• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
So did Scholes.

In other news, Hiddink is asking the Anzhi brass to start looking for an Eto'o replacement due to his back problems. Falcao/Cavani to Anzhi.

Mm, I don't think he'll go Madrid. If he didn't feel like retiring that strongly, I think he'd want to stay at Bayern. He has a good thing going there.

arkon

I suppose for me, someone like Chris Brown makes god-awful fucking music, like ear shattering cunt music. So I can say "he's shit, and he beats up women!"

But with Polanski I can say "he did this, but he also makes great movies", which is wrong I suppose, its bias on the side of the one I prefer... but I dunno.

That's probably why it works for me. I've very little interest in his movies. So it's just another reason to steer well clear. And he'll always be that guy.

Now Chris Brown. Oh god. I couldn't live without his music.

Fry

Fucking love the bitter tears of Bayern haters. It's delicious.

I'm still amazed by how people still think the PL is the best league in the world. God I miss elsk.

Wilbur

Banned

I'm still amazed by how people still think the PL is the best league in the world. God I miss elsk.

PL being the best league is a different argument than the PL having the best teams. Or would you say La Liga is the best league?

MPW

lol you beat arsenal, calm down

lets see bayern beat juve or barca

Wilbur

Banned
which is the best league in the world then :eek:

He'll say Bundesliga I suppose. They have a number of strong teams, but only two or potentially three that I'd say are really strong teams. La Liga has three, the PL has three, Serie A has one or two (but is a better league than La Liga overall for sure).

For amount of quality teams, I'd say Serie A is the best. For the league with the best teams, La Liga. But the best league? Probably the PL when you factor in entertainment, dramatic moments like the Aguero one people were talking about earlier, etc.

jtb

Banned
He'll say Bundesliga I suppose. They have a number of strong teams, but only two or potentially three that I'd say are really strong teams. La Liga has three, the PL has three, Serie A has one or two (but is a better league than La Liga overall for sure).

For amount of quality teams, I'd say Serie A is the best. For the league with the best teams, La Liga. But the best league? Probably the PL when you factor in entertainment, dramatic moments like the Aguero one people were talking about earlier, etc.

wat. Serie A is dead.

Wilbur

Banned
wat. Serie A is dead.

Nah. They just share the quality more evenly. La Liga has Barcelona and Real Madrid above everyone, then Atletico, then Valencia and Malaga.

Serie A has Juventus a notch or two above everyone, then Milan, Inter, Roma, Napoli, Lazio and Fiorentina around the same level, with Udinese regularly not far behind. That's a fair amount of strong teams as opposed to five or six max in La Liga, six or seven in the PL and probably five or six in the Bundesliga. Just because their strong teams aren't as strong as those in other leagues doesn't mean the quality of the league suffers.

Serie A is my second favourite league by far.

Fry

lol you beat arsenal, calm down

lets see bayern beat juve or barca

I didn't say that entirely because of that, but this:

PL this season against other top 4 leagues

Chelsea 1 - 4 Atletico Madrid LOSS
Tottenham 0 - 0 Lazio DRAW
Man City 2 - 3 Real Madrid LOSS
Man City 1 - 1 Dortmund DRAW
Liverpool 2 - 3 Udinese LOSS
Chelsea 2 - 2 Juventus DRAW
Arsenal 0 - 2 Schalke LOSS
Arsenal 2 - 2 Schalke DRAW
Chelsea 0 - 3 Juventus LOSS
Man City 1 - 1 Real Madrid DRAW
Tottenham 0 - 0 Lazio DRAW
Man City 0 - 1 Dortmund LOSS
Udinese 0 - 1 Liverpool WIN
Real Madrid 1 - 1 Man Utd DRAW
Arsenal 1 - 3 Bayern LOSS

1 win
7 draws
7 losses

6.25% win rate

PL being the best league is a different argument than the PL having the best teams. Or would you say La Liga is the best league?

I don't watch La Liga enough to judge. I agree with what you said, but nevertheless, the decline in quality is clear that of the top teams. I think the PL can be the most entertaining most of the time, but best... best in what?

Noirulus

He is leaving and you guys are going to get Redknapp.

Harry-Redknapp-002.jpg

He won't 'ave to wheel n' deal if he joined us!

But nah, I don't really want him. I hope Mourinho finishes his contract with us. :X

GorillaJu

The PL is the best league in a "greater than the sum of its parts" way.

The only thing the Bundesliga is best in is management of clubs (50+1 rule, financial stability, etc). IMO Bayern is not the best team in the world, not even top 3 (Barça, United, Real). They're in the second tier of teams, along with Dortmund, Chelsea, Juve, Milan, City, etc., clearly above Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Napoli, Schalke, Atletico, etc.

Incoming flames...

Wilbur

Banned
Well out of context this table is pretty damning, but:

Chelsea 1 - 4 Atletico Madrid - poor result
Tottenham 0 - 0 Lazio - disallowed goal for Spurs
Man City 2 - 3 Real Madrid - Madrid are the better team, no doubt
Man City 1 - 1 Dortmund - poor result
Liverpool 2 - 3 Udinese - tad unlucky for Liverpool if I remember correctly
Chelsea 2 - 2 Juventus - fair result and even game
Arsenal 0 - 2 Schalke - tad unlucky for Arsenal if I remember correctly
Arsenal 2 - 2 Schalke - fair result, even game
Chelsea 0 - 3 Juventus - poor result
Man City 1 - 1 Real Madrid - good result
Tottenham 0 - 0 Lazio - disallowed goal for Spurs
Man City 0 - 1 Dortmund - poor result
Udinese 0 - 1 Liverpool - huzzah!
Real Madrid 1 - 1 Man Utd - good result
Arsenal 1 - 3 Bayern - Bayern are the better team

So out of the 7 losses, two were totally expected, two were a little unlucky on the balance of things, and three were bad results - and that's even allowing for calling City losing in Dortmund a bad result as opposed to expected.

Of the seven draws, two of them would have been wins for Spurs if it wasn't down to poor refereeing, United getting a draw at Madrid is a great result, City drawing with Madrid is good, Chelsea drawing with Juve was okay, and Arsenal drawing in Germany was good. Only City's home draw against Dortmund was disappointing.

Results wise it's poor. But I wouldn't argue that necessarily means the strength of the teams are so far below the rest.

jtb

Banned
The one thing that table really drives home is how terrible Mancini is. Once Mancini and Arsenal (sadly) drop out of the Top 4, English teams will start returning to their former dominance, especially if Chelsea and Spurs keep strengthening.

Wilbur

Banned

The only thing the Bundesliga is best in is management of clubs (50+1 rule, financial stability, etc). IMO Bayern is not the best team in the world, not even top 3 (Barça, United, Real). They're in the second tier of teams, along with Dortmund, Chelsea, Juve, Milan, City, etc., clearly above Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Napoli, Schalke, Atletico, etc.

Incoming flames...

I would say we're fourth or fifth, depending on how strong you'd say Juventus are right now, but Bayern are second or third as it stands. You can only judge them on this season really, and they're producing when it matters.

jtb

Banned
Bayern also knocked out Real Madrid last season, though you could argue that was partly because of the idiotic decision for the league to schedule the Classico in between the two CL semis.

arkon

Incoming flames...

I would say it's Barca, Bayern and Real as the top 3, with United in that second tier

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Bayern also knocked out Real Madrid last season, though you could argue that was partly because of the idiotic decision for the league to schedule the Classico in between the two CL semis.
Didn't Bayern have to play the DFB Pokal final in the vicinity of that match too?

GorillaJu

Well out of context this table is pretty damning, but:

So out of the 7 losses, two were totally expected, two were a little unlucky on the balance of things, and three were bad results - and that's even allowing for calling City losing in Dortmund a bad result as opposed to expected.

Of the seven draws, two of them would have been wins for Spurs if it wasn't down to poor refereeing, United getting a draw at Madrid is a great result, City drawing with Madrid is good, Chelsea drawing with Juve was okay, and Arsenal drawing in Germany was good. Only City's home draw against Dortmund was disappointing.

Results wise it's poor. But I wouldn't argue that necessarily means the strength of the teams are so far below the rest.

Any of the top 4 teams in England could legitimately win the CL on a good day. Liverpool and Arsenal, two historically powerful clubs are not even in the top 4 – the competition for a CL spot in the PL is enough of an indicator of the league's quality IMO. That clubs like Chelsea, who have a starting XI every bit as good as Bayern or even Real (Torres aside) can have such huge fluctuations in form speaks more to the pressure that the top English clubs face, not inferiority. City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea all start their seasons with the intention of winning the title. Only two teams do that in Germany, Spain and maybe three in Italy.

Anyway this is my take

Wilbur

Banned

Yeah, I don't think that helped. Both teams are probably as good as each other really, even accounting for Madrid's domestic form. If both played each other at their best it would be a close one.

And that's what I think you have to judge the teams on. City at their very best - something they haven't shown in Europe yet - are a top ten European side for sure. It's all a bit theoretical because you'd argue that they need to be at their best in the CL for that to stand, but I guess you know where I'm coming from.

Salazar

lol at Fry bathing in bitter tears because they rolled over Arsenal - who will probably go down against Villa

nobody in this thread cries as much as you

It should concern you that vanquishing Aaron Ramsey gives you this much of a frisson

Fry

Bayern knocked the champions-to-be Real Madrid. They are worse off this season and Utd... well, didn't do much against them except for a couple of individual plays by their best and only stand out player.

United better than Bayern. Not when one conceded 31 and the other 7 in their respective leagues.

lol at Fry bathing in bitter tears because they rolled over Arsenal

nobody in this thread cries as much as you

It should concern you that vanquishing Aaron Ramsey gives you this much of a frisson

Did you actually read my post?

FootballFan

lYgw2.gif

I don't think there was anyone in this thread being salty after the match was there? Maybe I missed the posts.

Wilbur

Banned
Bayern knocked the champions-to-be Real Madrid. They are worse off this season and Utd... well, didn't do much against them except for a couple of individual plays by their best and only stand out player.

United better than Bayern. Not when one conceded 31 and the other 7 in their respective leagues.

We didnt do much against Madrid? Or Madrid didnt do much against us? Whatever the argument is, saying either team only has one stand out player is a stupid one.

And again you're being relatively reductive. You're ignoring the defensive injuries we've had all season, or the fact we compete with two teams richer than us as opposed to your team being the richest in the league, or that the PL has more competition for the title.

You could argue every one of those points and that would be okay, but just saying blah let in this amount etc is missing the context. Like I say above, I agree that Bayern are second or third right now, but I'm just not as dismissive of other teams/leagues as you can be sometimes.

GorillaJu

I would say we're fourth or fifth, depending on how strong you'd say Juventus are right now, but Bayern are second or third as it stands. You can only judge them on this season really, and they're producing when it matters.

I disagree. There's a clear difference between form and quality. Real has quality but is in poor form. Same with City and Chelsea. You can't judge on the back of recent results alone. They have largely the same team but Dortmund pipped them to the title two years running – they're on their first *great* year in the last three.

Fry

We didnt do much against Madrid? Or Madrid didnt do much against us? Whatever the argument is, saying either team only has one stand out player is a stupid one.

And again you're being relatively reductive. You're ignoring the defensive injuries we've had all season, or the fact we compete with two teams richer than us as opposed to your team being the richest in the league, or that the PL has more competition for the title.

You could argue every one of those points and that would be okay, but just saying blah let in this amount etc is missing the context. Like I say above, I agree that Bayern are second or third right now, but I'm just not as dismissive of other teams/leagues as you can be sometimes.

United isn't better than Bayern. The end.

http://i.imgur.com/lYgw2.gif[IMG]

I don't think there was anyone in this thread being salty after the match was there? Maybe I missed the posts.[/QUOTE]

It's all over this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom