• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

Salazar

Agree with yah. Plus to me it seems that Kagawa's been getting the ball played into him much more since his return from injury.

I hope we continue to understand that it really doesn't hurt to play a quick return pass and make a move. Kagawa, Carrick, and ClevGOD probably do it most, unsurprisingly, and it genuinely does create a bit of uncertainty in the opposition's pressing if you get it right.

We do still need a mean DM. A Karsa Orlong.

kharma45

I don't think Nani lacks in work-rate though, infact I think he works very hard. Tracks back quite alot.

It's his decision making and his overly relaxed approach which is the problem. Valencia has a problem with his mentality too in that he limits himself I think. It's obvious he isn't an amazing talent but he plays in a very regimented way when he could probably try different things.

Him being overly relaxed comes under work rate for me :p he does do a decent job at tracking back to be fair, he surprisingly decent an nicking the ball.

It'll all be sweet when we've Zaha down the right and James Rodriguez down the left.

arkon

I hope we continue to understand that it really doesn't hurt to play a quick return pass and make a move. Kagawa, Carrick, and ClevGOD probably do it most, unsurprisingly, and it genuinely does create a bit of uncertainty in the opposition's pressing if you get it right.

We do still need a mean DM. A Karsa Orlong.

Wanyama maybe?

I might email Fergie and remind him how good Tevez/Rooney/Ronaldo were. Bring back the 4-3-3.
We didn't actually play 433 that much though. It will still 442 mostly with Ronaldo out wide, only with alot of freedom. Tbh, we have played like that quite a few times this season too when Kagawa has started out wide - where he is "meant" to be playing LW but he floats all over the place.

The difference back then was that those 3 players all had the ability/talent to seamlessly play different roles and positions effectively. Our team now is alot more rigid in terms of what players can and can't do. Rooney has dropped off massively in terms of his fluidity since then.

Clegg

The problem with Young and Valencia is that they just aren't that good. Not enough depth to their game so that when they do hit bad form they offer very little. Their general footballing skill isn't that high either, although Valencia isn't too bad, so their touch and passing also becomes lax.

When Nani plays well it's clear how much of an impact a versatile and capable wide player has on the team because he can take people on but also link up very well with other players - something I don't think Young/Valencia do that well.

Well I don't think Valencia can be the sort of versatile wide player that we want. He's actually drifted infield quite a lot this season but he's so reliant on his right foot that he just ends up trying to head back out to the wing again

I don't know what the problem is with Young. Last season he was productive without really playing that well. This season he just isn't doing much of note. In theory he could drift in from the left and use his right foot to shoot/cross. And he does that. He's just shit at it. If he was better United could use him to link up with an attacking central player. But he's not and we suffer because of that imo.

We didn't even need them to be versatile. If they were just playing a bit better we'd see a an improvement in the overall quality of the side. It wouldn't surprise me if we were on the lookout for that kind of versatile attacking player in the summer. Our pursuit of Lucas and Hazard was quite telling.

I thought Nani and Kagawa linked up well in the few times they've actually been on the pitch together. We could do with a few more of those kind of attackers.

Salazar

Wanyama maybe?

Haven't watched enough to be able to say.

Just someone higher up the pitch who does, in a sense, what Viva was praising Vidic for. Ando pulled out of a few tackles yesterday when we were under pressure; we have to keep an eye out for the player who, without being a nutter about it, won't do that.

I simply don't enjoy FootballGAF, very little actual discussion outside of the group of fans of each team discussing their team. Man U fans just talk about Man U with each other, Liverpool fans with Liverpool and so on.

It always seems that whenever a conversation does sort of start one of the fan groups does it's best to steer it back towards their team. Of course, things might have improved since the last few times I looked in, but even those times the football conversations were sparse, and it was mainly pictures of 'Woman of the Week' or 'banter', which I understand might be what you guys want, which is fine, but it's not for me.
I came for the football, but stayed for all the nonsensical banter.

Messi

I came for the football, but stayed for all the nonsensical banter.

tumblr_mhiph8yUuZ1s47g31o1_500.gif

Wilbur

Banned
We didn't actually play 433 that much though. It will still 442 mostly with Ronaldo out wide, only with alot of freedom. Tbh, we have played like that quite a few times this season too when Kagawa has started out wide - where he is "meant" to be playing LW but he floats all over the place.

The difference back then was that those 3 players all had the ability/talent to seamlessly play different roles and positions effectively. Our team now is alot more rigid in terms of what players can and can't do. Rooney has dropped off massively in terms of his fluidity since then.

Oh yeah, well nominally it was a 4-4-2 but you're right that it was fluid as fuck. Kagawa and van Persie seem to indicate a shift in our play a tad though because they drop off, they come out wide, they provide, they get in the box. Kagawa is the key, I'm sure of it.

I don't think its necessarily that Rooney has dropped off, just that he's been asked to play in 4-4-2s or just behind a striker, meaning he doesn't dovetail with players like Ronaldo or Tevez. The fact that the former was such a talent obviously helped because if he went up front, the other two went either side; if he went out wide Rooney would go up front. I just think we don't take advantage of the fact we have players like Kagawa and RVP now that are comfortable anywhere in the final third of the pitch really, but I think SAF has identified that a tad. Kagawa was good in the first half today, was getting into positions and opening them up but the problem was that Young and Valencia are so rigid positionally that we didn't have a Nani/Welbeck/Rooney to make things a tad more interesting

lol united fans talk about football
bet we get moaned at for monopolising conversation
luchador is right
im leaving

Oh yeah, well nominally it was a 4-4-2 but you're right that it was fluid as fuck. Kagawa and van Persie seem to indicate a shift in our play a tad though because they drop off, they come out wide, they provide, they get in the box. Kagawa is the key, I'm sure of it.

I don't think its necessarily that Rooney has dropped off, just that he's been asked to play in 4-4-2s or just behind a striker, meaning he doesn't dovetail with players like Ronaldo or Tevez. The fact that the former was such a talent obviously helped because if he went up front, the other two went either side; if he went out wide Rooney would go up front. I just think we don't take advantage of the fact we have players like Kagawa and RVP now that are comfortable anywhere in the final third of the pitch really, but I think SAF has identified that a tad. Kagawa was good in the first half today, was getting into positions and opening them up but the problem was that Young and Valencia are so rigid positionally that we didn't have a Nani/Welbeck/Rooney to make things a tad more interesting

lol united fans talk about football
bet we get moaned at for monopolising conversation
luchador is right
im leaving
All the Man United talk I see are the formations wankfestivities. I could do with a bit less of that, you know.

Haven't watched enough to be able to say.

Just someone higher up the pitch who does, in a sense, what Viva was praising Vidic for. Ando pulled out of a few tackles yesterday when we were under pressure; we have to keep an eye out for the player who, without being a nutter about it, won't do that.
Noticed that.

Was very disappointing to see. Anderson for his many faults had not done that too often before. Definitely shifted me more to the "dump him" side of things. Cannot have players who aren't going to be committed.

And his passing is still as bad as ever.

CM is a massive problem. Don't know what Froggie is thinking. Carrick is 32 this summer too.

Wilbur

Banned
Personally I think if I could pick a first XI for us, Nani and Kagawa either side of Rooney and Ronaldo would be a stupendous idea on paper. Unpredictable, fast, fluid and no shortage of firepower. But all too often we play it too safe and rely on defensive work from Young/Valencia when the types of Norwich and Reading at home aren't going to pose that much of a challenge that we need that.

I think it might be me in charge this week

League one soon

Don't be silly, there's certainly a fair amount of teams worse than you in the league. Just need to get the odious fuckers at the top out... which is easier said than done.

Personally I think if I could pick a first XI for us, Nani and Kagawa either side of Rooney and Ronaldo would be a stupendous idea on paper. Unpredictable, fast, fluid and no shortage of firepower. But all too often we play it too safe and rely on defensive work from Young/Valencia when the types of Norwich and Reading at home aren't going to pose that much of a challenge that we need that.

Don't be silly, there's certainly a fair amount of teams worse than you in the league. Just need to get the odious fuckers at the top out... which is easier said than done.
Wilbur plz.

All those words about Man United and all I see is CLANK CLANK CLANK
:lol :lol :lol

Wilbur

Banned
All the Man United talk I see are the formations wankfestivities. I could do with a bit less of that, you know.

The problems with having such an incredible squad <3

Noticed that.

Was very disappointing to see. Anderson for his many faults had not done that too often before. Definitely shifted me more to the "dump him" side of things. Cannot have players who aren't going to be committed.

CM is a massive problem. Don't know what Froggie is thinking. Carrick is 32 this summer too.

Ando was fucking shite today. Didn't offer anything in defence or attack. Just a presence that occupied space on the pitch as opposed to doing something with it.

Like yourself and Sal have said, need someone who harries and presses a tad more effectively than Cleverley does, much as I love the future Ballon d'Or winner. In an ideal world, Gundogan is fingering his poop pie hole right now with a tablecloth on, and texting Wanyama too. plz.

Have a feeling we'll spend another 30m or so on two players. Don't know where. Centre back and centre mid I think. Both young, both promising, but neither ready to step up just yet. Not a problem in the back because we have a fuckload there, but just nothing in the centre besides Carrick and Clev.

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbur plz.

:lol :lol :lol

hey now
hey now
don't dream its over
hey now
hey now
when the walls close in

sorry Robin. I'd have remembered to put your name if you weren't shit now.

God, we're such clankers. Can't wait for salty 'fuck United talk' posts. AT LEAST WE TALK ABOUT FOOTBALL GUYS

Clegg

Noticed that.

Nick Powell has obviously been earmarked for the future. But there's the problem that he's only played 6 or 7 times for us. He's looked decent most times but it's still had to judge from such a small sample of games. And at 19 it's still going to be years before he's the finished article. Clev is tidy and has been decent for us this season. He'll have to improve even more if he wants to become a regular though.

Scholes, Giggs and Fletch can't be relied upon to play every game and Ando hasn't been great for us.

We've been blessed that Carrick has stayed injury free. But we desperately need a capable CM that can play a similar role in the team.

Watch us sign Begovic, Garay and another flashy winger.

Wilbur

Banned
Speaking of Sunderland, how is Sessengon still there? Quality little player stuck with some right donkeys. Deserves to be somewhere much better. Spurs perhaps?

Don't think he's needed there right now to be honest, not with Demps, Siggy and Holtby around. Can see him going to France or Italy. Good player.

rodvik

Valencia is one of the most limited players I can think of when considering skill sets; what he does, he can do to great effect but that's really all he can do.

And Young's just average. Should have stayed at Villa.

Nani always promises so much and offers so little, it makes me sad.

Yes, yes he should of. We dont miss him as much as Milner the true King and Barry, but we still miss him.

Speaking of Sunderland, how is Sessengon still there? Quality little player stuck with some right donkeys. Deserves to be somewhere much better. Spurs perhaps?
Been a bit shite this season.

Nick Powell has obviously been earmarked for the future. But there's the problem that he's only played 6 or 7 times for us. He's looked decent most times but it's still had to judge from such a small sample of games. And at 19 it's still going to be years before he's the finished article. Clev is tidy and has been decent for us this season. He'll have to improve even more if he wants to become a regular though.

Scholes, Giggs and Fletch can't be relied upon to play every game and Ando hasn't been great for us.

We've been blessed that Carrick has stayed injury free. But we desperately need a capable CM that can play a similar role in the team.

Watch us sign Begovic, Garay and another flashy winger.
Powell isn't a CM as far as I can tell. Still young but from what I've seen I don't think he'll be a good one. Not mobile enough. His passing is also a little bit inconsistent. He excels on the ball making things happen because he thinks fast and has good feet and his shooting is also top notch. Definitely see him as a forward more than a midfielder.

Could be wrong of course but I worry we will try to turn him into something he's not and lose the talent.

Clegg

Been a bit shite this season.

Powell isn't a CM as far as I can tell. Still young but from what I've seen I don't think he'll be a good one. Not mobile enough. His passing is also a little bit inconsistent. He excels on the ball making things happen because he thinks fast and has good feet and his shooting is also top notch. Definitely see him as a forward more than a midfielder.

Could be wrong of course but I worry we will try to turn him into something he's not and lose the talent.

Haven't we played him as a CM in pretty much all his games for the senior team?

And then there was the interview where SAF said he sees Powell's long term position as a CM. Dario Gradi said the same thing, I think.

Haven't we played him as a CM in pretty much all his games for the senior team?

And then there was the interview where SAF said he sees Powell's long term position as a CM. Dario Gradi said the same thing, I think.
He played out wide in a few of those games I think. But yes he has played CM and done well. Especially against Chelsea in the League Cup when he was brilliant.

Of course they will be much better judges than I am, just get the feeling he might not quite have the game for CM. Either way I'm excited by him, think he's shown really good glimpses for us. Just hope he gets a good loan next season or you can easily end up wasting a year.

Salazar

Just sign Super Laure

rjaqvXU.gif

Fucking love that tackle

Powell is probably fast enough to cope up front. He doesn't always seem it, to look at him, but lad can motor.

Hixx

Sessegnon is still at Sunderland because it's his level. He is incredibly entertaining to watch and when at his best he is a superb footballer. But he's at his best for a quarter of the season at most.

As for O'Neill, not really too upset he's gone, upset that it's a weird time to do it. Why not after Norwich which was a fucking disgraceful performance? I actually felt a bit better after today's second half, the fight and energy was back...

If it is McClaren - we're going down. I'm not saying I think he's a bad manager, but I don't think he's the type to come in and gee up a group of players who are dead on their feet. First two games - Chelsea away, Mags away. He's going to be under immense pressure from the off as, baring Wigan's form dropping, we'll be in the bottom 3 come Everton at home.

Ambivalent towards O'Neill leaving certainly. Confused as fuck as to why now, though.

Top Bottom