• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT13| This title has been fixed

Clydefrog

Juve win

FdnbmWW.jpg

now post a pic of Milan's babes

^ wtf

Gündogan is out for tomorrow, too :(

Schmelzer travels to Ukraine but is doubtful

Don't think we'll win this one, I hope for a 2-1 for Donetsk

I guess Schmelzer is even more important than Gündogan (for the lack of a backup) - if both can't play I hope the offense is at least up to speed so that we can somehow manage a draw..

Blablurn

^ wtf

I guess Schmelzer is even more important than Gündogan (for the lack of a backup) - if both can't play I hope the offense is at least up to speed so that we can somehow manage a draw..

its fucking donezk and they sold their best player. dont worry dortmund gaf. u will kick their asses.

dc89

my brother on the other hand who is not into games, loved it :lol Anyway, have a good time, mate! maybe u will like it.

Thank you very much!

I've just been listening to Keyes and Gray (Viva's favourite btw) and there was an interesting fact on there.

This season is Liverpool's worst season, points wise, in the modern era. I think they defined modern era by the introduction of earning 3 points for a win.

Dibbz

Apparently Brenton Rodgers said that last night was the end of a 'terrific run' for Liverpool. 1 win in 5 games including a loss against Oldham. I love this guy.

Lose a 2 goal lead to Arsenal
Lose a 1 goal lead to City

Doesn't get better than that.

To be fair if Sturridge was playing Liverpool would have probably got a goal yesterday. Shelvey was shit as a replacement.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't even think Rodgers was ever the best candidate around to be honest - he got far too much praise for the job at Swansea, where everyone seemed to forget he was fourth in a line of managers working under a board that instilled a philosophy and way of managing the club. Laudrup's Swansea have looked better than Rodgers' ever did, but it's to be expected because of their evolution as a club, much like how I'm not surprised how they've come on since Jackett was there.

AVB should have been given a chance if you ask me. I might be biased because I want to eat out his arsehole but he's doing a great job with Spurs and had more pedigree than Rodgers.

choodi

Banned
I don't even think Rodgers was ever the best candidate around to be honest - he got far too much praise for the job at Swansea, where everyone seemed to forget he was fourth in a line of managers working under a board that instilled a philosophy and way of managing the club. Laudrup's Swansea have looked better than Rodgers' ever did, but it's to be expected because of their evolution as a club, much like how I'm not surprised how they've come on since Jackett was there.

AVB should have been given a chance if you ask me. I might be biased because I want to eat out his arsehole but he's doing a great job with Spurs and had more pedigree than Rodgers.

I remember being impressed by Swansea's football when Newcastle were in the Championship (2009-10).

Played a very similar style to what they do now, it was very fun to watch. So Rodgers is definitely not the only one to give credit to for their style or performances.

Wilbur

Banned
Small article in the Times has royally pissed me off this morning.

The sarcastic chants of 'wahey' from Manchester United supporters when David De Gea made a routine catch a fortnight ago against Southampton may not have been widespread, but they were audible enough to raise more than a few eyebrows.

...his first match after his stoppage time blunder against Tottenham Hotspur cost United two points...the Spaniard's confidence, already fragile, visibly eroded the moment Southampton took a third minute lead.

Just fuck off and actually watch games instead of extrapolating wank from a minute in the match. Where's that stat that says 10 keepers have made more mistakes than him? Narrative is beginning to fuck me off massively.

I remember being impressed by Swansea's football when Newcastle were in the Championship (2009-10).

Played a very similar style to what they do now, it was very fun to watch. So Rodgers is definitely not the only one to give credit to for their style or performances.

Yeah, exactly. I think it was Paulo Sousa in charge then, might be wrong. But I remember reading the board decided they wanted this attractive possession football philosophy, and hired managers to adhere to that as opposed to someone coming in and enforcing their own style. Kenny Jackett, Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers and Laudrup have all improved the side as time has gone by but I would say that's as much down to savvy work at the top as it is good coaching. Jackett took over with them in League Two I think.

GorillaJu

Laudrup's Swansea doesn't look better than Rodgers' – the football was better last year, but because of some shrewd buys this summer (namely Michu, De Guzman and Hernandez) they're scoring more goals this season. They're a counter attacking outfit with some slick passing but they aren't embarrassing teams by passing them to death like they did last year. Rodgers may have been 4th in line of a good array of managers but he was the one who got them from 8th place in the championship to 9th place in the PL in two seasons.

choodi

Banned
Have to give Rodgers some credit though as having a team play that style successfully in the Championship is one thing, but being able to pull it off in their first season in the Premiership is remarkable.

And they were very impressive last season and so much fun to watch.

Wilbur

Banned
Laudrup's Swansea doesn't look better than Rodgers' – the football was better last year, but because of some shrewd buys this summer (namely Michu, De Guzman and Hernandez) they're scoring more goals this season. They're a counter attacking outfit with some slick passing but they aren't embarrassing teams by passing them to death like they did last year. Rodgers may have been 4th in line of a good array of managers but he was the one who got them from 8th place in the championship to 9th place in the PL in two seasons.

I think they've looked better. Some of the passing was just utterly pointless last year. When Newcastle beat them at the Liberty, they had around 20% possession. What's the point of the passing if they do little with it? Finished 11th in the end, behind WBA and above Norwich on goal difference. It wasn't really passing teams to death in the way Barca does (although you wouldn't expect them to).

Jackett took them from League Two to League One in a few years with an entirely new plan from the board. Then Martinez took them up in his first season in charge and finished 8th in the next. Then Sousa finished 8th and as the club grew, they made more money and made the play-offs.

I'm not saying Rodgers didnt play a part, but year on year the club has improved and for me the largest part of that - as opposed to somewhere like Norwich the last few years where Lambert had certainly been their trump card - was the board having a clear vision for the future.

its fucking donezk and they sold their best player. dont worry dortmund gaf. u will kick their asses.

Shakhtar is a good team and will give Dortmund lots of trouble. And if you watched them play you would know that Fernandinho is a much more important player for them than Willian was.

Salazar

he got far too much praise for the job at Swansea

Yar.

Transfer window could be tough. Dunno how much money will be made available. I presume his scouts will have something to show him. Have to quite ruthlessly size up whether they can cope in a number of positions or whether they would be daft not to strengthen/replace. They can probably assume with relative confidence that the Ince deal is a goer. But beyond that, as far as improving the first 11 goes, his margin for error has narrowed an incredible amount. They can probably expect Sterling to be a more enduring and consistent threat, which'll help a little bit but it's not anywhere near the most crucial aspect of their play.

And nutter fans :lol, although he probably reads Deepak Chopra rather than RAWK

I'll say it until folk get fed up of hearing it, if we want to get top 4 in next couple of years we'll have to go the City route, pay top money. RVP joins us last summer, we're comfortably top 4.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Have to give Rodgers some credit though as having a team play that style successfully in the Championship is one thing, but being able to pull it off in their first season in the Premiership is remarkable.

And they were very impressive last season and so much fun to watch.

I think what's more impressive for Swansea is that they have played the entire season without their two best defenders from last season (Taylor and Caulker). Williams has stepped up, Chico has been a great signing and the young lad at LB has done a fine job as well. You look at Norwich and QPR and you see how hard it is to build a PL standard defense. When they don't have Bassong Norwich have been humped, and QPR rely on the keeper for their clean sheets every week.

Wilbur

Banned
Shakhtar is a good team and will give Dortmund lots of trouble. And if you watched them play you would know that Fernandinho is a much more important player for them than Willian was.

Mhikataryan (or however you spell the fucker's name) has also been really good every time I've seen him in the CL this year.

fuenf

Is there a fan allocation? Don't need to then.
How much are Juve shirts?

Sure, usually each club gets 20K tickets. I'm just trying to be extra careful this time, there's a reasonable chance Bayern will play in the final and with a big club like Bayern the odds of getting a fan ticket arent exactly in your favor (or much better than in the UEFA lottery).

Chances are that the final will be rather interesting regardless of clubs. Worst case scenario would be getting 2 two tickets in the UEFA lottery and Dortmund reaching... nah let's not think about it.

Wilbur

Banned
Yar.

Transfer window could be tough. Dunno how much money will be made available. I presume his scouts will have something to show him. Have to quite ruthlessly size up whether they can cope in a number of positions or whether they would be daft not to strengthen/replace. They can probably assume with relative confidence that the Ince deal is a goer. But beyond that, as far as improving the first 11 goes, his margin for error has narrowed an incredible amount. They can probably expect Sterling to be a more enduring and consistent threat, which'll help a little bit but it's not anywhere near the most crucial aspect of their play.

Deepak Chopra :lol

I think he's placing emphasis in the wrong places at the moment. Their attack is good, as is their midfield; might not have been able to finish a chance last night but that was as down to Foster playing like an octopus on acid as it was to poor conversion. What's the point of having Ince to come on as a barnstorming impact sub when you're already 2-0 down because Agger can't pick up a man at a corner?

They should pay big bucks and go for one or two class defenders. Make a cheeky bid for Subotic or Sakho, make it enough money so that it's actually considered, and forget about the penny pinching youngster strategy when it's not entirely necessary.

I think what's more impressive for Swansea is that they have played the entire season without their two best defenders from last season (Taylor and Caulker). Williams has stepped up, Chico has been a great signing and the young lad at LB has done a fine job as well. You look at Norwich and QPR and you see how hard it is to build a PL standard defense. When they don't have Bassong Norwich have been humped, and QPR rely on the keeper for their clean sheets every week.

Yeah, this. The change in Norwich from last season has been pretty absurd in terms of their playing style; I'm never surprised by them anymore, they don't come out of the traps and attack you or switch formations halfway through the game. Hughton, as relatively solid as he is, is an extraordinarily predictable manager in the way he sets a team up.

GorillaJu

Yeah, exactly. I think it was Paulo Sousa in charge then, might be wrong. But I remember reading the board decided they wanted this attractive possession football philosophy, and hired managers to adhere to that as opposed to someone coming in and enforcing their own style. Kenny Jackett, Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers and Laudrup have all improved the side as time has gone by but I would say that's as much down to savvy work at the top as it is good coaching. Jackett took over with them in League Two I think.

I don't follow this logic 100%. On one hand you say that Rodgers was helped by being brought in specifically because he fit the style of the club, so the transition was smoother and by extension his achievement of taking Swansea to promotion and then 9th in the PL in his first season would be less impressive. But on the other hand you also rush to judge him on his first season at Liverpool where he took over a squad of players who had no clear playing philosophy at all and have been on a steady decline in quality since 08-09. They're definitely "separate" judgments but I feel like the first precludes the second. If Rodgers is considered to be a manager who comes with a real playing philosophy, then he should be given proper time before being judged.

The things I can glean from how we've been under Rodgers is that he's given players who maybe thought they never had to prove themselves a kick up the arse and dragged some really good performances out of them. He's also instilled a good mentality - the team really like him, they like playing for him and they're all fighting for their place.

His comments about a "terrific run of games" is just him keeping expectations tempered. He probably noticed (as everyone else surely has) that the quality of the squad isn't good enough to go into lower table stadiums feeling complacent or upper table teams expecting 3 points. At the end of the season the owners will judge him based on the expectations they had.

We've got the youngest team in the PL. it was never going to be a smooth ride. I'd rather have Rodgers at the helm than AVB (who I like) because I don't think AVB can handle the pressure of the media and fans of a club like Liverpool.

Btw, Caulker was a decent player for Swansea and it was impressive how well he melded so quickly but make no mistake Ashley Williams is the best defender at Swansea and has been since he signed.

WJD

Been taking some creatine recently for the gym and it's turned my arse into a hot mess. Can't remember it ever being so volatile.

Salazar

Dave Goddard ‏@DaveGoddard1971
Buffon's a class act. Asked about the Celtic atmosphere. "It's very British but as far as I can remember no fan ever scored a goal."

<3

James Appell &#8207;@jamesappell
Anzhi director German Tkachenko: "Chris Samba will earn as much at QPR as he did at Anzhi. I think QPR have lost their minds."

:lol

GorillaJu

Yar.

I'd like the Ince deal to go through but the fact that it hasn't yet is dangerous as its important to remember that two clubs make transfers based on Liverpool's scouting: LFC and Tottenham. I wouldn't be surprised if Ince got picked up by them in the summer.

GorillaJu

QPR are so fucked.

How many clubs has Harry ruined financially now?

Didn't Harry say that he had nothing to do with the transfers? I think the only people he went after were a few Tottenham bench players. Don't think he ended up getting them in the end.

choodi

Banned
Been taking some creatine recently for the gym and it's turned my arse into a hot mess. Can't remember it ever being so volatile.

Fucking gym supplements...one of the biggest rorts in the world.

Just eat a good diet appropriate for the amount of lifting you are doing and you will be fine. Use the money you would have spent on that shit and go see a dietician.

choodi

Banned
Didn't Harry say that he had nothing to do with the transfers? I think the only people he went after were a few Tottenham bench players. Don't think he ended up getting them in the end.

He wanted Samba, even though it was clear he would cost a fortune in transfer fees and wages, and Remy was a trademark gazumping by car window Harry.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't follow this logic 100%. On one hand you say that Rodgers was helped by being brought in specifically because he fit the style of the club, so the transition was smoother and by extension his achievement of taking Swansea to promotion and then 9th in the PL in his first season would be less impressive. But on the other hand you also rush to judge him on his first season at Liverpool where he took over a squad of players who had no clear playing philosophy at all and have been on a steady decline in quality since 08-09. They're definitely "separate" judgments but I feel like the first precludes the second. If Rodgers is considered to be a manager who comes with a real playing philosophy, then he should be given proper time before being judged.

The things I can glean from how we've been under Rodgers is that he's given players who maybe thought they never had to prove themselves a kick up the arse and dragged some really good performances out of them. He's also instilled a good mentality - the team really like him, they like playing for him and they're all fighting for their place.

His comments about a "terrific run of games" is just him keeping expectations tempered. He probably noticed (as everyone else surely has) that the quality of the squad isn't good enough to go into lower table stadiums feeling complacent or upper table teams expecting 3 points. At the end of the season the owners will judge him based on the expectations they had.

We've got the youngest team in the PL. it was never going to be a smooth ride. I'd rather have Rodgers at the helm than AVB (who I like) because I don't think AVB can handle the pressure of the media and fans of a club like Liverpool.

Btw, Caulker was a decent player for Swansea and it was impressive how well he melded so quickly but make no mistake Ashley Williams is the best defender at Swansea and has been since he signed.

Just wrote out a whole post to this and lost it, really can't be fucked to do it again :lol, FUCK I was long.

Basically the gist of it was that I do think he should be given time - I think he should get at least another two seasons - but I wonder if in planning for the long term the Liverpool owners have gone for flavour of the month a tad. He's got a lot of admirable qualities but I just wonder if he's a winner.

Ferguson - admittedly a special case - had broken up the Old Firm and won a European trophy by the time he'd gone to United. Other young managers, Mourinho and AVB, had won domestically and continentally. I really like it there's a young British manager at a top club, but I'm just a little wary that he talks a better game than he's actually shown so far.

choodi

Banned
A lot of what Liverpool have done recently has reeked of knee jerk reactions and jumping the gun. edit: Wilbury mentioned flavour of the month, which is a better description

Hiring Hodgson
Firing Hodgson
Hiring Kenny
Andy Carroll - 35 million pounds!
Paying a fortune for Downing and Henderson
Firing Kenny

Not sure if we can add hiring Rodgers to that list yet, but they certainly need to get more savvy if they have any hope of reclaiming past glories.

GorillaJu

On the flipside everything done in the boardroom since firing Dalglish has been very metered and restrained. They spent quite a long time in the very heavily reported search for a new manager, they didn't splash a huge sum of money for any individual player, and they got all of our best players tied down to new contracts, while letting go all of the deadwood.

choodi

Banned
On the flipside everything done in the boardroom since firing Dalglish has been very metered and restrained. They spent quite a long time in the very heavily reported search for a new manager, they didn't splash a huge sum of money for any individual player, and they got all of our best players tied down to new contracts, while letting go all of the deadwood.

There are actually a great number of parallels between what is happening at Liverpool and Newcastle.

Time frames are very different, but the period of panic and irresponsible business dealings followed by a more commonsense approach is similar.

Salazar

Paying a fortune for Downing and Henderson

Downing's the one. Liverpool don't thunder into the box to get on the end of stuff. They barely did even when Big Andy was there.

Remove that scenario from Downing's potential and it just seems so hard to care about him.

choodi

Banned

Deadwood...Fucking great show!

Top Bottom