• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT12| Kicked the Ballboy Like Stan Hit Ulrika

American Football is just so, so different from actual football. They're about as dissimilar as team pitch-sports get. One has been created on the notion of constant play, flowing tactics and simplicity. The other based on short bursts of play, long breaks, precise tactics and stat-obsessed lunacy, wrapped up in bizarre glitz and glamour to stop people from realising what a pile of shite it is.

7,000 posts in the OT :O

Nesotenso

American Football is just so, so different from actual football. They're about as dissimilar as team pitch-sports get. One has been created on the notion of constant play, flowing tactics and simplicity. The other based on short bursts of play, long breaks, precise tactics and stat-obsessed lunacy, wrapped up in bizarre glitz and glamour to stop people from realising what a pile of shite it is.

7,000 posts in the OT :O

such a stupid post

Meet Hitcher

sturridge-dance.gif

Sturridge>Tom Brady

no, i am just gonna guess you don't watch the sport a lot.

I've seen enough of it to know that the very fabric of both sports are remarkably contrary to one-another

Which of these points do you disagree with?

Football:

Near constant play, instant restarts
Flowing tactics, player freedom

American football:

Stop start
Short bursts of play, long breaks between (relative to soccerball)
Focused play-by-play tactics, each player has a very specific role
Stat-obsessed

I've seen enough of it to know that the very fabric of both sports are remarkably contrary to one-another

Football:

American football:

Stop start
Stat-obsessed

I think football has become MUCH more stat obsessed in the past few years, Andy Gray really kicked it off with his gadgets.

Also football is stop start if you play Stoke.

Nesotenso

Football:

American football:

Stop start
Stat-obsessed

yes it is different. but i fail to see how the nature of it makes people who love it delusional and duped into thinking it is not shite.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, can't really argue football isn't stat obsessed nowadays. It of course is a simpler, more skilful game than its American counterpart. I just can't get into it or rugby at all.

In fact there's only four sports I can watch; football, tennis, boxing and F1.

Watching House of Cards right now. Gorgeous looking, but Spacey's accent is weird and the script isn't great. Heavy on animal metaphors and spelling things out a tad, a little blunt.

I think football has become MUCH more stat obsessed in the past few years, Andy Gray really kicked it off with his gadgets.

Also football is stop start if you play Stoke.

Good point. And while stats are creeping more and more into football, its nowhere near as prevalent as it is in American football I think. Seems like whenever a player does anything in the NFL, some relavent stat is bought up :p

Question for the American football guys: Do stats reliably inform you of a player's quality, or is it like football where there's a lot of wriggle-room for that kind of thing? For example, will a good quarterback always have a high number of whatever you guys call assists?

Sloosha

Yeah, can't really argue football isn't stat obsessed nowadays. It of course is a simpler, more skilful game than its American counterpart. I just can't get into it or rugby at all.

In fact there's only four sports I can watch; football, tennis, boxing and F1.

Watching House of Cards right now. Gorgeous looking, but Spacey's accent is weird and the script isn't great. Heavy on animal metaphors and spelling things out a tad, a little blunt.

Pretty much the impression I got from the little I watched yesterday. Will finish the episode later.

Wilbur

Banned
Good point. And while stats are creeping more and more into football, its nowhere near as prevalent as it is in American football I think. Seems like whenever a player does anything in the NFL, some relavent stat is bought up :p

Question for the American football guys: Do stats reliably inform you of a player's quality, or is it like football where there's a lot of wriggle-room for that kind of thing? For example, will a good quarterback always have a high number of whatever you guys calls assists?

Was saying earlier about misleading stats in football to bro. Podolski and Giroud have good numbers for this season but both have been pretty underwhelming overall.

Was saying earlier about misleading stats in football to bro. Podolski and Giroud have good numbers for this season but both have been pretty underwhelming overall.

I always think of Glen Johnson for stats. He doesn't have many goals or assists, but he's still the joint-second-best fullback in attack in the league imo. (Just behind Baines, and level with Walker in case you were wondering :p)

Question for the American football guys: Do stats reliably inform you of a player's quality, or is it like football where there's a lot of wriggle-room for that kind of thing? For example, will a good quarterback always have a high number of whatever you guys call assists?

Stats in any sport can be misleading, NFL does over analyse a lot of different things but with the spare time they have, it can be interesting. I would say football is becoming more stat obsessed lately, especially with fantasy football and fifa. Cant escape youtube videos of fifa now without people showing stats screen and saying they were cheated.

I always think of Glen Johnson for stats. He doesn't have many goals or assists, but he's still the joint-second-best fullback in attack in the league imo. (Just behind Baines, and level with Walker in case you were wondering :p)

Walker has been utter shit all season. Last season I would've put him as top RB in the league. This season he is nowhere near.

Wilbur

Banned

Walker's been guff as fuck all season. I think you meant Patrice 'king of kings' Evra

East Lake

There's a decent amount of wiggle room. You hear it all the time on tv because media personalities have gotten lazy calling the game and use whatever stat they can to fill the airtime.

In terms of providing a constant outlet in attack he's been okay though I thought? And he's been keeping my FPL team alive :p

I think he has a few assists this season but in terms of defendig and general decision making he has been horrible. He rushes things too much and lacks the intelligence that will prevent him from being a top class player.

He is a good player but this season Naughton has been better.

There's a decent amount of wiggle room. You hear it all the time on tv because media personalities have gotten lazy calling the game and use whatever stat they can to fill the airtime.

Welcome to the world of Mark Lawrenson. Why learn a player's name and analyse a piece of play when you can tell everyone how the team have scored 56 goals this season, and rely too much on their main striker, then follow it up with a shite pun?

:p

Are you a football fan? Do you support Liverpool? If so, welcome. If not, fuck off. If you support Man Utd, fuck off you cunt.

:D

Anyone else noticed Gerrard lacing his shots a lot more in the last month or so? Its beautiful

@Messi, if you're fucking with me, I'll track you down and kill you. I'd blow my load if Ronnie plays. Even if its a farewell sub appearance

Top Bottom