• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

The gooners saying it's a stunt are fairly persuasive.

Napoli aren't going to shift Cavani in January to Arsenal for 30m.

Dortmund aren't going to sell them Götze.

It can be presumed that Barcelona and Madrid are supremely uninterested.

I'll piss myself with laughter if Wenger is massively overpaying for some nippy foetus.

faridmon

Yeah, Rodwell's injury history is well known and an obvious problem. I know he was only bought to fill a quota like Sinclair, but you'd think they'd know he was made of glass.

I just don't understand why Mancini bought those two players. You would think there are more appropriate players out there that could fill the quote better than those two, especially if one of them is an injury proned player.

I like Mancini and all, but I can see why people think of him as a rubbish manager after thois summers transfer window

Bo-Locks

This is just misdirection. More than half the way through the January transfer window it suddenly appears that Arsenal are shopping around Europe for a £30m player. Yeah, no. Arsenal aren't signing anyone.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Sky Sports understands a number of clubs are readying moves for unsettled Tottenham goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes.

Gomes has found himself well down the pecking order at White Hart Lane this season and has yet to feature for Andre Villas-Boas' side.

The Brazilian is keen to move on in this month's transfer window and Spurs are unlikely to stand in his way if they receive a suitable offer.

The news has alerted a number of clubs across Europe to Gomes' possible availability either on loan or in a permanent deal.

Italian giants AC Milan are thought to be interested in signing Gomes as they look to bring a new goalkeeper to the San Siro.

A couple of unnamed Dutch clubs are also believed to be monitoring Gomes' situation, with the 31-year-old enjoying a successful spell in Holland with PSV Eindhoven prior to his move to Tottenham.

0368_3jrs.gif

Salvadora

The gooners saying it's a stunt are fairly persuasive.

Napoli aren't going to shift Cavani in January to Arsenal for 30m.

Dortmund aren't going to sell them Götze.

It can be presumed that Barcelona and Madrid are supremely uninterested.

I'll piss myself with laughter if Wenger is massively overpaying for some nippy foetus.

Cesc.

I just don't understand why Mancini bought those two players. You would think there are more appropriate players out there that could fill the quote better than those two, especially if one of them is an injury proned player.

I like Mancini and all, but I can see why people think of him as a rubbish manager after thois summers transfer window
IMO his belligerence and lack of composure is what undoes him.

He says and does rash things and I think he does it in the hope of evoking a response. Only works for so long before it becomes a wasted and silly trick.

They were discussing this on Football Weekly and Anfield Wrap also.

An interesting point. Rodgers has definitely demonstrated he can read the tactical flow of a game and make changes from the touchline - but it is beginning to seem like they are corrective decisions. On the weekend esp his set-up was naive.

On the TAW wrap one of the guys said maybe he thinks he's smarter than he is - might be something there. Although I reckon that's the case with most managers, Rodgers should maybe try the more obvious and simpler things for now. I haven't seen THAT much of Liverpool over the last few weeks but to me there doesn't seem to be an immediately obvious growth in the team from the one I watched fairly regularly early on in the season.

Salazar

An interesting point. Rodgers has definitely demonstrated he can read the tactical flow of a game and make changes from the touchline - but it is beginning to seem like they are corrective decisions. On the weekend esp his set-up was naive.

Aye. A lot of folks are tending towards an over-compensation, though: Liverpool with the shackles off from the start would be liable to get bummed insensible.

The "why can't we play like that all the time" idea is romanticism.

Lightning

Banned
Hoping for a Benzema or Jovetic like signing.

Cavani is not worth the money Napoli want for him. Napoli can shove Cavani up there collective asses for that fee of there's not to mention the stupid wages Cavani will want just to join any club. You would need 70-90 million at least for 1 player. Just mental.

Really want Cesc back though. Would be worth any amount of money.

So is it too early to start taking hypothetical bets on how much Andy Carroll will be sold for this season?

For me, it'll have to be sub £10 million, given his performances and fitness over ~2 years.

sohois

Aye. A lot of folks are tending towards an over-compensation, though: Liverpool with the shackles off from the start would be liable to get bummed insensible.

The "why can't we play like that all the time" idea is romanticism.

I don't think many think Liverpool should line up in a 4-4-2 or play with three strikers, the Utd match was just a special case where Rodgers was chasing the lead and the only options he had on the bench were Sturridge and Borini. Rather, the article in question is wondering why Rodgers is failing to get the correct starting line-up whether that be a 4-4-2 with 3 strikers or a 3-5-2 with 3 central defenders. Ultimately far more effective than the subs against Utd would have been to play Henderson from the start.

So is it too early to start taking hypothetical bets on how much Andy Carroll will be sold for this season?

For me, it'll have to be sub £10 million, given his performances and fitness over ~2 years.
What's the clause West Ham have? That if they stay up they HAVE to sign him for that £15m or is it a choice? I thought they're obligated to pay up.

I don't think many think Liverpool should line up in a 4-4-2 or play with three strikers, the Utd match was just a special case where Rodgers was chasing the lead and the only options he had on the bench were Sturridge and Borini. Rather, the article in question is wondering why Rodgers is failing to get the correct starting line-up whether that be a 4-4-2 with 3 strikers or a 3-5-2 with 3 central defenders. Ultimately far more effective than the subs against Utd would have been to play Henderson from the start.
Biggest mistake was the way the wide players were used/played IMO. Totally ineffectual.

@TonyBarretTimes: Brendan Rodgers says Suarez's comments are "unacceptable" & says situation will be dealt with internally.

LOLLLL

All those Liverpool fans who were like "yeah good on him!"...whoops.

Edit - This is in ref to the diving stuff btw, now what he said about United. Brentan knows that's a fight he can't win.

I can't see any team taking him in the Premier League, I mean he hasn't exactly had a good season this year with injuries.

For me it'll have to be another loan, until he gets a full season under his belt and gets 10-15 goals I can't see anyone willing to part money.

...although Stoke....

Salazar

Mmm, I wasn't ascribing the view to Cox.

Like he says, it does seem like countering might be something you're good at - notwithstanding relative sissiness on the wings.

& says situation will be dealt with internally.

#TheLiverpoolWay #YNWA #Class

Bless em said:
Congrats English press and Alex Ferguson. Well played.

What's the clause West Ham have? That if they stay up they HAVE to sign him for that £15m or is it a choice? I thought they're obligated to pay up.

I would take any reports as to the minutae of that loan contract with a fistful of salt. I've said it before that if West Ham did sign such a deal it would represent the level of idiocy only matched by Liverpool's decision to buy him for £35 million in the first place.

@TonyBarretTimes: Brendan Rodgers says Suarez's comments are "unacceptable" & says situation will be dealt with internally.

LOLLLL

:lol

kharma45

LOLLLL

Edit - This is in ref to the diving stuff btw, now what he said about United. Brentan knows that's a fight he can't win.

ibibrmnYzxcc1W.gif

Arnie

If word's to be believed West Ham are obliged to buy him for £17 million, should they survive relegation.

So, Milan is playing a friendly match against Solbiasommese and winning 7-0 at HT. Now, we switched keepers, we have a Solbiasommese GK in our team and they have Gabriel, our young brazilian GK.

What.

Why.

How the fuck can Liverpool fans say good on him for that after ripping the shit out of Cazorla for diving and calling Arteta the king of the "unfair" goal...
They're not happy.

Doron Salomon ‏@DoronSalomon
Live from RAWK: "At this point Brendan, and after all of the shite Luis has had to put up with this last year... you are dead to me."

Arnie

Seen some anger at the club for Rodgers' comments, and I don't agree. There's hanging a player out to dry, and then there's saying the correct thing. It's not a conspiracy that we've been denied legitimate penalty decisions this season on the back of such a reputation, and that's only going to worsen should our players admit, and partake in overt diving. The club can't say Suarez was right to admit to diving, because then officials would have a platform to deny us decisions.

What the club should've done, though, prior to this entire conversation, is told Suarez immediately after the Stoke game that we don't want him to dive, and that we won't tolerate it. And before people pipe up, there's a difference between winning a foul, which is well within a player's right, and diving.

Seen some anger at the club for Rodgers' comments, and I don't agree. There's hanging a player out to dry, and then there's saying the correct thing. It's not a conspiracy that we've been denied legitimate penalty decisions this season on the back of such a reputation, and that's only going to worsen should our players admit, and partake in overt diving. The club can't say Suarez was right to admit to diving, because then officials would have a platform to deny us decisions.

What the club should've done, though, prior to this entire conversation, is told Suarez immediately after the Stoke game that we don't want him to dive, and that we won't tolerate it. And before people pipe up, there's a difference between winning a foul, which is well within a player's right, and diving.
Suarez just shouldn't have said it in the first place - he's put himself in it this time.

Either ill-advised, naive or stupid.

Arnie

Suarez just shouldn't have said it in the first place - he's put himself in it this time.

Either ill-advised, naive or stupid.

Curious case of Luis Suarez, though.

One minute he's castigated for not being honest about a handball, the next he's wrong for admitting to a dive in an interview. I get there's context to both situations, but he'll be killed publicly regardless. I think it takes courage to admit to diving, but I also think it was a stupid, and ill-advised move, and one Rodgers was correct to frown upon.

It's boggling when players jog off to do press in their home countries and just go completely off the PR leash.
Maybe we don't have a clear perspective because of Fergie's "iron fist" at United but I'm genuinely gobsmacked that Liverpool somehow allowed Suarez to come out with this nonsense and the stuff he said about United.

I know they can't physically shut his mouth but their PR department needs to up it's game. He's just causing more problems for them and himself and giving the papers more stories.

One minute he's castigated for not being honest about a handball, the next he's wrong for admitting to a dive in an interview. I get there's context to both situations, but he'll be killed publicly regardless. I think it takes courage to admit to diving, but I also think it was a stupid, and ill-advised move, and one Rodgers was correct to frown upon.
I can see that he (his agent or whatever) may have thought honesty would win people over...but it's a pipe dream in the real world. That's not how it works and especially not with a ruthless media which already targets him. Foolish.

Salvadora

Maybe we don't have a clear perspective because of Fergie's "iron fist" at United but I'm genuinely gobsmacked that Liverpool somehow allowed Suarez to come out with this nonsense and the stuff he said about United.

I know they can't physically shut his mouth but their PR department needs to up it's game. He's just causing more problems for them and himself and giving the papers more stories.

I can see that he (his agent or whatever) may have thought honesty would win people over...but it's a pipe dream in the real world. That's not how it works and especially not with a ruthless media which already targets him. Foolish.

Didn't the head of PR that they used to have threaten some guy?

How about not being a cunt and playing fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom