• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

Kenka

Soooo Tottenham Basel. Never really seen much of Basel but I expect a tough game, heard they're quite a tough tackling team!

They have an exceptional keeper and a good defensive midfield. All young, all ready to leave for greener pastures next season.

But before that, they will try to shine again. I estimate reasonably that Basel is a downsized Porto, by 25%. They share the same strengths and weaknesses.

Homeland sucks.

tumblr_mdee0xybrD1qb8ggw.gif

GorillaJu

Fry, the Bayern hate is just a joke, dude. No one even makes any serious remarks about the team or anything. As Kenka said, they're well-managed, don't have any real assholes in the team, and play good football. Pretty much everybody recognizes this.

But yeah. #FuckBayern.

Fady K

Don't feel so bad Fry, it was offside, but does it take anything away from Bayern? Not at all. They played so well they could have easily scored at least 4 - even the most realistic Juve fans in this very thread said that.

The hate is tongue in cheek so no worries.

Hey, it's not like the hate Chelsea, for example, get :p Or even the United/Liverpool hate, a bit strong here. Or Barca as well. So many clubs get hated on here (and I find it annoying myself at times) but in the end the hate for Bayern here is not that serious IMO.

There is nothing wrong with it at all.

People just can't handle it. Can see why it might be annoying but to actually ban it is nonsense.

Some people want religion whitewashed from any public setting which is just ridiculous.

This post is full of win.

There is a fine line and as long as you're not in somebody's face with your own religious expressions then everything is fine and dandy. If you can get strength and wisdom out of religious books and customs, then that is something incredibly beautiful. It's simply too bad that two different cultures or religions clash that often.

There was this funny thing last December in the Netherlands called "religionstress". People who'd get annoyed or stressed by witnessing any form of religious expression.

Hope to see you back here soon Bacon. You summed it up very well here. I wish most people in the world thought this way, life would become far more peaceful.

Well put Fady, of all the things to be angry at in a football match a harmless goal celebration is definitely at the bottom of the list.

Thanks Jensen, I felt it was blown out of proportion here.

If they take their religion seriously then I think it's actually that they believe God controls everything in their life, and therefore thank God for everything good that happens to them.

I would expect this to be the case for Muslim players anyway.

I'm not 100% sure of that however that is pretty close to what Muslims believe as far as I know. Nice wording by the way :) And good luck against Basel bro.

It was an amazing goal for sure - but Chelsea probably should have scored 3 or 4. They were awful in the final third, esp Mata which was a surprise.

We really have an issue with our finishing these past few months. The team scores some spectacular and outrageous goals but they could do so much more damage if they finished a bit better.

Lastly, religion can be some fucking vile shit. Why would people, who narrowly escaped persecution/death on the hands of followers of a religion be reminded of it, again, in places where they least expect it? Especially with islam which, to some, cannot exist in a secular society because islam = law and can therefore also be referred to as ideology, how that different from fascist/Roman salute? Ohh, but all of us take offense in that, do we?

Where did you hear this Phantast2k? In Islam (based on the scriptures as far as I know, the shari'a law is the law of Islam and it applies to Muslims. Furthermore, we are meant to respect and peacefully coexist with those of other beliefs. Just because people use religion as an excuse when they wage war or pull off other atrocities on others does not mean it is a reflection of the religion itself. Blame the idiotic people who pull knowledge about religion out of their ass and use it for the wrong reasons rather than laying the blame on the religion, whichever one it may be.

What if Hideo Kojima works on PES 14. What will happen

Score goal from 60 metres? Nanomachines.

Oh man this killed me haahahahahah

LOL

I play games on easy. Got no time to get stuck, just wanna enjoy the fucking game

I like your style Wilbz, I do the same because with all the games we can play it would be frustrating getting stuck at many areas (many of which can be cheap in every sense of the word). It's nice to know that you can progress through the whole game without having to retry over a few times.

A couple of days late, but thanks for the support and the wishes guys really appreciate it.

He was 81

May he rest in peace, Koko.

broony

Going to the Benfica game next week, hope we still have something to play for. Hoping for a 0-0 or 0-1 loss tonight and the tie to still be alive next week. Expect a 3-0 defeat. Fuck it. HTT.

Wilbur

Banned
Apparently Yaya Toure is going to sign a new deal at City. 4 year contract @ £200+k p/w.

30 in a few weeks but had to be done I think. Just too good a player.

It's a shame (not really but you know what I mean) he doesn't show it consistently because when he's on, there's not a team in the world that could handle him.

Oxx

Why are all the Europa games on at the same time? I was enjoying all the staggered-start times in previous rounds. Or was that just a quirk of the time-zones that english clubs were playing in?

Wilbur

Banned
Why are all the Europa games on at the same time? I was enjoying all the staggered-start times in previous rounds. Or was that just a quirk of the time-zones that english clubs were playing in?

Time zones. Chelsea will be on at 5 next week I think when they're in Russia.

FFFFFFFFFFFF (ry)

Going to divert from Fry's meltdown to bring some RAWKish truth to this thread. The Guardian have a brilliant article about the evolving role of the playmaker, and how Tony Kroos is the playmaker of the future. Now, quick test, in this paragraph replace all mentions of Kroos with Jordan Henderson, and tell me it doesn't make sense.

That's certainly an interesting article because that's like the complete opposite of what I think.

To me, Kroos is the old kind of playmaker. When you look at the kind of player he is, you'd think he's a perfect fit for a DM/CM role like Schweinsteiger or Alonso but he somehow can't play there properly. As CAM, especially when his team isn't at it's best, he often slows down the play and thus fucks up counter attacks. He's actually that kind of player I'd use in the old 4-4-2 diamond formation, a player like Ballack.

Modern playmakers to me are players like Götze, Kagawa or Özil, although Özil is lazy at times. With most teams only playing with one striker, the defensive work for CAMs are more about closing spaces and putting pressure on the other teams' CBs/DMs. For that, it doesn't need a strong physical player, look at Kagawa last season. Götze or Özil are also much more variable, although Kroos can also play LW/RW, I'd rate Götze/Özil higher there.

Wilbur

Banned
RVP'S LAST 9 GAMES
Goals - 0
Shots - 24
Accuracy - 63%
Blocked shots - 8
Chances created - 9

PREVIOUS 9 GAMES
Goals - 9
Shots - 28
Accuracy - 61%
Blocked shots - 5
Chances created - 9

Really fucking similar. Apart from the fact they're not going in.

we believe in u robbin

Arnie

That RVP miss in the FA Cup was hilarious. And then the header in added time.

Was consuming a cupcake and a brew at the time and it felt like heaven.

Wilbur

Banned
That RVP miss in the FA Cup was hilarious. And then the header in added time.

Was consuming a cupcake and a brew at the time and it felt like heaven.

Haven't seen them. Don't want to. Don't want to see Ba's goal. Don't want to see Cech's save.

Don't want to see the fucking cunts win anything. Wigan and Rubin. I'm counting on you.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
@Baayeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeern GAF

No midfielder in Europe’s top 5 leagues has scored/assisted more goals than Thomas Muller this season (22)

Why are they calling him a midfielder?

WHAT THE FUCK?

NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS

Hixx

Speaking of AD, Portia de Rossi's face in the first series is really hairy.

But I started a rewatch of series 2 last night and she looks oddly different. Can't put my finger on it.

3Sixty

looool AJ was banging on about how good his stats were in the press the other week.

He's not a traditional winger and O'Neill trying to use him as so was a massive failing of his.

AJ has attempted 97 crosses. So like 9 complete.

FAO Valencia h8erz.

jbfealxBETt2gg.png

Hixx

It's weird, when promo material for season 4 starting showing up to me it didn't even look like the same person any more, but no one was talking about it.

There are a couple of photos from Ron whatshisface doing his voiceover in the thread and she looks fiiiine in those

Top Bottom