• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

This game is glorious, fucking glorious.

BUT GOD FUCKING DAMN YOU KEN (serious spoiler ahead)
THAT FUCKING LADY COLUMBIA BOSS FIGHT.

NOT ONCE

NOT TWICE

BUT THRICE
AAAAAAAAARGH

Meier

Holy shit! The game last night was an absolute ratings monster! The dream of soccer is alive and well in the US!

Last night’s 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying match between Mexico and the United States – a hard-fought 0-0 tie at the historic Estadio Azteca in Mexico City – was seen by an average 2.385 million viewers, 1.644 million households based on a 1.4 U.S. household rating (1.7 coverage rating), making it the most-watched and highest-rated FIFA World Cup qualifying match (or international friendly) telecast on an ESPN network, according to Nielsen Media.

Viewers for the Mexico-USA match doubled the audience for USA vs. Mexico (Feb. 11, 2009), which set the previous ESPN records for viewership – 1.191 million viewers, 795,000 households, based on a 0.7 household U.S. rating on ESPN2.
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-r...ighest-rated-fifa-world-cup-qualifying-match/

Austin was the number 2 market for the game. :D

Linius

It makes sense. Hypothermia (you're freezing so not enough warmth) and hyperventilate (breathing too fast, too much ventilating)

Those Greek/Latin classes finally paid off.

En als iemand hyperactief is die persoon te actief. Alleen passen wij hypo niet echt toe in onze alledaagse taal. Hooguit medisch.

Learning new things everyday! :p

Meier

Btw, for comparison's sake, 2.4 million people is about how many people tune in for an episode of Breaking Bad or Mad Men. To do that with the late start time is fantastic!

arkon

Btw, for comparison's sake, 2.4 million people is about how many people tune in for an episode of Breaking Bad or Mad Men. To do that with the late start time is fantastic!

Pretty impressive figures. How does that compare to the other big sports in the US though? I guess they pale in comparison?

Meier

Pretty impressive figures. How does that compare to the other big sports in the US though? I guess they pale in comparison?
It compares very favorably to every sport but the NFL which always manages huge numbers. There are weird restrictions in place that prevent media coverage if a game doesn't sell out, but the Miami Heat and Orlando Magic played yesterday too and managed a 1.5 versus the 1.6 for the USAvMEX. Previous high was a 0.7.

Must be because of all the Mexicans living in the US
Definitely helps a ton but this was more than double the WCQs between the teams in 2009. That's insane growth!

This reminds me a little bit of when NeoGAF was attacked by TDKR troll.

Only this time I'm not petrified of reading a spoiler, instead I'm eagerly anticipating it.

Clegg

Why are Mumford and Sons a headline act for Glastonbury?

They'd be a good band for the Other Stage but not the Pyramid.

arkon

It compares very favorably to every sport but the NFL which always manages huge numbers. There are weird restrictions in place that prevent media coverage if a game doesn't sell out, but the Miami Heat and Orlando Magic played yesterday too and managed a 1.5 versus the 1.6 for the USAvMEX. Previous high was a 0.7.

Definitely helps a ton but this was more than double the WCQs between the teams in 2009. That's insane growth!

Ah cool. I thought the figures would be getting dwarfed by the likes of the Baseball and Basketball.

Top Bottom