo

Who is he comparable to?

I don't follow Leverkusen enough to make comparisons.

Leverkusen is a team full of very young, very promising, very talented players. Quite a few players there that could make it big. They're playing Lazio tonight in a CL qualifier (after they lost 0-1 in Rome), for those with time.

Fourth best attacking player? Nah, he's definitely among their best. He's talented, but it's always hard to say how he'd manage in EPL. Some make a huge jump, others fall apart.

FJ0372

I don't follow Leverkusen enough to make comparisons.

Leverkusen is a team full of very young, very promising, very talented players. Quite a few players there that could make it big. They're playing Lazio tonight in a CL qualifier (after they lost 0-1 in Rome), for those with time.

Fourth best attacking player? Nah, he's definitely among their best. He's talented, but it's always hard to say how he'd manage in EPL. Some make a huge jump, others fall apart.

Leverkusen are playing Lazio in a Champion's League qualifier today. Assuming the deal isn't almost complete Son will certainly be a starter. I really wasn't trying to bash him as a player. He's an important part of the team and helps keep the formation together but certainly not one of the stars

Leverkusen's equivalent to Willian then :p

I think spurs need someone to take the pressure of Eriksen a bit as he is the only one that appears to create. Puzzled why they haven't gone for a good central midfielder...

Wow, Football-GAF is back. <3

As for getting rid of Rooney, I still think he's a useful player. The problem is he wants to be the main man--and the British media are his biggest enablers.

So much this! It's ludicrous. Not having "runners" (what is Depay then?) or "creativity" Mata appears to mitigate Rooney having the first touch and positional ability of a pineapple.

Turok_TTZ

I just heard something very disturbing. But this may not happen until next summer.

So you're finally considering PSG's offer huh...
Very well, I understand. May the 7th year be most memorable!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I just got done watching the Man U vs Fenerbahce match (Rooney's debut start) from 2004 on MUTV. It saddens me just how absolutely boring this current team is. The team I just finished watching was defending with purpose, attacking with purpose, and scoring with purpose. LVG needs to take his boring, unimaginative garbage somewhere else.

Jarnet87

I just got done watching the Man U vs Fenerbahce match (Rooney's debut start) from 2004 on MUTV. It saddens me just how absolutely boring this current team is. The team I just finished watching was defending with purpose, attacking with purpose, and scoring with purpose. LVG needs to take his boring, unimaginative garbage somewhere else.

It's amazing watching Rooney then and now.Obviously 11 years is a lot of time but even going back 5 or 6 years and there is a huge dropoff. 25-30 is suppose to be the prime of a players career. Wayne Rooney will be turning 30 this October, so these prime years will have been wayne's worst. scary thought, and he's declined this much from 25-30 how much more of a drop are we going to see post 30.

Kill3r7

I agree with the gist of your argument but that's like comparing the current Arsenal team to the 2003-2004 team. The most important thing right now is to win games and keep moving forward. We probably won't play beautiful attacking football under LvG until next year at the earliest. He is too result focused right now and I don't blame him.

I agree with the gist of your argument but that's like comparing the current Arsenal team to the 2003-2004 team. The most important thing right now is to win games and keep moving forward. We probably won't play beautiful attacking football under LvG until next year at the earliest. He is too result focused right now and I don't blame him.

That's what people said last year.

Kill3r7

That's what people said last year.

Yep and not much will change this year. Hopefully we will challenge for a couple of trophies and maybe win one or two. I think the best we can hope for is that 4 game stretch last year when we beat Spurs, Liverpool, Villa and City. LvG is obsessed with keeping possession. Thus, it is easy to attack him for being risk averse.

LvG is not exactly renowned for beautiful attacking football.

Agreed but to be fair his Ajax and Barcelona sides played an attacking brand of football. Also, had Strootman not gotten hurt the Netherlands would have played a more traditional 4-3-3 as they did during their qualifying campaign.

Jarnet87

Romero; Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Shaw; Carrick, Herrera; Mata, Januzaj, Memphis; Rooney.

Johnstone, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Hernandez, Fellaini, Young, McNair on the bench.

Herrera lives.

Yep and not much will change this year. Hopefully we will challenge for a couple of trophies and maybe win one or two. I think the best we can hope for is that 4 game stretch last year when we beat Spurs, Liverpool, Villa and City. LvG is obsessed with keeping possession. Thus, it is easy to attack him for being risk averse.

It's not coincidence that Herrera featured in all 4 of those matches. Don't know why he's been so isolated by LvG lately. He's easily the best United player atm.

Romero; Darmian, Smalling, Blind, Shaw; Carrick, Herrera; Mata, Januzaj, Memphis; Rooney.

Johnstone, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Hernandez, Fellaini, Young, McNair on the bench.

Herrera lives.

Thank fuck.

norinrad

Calm down, they've only played 4 games, the season is long.

Apparently de Bruyne leaving for City is almost set. Kicker is reporting a fee of €75m. Could be announced tomorrow.

If it happens i will be genuinely upset for a long time.
The poor lad needed more time and a better chance at chelsea and we didn't give it to him.
I will shed a tear every time i see him in a man city shirt.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
United should have no problem getting through....is what I would have thought if Sir Alex was still in charge. Now, I'm just hoping there isn't any fuckery, because you never know with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom