• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dominate, control, whatever. They scored 3 goals, we scored 1. If we had defenders who could defend corners and bothered to make goal-line clearances, maybe we would have deserved more. But we don't.

Our defending wasn't what troubled me the most. We effectively started with the same side in the second half, yet it was a completely different team performance. We went forward with purpose and created space - we had players running into their box. We were playing football.

If we had started like that maybe the result would have been different. But then again that's been our story all season, no matter the opposition.

I didnt expect a win last night but I did expect a performance. We got neither for the most part

What striked me the most was, that we didn't even go all out! And Arsenal should have defended better after Robben came on the pitch. It was soooo obvious that we were waiting for the last counter attack. And it happened.

Yeah, Robben's introduction changed the second half. He was left with too much space and looked dangerous whenever he had the ball. I wasn't sure what Bayern's game plan was before that though. I expected them to try and score plenty but I think they were more concerned in not conceding than scoring a third

MPW

253650hp2.jpg

looking forward to gs vs schalke

Salazar

Okay I'll rephrase it. Against stronger opponents, you play hoofball.

Bollocks. Our CBs make a fucking point of elaborately, riskily trying to feed midfield.

Yeah, Robben's introduction changed the second half. He was left with too much space and looked dangerous whenever he had the ball. I wasn't sure what Bayern's game plan was before that though

He should have been clean through for a chance of his own; I can see why he was annoyed that the ball was played late.

Theo down the side, Giroud down the middle.

Optimal use of the resources available to Wenger at the time.

He should have made that change at HT. Theo's inclusion as a forward may have been based on the expectation that Bayern would be adventurous and we'd hit them on the counter. But they defended deeply. Why he didn't make the change even before HT was baffling to me. I hate managers who refuse to make tactical changes before the magical 70th minute

Gawge

Found their level. Dogshit in the PL.

Meyler has been excellent. When he first arrived, I was sceptical, looked a bit of a pretender. However, he has almost been Viera-esque for us, getting forward and scoring goals, whilst tracking all over the pitch. Sure, he lacks the best technical ability, but he makes up for that with work rate. It would be interesting to see how he did in the Premier League, though the way he seems to be able to improve, I think he could still be a decent player.

As for Elmo, I think that he excels as a wing back. He can deliver a great ball, and do great attacking work, but the full attacking threat doesn't have to come from him, and he has others creating space for him to deliver his brilliant crosses.

Wilbur

Banned
He should have made that change at HT. Theo's inclusion as a forward may have been based on the expectation that Bayern would be adventurous and we'd hit them on the counter. But they defended deeply. Why he didn't make the change even before HT was baffling to me. I hate managers who refuse to make tactical changes before the magical 70th minute

I think Theo upfront is a good idea; Alaba can match him for pace, van Buyten can't. Plus you get Cazorla out of the hole and Wilshere into it.

Clegg

]Technically we did but finishing third isn't an accurate reflection of the circumstances of that season[/B], especially when finishing third for us last year was 19 points behind the winners. This is what I'm talking about - not who won the league, but rather how we let it slip away. Granted, teams let leads slip away, but Arsenal have rarely been in the situation to lead. For a side to have had so little so success and yet played so consistently, it was an opportunity they really should have grabbed and held onto. In the context of our failings, it was a chance we should have taken and won.

But when you have four points separating three teams, it's hardly worth describing the others as second or third best. How can you quantify the quality of a side based on such a small margin.

Personally I felt we were the best team in England that year. I'm sure Chelsea and Man Utd fans will disagree, but no one is going to debate who ended up being champions or whether they were worthy winners.

Of course it's an accurate reflection. You finished third over the course of a 38 game season. There can be no arguments with that.

You can't keep talking about how well you played until March and then completely ignore the last two months of the season as if they were an anomaly.

Wilbur

Banned
Meyler has been excellent. When he first arrived, I was sceptical, looked a bit of a pretender. However, he has almost been Viera-esque for us, getting forward and scoring goals, whilst tracking all over the pitch. Sure, he lacks the best technical ability, but he makes up for that with work rate. It would be interesting to see how he did in the Premier League, though the way he seems to be able to improve, I think he could still be a decent player.

As for Elmo, I think that he excels as a wing back. He can deliver a great ball, and do great attacking work, but the full attacking threat doesn't have to come from him, and he has others creating space for him to deliver his brilliant crosses.

Your avatar is lovely by the way.

bud

I think Theo upfront is a good idea; Alaba can match him for pace, van Buyten can't. Plus you get Cazorla out of the hole and Wilshere into it.

this only works in theory, though. when you're playing with clogs, like walcott usually does, then playing someone like him in the middle will amount to very little. and when bayern mostly just lie deep and the spaces become even smaller, then you're essentially playing with ten men.

Wilbur

Banned

There's literally nothing laughable about that whatsoever.

this only works in theory, though. when you're playing with clogs, like walcott usually does, then playing someone like him in the middle will amount to very little. and when bayern mostly just lie deep and the spaces become even smaller, then you're essentially playing with ten men.

But Giroud can't finish to save his fucking life. I think Alaba would take Theo out the game easily.

Suppose it doesn't really matter, you're fucked either way.

Clegg

Every one who plays them in Europe will do the same thing. It's incredibly dull to watch. But I think Barca are still a class or two above anyone else at the moment.

Lol

You talk so much nonsensical shit Meus.

You're deluded if you think you deserved something more than finishing third.

You have the most bizarre opinions.

Every one who plays them in Europe will do the same thing. It's incredibly dull to watch. But I think Barca are still a class or two above anyone else at the moment.

Although they still dominated possession against us in 2010 we did the exact opposite and had players chase them down everywhere on the pitch and put pressure on them all the way up at their own box, causing a few really bad mistakes from Barca and a goal for a 1-1 draw. We really didn't have the team to just sit back though so it might not have been much of a choice, still my most memorable København match.

Salazar

Aye.

He has the pace and quality to cut inside (Zola, the supreme little-man exponent of this), but straightforwardly matched up in the middle, he just has no physical presence and would require Xavi-tier supply to feed him through with satisfactory frequency. And he becomes a link player in the Arsenal self-parodyingly lateral build-up play. Like the good old days when I would howl at my tv for Arsenal to just fucking shoot. Not because I wanted them to score but because the tentativeness was fucking embarrassing.

bud

There's literally nothing laughable about that whatsoever.

But Giroud can't finish to save his fucking life. I think Alaba would take Theo out the game easily.

Suppose it doesn't really matter, you're fucked either way.

but giroud can at least hold the ball whereas walcott immediately tries to go past defenders which usually amount to losing the ball. plus, with giroud you'd actually have someone up front who would be useful when crossing it. theo will never be a central forward.

Jensen

Do one Gill you lying twat.

He's gonna be collecting an almighty payday for himself.
Harsh, United as a business has done very well with Gill as chief executive. Considering who he replaced I think David Gill has done an really good job through a very tough period for the club.

Wilbur

Banned
but giroud can at least hold the ball whereas walcott immediately tries to go past defenders which usually amount to losing the ball. plus, with giroud you'd actually have someone up front who would be useful when crossing it.

but Arsenal don't cross it.

Thing is, I think you decide to put Walcott up against Alaba and he finds himself matched in strength, athleticism, pace.

Sensible thing to do would be for Wenger to actually prove he's a tactician as opposed to being one fifteen years ago, forgo what you'd describe as a defensive midfielder, let Arteta play further up the pitch and play both Giroud and Walcott up front so someone benefits from his flick ons as opposed to being occupied by a full back.

bud

arsenal in '07-'08 are one the finest, most beautiful teams i've ever seen.

fucking middlesbrough.
fucking liverpool in the champions league.

i can just see theo going past twenty five liverpool players and passing it to adebayor who scored. i almost destroyed the coffee table in the living room when that happened. that was magical.

but then

then there was a dive

a most horrendous dive

and then it was over

;_;

You talk so much nonsensical shit Meus.

You're deluded if you think you deserved something more than finishing third.

You have the most bizarre opinions.

It's very simple. If there are a few points separating two or three sides, its perfectly legitimate for fans of either of those sides to feel they deserved more. That feeling doesn't mean therefore the eventual winners themselves were undeserved winners, but rather when there is such a small margin, fans are likely to contest the quality of each other's respected teams.

If you can't understand that or agree with it, then so be it.

I then explained the context as to why I felt Arsenal should have won it that year, and if you cant understand that or agree with it, again, so be it. Personally I don't think I've said anything particularly bizarre or extreme. If you don't like my comments you could just ignore them

pappe

Sensible thing to do would be for Wenger to actually prove he's a tactician as opposed to being one fifteen years ago, forgo what you'd describe as a defensive midfielder, let Arteta play further up the pitch and play both Giroud and Walcott up front so someone benefits from his flick ons as opposed to being occupied by a full back.
Wenger changing his teams formation??? Wake up from your fairy tale land. some things never happen.

GorillaJu

Will definitely buy MGR when I get paid at the end of the month. Saving money is a religion for me now and I must not dip into it. :'-(

Clegg

Being frank.

You don't have an argument that amounts to much more than "Arsenal played pretty football until March, we deserved to win the league."

You've ignored the results after March as being some kind of anomaly and then started espousing some pseudo-psychological babble about the nature of fans.

It's all rubbish. Arsenal finished third because they were third best in the league. It doesn't matter if they were 1 point off second or 10 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom