• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT13| This title has been fixed

They are. You guys don't watch la liga so it's all good

Madrid have played some dire games this season; overly reliant on their sublime transitional play on the counter and smartly exploited by teams not committing too many players forward. United haven't won against them in Spain before, but this is probably our best chance.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
James is fit for Malaga but probably only for the second leg. Jackson is ready though to keep scoring! Mangala and Otamendi are doing well on defense, last game was a disgrace but mistakes happen sometimes. I trust them :)

I saw that game. I'm sorry but us Colombians are terrible at penalty kicks. I actually felt bad since we could have passed Benfica.

Otamendi is amazing though

I dont think we are gonna struggle in the Midfield against Real as much as we all expect. We normally struggle against teams who have brute force in the center. Real obviously lack that and so i think Carrick and Clevgod can do the job of stopping Ozil and Alonso. Rooney or kagawa's workrate will also be helpful.

As for attacking, I think we can forget attacking from the right wing as both Valencia and Rafael will have their hands full. Valencia has been shit anyways. Our major attacks will come from the left and center with Rooney and Kagawa interchanging duties often with Evra supporting them and they will be up against Arbeloa and Di Maria? The workrate of Clevgod will be crucial along with Carrick who has always been our most important player.

Of course all that goes out the window if Ronaldo decides to go into God mode.

If Alonso picks up, I think he and Ozil will be too intelligent for Cleverly and Carrick tbh. Cleverley and Carrick have a lot of qualities, but Ozil (and Alonso perhaps*) are world class, and Ozil has the mobility and passing ability/touch in tight spaces to escape Carrick even if he's picked up properly in the first instance

*his standard seems to have dropped this season, as he conserves his energy for his return to his beloved Liverpool, to drag us to the title next season

Tc91

I dont think we are gonna struggle in the Midfield against Real as much as we all expect. We normally struggle against teams who have brute force in the center. Real obviously lack that and so i think Carrick and Clevgod can do the job of stopping Ozil and Alonso. Rooney or kagawa's workrate will also be helpful.

As for attacking, I think we can forget attacking from the right wing as both Valencia and Rafael will have their hands full. Valencia has been shit anyways. Our major attacks will come from the left and center with Rooney and Kagawa interchanging duties often with Evra supporting them and they will be up against Arbeloa and Di Maria? The workrate of Clevgod will be crucial along with Carrick who has always been our most important player.

That's why I won't be surprised to see Welbeck start tonight. His energy is fantastic and he always works hard for the team, started all the big matches this season for what he gives the team.

I agree with Sal though about people thinking we bumrush the box with crosses. It's not that easy when Valencia is shit. I wish it was as easy as people make it out to be.

The reason we've scored so many crossed/headed goals is down to RVP and Rooney corners. If were gonna score from a cross in open play it's most likely going to come from Evra down the left.

panty

And that's the sad thing about Real. IF Ronaldo isn't in god mode we might be in trouble. Di Maria is a question mark, he hasn't played exactly well this season so he has to step up tonight. Özil, Khedira and if fit Alonso will most likely do a great job in the midfield and they're always dangerous, Özil especially.

As long as Arbeloa and Coentrao play wisely and don't screw up I think we have a great chance. Ramos is back and that's a huge relief, Varane might join him, Benzema is looking sharper by the day and Diego Lopez ain't bad.

All this doesn't matter though if Ronaldo decides to play godly.

confuziz

Banned
Hide yo kidz cause United will get raped tonight!

2011%5C111%5C2011-04-21T040725Z_01_SVP109_RTRIDSP_0_SOCCER-SPAIN-CUP.jpg

I think we need a dynamic midfielder for Liverpool to get back in the mix. I'm kind of American so I hate our current ownership

We need a lot of things

-Goalkeeper to either replace Reina* or force him to improve
-*A competent second choice goalkeeper needed in this situation
-2 new good, proven centrebacks
-A left back who can be trusted to perform consistently
-Backup in defensive midfield, perhaps to be first choice while Lucas sorts himself out
-A left footed winger
-A veteran striker to come in if Sturridge is injured/rested, and Suarez is needed on the wing or otherwise prevented from playing up front

And that's assuming that Coutinho proves to be good enough on the wing/behind the striker.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
We need a lot of things

-Goalkeeper to either replace Reina* or force him to improve
-*A competent second choice goalkeeper needed in this situation
-2 new good, proven centrebacks
-A left back who can be trusted to perform consistently
-Backup in defensive midfield, perhaps to be first choice while Lucas sorts himself out
-A left footed winger
-A veteran striker to come in if Sturridge is injured/rested, and Suarez is needed on the wing or otherwise prevented from playing up front

And that's assuming that Coutinho proves to be good enough on the wing/behind the striker.

You know if we lose Suárez there are some cheap south americans we can get. It's a terrible thought but I get him

Not the first time he's been accused of infidelity. Normally it's not interesting, but Evra has been vocal about how important his faith is to him, going as far as to claim he bought a home near a church.

Salazar

Not the first time he's been accused of infidelity. Normally it's not interesting, but Evra has been vocal about how important his faith is to him, going as far as to claim he bought a home near a church.

Well, it is tabloid garbage at this stage.

I wouldn't want to excommunicate the lad over a Sun scandal splash.

GorillaJu

United don't struggle with physical beasts – they have Phil Jones, Anderson, Cleverly, Carrick who can all hold their own on that front. They suffer from complacency. They look prepared to absorb pressure but then shit the bed and come out saved by the skin of their scummy yellow teeth. Then they kick into gear, string together a few incisive passes and score on the next run of play.

United fans who think they get bullied by teams who just push and shove are IMO, trying to find an excuse for complacency and poor awareness because in an ideal world, physical bullying is the "wrong" way to play football. They got outplayed by their piss-easy CL group last year and it was because they were caught with their pants down with their little red peckers up their own asses just like City did (and this year as well), not because the opponents bullied them into the grass.

I don't think Ronaldo will be a problem more than Özil. Özil finds space everywhere he goes and intelligent attackers with space around them in the final third are what really put United on their asses, moreso than pace, strength or other specific attributes. Ronaldo may score one or two in this tie but I think Özil will be the one to get credit in the end. That's just my guess though.

Top Bottom