• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT12| Kicked the Ballboy Like Stan Hit Ulrika

Jimrpg

QPR deserve relegation after what Harry said yesterday. Harry and Tony can both fuck off. Good riddance to them both and QPR.

The QPR players have been absolutely abysmal from what i have seen. Going 4 goals down against MK dons is a travesty.

I don't think any other manager would have made a difference... meltface is doing a decent job all round.... the players are just there to collect a pay check... don't put the blame on Tony, he's just been releasing the money. I feel bad for Tony though - top guy, but he's getting shafted by the players and the agents who all want a piece of his pie.

Lunchbox

Banned
http://youtu.be/gGNfvAtX-0s

"FAT CUNT"
ibkedZPs6kN2iy.png

FAT CAANT made me smile

Jimrpg

Tony Fernandes is a scumbag.

Tony is a businessman... his main business is air asia. they fly into europe from South East Asia to london - therefore he needs a prem club. no one in south east asia watches the championship... He's done a shit load more for QPR then half the owners in the prem... (i'm looking at you bill kenwright)

Tony is hardly a scumbag - he's 100% worshipped back in SEA and has the equivalent of a knighthood for everything he has done for Malaysia and South East Asia.

Lightning

Banned
The QPR players have been absolutely abysmal from what i have seen. Going 4 goals down against MK dons is a travesty.

I don't think any other manager would have made a difference... meltface is doing a decent job all round.... the players are just there to collect a pay check... don't put the blame on Tony, he's just been releasing the money. I feel bad for Tony though - top guy, but he's getting shafted by the players and the agents who all want a piece of his pie.
This is what Harry said

He said: "If you look at the team today, what is it? An England goalkeeper [Rob Green], a right-back from Manchester United [Fabio], a left-back in Armand Traore.

"You've got Anton Ferdinand and Tal Ben Haim, then Esteban Granero from Real Madrid. You've got Ale Faurlin, Park Ji-sung from Manchester United, Jamie Mackie, Jay Bothroyd and DJ Campbell."

"I gave them a chance today because they knock on my door and say they should be playing and other people tell me they are all good players," the former Tottenham boss said.

"Well, they got their chance today and they blew it. It answers questions - not for me because I already knew the answer, but for other people. Today they saw the answers."

Now the bolded passage says he sent players out there who he knew werent good enough to win the game but still charged QPR fans to come watch a team he knew weren't going to win. That is totally disrespectful and completely out of line. We all understand rotation is required in football but to come out like that is just wrong.

DominoKid

This is what Harry said

Now the bolded passage says he sent players out there who he knew werent good enough to win the game but still charged QPR fans to come watch a team he knew weren't going to win. That is totally disrespectful and completely out of line. We all understand rotation is required in football but to come out like that is just wrong.

LMAO Harry sounds like a spectacular manager.

Randdalf

No, I think what he's saying is that he put out a team filled with international players and talents, who absolutely blew it. By all rights, at any other club in any other situation, a club with those calibre of players should be breaking into the top 10 in the Premier League. So he gave them the chance, because they told him they were good enough, but they've just proven that they're not. Sure they lost, and sure Harry had his suspicions that they wouldn't play very well, but I bet he didn't think that they would play so abysmally.

Tony is a businessman... his main business is air asia. they fly into europe from South East Asia to london - therefore he needs a prem club. no one in south east asia watches the championship... He's done a shit load more for QPR then half the owners in the prem... (i'm looking at you bill kenwright)

Tony is hardly a scumbag - he's 100% worshipped back in SEA and has the equivalent of a knighthood for everything he has done for Malaysia and South East Asia.

He's done that before in other sports (F1) I don't know why he feels the need to act like a fan rather than a businessman, I get why he bough QPR from Bernie (get dat extra love (money) in F1) but at the end of the day he talks a lot of smack, hypes up fake crap and him leaving will result to QPR going through tougher years than they'd have without him.

At least they'd have gone to the championship with dignity and not with that much money being paid per week.

Lightning

Banned
No, I think what he's saying is that he put out a team filled with international players and talents, who absolutely blew it. By all rights, at any other club in any other situation, a club with those calibre of players should be breaking into the top 10 in the Premier League. So he gave them the chance, because they told him they were good enough, but they've just proven that they're not. Sure they lost, and sure Harry had his suspicions that they wouldn't play very well, but I bet he didn't think that they would play so abysmally.
He says this

"It answers questions - not for me because I already knew the answer"

This clearly shows he sent out a team who he knew weren't good enough. They should be good enough, but for whatever reason whether it be commitment/fitness, they were not good enough and he admitted to knowing they were not good enough but did it anyway to save other players or to make a point to someone.

Randdalf

He says this

"It answers questions - not for me because I already knew the answer"

This clearly shows he sent out a team who he knew weren't good enough. They should be good enough, but for whatever reason whether it be commitment/fitness, they were not good enough and he admitted to knowing they were not good enough but did it anyway to save other players or to make a point to someone.

I think he would have come to the same conclusion if they struggled to win or were taken to a replay. The fact that they lost so heavily just compounds it.

Lightning

Banned
I think he would have come to the same conclusion if they struggled to win or were taken to a replay. The fact that they lost so heavily just compounds it.
I think he should have chosen his words better and should never have gone public with such condemnation. It's understandable being upset with players after such a loss but sometimes Harry needs to learn to shut the fuck up.

He may need those players in the coming weeks. What motivation have they got to try and perform for him now? He's completely deflated them.

Wes

venison crêpe
Warnock and Hutton look like they're leaving at last. Hopefully permanently but even with 80k off the wage bill for 6 months should at least open up the opportunity for bringing one guy in.

Bo-Locks

Businessman buying and fucking with football clubs is the worst thing to happen to English football for a long time, and ironically it's only happened because of the Premier League's success overseas. Football (like any sport) should be a zero sum game. None of the money made from a football club should be syphoned off outside. If that's the aim, well, there is very little money to make out of football clubs in the first place. The scumbag Glazers are just about going to do it with some brand of black magic yet unknown to fans at Manchester United. Millionaires/billionaires should not be able to buy clubs and mess around with them to further their own image/ego because it's morally wrong and unfair and has the huge potential to backfire and damage the club itself and the entire structure of the league. There are many examples of this and plenty of other reasons, too.

There really is no good reason for anybody to own 51% of a football club. Someone is always going to get fucked in the end. It's unsustainable. Let alone allowing fucking leveraged buyouts. Football clubs really shouldn't be treated as corporations. The German model is the best. No outside investor can hold more than 49% of a football club and 51% of the voting rights remain with the club's members.

I'm all for wanting the best for the Premier league and securing growth, but it can stand on it's own two legs just fine. If it's so awash with money from TV rights, then what's the point in increasing the influx of cash through dodgy owners? Because an owner of a football club (if it isn't a supporters trust/whatever) is an inherently dodgy character to me.

And Spain have some fucked up ways of dealing with things too. Their broke government just bought out Valencia, including their debt. In what way would that be feasible in England? Not a chance. And their broke football clubs owe hundreds of millions in taxes to the broke government, which will probably never be payed.

I have family and friends in the airline industry (he came to my sister's wedding for god's sake) and I can personally say that he is a fucking scumbag.

The only reason why some people worship him is because of good PR. And Air Asia? This happened:

So yeah, even Air Asia which used to be alright, is doing shit. He has done some appalling things that has made many people in Malaysia turn against him. Why do you think Air Asia has a new CEO and he has set up a new place in Indonesia?

Good luck QPR. You deserve better.

Lightning

Banned
I don't want us to sign Diame... I don't feel he's good enough. I wouldn't mind Benteke from Villa though who could come cheap should Villa be relegated. Since I like Villa fans I don't want this to happen but I admire Benteke.

Salvadora

I don't want us to sign Diame... I don't feel he's good enough. I wouldn't mind Benteke from Villa though who could come cheap should Villa be relegated. Since I like Villa fans I don't want this to happen but I admire Benteke.

He has spoken well of Arsenal in the past so it could work.

Lightning

Banned
He has spoken of Arsenal in the past so it could work.
Benteke would be a great addition for us. Not too expensive and he would be a very good player for us. I really want him to help Villa stay up though and for us to pay a proper fee not do one of our shifty deals to take advantage of Villa's woes.

But Benteke should come. He'll fit in and he is so open about being an Arsenal fan and Wenger likes him. All the pieces match for him to do great with us.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
There seems to be a shortage of South Americans in the Epl. Do the scouts only go to Africa. I think Jackson Martinez could be good for Arsenal

Salvadora

Benteke would be a great addition for us. Not too expensive and he would be a very good player for us. I really want him to help Villa stay up though and for us to pay a proper fee not do one of our shifty deals to take advantage of Villa's woes.

But Benteke should come. He'll fit in and he is so open about being an Arsenal fan and Wenger likes him. All the pieces match for him to do great with us.
We'll be getting rid of Bendtner/Chamakh/Park so there will be room. Hopefully lots of it.
There seems to be a shortage of South Americans in the Epl. Do the scouts only go to Africa. I think Jackson Martinez could be good for Arsenal

Isn't the problem the high fees/Work permits?

I like Diame, he has lots of energy and is a good ball-winner, which is exactly what we need in midfield.

Also, I hear that Joel Campbell guy is pretty good, isn't he Costa Rican?

jtb

Banned
Diame might not be good enough (but then again, looking at a lot of our players... a lot of them aren't necessarily "good enough" either) but he'd be a great depth signing, and he'd come cheap. He's got a simple job; get the ball back. Someone's got to do it, and, from what I've seen of him, he does it well enough and probably better than anyone we currently have anyways. It's a no brainer, which is exactly why Wenger won't pull the trigger.

arkon

There's a few in teams like Chelsea, Man United and Man City. Suarez and Coates at Liverpool (maybe more). Wigan seem to be the other team that look into South American players.

Lightning

Banned
Diame might not be good enough (but then again, looking at a lot of our players... a lot of them aren't necessarily "good enough" either) but he'd be a great depth signing, and he'd come cheap. He's got a simple job; get the ball back. Someone's got to do it, and, from what I've seen of him, he does it well enough and probably better than anyone we currently have anyways. It's a no brainer, which is exactly why Wenger won't pull the trigger.
Squad players should not be the goal though because if Diame is purchased it will cancel out us getting a proper DM and even though Arteta is returning and I love his performances he is 30-31 and can't play every game. I think we should be aiming for higher quality than Diame. Diame would be a Song replacement now I don't like this tradeoff at all, Song was a much better player. We need a better player than Song to come in and Diaime does not qualify.

Give your view on Benteke? He's awesome.

pulga

Banned
Fuck, we lost :(

Players woke up too late 20 mins before the ref blew the whistle. Can't say I'm surprised, they've been lazy fucks throughout the cup.

Squad players should not be the goal though because if Diame is purchased it will cancel out us getting a proper DM and even though Arteta is returning and I love his performances he is 30-31 and can't play every game. I think we should be aiming for higher quality than Diame. Daime would be a Song replacement now I don't like this tradeoff at all, Song was a much better player. We need a better player than Song to come in and Daime does not qualify.

We don't need a player like Song. Song wasn't really a DM anyway. Song was more like a box to box player.

jtb

Banned
Squad players should not be the goal though because if Diame is purchased it will cancel out us getting a proper DM and even though Arteta is returning and I love his performances he is 30-31 and can't play every game. I think we should be aiming for higher quality than Diame. Daime would be a Song replacement now I don't like this tradeoff at all, Song was a much better player. We need a better player than Song to come in and Daime does not qualify.

Maybe. we'll see... as it is, we have almost a double pivot with Diaby/Jack/whoever's fit and Arteta... given Diaby is made of glass and I'd rather see Wilshere pushed up into the 10 role, I think it makes sense to have some kind of cover for either position. Still, I agree that we really need a top central midfielder, one who can tackle. Basically the Vieira (or, hell, even Flamini!) replacement that never was. Selling Song without replacing him, even with a shittier player, was still a ridiculously poor call.

I think Benteke is a good player with lots of potential, but to be honest, I think the forward line is pretty solid. If Villa go down and he's available on the cheap? Sure, let's pick him up. He could do a great job for us. Still, I really like Giroud as a player, I think Podolski is a far better backup than Chamakh/Bentner ever were, and I guess Walcott is here to stay. That's already three decent, if not great, strikers. If we were to add another, I'd want them to be top top quality (Falcao, Cavani, maybe Jovetic basically) because I think we have quite a bit of depth as is. I'd much rather focus on bringing in a top quality midfielder; whether a DM or a winger.

I have to imagine Wenger will buy a winger (or convert one....) this summer since we'll be one short with Walcott playing up front but who knows.

Top Bottom