• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

A SI developer has said that FM pre determines results of games before entering into the match engine.

What the hell.

Source?

I'm fairly certain that if the underlying engine were to do that, SI would perform seppuku before admitting it to the public. I have no reason to believe that guy you retweeted. Bitter players have been claiming that since the game's inception.

rodvik

Source?

I'm fairly certain that if the underlying engine were to do that, SI would perform seppuku before admitting it to the public. I have no reason to believe that guy you retweeted. Bitter players have been claiming that since the game's inception.

All of them, everyone!

Gary-Oldman-Yelling-Everyone-Leon-The-Professional.gif

Paste it, I don't have a login any longer unfortunately.

Since this is the FM 12 forum, can we assume that this issue is from FM 12?

This has come up before but a partial explanation can be given. The game does calcuate what a result will be in advance but takes into account a number of factors before making that decision. Team reputation, match odds, home or away, pre match press conference, player confidence, team talks before the game, players chosen and their attributes, team tactics/instructions, player condition and morale, individual instructions, opposition instructions and possibly some more, which I dont recall at the moment. As the game starts, actions that you take as manager are coded in and the result recalculated on a continual basis, so depending on what you change and when you do it, it can have no positive influence if the die has been cast well before the game starts. Many of the items that influence the result are pre game, so in order to wipe the slate clean whn replaying you need to go back about a week before and then start again as just adjusting the game tactics wont always have too much effect.

Everything that you as a manager do before and during a match can affect how the game pans out, but are not guaranteed to affect the outcome. It is therefore not pointless to watch the game, but it is not definite that whatever you do will affect the outcome. Not worth giving up on the game for this I would have thought but it is your choice.

Suen

A close person to me has become enraged and she's sending me lots of hateful messages, I'm supposed to be "listening" to her but instead I'm writing in footy-gaf, reading football and non-football related news and eating a sandwich :/

Hixx

This train's a ballache.

Ill post my haul:

Preds (will be posted to me next week, either red and black or all black)
Boost (needed a pair of running shoes)
2 pairs of Gazelles (one all black with a hint of gold, one all red)
A random pair of slightly older running shoes that I'm flogging to pay for Bioshock.
An all black originals tracksuit top
Black Adidas t-shirt with logo on

And that phone interview went well enough for them to call me back for the graduate day next month. If I could swoop that job it'd be awesome.

yes bruv

AndresON777

shooting blanks
A close person to me has become enraged and she's sending me lots of hateful messages, I'm supposed to be "listening" to her but instead I'm writing in footy-gaf, reading football and non-football related news and eating a sandwich :/

Send her a cock shot

What I understood was that the game calculates the result in advance. That result is recalculated based on the changes you make. Some changes you make might not positively influence the result as it is partly decided by on a number of factors leading up to the game (i.e. not just your tactics before you press continue).

If true that's piss poor. But that doesn't marry up to my experience of cancelling out of a game to re-try a match at all. I've managed very different results by retrying a game.
Yeah same here. No way was I letting Liverpool beat me in a CL final.

But even so yeah I find that admission to be very weird.

Perhaps I'm not understanding it very well or maybe it was obv. going to be that way but we were just too naive to realise it lol.

Wes

venison crêpe
Oh crap. Rumour going around Rolf Harris has been arrested. Name not confirmed by press but age and location fits.

Yeah same here. No way was I letting Liverpool beat me in a CL final.

But even so yeah I find that admission to be very weird.

Perhaps I'm not understanding it very well or maybe it was obv. going to be that way but we were just too naive to realise it lol.

I get that he says the engine constantly recalculates based on other, new factors, but it's unclear how far that effects the outcome. I think the way to look at it s that a large number of important factors that effect the outcome of a match are set in stone to the point where you can change them but not in time for those changes to effect the match a mere few hours before a game: player form, tactical tendencies, morale, player condition and opposition instructions. Realistically you can't impact on these factors mere hours before a match.

this isn't that big of a deal imo. we always knew that a lot of pregame factors go into deciding the result. he still acknowledges that changes made during the game cause the engine to recalculate the winner. i always kind of intuitively figured it worked like this.

i don't really see what the issue is here. it should only effect cheaters who reload old saves.

Hixx

Oh crap. Rumour going around Rolf Harris has been arrested. Name not confirmed by press but age and location fits.

Similar rumour a month or two back iirc, turned out to be nowt in it.

Hope it's not true this time either. Loved Rolf as a lad.

Timurid

Anyone here getting Total War: Rome II?

I'm so excited. They released more info about the factions a week ago or so. I can't wait to play as my beloved Parthia and lead them to glory!!!!!!!

Wes

venison crêpe

Relay the messages to us and we'll tell you what to reply.

Not really a huge Total War fan. I enjoy the world map stuff, but I'm too stupid to understand how to set up my units correctly in the battlefield.

Planetary Annihilation is what I'm looking forward to. Total Annihilation is the best RTS ever made in my opinion.

Scum

Not really a huge Total War fan. I enjoy the world map stuff, but I'm too stupid to understand how to set up my units correctly in the battlefield.

Planetary Annihilation is what I'm looking forward to. Total Annihilation is the best RTS ever made in my opinion.

i07HqbVBCBDHS.gif

Labadal

I miss football. Didn't care to watch the second qualifier games that were played. I just didn't feel any excitement for any of those games. I need to see Suarez hit someone while he's wearing a Liverpool shirt. Maybe bite someone, get a yellow card or two, dive and win the top scorer award.

Top Bottom