• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

United fans "crowing" about doing the treble still isn't as funny as City fans "crowing" about dominating English football :lol

This Chelsea tie and the one against Madrid shows us that we need to invest in players that are consistently good. We only have a few of those. Definite depth needed in CM and a better option out wide. You need that to challenge on all 3 fronts.

The reason we even played today is because we threw the original tie away at OT. 2-0 up with Chelsea a mess we have somehow gone out of the cup. Really isnt good enough. A mixture of tiredness, complacency and just not enough cutting edge.

qindarka

Banned
Me too, only caught the second half. My old phone would update the calendar when fixtures were scheduled/rescheduled. I absolutely relied on. Since changing phone, I've started to loose track of games. This is the first game where I've missed a bit though. Hopefully not happen again.

Anyway, going to DL the first half, although my brother informs me I didn't miss much.

Wasn't following the schedule closely enough. I knew it was jam packed but didn't know that having 4 games in 8 days was a thing.

Slizz

United fans "crowing" about doing the treble still isn't as funny as City fans "crowing" about dominating English football :lol

This Chelsea tie and the one against Madrid shows us that we need to invest in players that are consistently good. We only have a few of those. Definite depth needed in CM and a better option out wide. You need that to challenge on all 3 fronts.

The reason we even played today is because we threw the original tie away at OT. 2-0 up with Chelsea a mess we have somehow gone out of the cup. Really isnt good enough. A mixture of tiredness, complacency and just not enough cutting edge.

Don't forget one really beautiful goal today too.

Man Utd players who've been really good this season:

Van Persie
Rooney
Carrick
Rafael
Evra

Yet you're 15 points clear at the top

I don't understand :(

Clegg

Remember when we were moaning about Fergie looking to sign wingers last summer? It turns out he was dead right to look for one.

But is Zaha not our new wing option for next season? We probably need another but maybe Fergie will be happy with what he has now.

Don't forget one really beautiful goal today too.
It was an amazing goal for sure - but Chelsea probably should have scored 3 or 4. They were awful in the final third, esp Mata which was a surprise.

Our performance was very flat. Cannot afford to play like that in cup games.

RVP missed two REALLY good chances too. Very disappointing.

Fady K

It bothers me that footballers think God (whichever religion) gives a shit about football matches, and whether or not they score. Placing way too much importance on themselves and their actions, which are meaningless in a greater context.

Odd_morsel, based on my understanding it has nothing to do with thinking God (of whichever religion) gives a damn about football matches; it is about us expressing our gratitude for any good thing that comes our way.

In Islam (and I am sure this is practised in many more religions), the encouraged character (for those who believe) is being thankful to God for every good thing we get; it keeps us humble and appreciative. And this is not restricted to Islam, just to be clear.

Messi

15 points

Suck it down haters

The rest are all shite

untitled-12ycj6e.gif

Not today Clegg. Chelsea deserved it.

I just came in to say that - that is a load of bollocks. A guy has every damn right to feel humbled and thank God for any form of success that comes his/her way. For some of us religion is a lifestyle and it can fit in every aspect of our lives as long as we don't offend others.

Just because there is a bad side to religion (like there is a bad side to everything) doesn't mean it defines any religion as a whole. Get your facts straight before you call religion a taint on sport. Especially when it is a humbling gesture of a man thanking God, in his own way without bothering ANYONE.

In my opinion a guy being thankful to God (for those who believe in God) is a wonderful gesture that does the exact opposite of tainting a sport - it is a sign of respect.

oh he mad

I agree with you though

Man Utd players who've been really good this season:

Van Persie
Rooney
Carrick
Rafael
Evra

Yet you're 15 points clear at the top

I don't understand :(
I would take Rooney and Evra out and put De Gea and Ferdinand in myself.

We have alot of depth in attack. That's what wins us the games. And not just in terms of strikers.

But in the big games like against Madrid and here today it has to be the XI who get the job done and our first team isn't brilliant.

Remember when we were moaning about Fergie looking to sign wingers last summer? It turns out he was dead right to look for one.

But is Zaha not our new wing option for next season? We probably need another but maybe Fergie will be happy with what he has now.
I don't know really. I guess we will find out. But yeah Fergie called it right I guess by searching for that special talent. We definitely need it. James plz.

Awww fuck, Copenhagens keeper travelled home as his wife is about to give birth, now stuck with some shit that will do everything to destroy my bets and happiness.

I just came in to say that - that is a load of bollocks. A guy has every damn right to feel humbled and thank God for any form of success that comes his/her way. For some of us religion is a lifestyle and it can fit in every aspect of our lives as long as we don't offend others.

Just because there is a bad side to religion (like there is a bad side to everything) doesn't mean it defines any religion as a whole. Get your facts straight before you call religion a taint on sport. Especially when it is a humbling gesture of a man thanking God, in his own way without bothering ANYONE.

In my opinion a guy being thankful to God (for those who believe in God) is a wonderful gesture that does the exact opposite of tainting a sport - it is a sign of respect.
I don't give a crap about religion but when it comes between you and doing your job e.g. refusing to play a football match on Sundays, you shouldn't expect everybody to be OK with that.

This recent thing of trying to ban any form of religious habits on the football pitch is disgusting though.

Slizz

I would take Rooney and Evra out and put De Gea and Ferdinand in myself.

We have alot of depth in attack. That's what wins us the games. And not just in terms of strikers.

But in the big games like against Madrid and here today it has to be the XI who get the job done and our first team isn't brilliant.

I don't know really. I guess we will find out. But yeah Fergie called it right I guess by searching for that special talent. We definitely need it. James plz.

Evra has been clutch this season, scored some really important goals.

Also in regards to James hasn't he been in like a Valencia/Nani-esque run of form for a while now?

He works hard, but that Morgan bloke has zero tekkers. Like a young Dirk Kuyt I'd imagine.

The only really good attribute he has is anticipation. His finishing is good, seems to have one downhill if anything in the last 2 years though.

Wonder if our promotion of Wisdom, Sterling and Suso has had an unexpectedly large negative effect on the U21s

edit: We're getting absolutely twatted on the counter

Meier

i've watched that video three times now (what's wrong with me help me please), and i still can't figure out why his leg snapped like that.

the video isn't entirely clear, but it didn't look like he landed in a weird way.

I was out of the house when it happened otherwise I would have seen it since we had the game on before we left. I'm hoping I never see it.. hearing that his teammates on the bench just straight up vomited immediately gives me all the visual of it I need.

Me too, only caught the second half. My old phone would update the calendar when fixtures were scheduled/rescheduled. I absolutely relied on. Since changing phone, I've started to loose track of games. This is the first game where I've missed a bit though. Hopefully not happen again.

Anyway, going to DL the first half, although my brother informs me I didn't miss much.

Edit: United fans, you had a chance to get Hazard, and from what I understand, Ferguson wasn't willing to pay up. He said after the fact that he wasn't worth the money he went for. Given the situation a lot you seem to feel you're in. Do you guys think he would have been worth it?
He would have been worth it and it's why we have to come to terms with paying agents and players what they want. The Glazers/Ferguson refuse to do so and so we missed out on Hazard and Lucas in one summer. Disappointing for me.

I was speaking more on the whole season rather than just this game.

Shinji gets 60 minutes a game and still has 5 goals and 4 assists. Much more productive than all of our wingers. I also hear from other United fans that he has a stamina issue when it isn't true at all. He was tested with having the best one out of everyone. The team just usually plays like shit in the 2nd half and he gets yanked out first every time. It's assumed he has stamina problems because of that.

For example, you could say the following for everyone in the 2nd half, but he gets singled out because he gets subbed out first every time.

Agreed, but the real problem is our axis in midfield. Carrick is playing well, except we're still way too static. And without Scholes spraying impossible passes any more, you see wingers like Valencia and Young become less effective. Overall, whether it's Shinji or Rooney in the hole, good movement in the final third simply isn't being reward as it should.

Not saying Pogba would have been the solution, but he would have been a good option this season; perhaps a better one than Phil Jones in midfield. It's silly to cry over spilt milk, though. But if Fergie doesn't sign up a midfielder or two minimum, then I don't even.

Slizz

I was out of the house when it happened otherwise I would have seen it since we had the game on before we left. I'm hoping I never see it.. hearing that his teammates on the bench just straight up vomited immediately gives me all the visual of it I need.

Watched it live, surreal. Teammates on the court immediately collapsed after seeing it. Both coaches tearing up, the Duke bench all somber heads down, the Louisville cheerleaders encouraging him as he was stretchered off.... Surreal

GorillaJu

Morsel, know of any good Japanese sites for PC components if you're around?

:(

what are you looking for? I usually use kakaku.com, sometimes it's not the cheapest though. yodobashi.com has a decent selection (and it has English). The best is to go to akihabara though, you can just stand in line with huge crowds to get dirt cheap prices on OEM products.

Evra has been clutch this season, scored some really important goals.

Also in regards to James hasn't he been in like a Valencia/Nani-esque run of form for a while now?
I dunno I still think Evra had had quite a few poor games. Definitely better than the last couple of years but IMO still short of where he should be. His goals have been a nice bonus though :D

James - I don't know but his name is James and it's prounounced Ha-mez. We have to get him!

More seriously might be the case but I mean in terms of the talent ceiling. We know Young/Valencia will never be world class. Need match winners in the team. James could be one.

Nani's not exactly making the best case for his side of the contract negotiation. Valencia is playing his way into backup RB status. Young has been mediocre enough that Kagawa, Welbeck and Giggs often get preference over him playing out-of-position or nearly forty. I wouldn't be surprised to see another winger come in besides Zaha.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We are just waving our cocks around in this U21s game. Should be 0-5.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Blech we just gave a turd of a goal away, just like the first team did. Should have been done and dusted, our finishing has been punished.

Morgan trolled us with that finish.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
4 - Juventus have the best defensive record in the Champions League this season, having conceded only 4* goals in 8 games. Confidence.

ARE YOU SCARED FRY?
BECAUSE I AM

-

*Two from Oscar in one game and one in a freekick.

Clegg

I don't think Zaha falls under the "special talent" bracket. He looks like a good prospect and his coaches and various journos have had good things to say about him. I think he'll turn out to be a decent player. And we could always use a decent alternative. It's not like any of our other wingers have impressed this season.

But we should still be trying to sign a special talent. It's going to be difficult though as you can be sure that every big European club will be on the lookout too. We haven't signed one of those highly rated young attackers since Anderson. And he was a flop for us.

Is Texeira not playing?

What shall I read next:

Smiley's People
The Reality Dysfunction
Under The Dome
The Stand
No Country For Old Men
The Killing
I, Partridge
Mass Effect books*

?

*Assuming there are no game spoilers, yet to play 3.

edit: Morgan you knob

Heynckes had sex with Juve: "Ich bin mit der alten Dame ins Bett gegangen und mit der alten Dame aufgestanden": I went to bed with the old dame and woke up with the old dame.
(I guess that's supposed to mean that he prepared for the match, lol)

Top Bottom