• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all relative I suppose. All of those players would struggle to make it in Barca's B team.

I like discussing/arguing about the value of lesser players.

I mean Messi is a god, obvious for anyone to see. So saying so holds little meaning really.

Dembele or Carrick?
They're completely different. I actually think Dembele + Carrick would be brilliant for us, as a combination think that works wonderfully.

I am a big Carrick fan and generally prefer midfielders that can dictate so I would pick Carrick with alot of bias but Dembele is a smashing player and would be an asset to any team. I wish we signed him.

Yeah they did; it's taken a while for Carrick to come on this season but there's no one better in the league at doing what he does. The narrative that just because he got decimated by the two finest midfielders of the century means he's now average is a tiresome one.

Allen really was poor today, but Hendo's looked good recently. Gerrard looked pretty knacked at times as well.
He played that game with a half broken foot. Hero <3

kharma45

Say hello to your new God.

powell_1585236a.jpg

Powell looks... weird there.

Clegg

Powell won't be ready for a few more seasons.

Looked decent in his few senior appearances but still very raw.

First touch let him down on a number of occasions

Arnie

Allen really was poor today, but Hendo's looked good recently. Gerrard looked pretty knacked at times as well.
Gerrard's looked knacked at many points this season, but still maintains the ability to pull out worldie passes and killers set pieces, as well as driving the team forward sporadically like he did today for our goal.

I'm a fan of having him in the midfield despite his frailties, as long as we have energy and pressing around him. That's why Henderson works so well, because he's physically imposing and quick to press over the first 10 yards. Should've started today, probably will in our next game.

Lucas was poor today, too. Need to find consistency in our midfield as soon as possible, if we want to stabilise our performances.
:lol so true

When Henry Winter compared him to Cesc. Jesus. Henry Winter is dumb.
That's the problem.

If we just take Cleverley for what he is, at this moment, he's the most promising English midfielder after Wilshere, and that's a compliment.

kharma45

Powell won't be ready for a few more seasons.

Looked decent in his few senior appearances but still very raw.

First touch let him down on a number of occasions

If he could get a season long loan somewhere next season I think he'll be ready the year after, although tbh I'd have no problem trying him out in a few games this year as a sub and gradually working him in.

Wilbur

Banned
He played that game with a half broken foot. Hero <3

I'd love to see a few pieces when he retires properly heralding him for his time with us. He's a fantastic player, he really is. There's been moments at the start of seasons where he's played pretty poorly, but I've always kept the faith.

Guardian says:

Sir Alex Ferguson said afterwards that United had played as well in the first hour as any other time he could remember this season. It helps that they have a player, Robin van Persie, who can score goals from any angle, or any distance, and is surely going to clean up with the footballer-of-the-year awards for a second successive season.

Daniel Welbeck was an elusive, coltish opponent, sometimes clumsy on the ball and erratic with his finishing but constantly on the move, difficult to pick up, deceptively strong. Rafael Da Silva has morphed from an error-prone kid into a man. Patrice Evra had his best game of the season.

Liverpool, all the same, were obliging opponents. They managed only one attempt at goal in the first half and it wasn't even on target. Instead, the moment that really stood out came seven minutes before the break when their leading scorer had the ball at his feet and four United players around him. Not one other Liverpool player was in the penalty area or even particularly close. It encapsulated the way they had played.

Suárez never stopped working, always wanting the ball, but too many of his colleagues struggled to have any form of impact. Rodgers has described Joe Allen as "the Welsh Xavi" and it's clearly the case that he is an accomplished keeper of the ball. Not here, though. Allen picked a bad day to have, quite possibly, his least distinguished game in Liverpool's colours.

Michael Carrick, meanwhile, played with the kind of refinement that must have reminded the watching Roy Hodgson that surely he should have tried to get him back into the England team before, rather than after, Euro 2012.

The number-crunchers at Opta say the Premier League is 20% faster than five years ago. It's fast, frenetic and doesn't let up, and it takes a special player to see the right pass at this level and have the ability, almost every time, to play it with the perfect weight. Carrick, so long an elegant frustration, has taken a long time getting to the stage where he is controlling matches from his position in midfield but what a damning indictment it is of English football that someone of this calibre has started only 16 England games in 12 years.

He was at the hub of just about everything during those moments when José Mourinho, watching Real Madrid's next opponents in the Champions League, might have been forgiven if he had experienced a rare flicker of insecurity.

Need to see more, but promising as fuck from what I've seen. Lovely feet on him he duz.

Did he go on loan or was that just rumour?
He's injured at the moment I think.

This is awesome right now it really is RedCafe. Everyone else fuck off.

When we buy K-Strootz our midfield options will be: Strootman, Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson, Fletcher (?).

Hmm. It's alright. If Pogba was in the mixer it would be ideal. God damn you Pog, why did you do it.

FuturusX

Anybody could have dominated Liverpool in that first half. If Carrick dominates Real Madrid, I will tip my hat to the lad. There's a good reason why Liverpool are 8th.

Average is probably unfair(trolling of course). He's a good player but world class is a tag that gets thrown around a lot. He certainly would not be in the shopping list of top tier European teams.

kharma45

He's injured at the moment I think.

This is awesome right now it really is RedCafe. Everyone else fuck off.

When we buy K-Strootz our midfield options will be: Strootman, Carrick, Cleverley, Anderson, Fletcher (?).

Hmm. It's alright. If Pogba was in the mixer it would be ideal. God damn you Pog, why did you do it.

As I've always said you can't blame Pogba when he was constantly being overlooked and having Giggs playing ahead of him, I'd be pretty fucked off too.

K1LLER7

I would say he's getting a bit too old, but it's only one and a half years 'til the World Cup! Ferguson will probably persuade him to retire from international football.

True, He's 30 now I think.

Can't think of any young english DM's that could play in the next World Cup. Hendo isn't really a DM type of player is he?

Powell's got a shot on him. Hopefully he doesn't end up like the other united player who had a decent shot on him. Now he's carrying Everton into the CL.

Wilbur

Banned
Anybody could have dominated Liverpool in that first half. If Carrick dominates Real Madrid, I will tip my hat to the lad. There's a good reason why Liverpool are 8th.

Average is probably unfair(trolling of course). He's a good player but world class is a tag that gets thrown around a lot. He certainly would not be in the shopping list of top tier European teams.

But then neither was Arteta; it took years for him to be picked up by Arsenal. I think its just the type of player he is. You'll never see Lucas going off to Barcelona I think, because the job he does is pretty unheralded.

What did someone say after Perez let Makelele go, something about losing what made them work or something? I can't remember, but Makelele joined Chelsea for relatively cheap when they weren't a big club, and only started getting noticed when he was about to leave.

FuturusX

I'm actually bit worried about future England sides. The golden generation is fading fast. Wilshere and co don't look nearly as promising. I hope time proves me wrong.

I know what you're saying but what you're asking of him there is unrealistic. How many players dominate Real Madrid? This season might not be the best example but last year Xavi and Iniesta just about managed it.

Carrick has looked good against this leagues best teams. That makes him a very capable player at the very least.

I'm actually bit worried about future England sides. The golden generation is fading fast. Wilshere and co don't look nearly as promising. I hope time proves me wrong.
Only Wilshere in the forward positions IMO.

Edit - Sterling too actually. He will be a player.

Wilbur

Banned
I know you can't blame him I just wish he stayed.

We need to buy 2 CM's I still think. I'm taking Scholes, Giggs and Fletcher out the equation.

Leaves us with 3. Strootman and Fat Frank is what it'll be.

I think we need one or potentially two centre backs, two centre midfielders, and a winger. Zaha's the only one looking likely atm, I'd love Strootz, Lampard can fuck off, and we should try for Yanga-Mbiwa.

Arnie

He certainly would not be in the shopping list of top tier European teams.

Only because of his age.

Carrick's controlling games this season like Alonso was in 09. Not saying he's as good a player, I doubt even United fans would say that, but in terms of his contribution to a title winning side (probably), he's been top tier.

Because Real Madrid aren't offering £30 million doesn't mean he isn't world class, I think this season (and parts of last) he has been. I also think Gareth Barry's similarly underrated; he acted as the lynchpin for a team that won the premier league, yet people treat him like he's shit on their shoe.

There's a reason Rafa wanted Gareth Barry: whilst like Carrick he may not be as good as Alonso overall (and specifically Alonso post 08), but he can function in the same role as Alonso to a standard required to dominate games consistently, and enable a team to win titles, and competitions.

Wilbur

Banned
I give Barry shit basically based on his fucking ridiculous name, the fact he plays for City and the fact that Rafa wanted him instead of Alonso. He's a good player, yeah.

HAPPY NOW KERM?

I thought Carrick was bad the first quarter of the season. He has picked it up since then and is back to last year's form though. The first half was the best I have seen him play all year.

Edit: After seeing Shinji's touches, I don't see how you can differentiate his play from Cleverley. I thought both played well, and kept things ticking. Carrick however, was a monster.

GolazoDan

Gareth Barry would have laid the passes on to Robbie Keane, boom, goals aplenty. Swimming in goals.

What a strange time that was. Remember Robbie Keane.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd take Lampard. One of the best midfielders i've seen, especially with all the goals he scores, even now. Would be great to bring off the bench and grab a goal.

He won't come to us to sit on the bench though if he doesn't want to do that with Chelsea. Massive wages, taking up a spot in the team or on the bench that could be used for a younger midfielder in a style we actually need.

Bo-Locks

Crystal Palace are living in a dreamland. Who pays £10-15m and then loans the player straight back? For that amount of money he should be going straight into the main squad. It's just a matter of time until he signs at this point.

TrueBlue

I hope McEachran will be able to get to a similar level to Wilshere/Cleverley in the next couple of years, assuming he gets games for Chelsea (lol).

Kyoufu

Crystal Palace are living in a dreamland. Who pays £10-15m and then loans the player straight back? For that amount of money he should be going straight into the main squad. It's just a matter of time until he signs at this point.

That's hilarious.

I thought only Chelsea could afford to do that.

Where would we rate Chamberlain on the Wilshere scale?
Well behind IMO. I really don't think Chamberlain is that great. Honestly I put him closer to Cleverley/Welbeck than Wilshere.

Maybe I've got it all wrong but I just don't see the special talent. Sometimes players suddenly kick on and start to impress so maybe that will happen to him but I'm underwhelmed almost everytime by him.

NEVER SIGNING A CM.
I'm so sure we will sign him. So sure. It's gonna suck when we don't.

Randdalf

Different players, but I hear he wants to play centre midfield, and in that respect I rate him 0 Wilsheres out of 10.

As a winger he's 5 Walcott's out of 10.

Apparently Wenger likes to play newer players on the wing so they can "play across the pitch" or something. Personally, I think he will transition into a midfielder eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom