• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
I just think either he's a massive troll or he's deluded half the time. Recently he's been posting more about United than City or anything else, and it's usually something snarky. Just comes across as him getting jumped on because there's more United fans, despite him stoking the fires in the first place, case in point being today.

I don't mean any malice because I don't even know him, but he either targets his posts specifically to wind United fans up or he really buys into the Gilluminati/United jealousy thing.

I've never complained about FFP. It was always more detrimental to those who sought to imitate Chelsea and maybe City than to those clubs themselves.
I think it's an awful plan. It might marginally be a little better than the situation we have now just because it should put a cap on the crazy spending but it definitely isn't good for the fans who will be leeched at even more and it's sadly going to pass as an attempt to make football fair(er?) when really they should be looking at other measures.

Wilbur

Banned
I think it's an awful plan. It might marginally be a little better than the situation we have now just because it should put a cap on the crazy spending but it definitely isn't good for the fans who will be leeched at even more and it's sadly going to pass as an attempt to make football fair when really they should be looking at other measures.

I think on one hand it sucks because a team like Everton can't use short term planning to catch up with the big boys, but there's absolutely no harm in wage caps, encouraging the turning of a profit etc. There's always going to be better options, but they just need to curb ridiculous losses for now.

Salazar

Rob Harris ‏@RobHarris
French Sports Minister Fourneyron on Armstrong: "The manipulation continues. It's a well-acted scene. We have a minimal confession"

I get so turned on by French women who don't take any shit.

Never mind if she's pushing 60.

I think on one hand it sucks because a team like Everton can't use short term planning to catch up with the big boys, but there's absolutely no harm in wage caps, encouraging the turning of a profit etc. There's always going to be better options, but they just need to curb ridiculous losses for now.
Problem is that now the clubs have so much power they decide what happens. United for example would never vote for a wage cap.

FFP as a concept is not bad at all but these plans are too complicated and there are far too many loopholes and inconsistencies.

Take the Sneijder > Liverpool deal for instance. Liverpool have to deal with a 50% tax rate, Galatasaray with just 15%. FFP doesn't account for that. Liverpool have to pay considerably more to get the same player in the same market - but are bound to rules which put them at, in this instance, a considerable disadvantage.

Across the entire transfer and wage market, nations with higher taxes are now penalised by FFP for no good reason. Of course it just so happens that most of the countries with higher tax rates generally have wealthier clubs so the actual effect is probably, on balance, fairer...so lol...but yeah you get my point I'm sure.

qindarka

Banned
Going on from the Armstrong affair, would anyone be surprised if doping is found to be prevalent in the top echelons of football as well?

Going on from the Armstrong affair, would anyone be surprised if doping is found to be prevalent in the top echelons of football as well?
Personally I would be amazed if football is a clean sport.

The drug testing rules are pathetic really.

Easy to dope and in some ways it just makes sense to, it's that easy and with so much at stake I think it's definitely happening.

faridmon

My exam today was totally bullshit, but I can see myself getting decent grade at it. That would be good if I didn't fail my coursework and have to repeat it capped. Bloody hell!

I think this unite is a wash so I have to fully commit on the other units or a 2.1 won't possible

I am screwed: /

faridmon

Adkins fired? Well, aren't Saints punvhing above thier weight? He got them up from non-existance to PL in 2 years. That guy should be stuck with, no matter what heppens.

Kyoufu

I wouldn't be surprised but Football is more than just a physical sport. Would doping really improve a player much?

Wilbur

Banned
Personally I would be amazed if football is a clean sport.

The drug testing rules are pathetic really.

Easy to dope and in some ways it just makes sense to, it's that easy and with so much at stake I think it's definitely happening.

Imagine if we found out Messi was actually doping. GAF Messi would be in such tears.

My exam today was totally bullshit, but I can see myself getting decent grade at it. That would be good if I didn't fail my coursework and have to repeat it capped. Bloody hell!

I think this unite is a wash so I have to fully commit on the other units or a 2.1 won't possible

I am screwed: /

Offer your lecturer a blowie

Salazar

I wouldn't say prevalent, but I can believe that it's around. I dunno how the relative length of careers across sports might influence a propensity to dope; I'd say that the briefer and more intense the window of competitiveness the greater the temptation to go in for it, but that's rank speculation on my part.

I'm fairly sure the odd club doctor has given the odd player something they had no idea about, as well. If you told Titus Bramble to swallow a pill, he'd swallow it.

The Manti Te'o hilarity, too. A footballer with a fake girlfriend would just about kill me.

Slizz

I think at this point you gotta assume some sort of PED use is happening across almost all sports. I'm sure the NBA has some athletes using, cycling is huge with PED's, Olympians have been busted from all over the world. It's a part of sports culture I feel now.

So much so that High School student PED use is climbing rapidly in the USA.

qindarka

Banned
Honestly, if a top player was found doping, I wouldn't condemn just him, would immediately suspect every other top player. Same goes for other sports.

Empty

i think there's definitely lots of doping, the stakes are too high and it's too easy to beat the system. however with the exchange of players and rivalries and egoes i'd be surprised if there's lots of institutional doping i.e united or barca having doping schemes like the us postal team did, if so someone like ibrahimovic would have blown the lid off it in anger.

Salazar

Honestly, if a top player was found doping, I wouldn't condemn just him, would immediately suspect every other top player. Same goes for other sports.

I tend not to go in for polemic about the FA as a filth organisation, but that sounds like exactly the kind of thing they would "handle internally".

Slizz

In the NFL now Adderall is now being used during games to keep defenders laser-focused, a few players have already been busted.

When people think drug use in sports they tend to think steriods or HGH. That just isn't the case, in fact if I had to guess and a football player in Europe was found doping I bet you it would be closer to what cyclists use than American Football players use.

Cyclists use drugs to help their stamina in long distance rides and what not, something a Football player could definitely use to stay fresh for 90 minutes.

Tottenham said:
Following consultation with the knee surgeon, the Club can report that Sandro is expected to be sidelined for the rest of the season after surgery on his right knee earlier this week.

The Brazil international was forced off during Saturday's game against Queens Park Rangers after injuring both his Anterior Cruciate Ligament and Lateral Meniscus.

Absolutely gutted :(

AVB hasn't been able to field a full strength 11 this season, quite annoying!

Big blow to Spurs' CL hopes.

Now the goal for the season is to keep Parker and Dembele both fit, easier said than done.

Need Kaboul back too. Hopefully Ekotto starts Sunday, needs to start getting back into the team, when he plays LB Bale plays much better from the left.

Salazar

Rob Harris ‏@RobHarris
Another Man United sponsorship deal in Asia - 3-year deal with Japanese paint manufacturer Kansai after 2 with Chinese companies this week

Yeeeeaaah

Young is fit.

Give me

----------DeGOD
Raf--Rio--------Vidic--Evra
------Clev----Carrick
---------Kagawa
---Waz----RVP---Young

Or something. I don't know. Just win plz.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ben Pearce ‏@BenPearceSpurs

#thfc have confirmed that Sandro is out for the rest of the season.

HU5Nc.gif

The Brazil international was forced off during Saturday's game against Queens Park Rangers after injuring both his Anterior Cruciate Ligament and Lateral Meniscus.

igvtkoxj9fncd3kkq0.gif

I wouldn't be surprised but Football is more than just a physical sport. Would doping really improve a player much?
Yeah I know what you mean.

I'm sure it improves your performance but the technical ability and game intelligence is still a key part of the game.

Salazar

If Mertesacker could run fast, that'd be something.

Although it would be a big fucking red flag if he started speeding up after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom