• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Yids ‏@Yids
Southampton's worst decision since they let Spurs remove Gareth Bale's 25% sell on fee for £2m

LOL

WHAT

FUCKING LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

LOST OUT ON £10M AHAHAHAHA

If its the same board, then they're the biggest morons after Shebby in the sport

edit; oh. But still, Christ.

qindarka

Banned
Seems absolutely bizarre. What on earth are they trying to achieve with this new manager? Do they think he can get them an European place or something?

Mr.Red

12/09/2010 - Adkins joined Southampton ( 22nd in League 1)

18/01/2013 - Adkins sacked by Southampton (15nd in PL)

No comments

Seems absolutely bizarre. What on earth are they trying to achieve with this new manager? Do they think he can get them an European place or something?

Well you see, he may have left Espanyol 9 points off relegation but as we all know, La Liga is a massively superior league, meaning that he should be able to take S'oton to EUROPA cup places at least.

Guillem Ballgue confirms Wesley Sneijder will sign for Liverpool on £180k/week

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague
I dont think Sneijder will end up at Liverpool unless he dramatically cuts his wages. And he doesnt want to do that at the moment

Hixx

Just reading Lawrenson's predictions for this weekend and it has a table for what the league would look like with his predictions.

QPR 7th with 34 points
KuGsj.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Nigel Adkins: In his time in charge at Southampton across 3 leagues, they enjoyed a 53.2% win rate, scoring 1.80 goals per game on average.

-

Django Unchained in one hour! I have a feeling it's going to be Kill Bill 2.0.

dc89

I guarantee you the majority of clubs will support it. There's been opposition from who, the two moneybags clubs, West Brom and someone else I can't remember. But besides the point, you're fucking sobbing and sitting there wanking into your own tears because United are pushing for it, ignoring the other three and basing it on jealousy or fear.

Get over it.

It's because of clubs like yours FFP is being enforced in the first place. Maybe when you stop making losses you can have a credible argument to how City are definitely going to clear it, and the campus is a great idea and it's ground breaking.

But until then you have absolutely no leg to stand on, and instead you're going to post fucking tripe about how United are running scared and doing this all as an affront to City, rather than using common sense and looking to help the league as a whole.

Of course we'll be able to afford better wages than everyone else in the league. But then so can Spurs or Arsenal; they just don't choose to. They have a wage cap. City don't, and they're spending ludicrous amounts of their turnover on wages.

You're wrong mate. I'm not sobbing because United want it. It's fucking hilarious that United are now asking for it. Would United have asked for it whilst spending around £30 on Rooney, Veron and Rio? nope. They know it's the only way they can compete.

For years you out priced everyone else, yup with money you earned but so what?
People act as if £30m+ transfers have only been around since Abromovich and Mansour. Bollocks.

United fans need to realise, if you weren't saddled with debt because of your own owners leeching money out of the club you could still compete with City and Chelsea financially. Then you wouldn't be voting for this, naturally.

You're wrong mate. I'm not sobbing because United want it. It's fucking hilarious that United are now asking for it. Would United have asked for it whilst spending around £30 on Rooney, Veron and Rio? nope. They know it's the only way they can compete.

United fans need to realise, if you weren't saddled with debt because of your own owners leeching money out of the club you could still compete with City and Chelsea financially. Then you wouldn't be voting for this, naturally.
Not true.

You are missing the point.

United don't want this to push their spending further up.

They want it to push City and Chelsea down. Even if we are debt free the club would still push for this because it would limit Chelsea and City.

BTW United spent about £40m net on transfers this summer and will record a profit at the end of the year - our second biggest spending summer of all time, net.

If this happened now, Levy wouldn't pay them £2m. He'd shiped Bale out to a Belgian club for 20p then buy back for 15p 2 months later.

Seriously though, at the time it was still unlikely for him to ever break through the team, heck no one predicted he'd turn into a left winger and be one of the best in the country!

Still, let's go buy more Southampton players :)

Bo-Locks

Nobody can compete with City financially. United, regardless of the debt certainly couldn't.

I've said it before but it's ironic considering that City were only bought in the first place by Mansour because United were on the doorstep and the City Council essentially gave them a brand new stadium for free. What goes around comes around.

Not true.

You are missing the point.

United don't want this to push their spending further up.

They want it to push City and Chelsea down. Even if we are debt free the club would still push for this because it would limit Chelsea and City.

BTW United spent about £40m net on transfers this summer and will record a profit at the end of the year - our second biggest spending summer of all time, net.

I believe Arsenal and Tottenham are also supporting United on this? We're debt free pretty much, as are Arsenal I believe.

Edit - And Liverpool too, haha they probably want someone to tell them they can't spend money on English players anymore.

Salazar

I have been told 2day a great friend of mine will get his dream come true! U will all be talking about it later. What a clever replacement!

People might think its a bit left field but two of the cleaverest guys are about to be given a superjob. We'll celebrate later

Good luck Pochettino! Sad to see Adkins go but the Saints got a superb manager with a vision

lol what a nob

Aye. Classless.

Nobody can compete with City financially. United, regardless of the debt certainly couldn't.

I've said it before but it's ironic considering that City were only bought in the first place by Mansour because United were on the doorstep and the City Council essentially gave them a brand new stadium for free. What goes around comes around.
dc doesn't realise the economics of this situation.

He thinks that if United were debt free they would pay the same wages as City. We would...and then City would just pay another £100k on top.

I am against FFP and think it's an unbalanced regulation but the reasons outlined for it by dc in particular are just wide of the mark.

I believe Arsenal and Tottenham are also supporting United on this? We're debt free pretty much, as are Arsenal I believe.

Edit - And Liverpool too, haha they probably want someone to tell them they can't spend money on English players anymore.
As I said before, it's Arsenal's letterhead on these plans.

Not United's.

United as the leaders just helps makes a story to contrast them against City.

Az

Nigel sacked? That's a stupid decision.

Also, I lurk this thread way too much. It was actually a part of my dream last night. Someone posted that Falcao was coming to Arsenal and I got all excited. But this is also how I knew it was a dream. :(

Wilbur

Banned

People act as if £30m+ transfers have only been around since Abromovich and Mansour. Bollocks.

Yeah, just read Viva's posts. Good job again dc, can always rely on you to post the shittiest things in a thread that talks about masturbation and Bayern

Salazar

Fucking bananas.

"You wouldn't have asked for this 10-15 years ago"

Of course we wouldn't have, you dippy bastard. It's just imbecilic or disingenuous to act like funnelling limitless funds into a football club is identical to spending money that the club has earned - because it's all money innit.

It's the reaction and perceptual level of a fucking child.

dc89

The deal City did with the council was quite incredible really. David Bernstein pulled a master stroke.

But it's not free. The original agreement was a lease until 2099 I believe. Obviously we were going from 34,000 Maine Road to 47,000 CoMS. There was a concern wether we'd get above 34,000 fans at first, so it was agreed if we didn't fill it over 34,000 on a match day we wouldn't pay the rent that week. Incredible really, we got a great deal.

However, of course we filled it so we've paid our way as originally agreed.

But I don't know wether the agreement has changed under the new ownership. There were rumours of us buying the stadium or building a new one on some land we acquired. But now the plan is to build the campus and extend the capacity by adding a third tier to two of the stands.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
"Whilst we acknowledge the contribution Nigel has made during the past two years, for the club to progress and achieve our long-term targets a change was needed.

"Mauricio is a well-respected coach of substantial quality who has gained a reputation as an astute tactician and excellent man manager. I have every confidence that he will inspire our talented squad of players to perform at the highest possible level."

The man was sacked by Espanyol when they were bottom of the league. They've basically hired an Argentinean Steven Kean.

Randdalf

The problem with FFP for Man City, is that they don't have the enormous fan base that teams like United, Arsenal and Liverpool do. Without the ability to rely on foreign investors they simply wouldn't be able to compete on a financial level with those clubs. Same for Chelsea, though they have spent the last decade growing their brand and might be less affected.

I understand the place you are coming from, but please try and appreciate that it is not the case.

The problem with FFP for Man City, is that they don't have the enormous fan base that teams like United, Arsenal and Liverpool do. Without the ability to rely on foreign investors they simply wouldn't be able to compete on a financial level with those clubs. Same for Chelsea, though they have spent the last decade growing their brand and might be less affected.
City's "brand" has itself grown massively by virtue of the Abu Dhabi group.

They won't be able to spend £100m in a summer anymore but they will most likely foot their wage bill and spend a decent amount each summer and pass the regulations.

City and Chelsea fans are lucky. FFP doesn't hit them, they've just nipped through the closing door. They don't realise it yet but wait for 5 years, once they've tied up their in house deals to falsely inflate their value - they won't be moaning so much then when they're part of the elites.

Salazar

It's almost like they'd have to make the most of the campus/academy development they're so excited about.

Um you do know united still ran at profit when signing those players don't you? The difference is united could afford it from the money they made and still continue to make as a club from merchandise/sponsorship etc whereas city's all comes from your owner and your marketing/sponsorship doesn't even cover the cost of the players wages because you pay them so much. United want this so that they don't have to pay stupid wages not because they're 'scared'. It's a very childish thing to suggest anyway.

The man was sacked by Espanyol when they were bottom of the league. They've basically hired an Argentinean Steven Kean.

Mental decision, wonder if a few Southampton players will be sold and that's the reason they parted ways? He didn't agree perhaps?

Maybe this is Arsenals big plan? Buy some more Southampton players.

dc89

Fucking bananas.

"You wouldn't have asked for this 10-15 years ago"

Of course we wouldn't have, you dippy bastard. It's just imbecilic or disingenuous to act like funnelling limitless funds into a football club is identical to spending money that the club has earned - because it's all money innit.

It's the reaction and perceptual level of a fucking child.

Yikes. Getting personal?

Hindle

Banned
A shame about Adkins, the guy was pretty talented. Massive amounts of potential anyway. He had a brilliant way of dealing with youth as well.

Empty

i <3 dc. he may post some silly things but he keeps coming back even after getting jumped on by eight different united posters.

Randdalf

Mental decision, wonder if a few Southampton players will be sold and that's the reason they parted ways? He didn't agree perhaps?

Maybe this is Arsenals big plan? Buy some more Southampton players.

They're going to simply buy Southampton and rename them Arsenal B. Then they don't have to worry about buying all their young players any more.

Um you do know united still ran at profit when signing those players don't you? The difference is united could afford it from the money they made and still continue to make as a club from merchandise/sponsorship etc whereas city's all comes from your owner and your marketing/sponsorship doesn't even cover the cost of the players wages because you pay them so much. United want this so that they don't have to pay stupid wages not because they're 'scared'. It's a very childish thing to suggest anyway.
This "scared" talks is just City fans getting brave.

If City had such immense owners with such ambitious and efficient plans - why do they oppose FFP?

Are City scared they can't compete when their wealthy owner is no longer a trump card.

It's the same scenario, clubs are just voting for whatever fits them best. dc talks about 15 years ago.

Well how would City have voted 15 years ago?

i <3 dc. he may post some silly things but he keeps coming back even after getting jumped on by eight different united posters.
:lol yeah I'm surprised he's still here!

qindarka

Banned
City's "brand" has itself grown massively by virtue of the Abu Dhabi group.

They won't be able to spend £100m in a summer anymore but they will most likely foot their wage bill and spend a decent amount each summer and pass the regulations.

City and Chelsea fans are lucky. FFP doesn't hit them, they've just nipped through the closing door. They don't realise it yet but wait for 5 years, once they've tied up their in house deals to falsely inflate their value - they won't be moaning so much then when they're part of the elites.

I've never complained about FFP. It was always more detrimental to those who sought to imitate Chelsea and maybe City than to those clubs themselves.

And it's good that Chelsea get its financials in order. Getting a profit last season for once was nice.

These discussions are getting really tiresome. Seems to concern the same old stuff and it's not like either side will ever budge from their position and they know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom