• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

arkon

Let's not talk about anything in this thread until they have happened then eh?

No formations, no transfer muppetry, no score predictions, no opinions on anything because if it is not a fact, we shouldn't assume, speculate or otherwise predict anything.

Yes, because that's exactly what I said.

I was talking about this specific instance.

Just a few weeks left in the FPL. I'm a point behind Morsel.

Things will get interesting now. Expecting alot of rotation, especially with United/Chelsea in the FA Cup. If United seal the title early on then we will rotate alot too. Then there's all the crazy relegation scramble results.

And the current star in the game, Suarez, is just one booking away from missing 2 games...hmm...

Lego should be safe in 3rd.

dc89

I'm pretty sure he turned you down.

Ok, ok, ok. Help me decide;

Mario-Kart-7-3DS-XL.jpg

CI16_MonsterHunter3Ultimate_3DSBundle_enGB_image600w.png

20120821-073457.jpg

So, black or white?

Clegg

Seems like United fans on the Internet have taken a liking to James McCarthy at Wigan.
The RedCafe thread?

Mc Carthy is a decent player but probably not what we need. He's a very good passer and is defensively disciplined. He wouldn't be a terrible Carrick back-up. Just can't see him at United though. He's a tidy player and we already have one of those in Clev.

The RedCafe thread?

Mc Carthy is a decent player but probably not what we need. He's a very good passer and is defensively disciplined. He wouldn't be a terrible Carrick back-up. Just can't see him at United though. He's a tidy player and we already have one of those in Clev.

Really like McCarthy. If we stay up I'd want us to be in for him if Wigan went down.

Seen him mentioned in a few places, RedCafe, RI, various people on Twitter.

I haven't really taken much notice of him but by all accounts people seem to be impressed.

I don't think anybody is suggesting he would be the solution for us in midfield - but taking the perspective that Scholes is done, Fletcher very well could be and Anderson may be on his way also, we're obv. short in midfield.

We'll be lucky if we get one midfield signing but assuming we do make a more significant one, somebody like McCarthy could be a good complement. Boosts the numbers, he's young, British and apparently versatile and promising. We need some back up for Carrick desperately.

Clegg

Seen him mentioned in a few places, RedCafe, RI, various people on Twitter.

I haven't really taken much notice of him but by all accounts people seem to be impressed.

I don't think anybody is suggesting he would be the solution for us in midfield - but taking the perspective that Scholes is done, Fletcher very well could be and Anderson may be on his way also, we're obv. short in midfield.

We'll be lucky if we get one midfield signing but assuming we do make a more significant one, somebody like McCarthy could be a good complement. Boosts the numbers, he's young, British and apparently versatile and promising. We need some back up for Carrick desperately.

I think he could do a decent job as a deeper lying midfielder. He's not too bad going forward either. He's only 22 so he has a lot of time to develop as a player. I think Liverpool and Arsenal have been tracking him too. United seem to have a good relationship with Wigan too.

And he plays for Ireland. No British blood in him at all.

Apart from his Scottish parents

Wilbur

Banned
I really like McCarthy, been saying it for a season or two now. Can play deep or further forward, good passer, and gets himself about a bit. Reminds me of a Clev-Jones hybrid in play style but not as awful as that will sound to everyone in here :lol

If we could get him for £10m max I'd say go for it.

I think he could do a decent job as a deeper lying midfielder. He's not too bad going forward either. He's only 22 so he has a lot of time to develop as a player. I think Liverpool and Arsenal have been tracking him too.

And he plays for Ireland. No British blood in him at all.

Apart from his Scottish parents
Whoops. I keep forgetting he chose to represent Ireland :p

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing us sign somebody like him but it would be way down on the agenda that's for sure. Not sure how much Wigan would want for him, but you can bet it would edge towards £10m which is too much.

I am worried about Carrick's role in the team though. He's the only one capable of playing with defensive discipline in midfield and also the only one with a top passing range. I suppose we can get away with the latter because we're able to focus our attacks through the wings and we have other capable passers filling in...but the defensive side of things does worry me. Jones the only alternative really.

Carrick going to be a year older and no guarantee his form holds up. Needs to be looked at in the summer. At this point I'd be delighted with 2 CM in the summer and nowt else.

arkon

I really like McCarthy, been saying it for a season or two now. Can play deep or further forward, good passer, and gets himself about a bit. Reminds me of a Clev-Jones hybrid in play style but not as awful as that will sound to everyone in here :lol

If we could get him for £10m max I'd say go for it.

Gets me hard just imagining it. Think of all the gurns!

Wes

venison crêpe
Chelsea are set to make a £7.5million move for Nathaniel Clyne this ­summer.

The Southampton right-back has ­impressed in his first season in the Premier League and the Blues are keen to bring him to Stamford Bridge.

-

Hands off our full backs you cunts.

Why do they want Clyne when then have Aquadefilter?

Clegg

Whoops. I keep forgetting he chose to represent Ireland :p

Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing us sign somebody like him but it would be way down on the agenda that's for sure. Not sure how much Wigan would want for him, but you can bet it would edge towards £10m which is too much.

I am worried about Carrick's role in the team though. He's the only one capable of playing with defensive discipline in midfield and also the only one with a top passing range. I suppose we can get away with the latter because we're able to focus our attacks through the wings and we have other capable passers filling in...but the defensive side of things does worry me. Jones the only alternative really.

Carrick going to be a year older and no guarantee his form holds up. Needs to be looked at in the summer. At this point I'd be delighted with 2 CM in the summer and nowt else.
A player that can fill in for Carrick should be the top priority. But we said that last summer too. Jones can do the defensive role in midfield but he's not a good passer. I wouldn't be happy if we were to continue using him there.

Mc Carthy certainly wouldn't be a bad option. As you've said, we'll be losing Scholes and Fletcher's fitness can't be relied upon. And Mc Carthy is more consistent than Ando too. I wouldn't be unhappy if we signed him. He'd fill a hole we have in the squad. Whether he can continue improving is another question.

Have things gone quiet on the Strootman font now we're looking at Mc Carthy?

A player that can fill in for Carrick should be the top priority. But we said that last summer too. Jones can do the defensive role in midfield but he's not a good passer. I wouldn't be happy if we were to continue using him there.

Mc Carthy certainly wouldn't be a bad option. As you've said, we'll be losing Scholes and Fletcher's fitness can't be relied upon. And Mc Carthy is more consistent than Ando too. I wouldn't be unhappy if we signed him. He'd fill a hole we have in the squad. Whether he can continue improving is another question.

Have things gone quiet on the Strootman font now we're looking at Mc Carthy?
I've not seen anything which suggests McCarthy is a target, just a few fans saying they like the look of him.

Haven't seen any stories about midfielders for a while now, RI been focusing on all the Rooney stuff lately too. Think it's just as we were. Business end of the season now so I guess next we'll hear is when the rumour mill gets going for the summer!

Clegg

I've not seen anything which suggests McCarthy is a target, just a few fans saying they like the look of him.

Haven't seen any stories about midfielders for a while now, RI been focusing on all the Rooney stuff lately too. Think it's just as we were. Business end of the season now so I guess next we'll hear is when the rumour mill gets going for the summer!

Expect links to copious amounts of wingers,strikers and defenders but not one concrete link to a midfielder.

We'll probably start hearing the transfer stories in the next couple of weeks. I think we started hearing about United's interest in Kagawa in April.

Slizz

My friend got passes for the last 2 days of Ultra for me and my 2 other friends..... Shit was insane, can't believe I'm doing it all over again today.

So in the last few days Arsenal tried to snatch Patricio for 10M €. Thank God our useless, and now former, chairman told them to fuck off.

Wes

venison crêpe
I was reading The Guardian's "Premier League run-in: fans' verdict" with regards to each of their relegation predictions:

Reading 20/20
QPR 20/20
Sunderland 12/20
Wigan 4/20
Aston Villa 3/20
Southampton 1/20

And as for current betting market:

Reading 1.06
QPR 1.2
Wigan 2.1
Aston Villa 3
Sunderland 4.5
Southampton 9

Wilbur

Banned
4 points from safety, not won in 7.

Teams below them beginning to find wins.

Would be surprised but it's certainly possible...

I thought it was absurd people thought they were going down until I looked at the table, read that stat and then found out Fletcher was injured. I've been out of the loop a bit the last few days. Yeah they'll probably go down.

Strax

Slovenia 1 - 2 Iceland. Sigurdsson scored. You see, Sviato? We can't even beat goddamn Iceland at home.

EDIT: The "Tragedy at Maribor", holy shit, haha. So sorry, mang. The ref was on our side that night, if I remember correctly.

Well that's not really strange since Iceland has better players then Slovenia in almost every position

Top Bottom