• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Different players, but I hear he wants to play centre midfield, and in that respect I rate him 0 Wilsheres out of 10.

As a winger he's 5 Walcott's out of 10.

Wenger said he sees him playing as CM so I imagine it's only a matter of time, just like with Arshavin.

FuturusX

Only because of his age.

Carrick's controlling games this season like Alonso was in 09. Not saying he's as good a player, I doubt even United fans would say that, but in terms of his contribution to a title winning side (probably), he's been top tier.

Because Real Madrid aren't offering £30 million doesn't mean he isn't world class, I think this season (and parts of last) he has been. I also think Gareth Barry's similarly underrated; he acted as the lynchpin for a team that won the premier league, yet people treat him like he's shit on their shoe.

There's a reason Rafa wanted Gareth Barry, whilst like Carrick he may not be as good as Alonso overall (and specifically Alonso post 08), but he can function in the same role as Alonso to a standard required to dominate games consistently, and enable a team to win titles, and competitions.

I get the point on his age but I really do think that the idea of a world class player needs refining. Not entirely his fault but, as a world class player he really should have had a better international career. Yes, he was overlooked various reasons, but often it was because of his relative pedigree with the player pool around him.

It's all opinion of course but I do think he's benefited from be able to play for the best team in the country who in turn have not focused on improving their midfield.

He's not average he's good. But world class. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

K1LLER7

He won't come to us to sit on the bench though if he doesn't want to do that with Chelsea. Massive wages, taking up a spot in the team or on the bench that could be used for a younger midfielder in a style we actually need.
I thought his problem was Chelsea not wanting to give him a new contract?

Not sure but he's starting to get to that age where you won't be expecting to start most games. If he came on a free and took a wage cut, i'd be happy with him coming. If we had to pay, then i'd prefer a different CM.

To take the penalties, you mean.

haha that too. He always shoots penalties to the bottom left/keepers bottom right.

GolazoDan

I hope McEachran will be able to get to a similar level to Wilshere/Cleverley in the next couple of years, assuming he gets games for Chelsea (lol).
I remember seeing McEachran in the FA Youth Cup a couple of years ago. Ryan Tunnicliffe absolutely trashed him. Dunno if he's actually any good or just cherrypicked as THE NEXT BIG THING because of his nationality.

Sloosha

I hope McEachran will be able to get to a similar level to Wilshere/Cleverley in the next couple of years, assuming he gets games for Chelsea (lol).

Seems like he has been doing well at Middlesbrough. He has all the talent in the world but just needs the minutes at the moment. Chalobah looks like he could develop into a good box-to-box midfielder as well.

Clegg

If Anderson rediscovers his pre-injury form than we might actually have a decent midfields with good options to bring on a subs. This is a strange feeling.

Still think we'll need to sign at last one CM this summer. We can't rely on Scholes/Giggs/Fletcher anymore.

kharma45

If Anderson rediscovers his pre-injury form than we might actually have a decent midfields with good options to bring on a subs. This is a strange feeling.

Still thing we'll need to sign at last one CM this summer. We can't rely on Scholes/Giggs/Fletcher anymore.

Scholes I think will retire this year for real, and Fletcher will be better next year if he can stay healthy, he's still being managed carefully atm.

Arnie

I get the point on his age but I really do think that the idea of a world class player needs refining. Not entirely his fault but, as a world class player he really should have had a better international career. Yes, he was overlooked various reasons, but often it was because of his relative pedigree with the player pool around him.

It's all opinion of course but I do think he's benefited from be able to play for the best team in the country who in turn have not focused on improving their midfield.

He's not average he's good. But world class. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

That's a fair enough opinion and pretty indisputable.

I'm just an appreciator of tidy midfielders, perhaps overly so. If I could have a team of Carrick, Barry, Hendo, Allen, Wilshere, Cleverley, and Osman, I would.

Wilbur

Banned

Still thing we'll need to sign at last one CM this summer. We can't rely on Scholes/Giggs/Fletcher anymore.

Strootz
Zaha
Ogbonna

For a combined fee of £40m

That's a fair enough opinion and pretty indisputable.

I'm just an appreciator of tidy midfielders, perhaps overly so. If I could have a team of Carrick, Barry, Hendo, Allen, Wilshere, Cleverley, and Osman, I would.

Pep is dat u

GolazoDan

The thing is, England managers always seem to try and pick the team based on who is the superior individual player as opposed to picking a system and fitting players from the pool into that system. Carrick works well in a system but maybe doesn't stand out as an individual. Lampard and Gerrard, however, pretty good in their primes as individuals. Scored lots of goals, centrepieces of their club sides. Together, shite. Scott Parker getting games for England over Michael Carrick, smdh.

Carrick himself probably didn't help things a few years ago when he made it quite clear he didn't give a shit about playing for England (pulling out of the squad injured then playing in the Community Shield) but that was long after managers stopped picking him.

Clegg

Think it's almost a cert that we'll be in the market for a new defender. Probably a CM too.

We're pretty well stocked on attacking options imo.

Maybe a new winger if Nani goes and Valencia keeps playing poorly.

But that is secondary to the CB and CM.

Arnie

Won £8 on a Manchester double, and another £8 on the Patriots to win by a handicap of -9. £16 profit is pretty good for one day. Banking that tomorrow.

Kikarian

Think it's almost a cert that we'll be in the market for a new defender. Probably a CM too.

We're pretty well stocked on attacking options imo.

Maybe a new winger if Nani goes and Valencia keeps playing poorly.

But that is secondary to the CB and CM.
CM before CB. I can see Nani leaving, so a winger would probably be needed.

Kikarian

Zaha and Strootz

Plus that Moura money that wasn't used.
They're the two most likely players we'll get. And/or maybe Lampard.

Fergie's order of priorities is:
Winger
Defender
Centre Mid

Striker isn't even a priority it's an obligation.
I would put Winger second or last depending on if Nani leaves.

I think we might need to find a Rio/Vidic replacement. Ferdinand only has 6 months left on his contract and who knows when Vidic might pick up another injury?
We have Smalling/Jones for the time being although it isn't ideal neither is having two nearly 40 year old midfielders and Fletcher who has a lifetime illness.

Salvadora

‘I’m not convinced Fabregas won’t come back here one day,’ Wenger said.

‘He’s an Arsenal man. He loves Arsenal. He watches every Arsenal game. Barcelona was his home town where he grew up and you have to accept this, especially as Barcelona are the best team in the world.

‘He won’t return in the next two or three years but, after that, maybe.
Yeah, right.

Arnie

You bet against Liverpool? Because you're a student I let that go...

Have to bet sanely, even if my heart's irrational. Another way to claw back something from the day; I'm marginally content now, without the bet I would've just been a pit of despair.

The idea of reinforcing central midfield is a fictional construct in itself
Because Cleverley and Carrick are already world class?

Night everybody, bed time for me.

arkon

I don't think I've seen any of these midfielders linked to United play a game. They may as well be fictional constructs.

I watched Strootman in the game against Ajax earlier in the season. He wasn't very good nor was he very bad. Didn't really stand out. Not sure how representative that is of his level of performance though because Ajax pretty much bossed that game.

But then we signed Ronaldo. Zaha the next Ronaldo? not with his touch lol.

I'm sure Moura was scouted long before United wanted RVP. They must've had the money put to a side for him. Think Fergie only went for RVP once it was clear he wanted to leave and wanted to join united.
Yeah we tried to sign both and Hazard even before Moura.

No idea if we really would have spent that much but it certainly seems like it was close.

This is how crazy Fergie is. He was gonna spend £80m and not buy a CM :lol

Salvadora

This is so that when you get the extra sponsor and TV money and he doesn't spend it he can say "I'm saving it for Cesc".

Classic tactic.

Wonder where our Ronaldo money is these days.

Oh, he'll trot the usual shite out about "the right player". WHEN WAS GERVINHO EVER THE RIGHT PLAYER.

K1LLER7

Yeah we tried to sign both and Hazard even before Moura.

No idea if we really would have spent that much but it certainly seems like it was close.

This is how crazy Fergie is. He was gonna spend £80m and not buy a CM :lol

:lol dat £80m.

Hazard must've chosen City/Chelsea ahead of us, so Fergie tried for Moura. PSG got him so now he's going for Zaha and hopefully in the summer, another young promising player. James please frogie.

We'll end up with Zaha and some unknown 16/17 year old who'll have youtube videos saying he's the next zidane/messi/ronaldo/debuchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom