• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

I give up. :(

Go jerk off on your Rafa posters, still the worst manager since Roman took over and to call his transformation of Chelsea in the league a "partial failure" is hilarious. Can't wait for him to be out of a job again, he will have to wait a long fucking time for Real to call him as he believes lol

Were you expecting to go from 6th to title challengers, at the same time as being in 3 other competitions? Coming third would have been a big success after last year.

Worth noting as well that your squad player simply aren't very good, so your team is spread pretty damn thin

Ade is going to burst into life. There have been glimmers of the old Ade in recent weeks, he just needs one goal (that silly one at San Siro doesn't count). As shite as his finish against Swansea was, it was impressive how he strode through their defence onto that pass. I haven't seen that form him all season.

Basel is a great chance to burst into life, I feel we can get a few goals against them and carry on this form against Everton.

Either that or we play Caulker and Dawson at CB and Super Jan up top.

We'll bounce back and reclaim our rightful position*

*Above Spurs

Not when Cabaye goes bye bye in the summer followed by Cisse.

Apparently Defoe will miss our next three games with a muscle injury.

partridge_medium.gif

Hugo Boss back in training.

:lol

Amazing gif.

Arnie

I think he's brilliant.

But imo there are players that are as equally brilliant but haven't received as much recognition as Isco.

Such as?

Funny when Tottenham losing a striker to injury is reported as news. Like it fucking matters. Like Spurs rely on strikers. If anything, having Adebayour just exist and act as a lump of meat for the ball to ricochet off in it's inevitable quest towards Bale's feet is better for the team. Defoe will just act like a conventional striker and attack the goal.

arkon

Were you expecting to go from 6th to title challengers, at the same time as being in 3 other competitions? Coming third would have been a big success after last year.

Worth noting as well that your squad player simply aren't very good, so your team is spread pretty damn thin

I suppose they would expect him to improve on this season's performances under the previous manager. Weren't they comfortably third when Rafa came in?

arkon

Ade is going to burst into life. There have been glimmers of the old Ade in recent weeks, he just needs one goal (that silly one at San Siro doesn't count). As shite as his finish against Swansea was, it was impressive how he strode through their defence onto that pass. I haven't seen that form him all season.

7y7zv3t_zps5790c517.gif

Top gif usage on the last page, man.

(Yes. I'm in the 50ppp club)

I suppose they would expect him to improve on this season's performances under the previous manager. Weren't they comfortably third when Rafa came in?

That's fair enough, but it overlooks the fact that RDM was sacked very early into the league season, at a time when everybody's position was not really reflective of the team's quality. Weren't West Ham in the European places, and West Brom in 4th at that point?

Arnie

I give up. :(

Go jerk off on your Rafa posters, still the worst manager since Roman took over and to call his transformation of Chelsea in the league a "partial failure" is hilarious. Can't wait for him to be out of a job again, he will have to wait a long fucking time for Real to call him as he believes, I'm depressed again now thinking about him being in control over Chelsea.

Don't be ridiculous.

He's managing the worst group of Chelsea players in the post-Mourinho era, and he's doing it in poisonous conditions. And he's currently residing in a position above Di Matteo/AVB before him.

I've been saying for over a year that Chelsea need a midfield. No point having a front four, or a back four, if it's connected by John Obi Wankenobi Mikel.

Wilbur

Banned
Benitez has done as well as he could under the circumstances for me. Lost Drogba, had the fans against him all season, had the players probably still hatin' because of comments in the past, took over a team that finished fourth and they'll probably finish third, win an FA Cup and maybe the Europa.

He's still a cunt, mind.

Clegg

Such as?

Funny when Tottenham losing a striker to injury is reported as news. Like it fucking matters. Like Spurs rely on strikers. If anything, having Adebayour just exist and act as a lump of meat for the ball to ricochet off in it's inevitable quest towards Bale's feet is better for the team. Defoe will just act like a conventional striker and attack the goal.

Reus
Schurrle
Draxler
Rodriguez

All these players are brilliant but Isco seems to have swallowed up all the hype. Maybe it's just the papers I've been reading.

Arnie

Benitez has done as well as he could under the circumstances for me. Lost Drogba, had the fans against him all season, had the players probably still hatin' because of comments in the past, took over a team that finished fourth and they'll probably finish third, win an FA Cup and maybe the Europa.

He's still a cunt, mind.
Took over a team that finished fifth, more like.
Reus
Schurrle
Draxler
Rodriguez

All these players are brilliant but Isco seems to have swallowed up all the hype. Maybe it's just the papers I've been reading.
I think Reus gets just as much, if not more, praise than Isco, to be honest. The other three aren't quite as promising.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yeah you are, apparently in the book it does a better job conveying the impact of him showing up.

Thanks Slizz!

I knew I should've watched that 00 episode :(
"too old".
Now I feel bad for calling him old.
KuGsj.gif

most of them are british.

elsk was right!

Of course they do, because Bayern is a German team. Kinda like how most of the Germans here hate Juve/Italy/Pirlo. It cuts both ways.

This is why you're my favourite.

3AQmK.gif

Carbonox

That's no way of showing respect to the man who put you in the QFs of the Europa League and the man who had pretty much a goal a game when he joined you...if you take away his first start where we beat you 5-0.

Who else do you have as a striker nowadays?

We're getting knocked out by Benfica anyway so his partial exploits in the Europa League matter not.

His form in the last half of last season was exceptional but he's been completely useless since. We're near the end of this season and he's done fuck all in it bar his winning goals here and there. They mattered at the time but taking his season as a whole he's been shite. I'd have more faith in Shola Ameobi.

Shola will carry us to Europa League and Premier League glory.

arkon

That's fair enough, but it overlooks the fact that RDM was sacked very early into the league season, at a time when everybody's position was not really reflective of the team's quality. Weren't West Ham in the European places, and West Brom in 4th at that point?

In terms of accruing points and gettting results though... there's been no improvement, where other teams have caught up.

Clegg

It's only the 3rd of April but he's my team of the season. I'm bored.

De Gea/Lloris (Can't decide)

Zabaleta
Vertonghen
Rio
Baines

Carrick
Mata
Schneiderlin

Bale
RVP
Suarez

Kind of a shame that Carroll can't play this weekend, would have liked him to get a few games in a row and try and kick on a bit. Ah well. Must win, no excuses.

Not even with Benitez did I expect to go 4 points from the lead to 22... Or to fail winning against a Corinthians that had sunk into mediocrity some time ago and not even in the top battle in Brazil, get shamed by Swansea at home to get knocked out of another cup and fucking QPR. His league performance has been embarrassing without anything to compensate, if Chelsea ends up missing the CL spots it will be on him for concentrating on adding another trophy to his CV.

He's still a cunt, mind.

All the reports I have seen seems to say the players are fine with Benitez... Also didn't finish fourth last season, but this is also not the same team at all.

Kyoufu

We need strikers badly. Doesn't look like Aubameyang will sign as he'd rather go to PSG. I hear City are going to bid 13 million for him also. :(

It's only the 3rd of April but he's my team of the season. I'm bored.

De Gea/Lloris (Can't decide)

Zabaleta
Vertonghen
Rio
Baines

Carrick
Mata
Schneiderlin

Bale
RVP
Suarez
Cech has been pretty awesome once again this season. But there are quite a few good shouts for keeper, Mignolet has been really good this season also.

Not even with Benitez did I expect to go 4 points from the lead to 22... Or to fail winning against a Corinthians that had sunk into mediocrity some time ago and not even in the top battle in Brazil, get shamed by Swansea at home to get knocked out of another cup and fucking QPR. His league performance has been embarrassing without anything to compensate, if Chelsea ends up missing the CL spots it will be on him for concentrating on adding another trophy to his CV.

All the reports I have seen seems to say the players are fine with Benitez... Also didn't finish fourth last season, but this is also not the same team at all.

The '4 points to 22' is disingenuous considering Man Utd's exceptional league form throughout the season. You were never, ever going to keep up with them without one of the world's top 3 managers and a hefty budget for January. City is a better milsetone to judge his success against.

Fair enough with the rest of it. For me,it depends entirely where you finish. If you come 4th, partial league success. If not, utter failure.

Arnie

It wasn't unrealistic when he took over. But at least be in a sure position for CL.

You'll get Champions League.

As for the slip in points, the fans have to blame themselves as much as anything Benitez has done. It's no coincidence that you dropped so many points at home whilst winning comfortably away.

arkon

Norwich will be great next season.

We're going to be relegation fodder again if we don't spend.

Maybe Ashley will see the benefit of the January transfer window spending and make sure you get the players you want in the summer. One can only hope.

Clegg

Cech has been pretty awesome once again this season. But there are quite a few good shouts for keeper, Mignolet has been really good this season also.

Can you think of any other positions where players have excelled? Evans has been pretty good this season as has Ashley Williams.

Fellaini started the season brilliantly and Gerrard has been good too.

Can you think of any other positions where players have excelled? Evans has been pretty good this season as has Ashley Williams.

Gerrard has been brilliant by the standards we (unfortunately, from an LFC persepctive) expected of him, but he's not been quite good enough for team of the year shouts imo. Although centre midfield seems pretty weak all round this season.

Not many top candidates at CB or CM IMO.

The other positions mostly pick themselves. Up front for sure. LB is Baines for sure, RB Zabaleta probably has it sealed.

Maybe Nastasic at CB. Haven't really paid much attention to him but been fairly constant in City's defence which is the leagues best this year.

arkon

Guillem Balague thinks Athletico and Chelsea have agreed a deal to keep Courtois in Spain for another season.

Makes the most sense really. Cech's in good form and will be around for a while longer. Courtois seems to have settled nicely in Madrid. Might as well stay on and get game time in the first team.

arkon

He's got 27 points in 15 games in the league.

Di Matteo had 24 from his 15.

I don't think Chelsea have done much worse under Rafa tbh, just United's form became relentless.

RDM had 24 points from 12 games. Rafa's had 18 games in charge and managed 31 points.

Top Bottom