• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT13| This title has been fixed

Randdalf

My point was I don't expect it to just be a 'classic' FPS ;)

It's blatantly going to be a sci-fi Call of Duty. Bungie's been making the same game for the last 19 years, Activision's been making Call of Duty for nearly a decade. It's got big names attached to it, but I don't think it will be anything more than another competent big budget FPS that claims to be different. Of course they could blow it out the water with some kind of persistent and large scale open world which runs in multiplayer as well, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Wilbur

Banned
Is this some absurd in joke I've missed out on?

Mm, nope. Far too often this season especially he just hasn't imposed himself on a game, or he's driven some real easy chances wide, or he's huffed and puffed around without necessarily doing too much. I can't think of a game where he's won City the points by himself or taken it into his own hands. Happy to be proven wrong but I just can't remember him doing anything notable.

He's a wonderfully talented player but compare him to someone like Suarez or RVP in the same league, or even Mata; where they've just managed to lead their teams to wins through an amalgamation of skill, effort and whatever magic they have. Aguero seems to have all these things but doesn't necessarily marry them together a lot of the time.

bjaelke

Certainly no better than Yesil

AOr1si5.gif

Just me who doesn't think Aguero is amazing?

Like, he's very good. But his finishing isn't superlative, he isn't the strongest dribbler, he sometimes seems on the periphery of games, never really grabs one by the scruff of the neck.

Cue aguerooooooo gifs etc etc, but I dunno. Strikes me as an extremely naturally talented player who doesn't necessarily translate that into impressive performances a lot of the time. Even his goal at Anfield which was praised a fair amount was just hit and hope for me. Runs around and will always put an effort in (which is more than can be said than for the likes of Dzeko/Balotelli) but when he's on the ball I don't get this surge of expectancy like I do with RVP, Suarez, Messi, even Tevez.
Not having a great season but I think he has proven himself to be a really great striker.

He isn't very creative though IMO. His range of passing isn't special and although his dribbling is good it doesn't sent you to panic stations like Suarez. I think people got a little carried away last year but he's still class, very clinical.

I think he'll work out very well (see Mandzukic), probably even better.

But I just wish Gomez got his place back, so having Lewa isn't going to help that.
Is Gomez a fan favourite?

I think he hampers Bayern's play. As much as he scores, I think somebody like Lewandowski would add alot to the team, an extra dimension.

Arnie

Mm, nope. Far too often this season especially he just hasn't imposed himself on a game, or he's driven some real easy chances wide, or he's huffed and puffed around without necessarily doing too much. I can't think of a game where he's won City the points by himself or taken it into his own hands. Happy to be proven wrong but I just can't remember him doing anything notable.

He's a wonderfully talented player but compare him to someone like Suarez or RVP in the same league, or even Mata; where they've just managed to lead their teams to wins through an amalgamation of skill, effort and whatever magic they have. Aguero seems to have all these things but doesn't necessarily marry them together a lot of the time.

I'm still fragile from last night so this is bypassing the part of my brain that knows you're an incorrect cunt.

You win this time.

Fry

Is Gomez a fan favourite?

I think he hampers Bayern's play. As much as he scores, I think somebody like Lewandowski would add alot to the team, an extra dimension.

I believe he was last season, there's no way he couldn't be. Now it's like what he's done... means nothing anymore. He gets on from the bench, manages to score in twenty seconds (I believe he's done that twice this season), and gets almost a goal per match. But when he's not scoring, people criticize him too much.

I'd like to see Gomez starting 10 games in a row to see what he could do again. Then I'd make my mind about Lewa signing.

Wilbur

Banned
Not having a great season but I think he has proven himself to be a really great striker.

He isn't very creative though IMO. His range of passing isn't special and although his dribbling is good it doesn't sent you to panic stations like Suarez. I think people got a little carried away last year but he's still class, very clinical.

I think he's got it in him to be a wonderful striker, but far too often he'll be at the end of a move that Silva has done all the legwork for and claim a fair amount of credit for being this wonderfully talented player despite only half the time being able to put it away; and I don't think he is that clinical. Can remember an awful lot that he's missed. Just a point considering Koko said 20m + Modric for Aguero. Shit feels like an awful deal to me :lol

As for your Gomez point, I argued the very same with Fry last week.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm still fragile from last night so this is bypassing the part of my brain that knows you're an incorrect cunt.

You win this time.

Hahaha <3

Again, very good player but not top tier, not at all. Even tho dc likes to think he's the PL's superstar.

I think he's got it in him to be a wonderful striker, but far too often he'll be at the end of a move that Silva has done all the legwork for and claim a fair amount of credit for being this wonderfully talented player despite only half the time being able to put it away; and I don't think he is that clinical. Can remember an awful lot that he's missed. Just a point considering Koko said 20m + Modric for Aguero. Shit feels like an awful deal to me :lol

Seems like City fans feel the same way. As in they want another striker, Cavani or Falcao. Madness to me, think they've got 3 really really great strikers already and just need to find a way of getting the best out of them. Obv. you wouldn't say no to either of those two but I think they need a winger/forward and central midfielder far more urgently than a striker.

I wouldn't swap Rooney or RVP for any of theirs though. So maybe they could do better.

Like Higuain, Aguero gets a hell of a lot of chances through exceptional instinctive positioning, but he isn't all that great at putting them away when he's not completely on his game.

RVP: 3 good chances, 2 goals
Suarez: 4 good chances, 1 goal
Aguero: 3 good chances, 1 goal
Higuain: 4 good chances 1 goal

RVP and Suarez though are better than Aguero at making theirown chances though, and much better than Higuain at the same

Gambit

So that's what Bayern is like without Martinez now...

Not happy

Oh and to chime in about Gomez again: Yes, Lewa would/will add an extra dimension and probably work really well with Müller (just like Mandzukic does now). But sometimes you want a striker to just score the goals, no pretty play. That's why I want to keep Gomez. As a tactical alternative. Lewa is a better version of Mandzukic, I'd say.

And Gomez is a genuinely likable guy, one of the few that also gives decent interviews. Apparently Hoeneß has pinpointed him as the fall guy for last year's CL final, which I think is not fair. His buddy Heynckes and a couple others come to mind first.

Wilbur

Banned
Seems like City fans feel the same way. As in they want another striker, Cavani or Falcao. Madness to me, think they've got 3 really really great strikers already and just need to find a way of getting the best out of them. Obv. you wouldn't say no to either of those two but I think they need a winger/forward and central midfielder far more urgently than a striker.

I wouldn't swap Rooney or RVP for any of theirs though. So maybe they could do better.

I think Tevez is far and away their best striker; seems to blend Aguero's workrate and skill with Dzeko's presence and finishing, but Sod's law would dictate that their best striker is the biggest cunt ever to walk this earth.

They definitely lack natural width though, and they need an actual central midfielder; they have some good DMs in Barry and Garcia, a great AM in Silva and Toure, who is always this odd one because he's been converted from a defensive midfielder, spent time in the defence and now just bundles his way around the pitch. On his day he's as destructive as anyone but those days aren't often enough.

Biggest problem is still Mancini.

Agreed. Aguero wouldn't start for Newcastle.

Not with Cisse in such form anyway

Like Higuain, Aguero gets a hell of a lot of chances through exceptional instinctive positioning, but he isn't all that great at putting them away when he's not completely on his game.

RVP: 3 good chances, 2 goals
Suarez: 4 good chances, 1 goal
Aguero: 3 good chances, 1 goal
Higuain: 4 good chances 1 goal

RVP and Suarez though are better than Aguero at making theirown chances though, and much better than Higuain at the same

Never rated Higuain especially highly. Like you say he's not the most prolific of finishers, but he never makes much happen himself. For a team as huge as Madrid are to be relying on someone who could be great and someone who will never be more than good is a tad perplexing to me.

Wilbur

Banned
Rooney is probably as good a finisher as RVP.

Yeah, probably. RVP isn't a natural finisher like Chicha if you asked me (the two at the Bernabeu and the one against Everton are recent examples :lol) but he's such a superlative player that he is able to score so many. Rooney's job for the team dictates he won't be in as many scoring positions though. Not too fussed while at least one of them's doing the job.

Yeah, probably. RVP isn't a natural finisher like Chicha if you asked me (the two at the Bernabeu and the one against Everton are recent examples :lol) but he's such a superlative player that he is able to score so many. Rooney's job for the team dictates he won't be in as many scoring positions though. Not too fussed while at least one of them's doing the job.
Hernandez definitely has an instinct within the box which means he somehow/anyhow bundles the ball in.

RVP and Rooney are both very clinical though. I can't be sure with RVP as I haven't watched him as closely...but Rooney has definitely improved his finishing tremendously. He used to be very rash early on.

He's now a lethal finisher, very rarely misses a clear chance. RVP has actually missed 2/3 big opportunities this season. More than made up for it of course.

Rooney's goalscoring is really impressive. The 2 seasons he's actually played up front he has scored 30+ goals. Even this season he's up to 15 I think. He missed a third of the season with injury and has probably spent another third playing wide.

Wilbur

Banned
Fiver going in HAM on B-Rod. I see where they're coming from a tad; there's keeping up spirits and motivating and then there's just saying absolute nonsense that surely even his squad doesn't believe.

It's an odd one because a lot of the time I've watched Liverpool this season they've been extremely competent and always looked on the verge of a breakthrough. Just think Rodgers needs to get his priorities right at times. Say in public his team have been shit and they need to buck up their ideas, put some fear into them. All this relentless positivity is just a tad hollow for me atm:

It is not true that before becoming a popular football manager Brendan Rodgers was a tantalising stand-up comedian, whose best joke went thus: "A man with a slightly disconcerting habit of patting interlocutors on the cheeks while staring them in the eye with a blend of friendly earnestness and deranged confidence walks into a bar and says: 'Hello, I would like an orange juice please and something to take home for my pet'. The barman asks: 'What type of pet do you have?' The man replies to this question."

It's not a very good joke, is it? When all is said and done, it is badly let down by the lack of a punchline. The buildup was fine, you might even go so far as to call it promising, but ultimately you have to conclude that it was a non-gag. A flop. Downright irritating, if you want to be frank. Feel familiar, Liverpool fans?

Liverpool's season and style of play seems sadly bereft of certain crucial components, such as reliability in front of goal, reliability at the back, basic toughness and positive results, all of which means the club are currently three points and two places worse off now than they were at this stage last season and, of course, out of the Cup after being bullied by mighty Oldham Athletic.

Still, the campaign has also had some highs, of course: indeed, at one stage Liverpool were threatening to play so well that Rodgers predicted they could storm up the table and finish in second place – that was right before they lost at home to Aston Villa; and several weeks later they looked so close to getting their act together that Rodgers predicted they could storm up the table and finish fourth – that was just before they lost at home to West Bromwich Albion. Rodgers wisely refrained from declaring Liverpool imminent Euro Vase champions before last night's first leg in St Petersburg but he unwisely opened his mouth afterwards to baffle listeners with talk of "a near-on perfect away performance" after Liverpool were deservedly beaten 2-0 by Zenit.

There is no shame in losing to a team as talented and expensively-assembled as Zenit … unless you then try to convince people who actually saw the match that the loss was some kind of unjust anomaly and that, if we overlook trifles such as appalling finishing, patchy interplay and feeble defending, the losers were moral victors. There is, of course, something even more basic than defending and attacking effectively and even easier to get right: talking.

And yet previous Liverpool managers have failed even on that front: Roy Hodgson alienated the few Anfield regulars who were prepared to cut him some slack when he started babbling about sides such as Wolves and Birmingham being fearsome opponents and Kenny Dalglish lost his messiah status when he began guffing about conspiracies everywhere and trumpeting advertising deals as major honours. After those two flops Liverpool fans have been prepared to give Rodgers time to repair years of neglect and ineptitude, and some even maintain that Rodgers's recruits such as Fabio Borini and Joe Allen will yet prove inspired hires, but it is hard for anyone to be convinced that Rodgers knows what he is doing when he persistently spouts blatant bull.

Hernandez definitely has an instinct within the box which means he somehow/anyhow bundles the ball in.

RVP and Rooney are both very clinical though. I can't be sure with RVP as I haven't watched him as closely...but Rooney has definitely improved his finishing tremendously. He used to be very rash early on.

He's now a lethal finisher, very rarely misses a clear chance. RVP has actually missed 2/3 big opportunities this season. More than made up for it of course.

Rooney's goalscoring is really impressive. The 2 seasons he's actually played up front he has scored 30+ goals. Even this season he's up to 15 I think. He missed a third of the season with injury and has probably spent another third playing wide.

He's at 13 right now.

Wilbur

Banned

Rooney simultaneously gets too much and not enough credit in some quarters. He's obviously always held up as the great white hope in English football and of course he isn't, but a lot of the articles this week centred around his and Ronaldo's respective paths are a bit silly. Yes Ronaldo is the better player but it completely ignores what he's asked to do for the team - or rather what the team are asked to do for him - in comparison for the role Rooney fulfils at United an awful lot of the time.

bjaelke

Doesn't a third of those goals come from penalties (or has that changed)?

Kyoufu

Don't think BRod is a bad manager. His passing style is good.

I just think the Liverpool signings this season have been woeful. Fire their scout, whoever it is.

Oh and I thought it was pretty funny when a Liverpool fan friend of mine on twitter said "Allen is SHITE!" :lol

Top Bottom