• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT13| This title has been fixed

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
3-1 Spurs now, 90th minute goal.

Good days work form the boys, top of the Elite Group.

Bale is pretty much a one footed Ronaldo :p

He's similar in the way they play but he's not as clinical imo. Also, United dealt with him by doubling up on him. Ronaldo has that happen to him every week yet he still produces the goods. I don't think he'll ever be as good as him. Bale will have to get used to teams man marking him and doubling up on him. He has to use that to help his teammates. I'd compare him more to the likes of Ribery, Reus, Robben(on form).

You forget that Ronaldo used to be very one-footed. Give it time. RVP has shown that even the most one footed of players can improve their weaker foot if they work hard at it.

id8mgbqu1ot2I.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You forget that Ronaldo used to be very one-footed. Give it time. RVP has shown that even the most one footed on players can improve their weaker foot if they work hard at it.

id8mgbqu1ot2I.gif

I would dispute Bale being that one-footed. Of course his left is better but up until December he'd scored more with his right than his left. His crossing on that foot is getting better as well.

K1LLER7

You forget that Ronaldo used to be very one-footed. Give it time. RVP has shown that even the most one footed of players can improve their weaker foot if they work hard at it.

id8mgbqu1ot2I.gif
Dat pace :(

Nani +40m swap Levy pls.

Wish that was the case with Valencia. I see what your saying about Bale, for a winger, if he improves on his weaker foot, which he's seemed to have done this season, he'll be more of a threat and less predictable. He's 23(?) now and has started turning into a match winner. If spurs can keep hold of him and sign a striker who'll also score 25+ goals a season, I could see them pushing for the title very soon. They should stick with AVB too.

Salazar

Or maybe he likes to do the heart shape with his hands while shagging sheep.

Curious how two superficially contradictory stereotypes about the Welsh have thrived:

a) The valleys are full of tarts
b) They all shag animals

If a has any substance, wherefore b ?

Mastadon

Banned
Curious how two superficially contradictory stereotypes about the Welsh have thrived:

a) The valleys are full of tarts
b) They all shag animals

If a has any substance, wherefore b ?

The obvious conclusion is that Welsh women, whilst tarty, are still less attractive than sheep.

Salazar

The obvious conclusion is that Welsh women, whilst tarty, are still less attractive than sheep.

mmm

Manchester United midfielder Anderson claims he has tried to leave the Premier League club 'many times' but the matter is out of his hands.

The Brazil international joined the Red Devils from Porto in 2007 but has failed to establish himself as a regular starter.

When asked if he could return to Portugal, the 24-year-old admitted he wants to leave Old Trafford but he remains under contract.

He told Globo Esporte: "What can I say? I have three more years of contract, I have tried to leave many times and never succeeded to do so."

While he would like to play for the Brazil national team again - his last appearance was back in 2008 - he is focused on the club's second leg against Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League, as well as United's relentless push towards regaining the Premier League crown.

He added: "The national team is always good but we have to think about the second leg and about the English league."

lulz.

I have no idea. I'm sorry if it offends any Welshmen here. :(

Christian Bale will find you.

Then molest you.

Then invite his brother Gareth to take shots at you (in what sense, no one knows).

Also, anyone else think Levy is walking around with a massive smile right now? Like a kid on Ultimate Team with an uber rare card that they can either use to win games or they know they can swap it for whatever they want.

We'll sell Bale for £60m then announce the next day more details on our new stadium.

My first thought on him is that he's faster than CR has ever been while also posessing greater stammina.
And overall, comparing him to CR is not that wrong at all. To me there's basically two winger or wing striker/inverted striker types:

- the smallish, creative, quick, agile tricky types who can also posses a great speed, but don't have to because they don't have to dribble-run into space, but can effectively operate at close quarters (Iniesta, Götze, Ribery)
- the taller, more athletic, speedy types who can also be creative and have great tech. abilities, but also absolutely need space to play effectively (CR, Reus, Bale, Robben ~ lol) and those players also often look like ass when they're not being serviced right because their passing is often only good enough for one-twos and crosses.

It's like a trade-off, those players can rarely be both types combined and if they can (to some extent), then they're mostly used in advanced strikerforward roles.

Overall I'm sure that Bale would be more of an asset to a cohesive team (like Dortmund for instance, hurr durr) because he's a few notches above CR when it comes to defensive work and could also easily work as a WB/FB - which I think he'll become the older he gets.
So if I were a manager I'd decide whom to get based on the team I manage and the tactics I employ.

Who was making fun of Hulk yesterday? LOL

Not me, but despite the goal he was utter wank for most of the match. Such a greedy little dumb ass ruining nearly all attacks with silly long shots that never goes in or just randomly tries to dribble past the whole defense when he got way better options, glad Chelsea didn't get him now especially with his trouble outside the pitch too of being a shit head.

RaGe_pt

Not me, but despite the goal he was utter wank for most of the match. Such a greedy little dumb ass ruining nearly all attacks with silly long shots that never goes in or just randomly tries to dribble past the whole defense when he got way better options, glad Chelsea didn't get him now especially with his trouble outside the pitch too of being a shit head.

I agree he was, for the most part of the match, very bad but those goals are scored a lot by Hulk. That's what he can do, that's what differs him from others. He played here for 4 years and he would decide games in a second like that... And yesterday he was playing far from what he can do. Give him time to adapt to Zenit if ever does and if doesn't, I would welcome him with open arms. He is incredible.

Ronaldo was pretty good with his left foot even early on.

Ronaldo isn't that great a dribbler tbh. I mean he has great feet but he doesn't drift past players.

I do think Ronaldo is better technically though. Bale is 23 now, going to be 24 come the end of the season. When Ronaldo was 23/24 he was on the verge of being/was the world's top player.

Of course players develop at different rates and Ronaldo was in a far better side but I don't think Bale will quite reach the same heights.

The comparison is definitely legit though.

Ronaldo is faster than Bale imo.

They showed Ronaldo's 3rd goal on revista last week where he ran 100m in around 10 seconds. And that was while he had the ball.

I'd say Ronaldo > Walcott > Bale

A lot of players when talking about our squad and their pace seem to not mention Bale as a fast sprinter, I think a lot say Kaboul (beast!) eats up the ground (literally), Walker, Lennon.

Bale is the fastest player in the squad with the ball in control though.

Salazar

Be delighted to shift Ando.

Underwhelming player talking about his commitment to the club in terms of the length of his contract, and saying he has tried to leave numerous times: nope nope nope.

We can do better.

Zabojnik

Walter "I invented 3-5-2" Mazzarri blamed Napoli yesterday's defeat on ... Cavani's birthday. Apprently everybody was thinking about that, fans included, and the atmosphere at San Paolo just wasn't that great.

This man must not be allowed nowhere near a scudetto.

K1LLER7

A lot of players when talking about our squad and their pace seem to not mention Bale as a fast sprinter, I think a lot say Kaboul (beast!) eats up the ground (literally), Walker, Lennon.

Bale is the fastest player in the squad with the ball in control though.
That's surprising really. Took this from daily fail doing a comparison between ronnie and bale.

Both players have a frightening turn of pace, as Bale demonstrated with his second goal on Saturday. Last season, his top speed was measured at 22 miles per hour.
Ronaldo, however, last year ran 96 metres in 10 seconds in a game against Atletico Madrid and his top speed was clocked at a frightening 24.38mph. To put this in a bit of context, Usain Bolt ran his 100 metres world record at 27mph.

Salazar

Step up Mr Bebe.

Hush.

Some pundits have suggested Mancini could face the sack if City, whose Barclays Premier League title defence is faltering, are knocked out of the FA Cup by Leeds this weekend.
Former Manchester City and Leeds defender Danny Mills has even said a successor could be appointed by Thursday if Mancini's last realistic hope of winning silverware is ended.
Mancini, speaking at a press conference to preview the fifth-round tie, said: "We started our project three years ago.
"In three years we are always on the top - we fight for the title, we have won three trophies, we have the chance to win more this year.

"All the people who talk about this don't understand football.
"Because if Manchester City should sack me, the other 20 teams in the Premier League should be without a manager."

Mancini, who succeeded Mark Hughes in December 2009, ended City's 35-year trophy drought by guiding them to FA Cup success in 2011.
He followed that by overseeing a first title win in 44 years last May and then added an additional trophy in the Community Shield.

Yet last weekend's 3-1 loss at struggling Southampton, after which Manchester United extended their lead at top of the table to 12 points, has brought renewed speculation over Mancini's position.

When told he had been criticised by "former City players", Mancini responded by saying they were "probably the players that won a lot of trophies in the history".

looooooooooool

Clegg

If Anderson wants to leave then we should get him out the door pronto. Not sure how many teams would want an unfit,serially injured underachiever though.

GorillaJu

Holy shit, 2 minutes in and I'd seen enough. Amazing given that he has been considered a "flop." Seems like his teammates are letting him down. I was a big fan of his at Spurs -- every time I watched them play he blew me away.. wish City could get him.

"Flop" is used so loosely. He'll probably be used more soon, if not by Mourinho, then the next manager.

If Anderson wants to leave then we should get him out the door pronto. Not sure how many teams would want an unfit,serially injured underachiever though.
Hey now, let's not beat him with the same stick we used to defend him.

If Anderson wants to leave then yes we should probably see if we can make that happen but I have no qualms with him staying. With or without him we need to sign a new CM. I still think he can be decent for us. He's been useful this season.

K1LLER7

QPR

Looking forward to RVP styling on Samba.
They'll be a foreign team in a foreign league. Plus I can't hack watching the championship.

QPR.

Bebe loan inbound, he's a top lad, top top top player who has the potential to be a top player for us and adds to the quality we already have.
You need a striker, sign Bebe. Will be a great buy for spurs. He'll bag 40+ goals in the PL and sell shirts all over the world.

Levy knows what to do....

Tc91

Be delighted to shift Ando.

Underwhelming player talking about his commitment to the club in terms of the length of his contract, and saying he has tried to leave numerous times: nope nope nope.

We can do better.

I laughed at this comment:

ivaldo says February 15, 2013 2:08pm

Wouldn't blame the lad, constantly overlooked by far inferior players, fergie even when to the extent of bringing back scholes and playing him regularly than letting the youngsters have a go, its why pogba left. When he does move on and is given a run in a team, he will show what a class player he is

Good fucking luck to whoever that team may be, because hes consistently injured comes back overweight and can never gain form. 30 million euros seems like a absolute joke for the player we've got.

He hit the heights in 2008 but since then he's been fucked. 5 years of nothing from the guy.

Top Bottom