• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulis is trying to get relegated

-Treated the City match as a defensive drill
-Lost the Chelsea match with atrocious substitute decisions
-Buying Jonny Evans

Meier

Looks like Girona FC being a new City subsidiary club is more and more likely to be in the works. The club is primarily owned by a group lead by Pere Guardiola and he helped save them from bankruptcy. Here are some tweets from a few weeks ago (August 12th) with more info on the situation:

L'Esportiu: Girona (Spanish 2nd tier) are set to sign an agreement with City to become a partner club. Pere Guardiola involved in the deal.

Pere Guardiola (brother of Pep) is using his relations with Soriano and Txiki to broker this deal which could help Girona return to La Liga.

City would sign Rubén Sobrino from Ponferradina for £750k then park him at Girona, and are negotiating w/ Real Madrid to yield their option.

City could also sign highly rated DF Florian Lejeune (24) from Girona for £215k and loan him back for a year. All info from L'Esportiu.

Both of these players have been bought and loaned today. Sobrino was for less than that though.

We don't need one to replace Evans. He was never making it back into the first team anyway. I'm far more concerned that Smalling will get injurned and Jones has to play.

never forget

giphy.gif

Jarnet87

Tyler Blackett is the new Johnny Evans if we ever have to play him, but we shouldn't. I say a prayer to the soccer gods before every game to give Smalling the strength to stay healthy. If he goes down Jones is next in line, and then when he goes down McNair is up. Rojo has been in the reserves recently to get fitness and will cover or take over for Blind. Carrick as always is the oh shit we fucked up again by not fixing out centerback problem so lets put him there for emergency CB.

Firemind

Who is out there? World class CBs, who are good on the ball, are just as hard to find as world class strikers. If you want to bet on youth Stones and Laporte are pretty good but very expensive.
Vertonghen

Isn't really suited for the PL though. Oh well.

Meier

Denis Suarez to Villarreal apparently. A shame how that went down, City were due to about £6m in add-ons if he worked out at Barca.. was hoping he'd get a shot after his good loan at Sevilla. Oh well.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I've only watched the second half of Wolfsburg v Schalke but it's been fun so far.

Edit: Schalke getting eviscerated in the last 5 minutes

Lyng

The two teams that generate overwhelmingly the most interest from overseas fans get a larger share, oh no! (They don't get "all the money" just a larger share).

It's been this way since forever and yet still mid table Spanish teams dominate Europa League, so I don't get this argument at all.

All the new TV deal in England will do is over inflate the price British players. It won't increase the quality of the league over the Spanish or German league at all.

A much larger share. Also pretty much only Spanish teams care about Europa League.

Tubie

A much larger share. Also pretty much only Spanish teams care about Europa League.

That's extremely condescending honestly. Unless I didn't know English teams went into Europa league with the intent of taking a knee and not bother with it...

Tubie

RIP in rip Pulga, forever the footy GAF MVP.

He was the #1 Messi and Barca fan in the world so this goes out for him:

pskX69J.png

Jarnet87

That's extremely condescending honestly. Unless I didn't know English teams went into Europa league with the intent of taking a knee and not bother with it...

I don't think English teams go into it not caring, it's just the English teams that generally make it into the Europa league aren't as good as a Sevilla, Atletico, Porto, etc, especially if were talking in the last 5-6 years. Chelsea won it in 2012-2013, and I know United fielded a quality side when Bilbao stomped us.

Fdkn

yeah english teams only care about UCL as proven by their amazing results there besides Chelsea
They would win EL every year if the cared. Whatever makes you happy guys.

Kill3r7

yeah english teams only care about UCL as proven by their amazing results there besides Chelsea
They would win EL every year if the cared. Whatever makes you happy guys.

To tell you the truth I always find it surprising that the English teams don't take the EL more seriously. It provides an easier path to to UCL qualification than finishing in the top 4.

Fdkn

To tell you the truth I always find it surprising that the English teams don't take the EL more seriously

But the point is that it isn't true. Everytime Pool/Spurs/Everton fail or even that sad year with United, they were trying to win. They just couldn't

Jack cw

Apparently Coman to Bayern is confirmed.

1 y loan with the option for buy him for 27m €
Amazing if true. Hope he hits like Costa. Pep is getting all his wishes with Thiago, Benatia, Kimmich, Costa, Vidal and Kingsley. This squad on paper is already phenomenal and if Dante leaves to Wolfsburg we might pull the clause for Laporte. Pep just made the transition for this team in less than 60 days. I hope he stays here a couple of years longer and Klopp silently joins City or Wolfsburg.

So West Ham have let go or loaned out twice the number of players we've brought in.

I'm assuming our plans changed after we were so shite in the UL. Still need a striker and two midfielders.

Stones to Chelsea won't happen now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom