• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Any of the top 4 teams in England could legitimately win the CL on a good day. Liverpool and Arsenal, two historically powerful clubs are not even in the top 4 – the competition for a CL spot in the PL is enough of an indicator of the league's quality IMO. That clubs like Chelsea, who have a starting XI every bit as good as Bayern or even Real (Torres aside) can have such huge fluctuations in form speaks more to the pressure that the top English clubs face, not inferiority. City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea all start their seasons with the intention of winning the title. Only two teams do that in Germany, Spain and maybe three in Italy.

Anyway this is my take

The reason Arsenal and Liverpool aren't in the top 4 is because their squads aren't at that level anymore. Though obviously all the big clubs are rebuilding their squads (besides Arsenal....) so the PL will have a resurgence. Every other league in Europe won't be able to cope with the huge new TV deal, that's for sure.

Plus, you can't honestly say with a straight face that Arsenal start their season with the intention of winning the title. But I agree with your point for the most part.

Salazar

Did you actually read my post?

You seem, like elsk, to be the one with a chip on your shoulder about league standards.

Virtually nobody here takes the piss out of the Bundesliga, or even markedly underrates it. It seems weird to manufacture condescension like that.

Noirulus

Bayern knocked the champions-to-be Real Madrid. They are worse off this season and Utd... well, didn't do much against them except for a couple of individual plays by their best and only stand out player.

United better than Bayern. Not when one conceded 31 and the other 7 in their respective leagues.

Oh come the fuck on. You're not giving enough credit to United's defense and their quick counter-attack ability.

FootballFan

Who gives a shit what the best league is? Watch and enjoy whatever the hell you want.

I watch Serie A, La Liga, EPL, and occasionally A-league, Bundesliga, Russian PL, PSG once a month, etc.

Now lets get down to what really matters, who is the bigger cunt, Ronaldo or Messi?

arkon

I disagree. There's a clear difference between form and quality. Real has quality but is in poor form. Same with City and Chelsea. You can't judge on the back of recent results alone. They have largely the same team but Dortmund pipped them to the title two years running – they're on their first *great* year in the last three.

The only teams that have been to as many finals as them in the CL in the last 5-6 seasons are Chelsea, Man Utd and Barcelona. With Bayern that's 2 out of the last 3 finals as well. Okay they didn't win the thing either time.

Wilbur

Banned
Who gives a shit what the best league is? Watch and enjoy whatever the hell you want.

I watch Serie A, La Liga, EPL, and occasionally A-league, Bundesliga, Russian PL, PSG once a month, etc.

Now lets get down to what really matters, who is the bigger cunt, Ronaldo or Messi?

u r quickly bcumin ma fav postah

And yeah, I watch all Prem matches I can, a fair amount of Serie A, and a few La Liga and Bundesliga teams, plus PSG and Porto when they're on.

Noirulus

I heard Messi secretly hates it when his teammates score. What a conniving cunt.

Fry

You seem, like elsk, to be the one with a chip on your shoulder about league standards.

Virtually nobody here takes the piss out of the Bundesliga, or even markedly underrates it.

Am I taking the piss on the Premier League? Again, you're reading half my posts. I said it's the most entertraining most of the times. The quality standard has decreased and it's on the face for seasons. You got knocked out by who again last season?

Look at City. Chelsea... lol.

Oh come the fuck on. You're not giving enough credit to United's defense and their quick counter-attack ability.

United's defence? I mostly saw De Gea keeping their asses in the game, and Van Persie giving them the edge like most of the times.

Some of you guys like to believe in what you think because of the team you support. It's so blatantly obvious.

GorillaJu

The reason Arsenal and Liverpool aren't in the top 4 is because their squads aren't at that level anymore. Though obviously all the big clubs are rebuilding their squads (besides Arsenal....) so the PL will have a resurgence. Every other league in Europe won't be able to cope with the huge new TV deal, that's for sure.

Plus, you can't honestly say with a straight face that Arsenal start their season with the intention of winning the title. But I agree with your point for the most part.

I'd sooner remove Liverpool from my argument than Arsenal. I think Arsenal's problems don't come down to a bad squad. Cazorla, Wilshere, Walcott (don't laugh) are all players you wouldn't be surprised to see lifting a CL trophy. If they had a decent pairing of CBs, they'd be a completely different (better) team. Kosc and Verm have been beyond woeful this season and Merte isn't a solution.

Wilbur

Banned
Am I taking the piss on the Premier League? Again, you're reading half my posts. I said it's the most entertraining most of the times. The quality standard has decreased and it's on the face for seasons. You got knocked out by who again last season?

United's defence? I mostly saw De Gea keeping their asses in the game, and Van Persie giving them the edge like most of the times.

Except Welbeck was the one who scored. And Jones was the one who did the job on Ronaldo.

Might as well say Muller is your only good player.

Also the thing you say about believing what we do because of the team we support... Please tell me you see the irony in that Fry :lol :lol. You're even talking to a Madrid fan for Christs sake

GorillaJu

Some of you guys like to believe in what you think because of the team you support. It's so blatantly obvious.

I'll admit that this is true in my case if you do as well, because you're guilty of exactly this.

Also how can you "lol" at Chels when they beat Bayern last year in the final?!

arkon

Except Welbeck was the one who scored. And Jones was the one who did the job on Ronaldo.

Also the thing you say about believing what we do because of the team we support... Please tell me you see the irony in that Fry :lol :lol. You're even talking to a Madrid fan for Christs sake

You're a one-man team though. Even when Van Persie doesn't score or assist, he's still the one that makes the difference. I thought you'd have realized that by now. You get told it enough times.

Wilbur

Banned
You're a one-man team though. Even when Van Persie doesn't score or assist, he's still the one that makes the difference. I thought you'd have realized that by now. You get told it enough times.

Even when he's on the bench, he is pulling Fergie's strings

Fry

He scored, but he didn't threaten Real Madrid constantly neither had a great game. RvP had two clear chances of scoring, but still they happened late in the match and it was almost everything you guys did all game in addiction to defending all time. Madrid were better, end of.

You United fans always fucking complain about your squad, even if you win matches. YOU don't like the standards of your football. Such hypocrisy when you come and try to tell me otherwise now. If you are the second best team in the world, then god help us, football is dead.

arkon

No matter what you guys say, Barca would win all your leagues. #BestTeam #Cocky #WillBeatMilan4-0

It's not surprising when you have Messi pulling all sorts of shit. Holding players' family hostage in order to get the desired result for Barcelona is downright nasty.

jtb

Banned
I'd sooner remove Liverpool from my argument than Arsenal. I think Arsenal's problems don't come down to a bad squad. Cazorla, Wilshere, Walcott (don't laugh) are all players you wouldn't be surprised to see lifting a CL trophy. If they had a decent pairing of CBs, they'd be a completely different (better) team. Kosc and Verm have been beyond woeful this season and Merte isn't a solution.

Yeah, the squad is unbalanced more than anything. Desperately need a couple of top defenders and a holding midfielder. Still, just two seasons ago, this team had Fabregas, Nasri, Song, and RVP and they haven't been replaced adequately. And that squad finished fourth that season, so it's very clear there's a decline in the quality.

GorillaJu

You need to be more obvious if you're going to be facetious like this because I'd argue that you're at least partially correct here :lol

FootballFan

Well that is just how it is. Believe it or not Madridistas think Khedira is good :lololololol

Wait though, they even reckon Marcelo is a good player hahhaha.

That is just how football fans are.

It's not surprising when you have Messi pulling all sorts of shit. Holding players' family hostage in order to get the desired result for Barcelona is downright nasty.

Don't blame me, blame FIFA for allowing it to continue.

Wilbur

Banned
He scored, but he didn't threaten Real Madrid constantly neither had a great game. RvP had two clear chances of scoring, but still they happened late in the match and it was almost everything you guys did all game in addiction to defending all time. Madrid were better, end of.

You United fans always fucking complain about your squad, even if you win matches. YOU don't like the standards of your football. Such hypocrisy when you come and try to tell me otherwise now. If you are the second best team in the world, then god help us, football is dead.

Jesus fucking Christ you're not even reading my posts :lol

It was a Liverpool fan who said United were second or third. I've said continuously Bayern are. What are you even fucking going on about

jtb

Banned
I don't get why Barcelona fans don't embrace Messi being a cunt. Everyone loves a good villain. Pretending he's some saint is boring and a bit embarrassing, tbh.

AndresON777

shooting blanks

ibxmwjalYy9L8q_zps2e7dca7e.gif

Noirulus

Yes. The same defence that stood strong and pressed when Madrid were hoarding possession. The same defence that didn't allow any holes for through passes and the like.

Wilbur

Banned
You need to be more obvious if you're going to be facetious like this because I'd argue that you're at least partially correct here :lol

I just despise one man team arguments. Hate them. They're absolutely ludicrous. It's like "without van Persie man Utd would be 8th"

Well we'd be playing with 10 men for 90 minutes in every game apparently and assists that other players have got has actually gone down to them having brain spasms and passing into areas with no players. It's such a reductive argument and it fucks me off just as much as basing a teams quality on one match does.

arkon

I actually thought Welbeck did threaten Madrid constantly. They couldn't handle him at times. He also had a great chance for a second goal at the start of the second half.

If RVP had made a difference it would have been tucking those chances away.

Wilbur

Banned
I actually thought Welbeck did threaten Madrid constantly. They couldn't handle him at times. He also had a great chance for a second goal at the start of the second half.

If RVP had made a difference it would have been tucking those chances away.

Odd that he'd point out a good defensive performance as actually meaning we played poorly.

The scars of May

They sting

Forever

arkon

:lol

Don't know how I could have made it more obvious.

Well that is just how it is. Believe it or not Madridistas think Khedira is good :lololololol

Wait though, they even reckon Marcelo is a good player hahhaha.

That is just how football fans are.

Don't blame me, blame FIFA for allowing it to continue.

Messi's got to them too. The dirty bastard.

GorillaJu

Dude the Bayern fans do exactly what you said there in your second paragraph. Every week without fail! I always think "man Bayern must be getting trashed with the way people are talking here" only to see that they're winning 4-0 (not good enough must be 7-0!!) lol

Also Liverpool has won the CL more recently than Bayern. Just to get that out in the open so everyone realizes.

jtb

Banned
I don't know why people are pointing to United's performance at the Bernabeu as a negative. If anything, it proves the squad still has what it takes to win in Europe. It wasn't parking the bus so much as packing midfield, which is exactly how they got to 3 finals in 4 years in the first place.

Dude the Bayern fans do exactly what you said there in your second paragraph. Every week without fail! I always think "man Bayern must be getting trashed with the way people are talking here" only to see that they're winning 4-0 (not good enough must be 7-0!!) lol

Also Liverpool has won the CL more recently than Bayern. Just to get that out in the open so everyone realizes.

damn.

Fry

I think most of the complainers are just trashing Gomez or Robben whenever they come on and kick the ball outside the goal trajectory, really.

arkon

Odd that he'd point out a good defensive performance as actually meaning we played poorly.

The scars of May

They sting

Forever

Yeah. This whole argument has been quite odd tbh.

Also more recently than Real Madrid, who haven't made it to a final since they last won it in 2002 IIRC.

GorillaJu

I just despise one man team arguments. Hate them. They're absolutely ludicrous. It's like "without van Persie man Utd would be 8th"

Well we'd be playing with 10 men for 90 minutes in every game apparently and assists that other players have got has actually gone down to them having brain spasms and passing into areas with no players. It's such a reductive argument and it fucks me off just as much as basing a teams quality on one match does.

Well I hate them too, but there's no questioning that a good portion of United's winning goals came from RVP, either in the build up or the finishing. If you go back two passes before the assist, it's always some brilliant flick on or pass from RVP creating a huge amount of space for the wingers or fullbacks running on. If united didnt have RVP they'd have another top class player in his position. The results wouldn't be hugely different.

jtb

Banned
Can't wait till Bayern draw Barcelona

Barcelona would humiliate Bayern though. (I don't know why I'm saying "though", it'd be fantastic :lol) Bayern have too much pride to play on the counter and they'll try to match Barcelona's possession game and get slaughtered in the process.

FootballFan

I don't get why Barcelona fans don't embrace Messi being a cunt. Everyone loves a good villain. Pretending he's some saint is boring and a bit embarrassing, tbh.

But I can embrace Alves being a cunt because he is.. I can't embrace Adriano, Messi, Iniesta, Puyol, Pep, Villa, Thiago, Tito etc as cunts because they aren't.

Sure they've done cuntish things(yes even Iniesta has), but cunt is for players like Sanchez, Ronaldo, Terry, Pepe, Barton, Coentrao, Evra, Mourinho, Suarez, Arbeloa, Ibra, Marcelo etc

But in the end it doesn't matter, cunts or not, I want the team to win, not to be angels for everyone.

That is how I feel, if you disagree, then it's okay. I won't hate you <3

GorillaJu

Barcelona would humiliate Bayern though. (I don't know why I'm saying "though", it'd be fantastic :lol) Bayern have too much pride to play on the counter and they'll try to match Barcelona's possession game and get slaughtered in the process.

It was funny to see this happen to United (and Real on most occasions that they play). For awhile its "damn look at us go! We can beat these guys they ain't all that!." Then fr the next 60 minutes its "whhhoaaaa fuckkkkkk get in that fucking bus and park it!! Ssshiiiiiiiieeeeeeettttttt"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom