• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope.

Over the last 5 years our transfer spend, net, isn't too disimillar to yours.

If City, Chelsea, Madrid and Barca are going to be paying £40m for players we need to be able to do the same. Especially when Fergie retires.

You perhaps can't compete when PSG and City get involved and you fail to draw the player with the allure of trophies, but you've always been willing to spend £40m+ a year as far as I can tell, and you have two players on contracts which are (I think) approaching £200k a week

I have to go to work now, so if you tear my post to pieces and I don't respond, don't take that as a face-saving action

FootballFan

Sanchezzzz. close.

Match already started but lineup incase anyone cares:

Subs: Valdes, Alba, Busquets, Bartra, Dos Santos, Tello, Messi

Barcelona (4-3-3): Pinto; Alves, Puyol, Mascherano, Montoya; Sergi Roberto, Song, Thiago; Cesc, Villa, Alexis

Timurid

Please..don't..

Wheres the andres toothpaste GIF thing when I need it?!

tumblr_lis6cyk08z1qezemq.gif

Sup.

operon

You perhaps can't compete when PSG and City get involved and you fail to draw the player with the allure of trophies, but you've always been willing to spend £40m+ a year as far as I can tell, and you have two players on contracts which are (I think) approaching £200k a week

I have to go to work now, so if you tear my post to pieces and I don't respond, don't take that as a face-saving action

later in after dark gaf

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I don't know why I lost interest in Far Cry 3 :/

Spoilers in spoiler tags
Maybe it's because I killed Boateng?

No motivation to go any further.

And my inventory is always fucking full.

FootballFan

Spoilers in spoiler tags

Spoiler:

I loved it but the quality did drop once you get rid of Boateng. He was a great villain imo.

I always had space in my inventory, upgraded all the bags to maximum capacity.

Linius

Spoilers in spoiler tags

Then expand your bag pack you fool! :p

Had no problems with storing my stuff later in the game. And I fucking loved it till the end. Maybe not caring about the story did the trick? I just love shooting pirates.

GQman2121

Banned
Revenue sharing is how all sports work in the US. It's how cities like Buffalo and Jacksonville are able to hold NFL teams afloat/hostage. It's a good thing really.

Garjon

Are you saying this is a bad thing? Online features built into the console OS should be the standard.

Based on the declining quality of modern design OSes and especially webpages, yes. Full standardisation should be nowhere near any device as it only blocks innovation in UI design form the developers and makes you reliant on one interface, whether it's good or shit, for ALL of your games.

Apologies if already posted (rumour from ESPN)

20.00 GMT:Newcastle are set to complete a deal for Swiss defensive midfielder Kevin Mbabu. The 17-year-old has played just one game for current club Servette and has previously been linked with Arsenal and Manchester United. The deal is estimated to cost the club around £1 million, with Mbabu set to join the Magpies' development squad.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
David Villa :(
Spoiler:

I loved it but the quality did drop once you get rid of Boateng. He was a great villain imo.

I always had space in my inventory, upgraded all the bags to maximum capacity.

Then expand your bag pack you fool! :p

Had no problems with storing my stuff later in the game. And I fucking loved it till the end. Maybe not caring about the story did the trick? I just love shooting pirates.

I don't like hunting for stuff. It feels like grinding, and it reminds me of MMOs. :p

Garjon

Spoilers in spoiler tags

Did you finish all of the Towers and Outposts? Because I imagine that'll be the point where I finish. It was a good game to begin with, but the awful hit detection, weird difficulty spikes, enemies being able to spot you from miles off while you're crouched in foliage and the main character's inability to shut up or survive a ten foot drop are really making the game drag for me.

Okay, well I will leave you some reading for tmrw.

This will be a long post but I'm gonna try to best explain that I'm dead serious with what I said and that United are not actually that powerful financially, at the moment. I'll split the post up a bit to help.

EDIT - Highlighting headline figures so people who can't be bothered to read can just see the differences in list format.

Well there are two costs to consider. The wages and the transfer fees.

Until now the transfer fee has always been considered the important factor...and in fairness for quite a while it was simply because so few clubs could afford the really big payouts. We paid £30m for Ferdinand and £25m for Veron way back in the early 00's. That was well beyond what anybody else could afford within the Premierleague. Today that isn't the case, domestically there's competition from City and Chelsea, two clubs which can pay more than us on any given day, no questions asked. That puts us in a weaker position to them in the transfer market and the same is true against the likes of PSG, Barcelona and Real Madrid. Before including other clubs, that's us 6th already. And we are losing players to them - we lost Hazard and Moura just this summer. We wanted Alexis Sanchez and Barcelona signed him. Real Madrid paid the £30m for Modric we weren't prepared to do. I know there are other factor's at play here too, but United are not really capable of fighting competitively amongst that top bracket any longer.

Yes, we signed RVP for £24m, Kagawa for £12m-£15m, De Gea for almost £20m - and they are all wonderful signings for us and they cost alot of money...but we're picking from those below us in the food chain.

Domestically we aren't even #3, these are the transfer spends in the PL for the last 5 years:

Gross Spend
1) Man City- £530m
2) Chelsea - £326m
3) Liverpool - £252m
4) Tottenham - £205m
5) United - £184m

Net Spend
1) Man City - £407
2) Chelsea - £229
3) Stoke - £75m
4) Aston Villa - £69m
5) Liverpool - £60m
5) Man United - £57m

We are lucky we have a strong team already with alot of great players so yes we don't have to spend like City had to and we have youth products etc - but quite simply if you want to be the best you have to buy the best players and there are quite a few clubs out there looking to sign the best players and they can afford it more than we can. Going forwards into the future...those clubs can eclipse us with ease, just look at the difference between us and Chelsea and City, it's insane.

This is why I said what I said, and I know it must sound insane to fans of clubs even as big as Liverpool, difficult for Kyoufu to comprehend when his club can just about find the money for Debuchy and totally alien for the fans of Bradford, Swansea and QPR who sometimes post here...but that's the reality of it for us because we are competing against those clubs who will pay that amount of money.

---

Then there are the wages. United do pay handsome wages no doubt and Rooney and RVP in particular are most likely amongst the worlds top earning players but again, against other clubs our wages are not at the same level.

Latest financial results show United's wage bill is lower than:

Barcelona - £101k/w
Real Madrid - £90k/w
Man City - £86k/w
Chelsea - £80k/w
AC Milan - £71k/w
Bayern - £68k/w
Inter Milan - £66k/w
United - £64k/w

In the case of the Milan clubs that is almost certainly no longer the case. All the others are still paying more wages than us and the top 4 especially are paying ALOT more than us. I think we were about £20m-£30m less than City and Chelsea on last years wage bill so that's about £400k wages per week, that's 2 players earning £200k. A big difference. Most likely closer this year however as we signed RVP. Barca's average wage is £100k, United's is something like £65k. For reference latest results suggest Liverpool's are something like £55k...so we are much closer on that front to you than we are to the others at the top of the game.

The best players/staff want the most money. We've been gifted with Fergie and with an amazing group of players and the allure of the club but it won't last going into the future. Money talks and wages more than ever, and we already see it now...and a big big factor.

---

So yeah, I'm dead serious when I say we need to be more competitive lol. It's actually kind of amazing that United remain as competitive as they are when on a financial level we are well behind the others. Yes there are always caveats and things aren't that straightforwards...but we aren't the #1 power in the transfer market, we're not even top 3 and maybe not top 5. If we want to be the best club in Europe, we gotta be better than that...and for that we need money.

Now just think about how far behind Liverpool are on this particular front. It's crazy.

And yes I know there is alot more to it than money, Barca aren't the team they are down to money, neither are Dortmund and neither are Juve...but it's one factor and it's an important one where at the moment Man United are someway behind

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
And yes I know there is alot more to it than money, Barca aren't the team they are down to money, neither are Dortmund and neither are Juve...but it's one factor and it's an important one where at the moment Man United are someway behind

Hey

HEY

What do you mean "Juve" followed by THREE DOTS? HUH? Are you saying our success is down to OTHER FACTORS?

Your jealousy is palpable.

Did you finish all of the Towers and Outposts?

Not yet! I probably won't tbh. It's as boring as AC's towers.

That's why Viva is the best poster in this thread.

You read all of that? I Ctrl+F'd "Juve".

FootballFan

Do Barca fans like Alexis that much? The buzz around him 2 years ago was insane but he hasn't impressed me at all at Barcelona.

He was pretty damn good in his first season, fit in great and was effective. This season, other than diving he has been doing nothing.

He would have been a much better signing for a team like Man United imo.

I still like Sanchez, he works very hard off the ball but I wish he would stop diving and just try play a bit more simple.

People call Busquets a dive king but I can't even remember a Busquets dive that wasn't in a Clasico or against Inter. Sanchez does it every single game. Even against Cordoba when Barca is winning 5-0 on aggregate..

Zabojnik

Forza Juve! <3

You'll get Llorente in the summer.

Maybe, but others will be getting the likes of Cavani, Neymar and Falcao. It's impossible to play catch-up with these teams. I guess we're a wee big club. :(

Soooooo.... apparently Bilbao would prefer to let Llorente go out on a Bosman in June than take money from us now in January; the logic I guess would be that if Bilbao is without Llorente from January on that they'll stand to lose more money in ticket/shirt sales, sponsorship, and wins/table position than the &#8364;4m we've offered. Apparently, then, Marotta has prepared a &#8364;7m deal to sign him now.

Bilbao's president is a freaking lunatic. That's all there's to it. They would be crazy not to accept 7M&#8364;. How will they lose more money in ticket/shirt sales? It's not like they have this huge fanbase worldwide and everybody in Bilbao hates Llorente's guts for wanting to leave. Or so I've been told. Just sell him now and put everybody out of their misery.

I think toro are going to lose against Siena. Half of our team are suspended, we let go of sgrigna and agostini a few days ago. Also, juve Stabia are trying to lure are youth away. Hard times for Toro.

C_3_Media_1564488_immagine_ts673_400.jpg

Savior.

Not surprising that Napoli's statement sounds like it's coming from the mouth of a mafia don, given that it's Napoli and De Laurentiis is a fucking thug: THIS IS A GRAVE INSULT TO THE CHARACTER OF NAPOLI, THE MOST MORAL-EST CLUB IN THE WORLD WITH THE MOST TRULY HONEST AND MORAL FANS IN THE WORLD NOT EVEN JOKING HERE FOR REALZ.

Second press release: If you are the pregnant wife of a Napoli player, or, in fact, a player for our team, do not park your car outside our stadium. Except, of course, if you own a vespa which is required as a getaway vehicle for Don De Laurentiis.

You know you have a team full of thuggish cunts when someone as well-mannered, classy and awesome as Marchisio speaks 'against' you. Napoli are scum. FootballFan, repent and walk in the Light again. You're still in time.

delaurentiispiss.gif

GQman2121

Banned
That entire post reads to me like: Once SAF leaves we're fucked if we don't step up our spending. And I have to agree.

Who has the best record with academy players in England?

That entire post reads to me like: Once SAF leaves we're fucked if we don't step up our spending. And I have to agree.

Who has the best record with academy players in England?
Haha that's a very good way to sum it up...

Historically United still produce the most players who go on to have a career within the league, I think...but no notable names for a long while now.

I think Southmapton probably have the best record of late - Bale, Walcott, Chamberlain.

But I mean, if you think about the English players who are u-23, who is there who you could consider as a world class or potentially world class player who you'd be happy to pay £30m for? Not many at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom