• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Your avatar is awful these days.

NEDVED-DEL-PIERO-0000009629.jpg

But really, that thing hurts my eyes.

Changed it back to Marchisio.
3AQmK.gif

No you shouldn't have won the league in 2008. United were the best team in the league that season. And Chelsea were still better than Arsenal.

You came third that year. Nothing suggests that you should have won in 2008. Third place.

Third.

We finished four points behind United to put it into perspective.

I feel like we should have won it perhaps because it was the first time since Highbury that we produced some consistency and did so playing the best football (imo yet again). It was certainly our best side arguably since 04/05. We messed it up that year with four back to back draws late in the season, allowing Utd to go above us in the league. It was the classic implosion, whereas Utd just kept winning. Before this we probably were favourites in the eyes of many. But if you compare our results with that of United's, they were almost identical beyond that March period where we drew 4 games in a row.

And then of course that Anfield game in Europe with the cruel twist at the end.

jtb

Banned
I feel like we should have won it perhaps because it was the first time since Highbury that we produced some consistency and did so playing the best football (imo yet again). It was certainly our best side arguably since 04/05. We messed it up that year with four back to back draws late in the season, allowing Utd to go above us in the league. It was the classic implosion, whereas Utd just kept winning. Before this we probably were favourites in the eyes of many.

Basically: don't fuck up at with that ridiculous game at Birmingham, don't fuck up in one of the various draws and we win the league. Liverpool CL match refs were terrible. Wenger shouldn't have put out a weakened team in the FA and League cup, etc. Should've, could've, would've, and didn't.

But at the end of the day, not keeping (or, perhaps more importantly replacing) Flamini was a big big mistake. It's not the club's fault Flamini left, since he clearly doesn't deserve the 150k or whatever he was on at Milan. But not replacing him with a quality midfielder? Unforgivable.

Clegg

I feel like we should have won it perhaps because it was the first time since Highbury that we produced some consistency and did so playing the best football (imo yet again). It was certainly our best side arguably since 04/05. We messed it up that year with four back to back draws late in the season, allowing Utd to go above us in the league. It was the classic implosion, whereas Utd just kept winning. Before this we probably were favourites in the eyes of many.

That doesn't make sense though. You think you should have won the league because you were playing good football? So were Chelsea and United.

The league table always accurately reflects the strength of each team. That season Arsenal were third best.

Gawge

31483_10151319792289537_846282668_n.jpg

Egypt are going to win the Championship!

Gedo and Elmo are amazing. Combined with our Irish lads like Meyler, Brady, Quinn etc... we have a great team.

That doesn't make sense though. You think you should have won the league because you were playing good football? So were Chelsea and United.

The league table always accurately reflects the strength of each team. That season Arsenal were third best.

No, no, no. 'Good football' means lots of short passes along the floor and trying to play through the middle, along with lots of possession. 'Good football' does not mean scoring goals, not conceding goals or winning football matches. Get with the fucking times Clegg.

WJD

United should be on the border. Or are we forgetting they spent a shit ton of money too. Inb4 "we earned that money etc etc"

Sometimes I actually think you believe these things and it's not just an elaborate troll. Sometimes I worry for you, dc.

Look at the season closer. We finished four points behind you. We were above you coming into March, but after 4 draws in a row, you overtook us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_Arsenal_F.C._season#Match_results
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_Manchester_United_F.C._season#Premier_League

Before the draws, we were winning consistently and doing so playing better football. We should have won it purely on form. Who would have anticipated drawing to Wigan, Boro, Villa and Birmingham City?

Wilbur

Banned
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/31483_10151319792289537_846282668_n.jpg[/IG]

Gedo and Elmo are amazing. Combined with our Irish lads like Meyler, Brady, Quinn etc... we have a great team.[/QUOTE]

I shall always love Hull for beating Arsenal

I shall always hate Hull for Phil Brown

Wilbur

Banned
Look at the season closer. We finished four points behind you. We were above you coming into March, but after 4 draws in a row, you overtook us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_Arsenal_F.C._season#Match_results
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007–08_Manchester_United_F.C._season#Premier_League

Before the draws, we were winning consistently and doing so playing better football. We should have won it purely on form. Who would have anticipated drawing to Wigan, Boro, Villa and Birmingham City?

... that is why you were third best, because you drew against those teams and finished third.

The CL is a competition where the best team doesn't always win. But a league competition? The team that wins it deserves to. The team that finishes second deserves to. And so on and so forth.

Clegg

So coming into March you were ahead of United in the league. That means absolutely nothing. There were still two months left to play and you came third in the end. You came third because you were third best. The league table doesn't lie.

And obviously your "better football" amounts to nothing when you don't actually win anything.

... that is why you were third best, because you drew against those teams and finished third.

The CL is a competition where the best team doesn't always win. But a league competition? The team that wins it deserves to. The team that finishes second deserves to. And so on and so forth.

I'm not really disputing the end result in that sense. What I'm saying rather is that were it not for those uncharacteristic draws so late on in the season, our form was so good that up til mid March many were probably expecting us to win it, not least the supporters. We didn't just drop points, we handed them out every week for a month. You don't expect that from any team leading the league that late in the season.

Hixx

[IM.G]http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/31483_10151319792289537_846282668_n.jpg[/IMG]

Gedo and Elmo are amazing. Combined with our Irish lads like Meyler, Brady, Quinn etc... we have a great team.

Found their level. Dogshit in the PL.

Salazar

Since he signed for Everton in August 2008, Fellaini has endured a chequered disciplinary record. He was booked 10 times in his first 17 appearances for the club. Only Lee Cattermole (37) and Alex Song (34) have collected more yellow cards than his tally of 33 over the last four years.

‘During my first season (here) I got 12 bookings,’ he said. ‘At the end of it a delegation of referees visited the club to explain why I had got so many yellow cards. But they ended up admitting some of the bookings were unduly harsh. I ask myself why they get given to me.

‘No doubt it’s because I am not someone who can pass by unnoticed. I am tall, and my hairstyle is easily recognised. I know how to give defenders problems. I can see them keeping a special eye on me — they are frightened of me

Utter fucking filth.

Slizz

I have to take an Assurance of Learning exam today at my University lol. An exam since I started taking online courses to ensure that I have been actually learning.... Seems like a bunch of shit and on top of that I have 4 hrs between the exam and my class.

So coming into March you were ahead of United in the league. That means absolutely nothing. There were still two months left to play and you came third in the end. You came third because you were third best. The league table doesn't lie.

And obviously your "better football" amounts to nothing when you don't actually win anything.

Technically we did but finishing third isn't an accurate reflection of the circumstances of that season, especially when finishing third for us last year was 19 points behind the winners. This is what I'm talking about - not who won the league, but rather how we let it slip away. Granted, teams let leads slip away, but Arsenal have rarely been in the situation to lead. For a side to have had so little so success and yet played so consistently, it was an opportunity they really should have grabbed and held onto. In the context of our failings, it was a chance we should have taken and won.

But when you have four points separating three teams, it's hardly worth describing the others as second or third best. How can you quantify the quality of a side based on such a small margin.

Personally I felt we were the best team in England that year. I'm sure Chelsea and Man Utd fans will disagree, but no one is going to debate who ended up being champions or whether they were worthy winners.

Nicktendo86

My god Arsenal got battered last night, I actually predicted 3-1 to Bayern but they cold have won by more. If they are not in the final I will be shocked.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Tuttosport is reporting Juve would sell Lichsteiner to PSG for €15 million
-
Tuttosport is reporting PSG is ready to offer Chiellini a 3 year deal with a €5 million a season salary

Someone is bored today.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

FUCK OFF

Noirulus

lol

Never. Redcafe is full of bozo filth, though. Some of them have sunk so low that they have no right to laugh at RAWK, which is an appalling state to get into.

Random tumblr find

hTv9d5r.jpg

Why the fuck Chelsea and Real Madrid are borderline cases, I dunno

Football is dead.

Wilbur

Banned
So City were 1 goal better in quality than United? Or 60 seconds worth of game time better? Nonsensical.

Well they finished level on points and you would argue that over the course of the season, City's goal difference being better meant they were a better team.

But thats certainly harder to define than an actual two point gap between second and third, which there was that season. Manchester United were better than Arsenal by two points.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Arsenal lost to the eventual champions in April. Deserve my ass, that's three (SIX) points dropped right there.

Must have good statistics for the 2008 season then.

They played silky football in their draws.

jtb

Banned
Well they finished level on points and you would argue that over the course of the season, City's goal difference being better meant they were a better team.

But thats certainly harder to define than an actual two point gap between second and third, which there was that season. Manchester United were better than Arsenal by two points.

Four. But you've got the right idea.

Kyoufu

lol

Never. Redcafe is full of bozo filth, though. Some of them have sunk so low that they have no right to laugh at RAWK, which is an appalling state to get into.

Random tumblr find

hTv9d5r.jpg

Why the fuck Chelsea and Real Madrid are borderline cases, I dunno

Why is Manchester United on the wrong side?

My god Arsenal got battered last night, I actually predicted 3-1 to Bayern but they cold have won by more. If they are not in the final I will be shocked.

We didn't get battered. The scoreline was perhaps predictable to most here but it wasn't really the type of game many would have expected. Bayern didn't exactly dominate - I think a better word would be 'controlled'. Arsenal were woeful enough in the first half to lose again to Blackburn much less Bayern. The only glimpses of quality shown came from Bayern but their two goals didn't come from periods of play where they had us on the back foot or something. It was odd in that sense.

Before they scored their third, we looked more likely to get that next goal such was the improvement in our performance.

Bayern did a job on us. They controlled the game and moved the ball nicely from side to side. The score line was probably more a reflection of the confidence and quality between the two sides so than it was of the actual match.

jtb

Banned
We didn't get battered. The scoreline was perhaps predictable to most here but it wasn't really the type of game many would have expected. Bayern didn't exactly dominate - I think a better word would be 'controlled'. Arsenal were woeful enough in the first half to lose again to Blackburn much less Bayern. The only glimpses of quality shown came from Bayern but their two goals didn't come from periods of play where they had us on the back foot or something. It was odd in that sense.

Before they scored their third, we looked more likely to get that next goal such was the improvement in our performance.

Bayern did a job on us. They controlled the game and moved the ball nicely from side to side. The score line was probably a reflection of the confidence and quality of the two sides more so than it was of the actual match.

Dominate, control, whatever. They scored 3 goals, we scored 1. If we had defenders who could defend corners and bothered to make goal-line clearances, maybe we would have deserved more. But we don't.

Blablurn

Bayern did a job on us. They controlled the game and moved the ball nicely from side to side. The score line was probably more a reflection of the confidence and quality between the two sides so than it was of the actual match.

What striked me the most was, that we didn't even go all out! And Arsenal should have defended better after Robben came on the pitch. It was soooo obvious that we were waiting for the last counter attack. And it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom