• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

See you in hell, Bacon!
j/k

Religion in sports is bad.
Sports is supposed to be inclusive and not accentuate people's differences.
And because some Muslims in here are crying out, again. Here's something that should make more sense to you: back in I guess 98 or so I personally witnessed people of your denomination (basically a club consisting of Turks only, Bosporus something, Kreisliga in Düsseldorf) take offence in their opponents' overly Christian acting, as in: "take that mofos, we crusaded your ass" while crossing themselves after goals and also doing crosses with their fingers (as if to protect themselves from demons) when Bosporus players were addressing them. The situation escalated at some point and it came to a fight, they game was called off.
Now do you think the public display of religion was helpful in this situation?
Do you think a young German Turk (raised Muslim, but not knowing wtf he really is) thinks "oh wow, I could play for Germany someday too" when German national players cross themselves after goals? Probably not.
If you even have half-German, ex-national player, now commentator Mehmet Scholl complaining about Holtby doing the cross then it must be strange for people to see that shit.
If FIFA can ban/punish taking off shirts in part probably also because it offends ME countries to see manboobs on TV (from what I understand it was introduced for the WC 2002 in which countries like Saudi Arabia participated), then religious display should absolutely be punishable too.

Of course to me there many more reasons for that, like how often do you see religion in cartoons? Those are supposed to be mass-compatible and since football doesn't have age restrictions (like other sports that can only be televised at noon in most countries) so should be football. Why is there supposed to be religion in your face in places you don't/wouldn't expect it?
Lastly, religion can be some fucking vile shit. Why would people, who narrowly escaped persecution/death on the hands of followers of a religion be reminded of it, again, in places where they least expect it? Especially with islam which, to some, cannot exist in a secular society because islam = law and can therefore also be referred to as ideology, how that different from fascist/Roman salute? Ohh, but all of us take offense in that, do we?

Meier

I'm going to try and go to my first NASL match(Division 2 American Soccer) this Saturday. It's the home opener from my local team, juanpablo would be proud.

Nice! Ft. Lauderdale Strikers? I went to some of the Aztex games here last season.. will try and go to more this year. They play in Division 4 and it's Semi-Pro so it's not particularly impressive but there is good local support.

Grant Wahl was talking up Orlando City to MLS on Goals on Sunday yesterday but I missed it.. wonder if they have his segment online. Buddy Dyer (the City of Orlando Mayor) did an op-ed in the Orlando Sentinel on why he thinks it's a good idea. I think the main stumbling block now is the Orange County Mayor officially signing on.

906218_512308492160777_1282660731_o.jpg
7569_511945228863770_276475546_n.jpg
894455_512173062174320_1993080599_o.jpg
(not me of course, just some cool pics)

Orlando City beat the Tampa Bay Rowdies in both legs of a pre-season Cup (I-4 Derby).

Slizz

Nice! Ft. Lauderdale Strikers? I went to some of the Aztex games here last season.. will try and go to more this year. They play in Division 4 and it's Semi-Pro so it's not particularly impressive but there is good local support.

Grant Wahl was talking up Orlando City to MLS on Goals on Sunday yesterday but I missed it.. wonder if they have his segment online.

Yeah the Strikers. Seems like they are garnering more and more support around here, it popped up on my Facebook and its hard to argue 10$ tickets. Plus its something different to do on a Saturday night.

Clegg

See you in hell, Bacon!
j/k

"take that mofos, we crusaded your ass" while crossing themselves after goals and also doing crosses with their fingers (as if to protect themselves from demons) when Bosporus players were addressing them. The situation escalated at some point and it came to a fight, they game was called off.
This has more to do with people being cunts rather than anything to do with religion.

Meier

Yeah the Strikers. Seems like they are garnering more and more support around here, it popped up on my Facebook and its hard to argue 10$ tickets. Plus its something different to do on a Saturday night.

Yeah, Wahl mentioned there is a lot of support for the Miami expansion as well (I assume the Strikers would become Miami FC or something again? Who knows). I think Orlando is closer since we have the financial backing of the new owner and get pretty good attendance as is.

Found Wahl's segment: http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/video/?vid=c29b75ab-b3e9-4d82-8397-6719a66be002 -- talks about Miami and Orlando. Also mentions the City vs Chelsea friendlies in the US could be a yearly thing after every season. COME TO TEXAS NEXT YEAR!

This has more to do with people being cunts rather than anything to do with religion.

It started out with them doing signs of the cross after goals and then escalated from there.
That shit just simply divides us while sport is supposed to bring us closer together.

Dibbz

See you in hell, Bacon!
j/k

And because some Muslims in here are crying out, again. Here's something that should make more sense to you: back in I guess 98 or so I personally witnessed people of your denomination (basically a club consisting of Turks only, Bosporus something, Kreisliga in Düsseldorf) take offence in their opponents' overly Christian acting, as in: "take that mofos, we crusaded your ass" while crossing themselves after goals and also doing crosses with their fingers (as if to protect themselves from demons) when Bosporus players were addressing them. The situation escalated at some point and it came to a fight, they game was called off.
Do you think a young German Turk (raised Muslim, but not knowing wtf he really is) thinks "oh wow, I could play for Germany someday too" when German national players cross themselves after goals? Probably not.
If you even have half-German, ex-national player, now commentator Mehmet Scholl complaining about Holtby doing the cross then it must be strange for people to see that shit.
If FIFA can ban/punish taking off shirts in part probably also because it offends ME countries to see manboobs on TV (from what I understand it was introduced for the WC 2002 in which countries like Saudi Arabia participated), then religious display should absolutely be punishable too.

Of course to me there many more reasons for that, like how often do you see religion in cartoons? Those are supposed to be mass-compatible and since football doesn't have age restrictions (like other sports that can only be televised at noon in most countries) so should be football. Why is there supposed to be religion in your face in places you don't/wouldn't expect it?
Lastly, religion can be some fucking vile shit. Why would people, who narrowly escaped persecution/death on the hands of followers of a religion be reminded of it, again, in places where they least expect it? Especially with islam which, to some, cannot exist in a secular society because islam = law and can therefore also be referred to as ideology, how that different from fascist/Roman salute? Ohh, but all of us take offense in that, do we?

Bro people can practice whatever they want. As long as they are not forcing it down you throat what is the problem? Tons of people cross themselves when they come on the pitch, I don't care because that's what they want to do as a person. Who are we to tell them to stop?

Also fucking lol at Manure. Dat midfield. Dat Ashley Young. dat #GiggsaheadofKagawa

All I want now is Villa to win the NextGen.

Clegg

It started out with them doing signs of the cross after goals and then escalated from there.
That shit just simply divides us while sport is supposed to bring us closer together.

Then it's their fault for doing it. They're acting the cunt and starting something they shouldn't have.

Slizz

Why are we talking about religion again?

Naaah, but it was a fun (rather pointless) game.

I'm off to watch GoT, not expecting much for some reason.

In for a treat!

EDIT: I had a pre-premiere checklist with 3 items on it that I wanted to see, all 3 got checked off.

Bro people can practice whatever they want. As long as they are not forcing it down you throat what is the problem? Tons of people cross themselves when they come on the pitch, I don't care because that's what they want to do as a person. Who are we to tell them to stop?
Sure, but keep that shit at home or in your temples. They are forcing it down my through unless I close my eyes which I won't do, lol
The rest is answered in the post you quoted.

Because Ba is a prick.

//
Then it's their fault for doing it. They're acting the cunt and starting something they shouldn't have.
OH REALLY??? But they just celebrated their goals with Christian gestures, whaaat? But I don't undersaaand...

Fuck, lost to the bottom team of the league... How did we not score there in the end lol

corn2q7sn3.gif

So unlucky Cornelius. The good news is that since we chose to lose to them, Brøndby are again to find on the very bottom place... We are playing the mas the last match of the season too, so if we already won the league by then we can lose to them and send Brøndby down.
3AQmK.gif

Sure, but keep that shit at home or in your temples. They are forcing it down my through unless I close my eyes which I won't do, lol

Because Ba is a prick.

Forcing it down your throat? Not really.

Sunderland: 'To accuse Paolo of having Fascist sympathies is insulting'

Wut?

arkon

See you in hell, Bacon!
j/k

That's a problem with Mehmet Scholl then. I've not heard any commentators in England make mention of when it happens here or even bat an eyelid at that. Lots of players cross themselves when they come onto the field or whatever. Not a mention of it from commentators. Even the Ba celebration. The only one that made mention of it was you.

Also do you have anything more concrete on that stuff about Saudi Arabia and other ME countries being involved in that decision? Saudi were involved in all the WCs from 1994 through to 2006. Didn't hear anything of that sort during those times. Not seen anyone really make that connection before.

TrueBlue

The points record is certainly something to aim for. But I still get the feeling that there isn't much left to play for. Three wins and a draw will guarantee the title.

Get that out of the way and I can see a lot of our players switching off.

I won't complain, we might need three points at Old Trafford near the end of the season.

Clegg

Because Ba is a prick.

//

OH REALLY??? But they just celebrated their goals with Christian gestures, whaaat? But I don't undersaaand...
In a deliberate attempt to wind up opposition fans. Unless I've misread what you've posted.

There really isn't anything wrong with people expressing their faith publicly.

dc89

It's a sticker. Marotta is trying to save money for Verratti.

Ah I see. Well you may well lose money when fans return shirts with the broken stitch on the back. I don't think the "it symbolises his betrayal" line will fly with the fans.

FootballFan

Phantast2k is up to his usual thang. I mean there is nothing wrong with being an atheist, but imo he goes over-the-top. How he bashes religion out of the blue is really weird to me. Like when Ba scored "Why you have to pray for? Idiot".

Don't really see the point in even posting something like that when you know people will get offended/upset from it, especially when you already know the answer to your question.

I don't care how they celebrate, if they pray/eat grass/do a handstand whatever, as long as it doesn't effect how they play or do something offensive like a nazi salute then who cares.

Phantast2k is up to his usual thang. I mean there is nothing wrong with being an atheist, but imo he goes over-the-top. How he bashes religion out of the blue is really weird to me. Like when Ba scored "Why you have to pray for? Idiot".

Don't really see the point in even posting something like that when you know people will get offended/upset from it, especially when you already know the answer to your question.

I don't care how they celebrate, if they pray/eat grass/do a handstand whatever, as long as it doesn't effect how they play then who cares.

He's like footy-gaf's Ricky Gervais :p

See you in hell, Bacon!
j/k

You really don't see a difference between your example, and a player just crossing himself or what Demba Ba did today? And the removing your shirt thing, why would Muslims being offended be the reason? If it was then why don't they book players when they take their shirts off after the match?

The last part... come on.

arkon

I don't care how they celebrate, if they pray/eat grass/do a handstand whatever, as long as it doesn't effect how they play or do something offensive like a nazi salute then who cares.

Yeah. Same. I don't get the problem with the celebrations. I mean I would if it was inciting violence in the crowd or some shit. Then, yeah, you'd want the authorities to act.

This Brøndby match without any supporters in the stadium at all is hilarious, can hear what the ref, players and managers are saying fairly easily.

FootballFan

No we won't. Your meltdown alone after Ibra styles on your cunts will take up at least 10 pages.

And then the next OT would take another month to finish after another AMAZING REMUNTADA in the second leg, where the people waiting to hate will disappear, thus meaning less posting.

Wilbur

Banned
arnie & friends is actually the worst thread we've had in a while.

#banarnie
#revivebacon

Blame:

- international football
- Arnie marketing
- me being busy
- death of Pulga
- Yenrot banned
- Kyoufu lured to Gaming side
- the treble dream over

But

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE IS BACK

See you in hell, Bacon!
j/k

dancing-muslim.gif

I can't believe you seriously think FIFA introduced the rule about shirts cos Saudi Arabia would have got offended.

arkon

Blame:

- international football
- Arnie marketing
- me being busy
- death of Pulga
- Yenrot banned
- Kyoufu lured to Gaming side
- the treble dream over

But

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE IS BACK

I expect this thread to literally explode tomorrow evening.

(And no, Phantast2k, this is not a veiled threat. Put the phone down.)

Top Bottom