• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

Fry

I choose this one|:

i4nGErRcXPx5M.png

Be still my beating heart.

Wilbur

Banned
Steve McClaren, christ. Can't believe he was in charge of England. Utter failure in the English game and in the Bundesliga. Peddled all the nonsense about learning techniques and his record speaking for itself and then cocked it up at Wolfsburg and Forest. Lemon head.

I think you'll beat us too but I do think given what's at stake at least for us and Chelsea that we will both come at United trying to win the game which will test your defence. Neither of us will probably win but I will be very disappointed if we don't make a game of it or put your defence under pressure in the game.

I think Arsenal will win their required points at the places they usually do; Everton, West Brom, West Ham, etc. They're not the type to cause a surprise really, you know? So they'll probably come at us in the first ten minutes, let in two goals and then score a late one after finding themselves again in the second half.

I simply don't enjoy FootballGAF, very little actual discussion outside of the group of fans of each team discussing their team. Man U fans just talk about Man U with each other, Liverpool fans with Liverpool and so on.

It always seems that whenever a conversation does sort of start one of the fan groups does it's best to steer it back towards their team. Of course, things might have improved since the last few times I looked in, but even those times the football conversations were sparse, and it was mainly pictures of 'Woman of the Week' or 'banter', which I understand might be what you guys want, which is fine, but it's not for me.
Yes we don't discuss football much here.

People moan about United-GAF but I think we probably talk about football the most, even if it's not always a very in depth discussion :p

It's unfortunate in some ways but it has to be like this really, just too many people contributing and a tendency for things to get off topic or trollish very easily.

Steve McClaren, christ. Can't believe he was in charge of England. Utter failure in the English game and in the Bundesliga. Peddled all the nonsense about learning techniques and his record speaking for itself and then cocked it up at Wolfsburg and Forest. Lemon head.

I think he's decent. His time with England (and the Brolly) has really tarnished his reputation. I wouldn't be over the moon if he was ever appointed as Newcastle manager though, but I'd want to listen to his philosophy, as he's one of the few English coaches that's been brave enough to attempt to manage abroad, and has been assistant manager to some very good managers.

People moan about United-GAF but I think we probably talk about football the most, even if it's not always a very in depth discussion :p

It's unfortunate in some ways but it has to be like this really, just too many people contributing and a tendency for things to get off topic or trollish very easily.

It's the nature of football, I guess. But NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL-GAF all seem to manage to discuss their sport and team to a decent level.

Wilbur

Banned
How about a still of you + Arnie from that gif when he makes contact with your... you know...

I have a picture of Arnie's mate's knob on my phone I could use.

I choose this one|:

i4nGErRcXPx5M.png

Be still my beating heart.

hnngghhhh

ejaculate

its everywhere

I think post-match is fantastic in here, whether its CL or PL or La Liga or whatever, a lot gets talked about and its generally insightful and intelligent talk. Just the off time when community takes over.

While we might not analyse football and its intricacies that often, we do talk about football a lot; whether its battle of the cunts between Messi & Ronaldo, in depth ClevGOD talk, Shebby Singh's house of curiosities.

I just love fucking talking football. Only reason I joined GAF was the football community. Empire forums were shit for that, had about 8 people and 6 of them were United, one Arsenal, one Charlton. And that was it.

Empty

what the fuck was that on motd towards pochettino. he's doing great stuff and they try to get him to credit adkins for the results in the interview.

Jensen

He did have do a very good job at Middlesbrough, FC Twente and was assistant to SAF for a couple of years. His has had a few failures, with the England job being the most high-profile but I think to describe him as an utter-failure in the English game is harsh. A decent manager who isn't good enough for a top club or international football seems more appropriate.

Wilbur

Banned
I think he's decent. His time with England (and the Brolly) has really tarnished his reputation. I wouldn't be over the moon if he was ever appointed as Newcastle manager though, but I'd want to listen to his philosophy, as he's one of the few English coaches that's been brave enough to attempt to manage abroad, and has been assistant manager to some very good managers.

I think he's a far better assistant manager than he is a manager, because in the modern game (especially in England) a manager seems to have taken precedent over a first team coach; its only really Spurs that have a sort of continental approach in the Premier League. Probably why he did well in the Eredivisie, because he was able to be a coach as opposed to this all encompassing ideal that everyone has to be like Fergie.

It's the nature of football, I guess. But NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL-GAF all seem to manage to discuss their sport and team to a decent level.

As for this, we genuinely do talk football a lot. Sure, its going to be pretty obvious that the United fans want to talk about United, the Barca fans about Barca, the Bayern fans about Bayern, the Newcastle fans about Newcastle. But with community comes cameraderie, and we're all happy to comment on Blackburn's latest failings, or to talk about MON right now, or what's going on in Italy, or Reading/Southampton's managerial appointments.

Not going to pretend we're the most astute fucking minds you'll find on football :lol, but we do talk a lot of it.

Wilbur

Banned
He did have do a very good job at Middlesbrough, FC Twente and was assistant to SAF for a long time. His has had a few failures, with the England job being the most high-profile but I think to describe him as an utter-failure in the English game is harsh. A decent manager who isn't good enough for a top club or international football seems more appropriate.

I don't even think he was that good at Middlesbrough; did alright with them and won them a cup, but the UEFA Cup run was a freak of Chelsea level proportions haha! If I recall correctly, Gibson was bankrolling them sensibly but significantly at the time as well. I might be wrong, but they were hardly punching above their weight.

I was a tad harsh; he did a great job at Twente and he was part of successful United sides. But he just doesn't have it in him to manage at a top club, like you say. And Sunderland are one of those sides that on prestige alone, really should be aiming for the top ten. He couldn't hack it at Forest when he wasn't given the funds (despite them still probably being better placed than large swathes of the Championship), so I just don't see quite how he'd work at Sunderland if they got relegated and Short tried to cut costs.

Tc91

Aye. That was the reason I was hoping we'd go two up. Wasn't in my mind that Sunderland would get anything.

I was certain he was going to play vs Reading but we only managed to score fucking 1 so he never got a sniff.

His time will come.

Clegg

The biggest problem that United have is that our wingers are massively out of form. I don't subscribe to the theory that United's only tactic down the years was to give the ball to a fast winger and then get a cross into the box. We've had some pretty decent creative players over the last 20 years after all. But wing play has always been a staple of United's game plan.

Things have gone down the tubes this season though. Valencia and Young just can't beat their fullbacks and when that happens our play becomes a bit constricted. Evra and Rafael are good attacking fullbacks but they can't be expected to run overlaps and cross it every single time. This is a problem with Young especially. He cuts inside, dithers over the ball and then passes outside to Evra. The overlap is an effective tactic when used in moderation. But when it's used every single time it becomes easier to defend against.

RVP was in brilliant form until January so we've gotten by on that and Rooney has been pretty productive assists wise. We've also seen United play a bit more centrally this season. I know he gets stick for not impacting games enough but Kagawa is the sort of player we should be using more. He gets into those positions just behind the oppo midfield and likes to play from there. He was pretty decent for the first 50 or so minutes too. He was certainly more effective than either winger.

If we had in form wingers I think we would see a much more free flowing United side. It would free up space for Kagawa and Rooney to operate.

Salazar

fRzKAlc.gif

Fucking horrible column.

Perhaps, then, it is time to set the record straight. You see, the problem when people do not fully understand the mechanics, politics, relationships and intricacies of an industry is that they tend to blur their own suspicions with what is actually the truth.

"Setting the record straight": shit everybody knows followed by a cursory suggestion that he would maybe (although we dunno, innit) have done ok as England boss.

Thanks for handling the the mechanics and intricacies, you fucking chancer.

GQman2121

Banned
Just back from the pub. What the fuck Sunderland? Now's not the time to play that card. I'm speaking from experience here.....

The number of managers who've been sacked this season is out of control. More so now than ever too.

Wilbur

Banned
Tribeca is the name of the place where I eat those delicious egg cheeseburguers. They do exist, Wilbury.

i keep telling you man, the yolk is yellow because thats the natural colour of the nucleus, it isnt cheese

sure you can get kinda orange cheeses or white creamy cheeses but its just that you keep thinking because its yellow its cheese when it isnt

Clegg

And yet Man U have stilled walked the title, and still people submit to the idea that the Premier League is the best league.

We've been pretty decent attacking wise this season. The wingers have been dysfunctional but our fullbacks have took up some of the slack for them and players like Carrick, RVP and Rooney have excelled in the more central areas.

I just think that's we'd see a better United side if our wingers could actually threaten the opposition. We'd see more free space for our central attackers and more crossed into the feckin box. Valencia has been especially terrible with his crossing. On the rare occasion he beats his man he proceeds whip in a terrible cross that either missed his target completely or just goes out of play for a goal kick.

K1LLER7

The biggest problem that United have is that our wingers are massively out of form. I don't subscribe to the theory that United's only tactic down the years was to give the ball to a fast winger and then get a cross into the box. We've had some pretty decent creative players over the last 20 years after all. But wing play has always been a staple of United's game plan.

Things have gone down the tubes this season though. Valencia and Young just can't beat their fullbacks and when that happens our play becomes a bit constricted. Evra and Rafael are good attacking fullbacks but they can't be expected to run overlaps and cross it every single time. This is a problem with Young especially. He cuts inside, dithers over the ball and then passes outside to Evra. The overlap is an effective tactic when used in moderation. But when it's used every single time it becomes easier to defend against.

RVP was in brilliant form until January so we've gotten by on that and Rooney has been pretty productive assists wise. We've also seen United play a bit more centrally this season. I know he gets stick for not impacting games enough but Kagawa is the sort of player we should be using more. He gets into those positions just behind the oppo midfield and likes to play from there. He was pretty decent for the first 50 or so minutes too. He was certainly more effective than either winger.

If we had in form wingers I think we would see a much more free flowing United side. It would free up space for Kagawa and Rooney to operate.
Agree with yah. Plus to me it seems that Kagawa's been getting the ball played into him much more since his return from injury. Carrick and Ando both constantly worked around him, similar to how they do with Rooney. He was our best player in the first half, mainly because they're actually giving the ball into him, where he can turn and move forward. He kept things ticking. Another thing is he's starting to react faster and isn't getting pushed around as much as usual. He'll get better the more he plays in the PL. plus It'll help him when we have the wingers back in form too.

The problem with Young and Valencia is that they just aren't that good. Not enough depth to their game so that when they do hit bad form they offer very little. Their general footballing skill isn't that high either, although Valencia isn't too bad, so their touch and passing also becomes lax.

When Nani plays well it's clear how much of an impact a versatile and capable wide player has on the team because he can take people on but also link up very well with other players - something I don't think Young/Valencia do that well.

Wilbur

Banned
Valencia is one of the most limited players I can think of when considering skill sets; what he does, he can do to great effect but that's really all he can do.

And Young's just average. Should have stayed at Villa.

Nani always promises so much and offers so little, it makes me sad.

Wilbur

Banned
DO you think they could make cheese topped-egg hamburguers over there

well how we do it here is we have cheese on the beef patty and then we probably put an egg in, but i think in brazil you just put an egg in and stuff.

germany isn't a third world country like colombia

Imagine Nani's skill with Valencia's work rate.
I don't think Nani lacks in work-rate though, infact I think he works very hard. Tracks back quite alot.

It's his decision making and his overly relaxed approach which is the problem. Valencia has a problem with his mentality too in that he limits himself I think. It's obvious he isn't an amazing talent but he plays in a very regimented way when he could probably try different things.

Top Bottom