• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambit

Just can't see Can as a rightback tbh

Too slow on the turn, too easy to get past one-on-one, too slow to break into a full sprint

and so far terrible positioning. And I say that as someone who actually kinda likes him.

In any case, I agree. I don't think he'll be the solution.

Blablurn

Müller

2 goals
1 assist

Priceless

kYFVZc5.png

Rooney's Goals:

TYPE OF GAME
Qualifying: 30 (16 in World Cup qualifying, 13 in Euro qualifying)
Major Touraments: 6 (1 at World Cup, 5 at Euros)
Friendlies: 14

OPPONENTS
San Marino: 5
Croatia: 4
Switzerland: 4
Kazakhstan: 3
Andorra: 2
Belarus: 2
Brazil: 2
Bulgaria: 2
Denmark: 2
Estonia: 2
Iceland: 2
Montenegro: 2
Poland: 2
Scotland: 2
Slovakia: 2
Slovenia: 2
Argentina: 1
Ecuador: 1
Holland: 1
Liechtenstein: 1
Lithuania: 1
Norway: 1
Russia: 1
Ukraine: 1
Uruguay: 1

Jarnet87

If Terry, Lamps, and Gerrard hadn't retired from Internationals Woy or whoever the next England manager would still be picking then. Roop has got at least 4-6 more years in the England team as a starter.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Gossip for today:

England's record goalscorer Wayne Rooney, 29, has been called one of the greatest players of his generation by Barcelona's Argentina forward Lionel Messi. (Mirror)

Manchester City and Arsenal will try to sign Real Madrid's Spain midfielder Isco, 23, in January. (Sport, via Express)

Liverpool will not be able to re-sign midfielder Steven Gerrard, 35, on loan from LA Galaxy in January, according to Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber. (Telegraph)

Bastian Schweinsteiger's former club TSV 1860 Rosenheim claim Manchester United only paid £6.5m to sign the 31-year-old Germany midfielder from Bayern Munich, not the £14.4m figure that had been reported at the time. (Manchester Evening News)

Everton's 21-year-old England defender John Stones, who is wanted by Chelsea, will seek a £38m release clause if he is to sign a new deal with the Toffees. (Daily Mail)

Manchester United's senior players are unhappy with the tough regime at the club under manager Louis van Gaal. (Times, subscription required)

The Football Association will allow Chelsea and Tottenham to make short-term moves to Wembley Stadium while they increase their respective home capacities. (London Evening Standard)

Arsenal and Tottenham are interested in signing Switzerland striker Breel Embolo. The 18-year-old is valued at £10m by his club FC Basel. (Talksport)

Everton boss Roberto Martinez has ruled out signing any out-of-contract players during the autumn and has no plans to strengthen the squad until the transfer window reopens in January. (Liverpool Echo)

Former Manchester City midfielder Owen Hargreaves says new signing Kevin de Bruyne will be wasted in a wide role, but claims the Belgium midfielder is not good enough to get in the team above David Silva in the number 10 position behind Sergio Aguero. (Daily Mail)

Liverpool's Brazil midfielder Lucas Leiva, 28, has said he expected to be sold during the transfer window. (Telegraph)

West Brom have accused Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy of trying to sign their £25m-rated striker Saido Berahino, 22, for "loose change". (Sun, subscription required)

Chelsea midfielder Eden Hazard, 24, says the Premier League champions have struggled this season because "everyone wants to kill them". (Daily Star)

Former Liverpool boss Graeme Souness believes striker Christian Benteke, 24, could be a "superstar" at Anfield following the Belgium international's £32.5m summer move from Aston Villa. (Daily Star)

West Brom's transfer spending and wage bill are at their highest ever levels, a club official has claimed. (Birmingham Mail)

Sunderland striker Jermain Defoe, who has scored five goals already this season, cannot play as a lone striker, says boss Dick Advocaat. (Daily Star)

Best of social media

Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez posts a picture on Instagram of him celebrating a goal with team-mate Danny Welbeck, who is out until Christmas through injury. Sanchez writes: "Much strength my friend and I hope that you return to the team soon and to see you happy as in this photo."

Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker has filmed a documentary with England striker Wayne Rooney. Lineker writes on Twitter: "Delighted to say my latest film, 'Rooney - The Man Behind the Goals' airs on BBC1 on Monday Oct 5th at 9pm."

Manchester United and England defender Luke Shaw praises club and international team-mate Wayne Rooney for scoring his 50th England goal. Shaw writes on Twitter: "Honoured to be playing alongside @WayneRooney when he broke the record last night!"

England striker Harry Kane also praises Rooney and says on Twitter: "I grew up watching this man score for England! It was a honour to share that moment with him! Congrats @waynerooney."
And finally...

Arsenal's 'Invincibles' team of 2003-04, who went an entire Premier League season unbeaten, were within days of not being paid because of a cash problem involving the club's move from Highbury to Emirates Stadium. (Mirror)

The 80 teams in this season's Champions League and Europa League have agreed to donate one euro per ticket from their first home games to help the refugee crisis. (Guardian)

Manchester United defender Chris Smalling asked club and international team-mate Wayne Rooney for his autograph after the striker scored his 50th England goal. (Sun, subscription required)

Arsenal winger Theo Walcott will be the fastest player on computer game Fifa 16. (Metro)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/gossip/

Jarnet87

Manchester United's senior players are unhappy with the tough regime at the club under manager Louis van Gaal. (Times, subscription required)

so it begins.

so it begins.

What senior players? Carrick? Young? Most of everyone else is pretty young, getting to design the menu (i.e. Rooney) or a recent transfer (i.e. Basti).

Jarnet87

No idea, but the article mentions the confrontation happening weeks back and that the players involved had concerns over the rigid training and lack of creativity in the team. It also mentions that van Gaal believes his training methods have helped United players stay injury free (its still very early on that). It could be a lot of players really. van Gaal isn't likely to change so things might get ugly quick if the results don't come. If you are going to play boring possession football you gotta win the games. I think this weekends game against Liverpool is a must win for van Gaal. We've dropped a possible 5 points the last 2 league games. Liverpool just got battered by West Ham and don't have Countinho and it's in Old Trafford. There's no Stevie Me to come and bail Pool out with a freekick after 75 minutes of a dogshit performance.

norinrad

No idea, but the article mentions the confrontation happening weeks back and that the players involved had concerns over the rigid training and lack of creativity in the team. It also mentions that van Gaal believes his training methods have helped United players stay injury free (its still very early on that). It could be a lot of players really. van Gaal isn't likely to change so things might get ugly quick if the results don't come. If you are going to play boring possession football you gotta win the games. I think this weekends game against Liverpool is a must win for van Gaal. We've dropped a possible 5 points the last 2 league games. Liverpool just got battered by West Ham and don't have Countinho and it's in Old Trafford. There's no Stevie Me to come and bail Pool out with a freekick after 75 minutes of a dogshit performance.

I wish i was getting 100k a week to go to the gym a few times and kick some stupid ball for 90 minutes if I'm lucky on weekends.

Kill3r7

so it begins.

What senior players? Carrick? Young? Most of everyone else is pretty young, getting to design the menu (i.e. Rooney) or a recent transfer (i.e. Basti).

Do we have any senior players outside of Carrick, Young, Rooney and Basti? Who exactly was complaining?

Meier

The Mail used Rooney and Carrick in their headline about it.

Players feel like robots, staff banished from canteen and no days off in THREE WEEKS... Rooney and Carrick take Manchester United boss Van Gaal to task over strict methods frustrating their top stars

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Oh no they have to work hard at Utd.

Bloody hell, the money Rooney is on and he's whining about training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom