• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarnet87

In contrast, when was the last time Manu got a tough group stage draw?

Maybe 10 years ago? They had a group with Villareal and Benfica. Benfica made it to the quarters, Villareal the semis.

Moyes cruised through a group featuring Leverkusen, Shaktar, and Real Sociedad. Are this seasons Wolfsburg, CSKA, and PSV better then those 3 teams were I honestly don't know, but were a better side then 2 years ago. Plus teams in Europe seem to approach Manchester United differently.

Blablurn

CNbg9sAWgAAr2yv.jpg:large

astana pls

Kill3r7

United's last 5 CL groups:
09/10: CSKA, Wolfsburg, Besiktas
10/11: Valencia, Glasgow Rangers, Bursaspor
11/12: Benfica, Basel, Galati
12/13: Galatasaray, Cluj, Braga
13/14: Leverkusen, Donetsk, Sociedad

We have been incredibly lucky.

Blablurn

United's last 5 CL groups:
09/10: CSKA, Wolfsburg, Besiktas
10/11: Valencia, Glasgow Rangers, Bursaspor
11/12: Benfica, Basel, Galati
12/13: Galatasaray, Cluj, Braga
13/14: Leverkusen, Donetsk, Sociedad

We have been incredibly lucky.

well, your luck usually runs out in the knockout round haha

El Topo

And Bayern's tends to run out during the last 5 minutes of games or more specifically injury time but such is life.

No Bayern fan could forget the horrible last minutes of the 34th Bundesliga match in 2001, or the heartbreaking final minutes of the Champions League Final in 2013. Even last Saturday we were shocked in the 90th minute.

I think 1999 was a very unfortunate exception *cough*Matthäus*cough*. Usually Bayern screws up much earlier and we've had several unforgettable last-minute wins since then, especially the 2001 Bundesliga championship and the 2013 Champions League Final victory.

Blablurn

And Bayern's tends to run out during the last 5 minutes of games or more specifically injury time but such is life.

lol

have fun with your boring ass football this year. wouldnt be surprised if you even cannot make it through the group stage

van gaal

lol

Kill3r7

lol

have fun with your boring ass football this year. wouldnt be surprised if you even cannot make it through the group stage

van gaal

lol

Van Gaal couldn't have been that terrible if he won you the double but yeah you're right LvG is awful. Good luck this year!

Meier

If only the practice draw had carried over. 😭 At least we get to see Doumbia dick on United. He's a monster.

Gambit

Dortmund is scaring me. They're back.

They sure are. But with De Bruyne gone Wolfsburg will be as well. So at least we have a realy competitor.

Man, I wish Tuchel had waited with his comeback for one more year. He was my preferred post-Pep choice.

Meier

Saints have one play and that's a cross to find Pelle. Nothing else.

No wonder everyone wants to leave.

Would have been nice if you guys had gone through since it'd help the coefficient.. but considering you're always a bitch about City, I do kind of enjoy seeing Soton suffer. >:)

TeddyBoy

Saints have one play and that's a cross to find Pelle. Nothing else.

No wonder everyone wants to leave.

After watching this Southampton team I feel terrible Liverpool bought half your team :(

Buy back Lovren and Lallana for £15m?

We'll probably buy Forster and Fonte off you next year just to finish you off :(

Everton fans kicking off at John Stones is the funniest thing i've seen in a long time.

Last time I checked they poached him from Barnsley, i'll say the same thing I say about any player that moves and has ambition plus opportunity: If they aren't going to be loyal to the club that is their home town, that made them and brought them up, why the fuck would they show loyalty to a club that just bought them.

Sometimes as a fan you learn this the hard way but also lets not forget Everton put a 15% sell-on fee in his transfer, I largely suspect they didn't anticipate selling him for £1m to Blackburn when they did that.

It doesn't look like we will sign him but also seen mentioned (admittedly by the Sun...) that he's had to flee his house because of pissed off Everton fans. Lets have some perspective

King_Moc

Banned
Everton fans kicking off at John Stones is the funniest thing i've seen in a long time.

Last time I checked they poached him from Barnsley, i'll say the same thing I say about any player that moves and has ambition plus opportunity: If they aren't going to be loyal to the club that is their home town, that made them and brought them up, why the fuck would they show loyalty to a club that just bought them.

Sometimes as a fan you learn this the hard way but also lets not forget Everton put a 15% sell-on fee in his transfer, I largely suspect they didn't anticipate selling him for £1m to Blackburn when they did that.

It doesn't look like we will sign him but also seen mentioned (admittedly by the Sun...) that he's had to flee his house because of pissed off Everton fans. Lets have some perspective

I mostly agree, but never listen to The Sun where scousers are concerned. They have...form.

Tubie

Actually pretty happy with our group draw.

Could've been a lot worse (look at group D).

Still, with Rafa Benitez any kind of bullshit is possible, even an early CL exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom