• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Too young to tell, really. Came on for three minutes against Inter and played a sublime little through ball that would've put Yesil through on goal if he'd held his run by about a yard. People who've seen plenty of him rave about him though. And he's scouse, so that's a plus.

Loving the United confidence gushing through in the previous page, keep it coming. Will it be 4, 5, or 6? Will Van Persie get a hat trick?

It's a shame when I'm the most rational of the United fans :lol

Arnie

I can't wait to see United crush those clowns at Old Trafford.
Gobble that glory, glory Tim.
Didn't you have to pay like £50 for a proprietary wi-fi adaptor?
I didn't personally because I use an ethernet cable and always have done, and it didn't seem to bother people enough to adopt the console and Xbox Live, as history's shown.
Also you have to play to play online. Fuck that.
It's about £2 a month for an infinitely superior service that contains all my friends.
It's a shame when I'm the most rational of the United fans :lol
The best was the wild Viva prediction that somebody else copied.

:lol :lol Kagawa to score :lol

Kyoufu

Hey Timerda. Rumours that we're interested in Ogbonna. What do you think?

It's about £2 a month for an infinitely superior service that contains all my friends.l

"Infinitely superior service"

This post must be from 2005. PSN poops on XBL for everything but party chat.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
United beat Sunderland 3-1
Liverpool beat Sunderland 3-0

Liverpool 1 - 0 United.

-

Napoli have released a statement slamming Claudio Marchisio for his “grave insult” towards the club and demanded clarification from Juventus.

Marchisio hit the headlines when telling the Corriere della Sera that he had “antipathy” towards Napoli. “When I am faced with them, something goes off in me.”

Now the San Paolo club has responded with an official statement.

“Marchisio’s comments represent a grave insult towards Napoli and all of Italian football. We are surprised that a player of his stature and who plays in such a prestigious club would say things like that.

“We hope it is only a misunderstanding and await clarification from the player and from Juventus.”

The rapport between the clubs hit a new low after the Italian Super Cup in Beijing this August.

Napoli saw two players sent off and lost the trophy in extra time, so boycotted the presentation ceremony in protest.

Hixx

yurt
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

Garjon

I'll pay £2.50 a month for a much better experience than what PSN offers to be honest

It's less than 10p a day. Go a couple of days without wanking and you'll make it back on toilet roll

It WAS a much better experience. The Xbox menus have gotten more laggy and cumbersome with each update for the past 3 years, too few sane people talk on Live anymore except in parties and it suffers from the same latency problems as everybody else. It's probably still better than PSN solely for the social side but not by what it was a couple of years ago or so.

GQman2121

Banned
Sony definitely underestimated the appeal of online gaming when it came to party chat or online community in general. They've done a lot over the years to rectify that problem, but initially dropped the ball and lost serious ground to MS.

Huge mistake if they don't include their standard Bluetooth headset in the box with their next console. It's wonderful that you can assign any Bluetooth with the PS3 & Vita; however, most people are not going to buy additional hardware for something they may not be sure--or realize--they even need. You have force it onto those people before it clicks.

Kyoufu

I'd rather pay for PS+ than XBL.

Microsoft put Netflix behind a paywall. Hilarious. I'd rather have all those apps accessible without having to subscribe and still have the option of paying monthly for an instant video game collection that continues to grow.

Once they add party chat to PS4 there's no way in hell anyone can justify paying for XBL.

Arnie

You'll be paying for online on both Xbox3 and PS4.
Exactly, because Sony made yet another fuck awful business move thinking they'd win over the masses offering a free service, forgetting that quality matters, and costs.
"Infinitely superior service"

This post must be from 2005. PSN poops on XBL for everything but party chat.
It's actually a post from reality. Party Chat, and by extension the friends list is the primary reason for investing in the service. To play and communicate with your friends. It's more than worth paying £2 a month for. If party chat didn't exist I probably wouldn't play videogames at all.

And you go from a 360 to PSN, it's horrendous. Thousands of shitehawk updates that take hours to download and install. Terrible, just terrible.

It WAS a much better experience. The Xbox menus have gotten more laggy and cumbersome with each update for the past 3 years, too few sane people talk on Live anymore except in parties and it suffers from the same latency problems as everybody else. It's probably still better than PSN solely for the social side but not by what it was a couple of years ago or so.
I've never once noticed a substantial, or even apparent increase in menu lag and I've been using the service since 2005. Neither have the people I play games with.

Microsoft put Netflix behind a paywall. Hilarious. I'd rather have all those apps accessible without having to subscribe and still have the option of paying monthly for an instant video game collection that continues to grow.

Once they add party chat to PS4 there's no way in hell anyone can justify paying for XBL.
It's too late.

Sony will charge for online on PS4. You'll cry, or probably come out in favour of it, but the mass market UK consumer will buy the new Xbox. I go where my friends go, and my friends go where I go, and we all go to Xbox Live. It's online gaming for the vast majority in this country. Which is why I couldn't give a fuck about worldwide sales numbers.

WJD

Not when you guys are so bitter.

There isn't really much to be bitter about when you're the biggest club in the country to be honest. Certainly not compared to the level of bitterness that might build up over, say, two decades of mediocrity.

Arnie

I dunno, ask Sal or Viva. Sal still dislikes Benitez.

Sal's captain irrational.

He gets too easily wound up by RAWK, or Rodgers, or in this case, Benitez. He's as bad as the RAWK posters he writes poems about, but he doesn't see it. It's quite funny, actually.

Garjon

I've never once noticed a substantial, or even apparent increase in menu lag and I've been using the service since 2005. Neither have the people I play games with.

Even discounting the many problems with the Metro UI in general, it has taken far longer to do anything in XBL in game than it did when NXE first appeared (and even that wasn't great to begin with). That's also forgetting that PSN doesn't force every user to use said menus rather than doing everything (invites, messages etc) in the game.

The Vita has party chat so it's a given in PS4. Sony will expand the LiveArea concept too I imagine, maybe by allowing to post custom messages on them, rather than just preset updates and trophy unlocks.

operon

Exactly, because Sony made yet another fuck awful business move thinking they'd win over the masses offering a free service, forgetting that quality matters, and costs.

It's actually a post from reality. Party Chat, and by extension the friends list is the primary reason for investing in the service. To play and communicate with your friends. It's more than worth paying £2 a month for. If party chat didn't exist I probably wouldn't play videogames at all.

And you go from a 360 to PSN, it's horrendous. Thousands of shitehawk updates that take hours to download and install. Terrible, just terrible.

It's too late.

Sony will charge for online on PS4. You'll cry, or probably come out in favour of it, but the mass market UK consumer will buy the new Xbox. I go where my friends go, and my friends go where I go, and we all go to Xbox Live. It's online gaming for the vast majority in this country. Which is why I couldn't give a fuck about worldwide sales numbers.
party chat is great in fact the money I save talking to my brother on it instead of ringing his mobile pay cross border rates is easily more than the cost of xbox live. Gaffers wanting sony to go balls out on the PS4 but want it to be cheap only going to happen if they can subsidise it with on line play

Kyoufu

party chat is great in fact the money I save talking to my brother on it instead of ringing his mobile pay cross border rates is easily more than the cost of xbox live. Gaffers wanting sony to go balls out on the PS4 but want it to be cheap only going to happen if they can subsidise it with on line play

It's called Skype.

Arnie

Even discounting the many problems with the Metro UI in general, it has taken far longer to do anything in XBL in game than it did when NXE first appeared (and even that wasn't great to begin with). That's also forgetting that PSN doesn't force every user to use said menus rather than doing everything (invites, messages etc) in the game.

Like doing what?

I don't spend any substantial time in the Metro UI anyway, I boot up, use the guide, join a party, and play a game. That's as fast as it's always been. If I'm doing something on the dashboard, like searching for a demo, I just search for it. Don't see where the outrage comes from?

Not surprising that Napoli's statement sounds like it's coming from the mouth of a mafia don, given that it's Napoli and De Laurentiis is a fucking thug: THIS IS A GRAVE INSULT TO THE CHARACTER OF NAPOLI, THE MOST MORAL-EST CLUB IN THE WORLD WITH THE MOST TRULY HONEST AND MORAL FANS IN THE WORLD NOT EVEN JOKING HERE FOR REALZ.

Second press release: If you are the pregnant wife of a Napoli player, or, in fact, a player for our team, do not park your car outside our stadium. Except, of course, if you own a vespa which is required as a getaway vehicle for Don De Laurentiis.

GQman2121

Banned
I think the success of PS+ will keep the actual online portion of gaming free for Sony. There's really nothing bad to say about PS+. It's a great value that programs new online users that buying digital is simple and easy.

It's shocking how much of the general gaming public have no idea of the games available to them online. That's on LIVE or PSN. I've had very strange conversations with people at bars and Gamestops about games and when I mention something like DLC or downloadable titles, they have no idea it even exist.

Looks like you already lost an avatar bet.

My avatar has win
at all costs
written all over it

One thing every online service needs:

The ability to customise your friends' instant profile. I want to be able to label the people on my Friends List with the things that make them familiar to me. I have dozens of people on there, and I don't know if they're from here, RAWK or Gameplay

@operon, I'll get me a Ferguson avatar of your choice if I lose. Who do you support?

Arnie

Moving away to University I've managed to keep in close, almost daily contact with 90% of my male friends from home. We've still got as good a rapport as we had when everyone left, and it makes it easier for us to catch up when we're back. That's worth the slim price of admission, to me. And that's forgetting the hilarious water colour moments that exist when eight lads are laughing and joking around playing games.

With the PS3 I'm sat their in solitary confinement, borderline depressed.

operon

You sound bitter sometimes. Maybe you're just trolling and I get the wrong idea.

I'm not bitter. I respect Man Utd, and have nothing to be bitter about. Liverpool's time will come when Fergie retires.
He trolls but not in a lunchbox way

Garjon

it's been 7 years since the current consoles launched and the price of components has come way down since then. There is absolutely no reason why either console can't have the specs of a medium-high PC and still retail around the £300 mark at launch. What will cost the most money, as always, will be the additional components, like Kinect 2 and the Wii U tablet. If the rumours are to be believed, the PS4 won't have such a thing.

Also, Sony knows that a portion of their userbase refused to buy a 360 solely because of paying for online play and they seem to finally be enjoying some success with PSN+ as it is. I can see Sony charging for some 'advanced' features but keeping the basics free, while MS will have some sort of multi-tier pricing.

Kyoufu

You know what I mean I can talk to my brothers all in a party play the same games or different ones with in N. Ireland and them in R of Ireland.

Yeah it's a nice feature. I wouldn't use it much personally as I don't want people talking to me when I'm playing a single-player experience.

Only time I use voice chat is when playing online games with friends.

ssDfI.jpg

Operon's avatar come E3 Day 2

:lol :lol

GQman2121

Banned
it's been 7 years since the current consoles launched and the price of components has come way down since then. There is absolutely no reason why either console can't have the specs of a medium-high PC and still retail around the £300 mark at launch. What will cost the most money, as always, will be the additional components, like Kinect 2 and the Wii U tablet. If the rumours are to be believed, the PS4 won't have such a thing.

Also, Sony knows that a portion of their userbase refused to buy a 360 solely because of paying for online play and they seem to finally be enjoying some success with PSN+ as it is. I can see Sony charging for some 'advanced' features but keeping the basics free, while MS will have some sort of multi-tier pricing.

Actually, I can totally see Sony making party chat a PS+ feature now that I'm thinking about it. It's an easy addition to ad to the list of features that the service already provides (online storage) and they can use Xbox Live's inclusion as justification to that rationale.

Ideally, both of those would go free for all and PS+ would remain about the games and discounts. But I can totally see where Arn is coming from.

Yen

I think exclusives was the main reason for this. In 2005 Sony still had monsters like Final Fantasy, Metal Gear etc while Xbox only had Halo and a few other smaller franchises like PGR. Now though, it's a level playing field.

Timurid

Hey Timerda. Rumours that we're interested in Ogbonna. What do you think?

He is a quality ball playing defender. He was in and out for the last few months due various injuries and a hernia. A lot of big clubs like PSG and Man utd want him. Also, shit clubs like inter, AC milan, and Rubentus want him too. I read that Cairo (owner) wants at least 15mil for him. I don't see him going to newcastle tbh. If he was to leave, he'll probably leave in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom