• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be awesome if Sneijder came to England. Would suck that he's at Pool but meh, would be another class player in the worlds best league.

Would be a game changer in the push for CL spots too I think.

Arnie

I'm trying not to get hyped.

I tweeted Tony Barrett about Sneijder back in December, immediately after watching Rodgers' fan interview, in which he declared that his primary target come the summer was 'a world class number 10'. At that moment it seemed fairly obvious that if a player of Sneijder's quality in such a role was available now for such an initial fee, surely the club would be foolish not to make an approach. Well, I did that in 140 characters.

Then Tancredi went on Talksport regarding Sneijder on Christmas Eve, I got hyped, and the scoop ended up being a link to Spurs. I deflated, and my interest has been dormant ever since.

Yet suddenly the wheels are spinning, and things are accelerating quickly. I want to see confirmation from Inter's side that an offer, formally, has been made before I really get excited. Because right now I wouldn't put it past FSG to use false interest as a smokescreen to cover the deficiencies in their 23 and under fetish.

Pep went to the Bundesliga, anything can happen.
Pep made the correct choice.

Bundesliga is the best offer on the table, especially at Bayern. Why would he choose any of the other credible offers?

Chelsea? Fuck no. City? Erm, no. United was never on the table, that's just G-Unit being cray. PSG? France, sorry Tim. Milan? No money.

Yeah, I'd agree that it'd be awesome to see Snejder come to the PL, purely on the basis that he is one of the few world class Dutch players. We need more Dutch players :p

Timurid

Bundesliga is the best offer on the table, especially at Bayern. Why would he choose any of the other credible offers?

Chelsea? Fuck no. City? Erm, no. United was never on the table, that's just G-Unit being cray. PSG? France, sorry Tim. Milan? No money.
I fine with Ancelotti at PSG. I wanted Pep to go to one of the milans because the top of the table in serie A at the moment is a disgrace to football.

rodvik

Vey interesting. Sneijder can play in the best league in the world© but take a cut in wages, or go to Turkey, where careers go to die. Your call, Wes.

Obviously Turkey. Clearly he cares about his paycheck. Why take a pay cut? He has nothing to prove to anyone.

Wont everybody call it Wembley anyway? Renaming stadiums almost never works.
They will but its the principle.

They sell half the seats at stupid prices and kill the atmosphere already. They charge £7 for fish and chips and £3 for a cup of tea.

Now they're bastardising the name too. Sellout.

I'd like to see Sneijder in the Premier League but I don't think he would do much for Liverpool this season and is he the sort of player Brendan could use? (genuine question)

fuenf

They will but its the principle.

They sell half the seats at stupid prices and kill the atmosphere already. They charge £7 for fish and chips and £3 for a cup of tea.

Now they're bastardising the name too. Sellout.

wow @ those price O_O Is tea a popular stadium drink in England?

Arnie

I fine with Ancelotti at PSG. I wanted Pep to go to one of the milans because the top of the table in serie A at the moment is a disgrace to football.

Inter are doing fine under Stramaccioni, especially considering how poorly they've done in the post-Mou era. Sure, they need to start beating lesser teams, but that will come with mentality, and as the squad develops.

Milan are in far deeper trouble, for me. They've sold their best players, and not capitalised on them as an asset. Quite frankly the squad's just receding in quality.

As far as Serie A goes though, despite the two Milan clubs, the league's fairly healthy from a footballing perspective. Juventus and Napoli will have a good tussle, Fiorentina and Roma will do well, too, and the two Milan clubs will figure in and around the lot of them. Sure the Milan duopoly isn't what it used to be, but I have faith that with Inter at least, they're returning to the right track.

Milan's just a mess, I don't blame Pep for steering well clear.

I'd like to see Sneijder in the Premier League but I don't think he would do much for Liverpool this season and is he the sort of player Brendan could use? (genuine question)
He's exactly the sort of player we need, genuinely.

He's a goalscoring midfielder who excels as a number 10. We have no number 10. We've resorted to playing Henderson in that role recently, and he's acquitted himself admirably, but he isn't enough of a goal threat to justify selection their if a team aims to push into the top four. Sneijder will score and create tons more goals from midfield, and offers greater depth in our attacking options.

fuenf

I wonder if Guardiola is going to clean house at Bayern?

Is Emre Can still with Bayern?

I doubt it, selling players isnt Bayern's style. DVB, Tymo and Pizarro will most likely be gone though.

Yes Can is still at Bayern.

Yes, because we're not allowed to drink beer whilst watching the match.

Fuck England.

Oh I see. In an average German stadium 40.000 fans consume 8000l of beer on a gameday.

I might have to stop playing at Goals every single Thursday. Having to get the hoover out once a week which is fucking crazy. No one should be hoovering that much.

Clegg

He's exactly the sort of player we need, genuinely.

He's a goalscoring midfielder who excels as a number 10. We have no number 10. We've resorted to playing Henderson in that role recently, and he's acquitted himself admirably, but he isn't enough of a goal threat to justify selection their if a team aims to push into the top four. Sneijder will score and create tons more goals from midfield, and offers greater depth in our attacking options.
Sneijder is a quality player.

But he's definitely not a goalscoring midfielder.

Over the last 5 seasons he's averaged a bit less than 5 league goals a season.

Is Zieler a good keeper?
He can be extremely good with insane reactions, but he has some weaknesses in term of getting out (grabbing corners or in 1-1s).
Leno, ter Stegen, Trapp and then Ulreich/Zieler are the new hawtness + Adler/Neuer.
That's why Leno should think about starting for Russia or Ukraine (not sure which one's his dad from).

Well, 26 is still relatively young for a GK. I don't think it's fair to call Neuer inconsistent, yes his playstyle is high risk but Adler, for example, had just as many mistakes in the first half of the season. The only difference is that Adler gets to save 10-12 balls every game (compared to Neuer's 3-5), it's hard to judge if you are not watching the Bayern games but Neuer is really good at defusing the situation before there's any danger.

He's like Joe Hart.
Neuer doesn not only make those "risky play" mistakes and even when he does it's just him going nuts for the most part (sometimes uncalled for with CBs in the vicinity).
Those non-risky mistake like vs. Nürnberg this season. Can't find it, but here are his excuses, lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71pz1uKRQMY&t=1m56s
He's getting older, but not really getting more solid.
Adler though is solid as a fucking rock - Kahn solid.
As for the bias: I remember Weidenfeller being really high up in the keeper stats '11/12 despite very few goals/situations to show his skills.

Relevant to my interests: Would Sneijder be able to play for Liverpool in the Europa League or would he be cup tied? I don't remember if he played in Europa League this season for Inter.

fuenf

Neuer doesn not only make those "risky play" mistakes and even when he does it's just him going nuts for the most part (sometimes uncalled for with CBs in the vicinity).
Those non-risky mistake like vs. Nürnberg this season. Can't find it, but here are his excuses, lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71pz1uKRQMY&t=1m56s
He's getting older, but not really getting more solid.
Adler though is solid as a fucking rock - Kahn solid.
As for the bias: I remember Weidenfeller being really high up in the keeper stats '11/12 despite very few goals/situations to show his skills.

Adler is solid as a fucking rock? What about the Müller goal? I'm not saying Neuer doesnt make any mistakes, but saying he's inconsistent /mistake prone is just wrong. I just love him for his heroics, what he did at the end of the Italy match was simply fantastic. But I'll admit shots outside of the penalty area are definitely his weakness.

:lol :lol
Only on FIFA

Arnie

Sneijder is a quality player.

But he's definitely not a goalscoring midfielder.

Over the last 5 seasons he's averaged a bit less than 5 league goals a season.
His ability to finish, and create goal scoring opportunities in the final third is light years above what we've currently got, which is Henderson and Shelvey, who're 23 and 20 respectively.

Sneijder remains one of the world's top number 10s. That's his position, and that's our weakness. We've even got a free number 10 shirt with the sale of Cole.
Relevant to my interests: Would Sneijder be able to play for Liverpool in the Europa League or would he be cup tied? I don't remember if he played in Europa League this season for Inter.

Eligible, I think.

Not certain, but he hasn't contributed to tournament play, so I don't think he's cup tied.

He played once for Inter so EL-tied.

He'd probably be awesome at Liverpool.
Ah, really, I thought that was in a preliminary stage.

:lol :lol
Only on FIFA
Fair enough, you've seen far more of him than I have.

What's your assessment of him as a player?

rodvik

Last time I saw him play in serie A he seemed past his sell by date. Combine that with his age and wage demands and I would be surprised if Rodgers really wanted him.

On the plus side he is fairly short so Brendan could touch his face easily.

Clegg

His ability to finish, and create goal scoring opportunities in the final third is light years above what we've currently got, which is Henderson and Shelvey, who're 23 and 20 respectively.

Sneijder remains one of the world's top number 10s. That's his position, and that's our weakness. We've even got a free number 10 shirt with the sale of Cole.
I know he's a quality player. I said as much earlier.

I was just pointing out that previous form dictates he won't score that many goals.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Argentina beat Colombia in the Sudamericano Sub20 but still got eliminated and won't be attending the Turkey World Cup later this year. While playing in Argentina.

OH MY

Adler is solid as a fucking rock? What about the Müller goal? I'm not saying Neuer doesnt make any mistakes, but saying he's inconsistent /mistake prone is just wrong. I just love him for his heroics, what he did at the end of the Italy match was simply fantastic. But I'll admit shots outside of the penalty area are definitely his weakness.

Heh, I don't remember that goal. But dude's been injured/out of the game for a long ass time - no one expected him to even come close to his current form.

On Sneijder
UEFA site says he didn't play aside from the qualification:
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2013/clubs/player=57132/index.html

But:
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/wesley-sneijder/profil/spieler_4673.html
Says he played once vs. FC Vaslui and he's in the HLs, lol
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xt...hlights-uefa-europa-league_sport#.UPieh-TK4-o

Arnie

Last time I saw him play in serie A he seemed past his sell by date. Combine that with his age and wage demands and I would be surprised if Rodgers really wanted him.

On the plus side he is fairly short so Brendan could touch his face easily.

Isn't he not playing because of a contract dispute? Players of his calibre don't just lose their ability at 28, unless they're Fernando Torres, in which case it's 24 hour rolling news. The story behind Sneijder's decline is the contract given, post treble, when Inter were scared of losing him. This then caused issues relating to FFP, and Inter asked him to halve his salary, he refused.

Wasn't he also the Netherland's best player at the Euros? In fact the only player to look like they even gave a shit? That's my recollection of the tournament from their perspective.

Sneijder
UEFA site says he didn't play aside from the qualification:
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2013/clubs/player=57132/index.html
That was my understanding, too. This wouldn't preclude him from playing for us, were a signature to go through, against all odds.

rodvik

Isn't he not playing because of a contract dispute? Players of his calibre don't just lose their ability at 28, unless they're Fernando Torres, in which case it's 24 hour rolling news. The story behind Sneijder's decline is the contract given, post treble, when Inter were scared of losing him. This then caused issues relating to FFP, and Inter asked him to halve his salary, he refused.

Wasn't he also the Netherland's best player at the Euros? In fact the only player to look like they even gave a shit? That's my recollection of the tournament from their perspective.

Absolutely he is not playing for off field reasons. Last time I saw him play he just wasnt that good , I forget when, maybe October? Could have been an off game he has been excellent in the past. I dont think any Netherlands players really covered themselves in glory at the Euros though imho.

fuenf

Heh, I don't remember that goal. But dude's been injured/out of the game for a long ass time - no one expected him to even come close to his current form.

you'll never hear me say a bad thing about Neuer. He had the balls to kick a penalty on that faithful day... that's all I need to know about him.

Facism

Gold Member
Sneider's options are simple:

go to a mediocre, mid-table football team in cultureless, wet, old England.

or

Go to an ascending club with renewed vigour, play in the champs league, get paid more, enjoy the crossroads of the world and it's culture and food. Plus Eboue.

Bringing truth to the youth.

Eugh why is it Ultimate Team you can run into some right dicks but then you get a player who is actually nice and makes you want to keep playing >_<

Demba Ba is a beast so far, dunno why I never got him before.

He can be extremely good with insane reactions, but he has some weaknesses in term of getting out (grabbing corners or in 1-1s).
Leno, ter Stegen, Trapp and then Ulreich/Zieler are the new hawtness + Adler/Neuer.
That's why Leno should think about starting for Russia or Ukraine (not sure which one's his dad from).

Sounds like Fergie could have saved a fair bit of money promoting him. Not that I don't like De Gea.

Arnie

Sneider's options are simple:

go to a mediocre, mid-table football team in cultureless, wet, old England.

or

Go to an ascending club with renewed vigour, play in the champs league, get paid more, enjoy the crossroads of the world and it's culture and food. Plus Eboue.

Bringing truth to the youth.

Can't even argue with that, genuinely.

Fry

Can't even argue with that, genuinely.

image.php

He wouldn't bother since he would definitely not start. Akinfeev will likely be Russian first choice keeper for another decade since he's still only 26.

3Sixty

Yes, because we're not allowed to drink beer whilst watching the match.

Fuck England.

I'm going to Bath vs Exeter Ruggers next weekend. I'm going to consume so much cider in the stand i might wet myself.

When i was at the CB40 cricket final last year i drank about 10 pints of Stowford Press at £4 a pint.

At saints i get a magners at half time if im lucky. Shit sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom