• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT13| This title has been fixed

Into

I am surprised that the manager of Celtic is not aware of the fact that refs in UEFA competitions ref the same way they do i continental Europe? This has been established for decades, an ongoing debate has even been happening how British teams need to adapt and it can be difficult for as long as i can remember

It is not fair, but the manager of the biggest club in Scotland should surely know all this?

In the interview he just did, he seemed to be taken off guard, either he knows but is feigning ignorance or genuinely did not know

LegoArmo

Celtic played well, and created enough chances, that on another night, could have led to a couple of goals. Juventus scored on the counter, and off 2 defensive mistakes from a tired player just back from Africa. So Lennon made a mistake there, but maybe a gamble he had to take.

It's an achievement for the team to get this far, and it seems like Conte got his tactics spot on. Set pieces are a big part of Celtic's game, and Juventus found a way to deal with them, even it if was on the edge of illegal play. It's hard to get a run on a player with his hands around your waist, or shoulders.

Anyway, congratulations Juventus, a classic Italian performance.

Clegg

lol, why are you so salty today? How do you even quantify whatever youre saying? And you're basing it on this performance today? At least wait until we have all our starters back.

Madrid will trash you fools tomorrow.

err yes? It's what I wrote.

Juve really weren't that good in the first imo and a better team would have punished their laxness.

Tomorrow isn't what we're talking about either.

Korez

600px-Juventusstemma.png

THANKS MATRI, THANKS PRINCIPINO, THANKS VUCINIC, THANKS GUYS.

Charles

We attacked for 60 minutes and didn't score, creating only one clear chance...better blame the ref!

The first half was a blatant rugby performance by Celtic, all we did in the second half was fight fire with fire.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
First of all, Anzhi are most definitely not my boys. Secondly, Shakhtar will be perfectly fine without Willian. Losing say, Fernandinho would have been a much bigger loss. Taison will be fine as a Willian replacement.

I know. Are Anzhi Zenit's biggest rivals? Or is that Spartak?

How do you say the second part of Anzhi's name? Russian is difficult

Clegg

A better side than Celtic wouldn't have used 85% of their energy in the first half. Then again, it was what they had to do. It didn't work. Case closed.

A better team would have scored a couple though.

You're being a bit dismissive of that first half performance though. Juve weren't that impressive I feel.

Into

Oh

Anelka has now matched Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s record of playing in the Champions League with six different clubs.

I know Anelka has been everywhere, but i forgot just how many clubs Ibra has really been at.

Wes

venison crêpe
We attacked for 60 minutes and didn't score, creating only one clear chance...better blame the ref!

The first half was a blatant rugby performance by Celtic, all we did in the second half was fight fire with fire.

Are you sure you weren't actually watching a rugby match? The hooped team in this football match were angels compared to the Foxconn defenders of Juve.

It's interesting Juve fans think that was a rugby performance. Genuinely interesting. Cos I thought Celtic played a very fair match...contrasting styles I guess.

lol, why are you so salty today? How do you even quantify whatever youre saying? And you're basing it on this performance today? At least wait until we have all our starters back.

Madrid will trash you fools tomorrow.

If Juve play Madrid who do you root for?

Arnie

It's interesting Juve fans think that was a rugby performance. Genuinely interesting. Cos I thought Celtic played a very fair match...contrasting styles I guess.
Watched the first half and I'd agree. That Scott Brown tackle on Pirlo epitomised it for me. Not surprised to hear the final score though, Celtic were never going to maintain that intensity.

Valiant effort.

Clegg

Madrid will beat us tomorrow I think.

We've tightened our defence in recent weeks but I can't see us keeping Madrid goalless the entire game. I'm especially worried about Evra. He's better than last season but he still gets beaten by wingers far too easily.

If we can score tomorrow and keep Madrid from scoring many(none would be preferable) then we have a great chance of qualifying in the home leg.

Zabojnik

A better team would have scored a couple though.

You're being a bit dismissive of that first half performance though. Juve weren't that impressive I feel.

Better teams don't usually press like the world's about to end for 45mins, because they know they have to pace themselves and can compensate with technique. Don't get me wrong, I think Celtic had a fantastic 45mins, I'm not trying to diminish them. We had no room to breath in the first half and I'm pretty sure even better teams than us would've suffered against a XI that plays like that. And did, apparently.

It certainy wasn't our greatest performance, but it's one match and there's the return match to consider. I'm confident we can play better, which I think we've already shown in this CL campaign.

Zabojnik

By 'rugby peformance' I was referring to the intensity of Celtic's playing. It was a fair match from both sides, really. I have no idea why people are calling us out because of some light harassing inside the penalty box on corners. Nothing really happened.

LegoArmo

Aye, every time I saw a Celtic player at a corner, they had their arms by their sides, until they were pulled and pushed around.

Brown went down a bit easy, but you can't just push a player over in the box.

FootballFan

By 'rugby peformance' I was reffering to the intensity of Celtic's playing. It was a fair match from both sides, really. I have no idea why people are calling us out because of some light harassing inside the penalty box on corners. Nothing really happened.

If I was one of those people I'd like to make it clear I was kidding lol.

I just feel Juve deserve some ganging up on in GAF like every other big/MASSIVE club does.

Dortmund too.

Lichtsteiner was the only asshole on the field I thought.

I also felt bad for Celtic, Ambrose was making mistakes, otherwise they played well. I like their team/supporters. <3

I know. Are Anzhi Zenit's biggest rivals? Or is that Spartak?

How do you say the second part of Anzhi's name? Russian is difficult

Anzhi is a club that didn't even exist when I was born so they're nobody's rival. Obviously with their new oil money they are a completely different entity and have a chance to win the league/qualify for CL.

Spartak is the most popular team in Russia and yes we do dislike them. When I started following the league, Spartak was in the middle of a 9 league titles in 10 seasons run. But they haven't won shit since.

As for how to pronounce Makhachkala, this is close enough.

Zabojnik

Aye, every time I saw a Celtic player at a corner, they had their arms by their sides, until they were pulled and pushed around.

Brown went down a bit easy, but you can't just push a player over in the box.

You make it sound like Celtic's players were completely absent in this equation.

Top Bottom