• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
But why is he excused for not being adaptable? It's the manager's or other players' faults for him being ineffective in all but one role? You'd expect top players at a league-leading club to be at the very least good in more than one position, like David Silva or Juan Mata. .

Except I never see Mata played anywhere but behind the striker. He wasn't that great in AVB's 4-3-3 coming from the left, but then there still wasn't the problem of a player being in his way like there would be in a 4-2-3-1; so he had space to work in but there was no one out wide. I think that's been Hazard's problem at times, that he is coming into a position that Mata occupies.

I think it's the manager's fault for starting him in a position that he isn't fully comfortable with yet despite being new to the league, his teammates, coming back from injury and not getting a chance to play in his favoured position first. Why would you expect a top player to look great elsewhere? Aguero looks half the player pushed out wide than he is up front. Podolski is awful out wide compared to up front. Cisse/Ba pushed out wide for Newcastle meant they were a shadow of what they were up front.

You buy players to play in positions; of course it helps if they're versatile. But Kagawa is better in the centre than Welbeck is, I wouldn't pick Welbz over him purely because he can do a job on the left. Carrick is fucking shit as a centre back and great in centre mid. Why would I expect him to be good anywhere other than his favoured position? Anything else is just a bonus.

Wilbur

Banned
Kagawa is class. He's just getting the Wenger-Arshavin-Special treatment by Frogson and being played out of position.

Yep, great point as well. Arshavin played behind the striker for a while and was dynamite. Gets pushed out wide where he's expected to change his game entirely, track back and defend more, and all of a sudden he's written off as shit. That affects him mentally as well. That's down to Wenger.

Kagawa needs to play better, but he isn't getting any help from his manager at the moment.

Fair enough, you've seen far more of him than I have.

What's your assessment of him as a player?
I still like him, even after all this shit, and i wouldn't be mad if he renewed his contract.

I just think that paying him £80,000 per week or similar is just not worth it right now, he's 29, injury prone, definitely not a goalscorer(16 goals in all competitions in the last 3 seasons), he got so lazy that most of the time he couldn't care less about his team(unless he's playing for his beloved NT) and he even stopped scoring fks!

Di Marzio(pep to bayern guy) just said that Gala is tired of waiting for him and if Sneijder doesn't decide quickly(probably on monday) they're going to withdraw their offer, and if that happens, he's probably going to stay since no other team has made an actual bid for him.

I just wish that the fat, little shit(Arshavin) wasn't so greedy and would go somewhere where he could get some playing time instead of riding out his highest-wage-earner-at-Arsenal contract. I really want him to make a resurgence, since he was my favourite Zenit player while he was here, and maybe even be at the World Cup with Russia in Brazil.

GorillaJu

Wilbs, because you don't have the luxury of having a fully fit XI for all 38 league games + cups and CL that never has to adapt to other teams and strategies. You have to make changes and concessions, and it's better to have players who can display versatility when the team needs them to.

Mata is effective out wide, as an advanced playmaker or as a CM, used as a deep lying playmaker. I've seen him play all those roles at Chelsea, and while he has the most influence as an advanced playmaker, he still plays to a very high standard in the other positions.

Obviously no one expects a CM to be able to play CB or a CF to play RB, but there should be some degree of expectation that a playmaker should be able to do a job as a wide man or maybe a second striker.

Managers often resort to players like Welbeck as defensive forwards in big games. Liverpool did it with Dirk Kuyt, Tevez and Dzeko are often used in that position for City, in the past Ferguson had Park doing that work but now Welbeck seems to be the man for that job. The playmaker should be able to adapt, since those situations arise a lot. What I'm saying is that Kagawa has shown a particularly low level of versatility.

Salvadora

I just wish that the fat, little shit(Arshavin) wasn't so greedy and would go somewhere where he could get some playing time instead of riding out his highest-wage-earner-at-Arsenal contract. I really want him to make a resurgence, since he was my favourite Zenit player while he was here, and maybe even be at the World Cup with Russia in Brazil.

I'd have loved to see him at Fulham/Reading but I suppose that would mean he would have to do some work.

Clegg

This Lance Armstrng interview is infuriating.

He was asked if he ever pressured teammates into using PED's. He replied that he was the team leader and it was a very competitive sport they were in. Says some guys would have felt the need to dope.

Just admit you told them to dope, Lance.

Wilbur

Banned
Mata is effective out wide, as an advanced playmaker or as a CM, used as a deep lying playmaker. I've seen him play all those roles at Chelsea, and while he has the most influence as an advanced playmaker, he still plays to a very high standard in the other positions.

When has he played as a CM? Genuinely asking, I can't remember seeing him there.

Obviously no one expects a CM to be able to play CB or a CF to play RB, but there should be some degree of expectation that a playmaker should be able to do a job as a wide man or maybe a second striker.

But my argument would be that a) he's doing an okay job; nothing that stands out but he certainly wasn't poor or notably worse than the rest of the team, and b) that the wide man and number ten positions are quite markedly different in my eyes. There's far more defensive responsibility, your delivery has to be a cross instead of a through ball, you can't play with your back to goal and turn into space as often which Kagawa particularly seems to be adept at...

Dzeko is shit out wide, but people like Tevez and Silva are the exception. Ramires is half the player wide right than he is in the centre, and everyone just acknowledges that. Yet Kagawa is also primarily a central player yet out wide he has to show some versatility? He was better last season than everyone in our league; Silva faded after Christmas, Mata had poor spells. Kagawa won the league, was probably his team's star player (or one of them) and did that playing where he likes to play. I just don't particularly buy into the notion that a class player has to be good in more than one position, nor do I think just because they're advanced positions are behind the striker and wide that similar, hence why players like Hazard and Suarez look to cut in when they play there; because their game is suited to the centre of the pitch.

This Lance Armstrng interview is infuriating.

He was asked if he ever pressured teammates into using PED's. He replied that he was the team leader and it was a very competitive sport they were in. Says some guys would have felt the need to dope.

Just admit you told them to dope, Lance.

The rage I'm feeling watching this interview is incredibly.

this gif reminds me of the shit we put up with from DC

ib1UgvfQJGyFj9.gif

Clegg

LOL @ Armstrong trying to say he wasn't the head of a conspiracy.

If he admits it then he's looking at even more lawsuits against him.

Desperately trying to avoid these questions.

arkon

Welbeck is essentially Emile Heskey with more skillz, at this moment in time. Does the dirty work well, and mostly to the benefit of the team. Pretty sure a couple of goals like against Wigan? were as a result of his pressing the defence high up the pitch.

Couldn't finish his dinner even if he was being spoon-fed though. If he could carry more of a goal threat he could be a beast of a player.

*this post was brought to you courtesy of Alan Shearer*

Wilbur

Banned
Seeing it Tuesday, hope I can stay awake for it :(

Up at half 6 Monday morning, uni 9 to 3, rush to work for 5, work until 12, meet friends and will probably fall asleep at half 4, 5. Up at half 6 Tuesday to get to work for 9, work until 5, cinema at half 7. Will take lots of Pro Plus and Red Bull.

Just watched Silver Linings.

Oh my god.

Amazing.

I had to dry my eyes. No wonder it was nominated for some awards.

Still need to see this. From the trailer, though, seems like your typical 'boy has brain damage or something, falls in love with girl, girl rejects him at first, then at end, girl falls in love with boy' you know? :p

Will watch it, fo'sho

Wilbur

Banned
Just watched Silver Linings.

Oh my god.

Amazing.

I had to dry my eyes. No wonder it was nominated for some awards.

Eh, was pretty good. Solid acting, especially Cooper, but it kept repeating itself. Felt like an hour's worth of plot stretched over two.

HOLY SHIT.

Armstrong is a legitimate sociopath.

Watched the second half of it, just no remorse :lol

Guy's a cunt. End of. Ruined numerous people's lives because of abusing his power. Total fucking cunt.

bjaelke

WJ9qB.jpg

Nothing new/shocking in that Lance interview. He basically paraphrased what every other rider had said before him in similar interviews.

Meier

Got on TV tonight! My fiancee won a little twitter contest and we got to move from the floor to this special seating area to the side of the stage at the Keane show. They asked a few peeps questions after the gig and I was one of them. My internet friend randomly saw it and took a screen cap of me showing up on his TV.

80ef1ce6612911e2914322000a1f984e_7.jpg

The show was incredible. I think Keane are probably my favorite live band alongside Arctic Monkeys (obviously a very different kind of show).

http://www.cbs.com/shows/stage-side-live/artist/199644/keane/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom