• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT16| Bacon & Dregs

YES!! 3-4!!! Right on the start of extra time.

Edit: FOKOBO!!! 3-5!!!

5-3 to Sporting as Fokobo unleashes a 45-yard volley into the top corner. Looked inevitable the moment he hit it.

Fuck, why isn´t this game on anywhere??

Clegg

Tunnicliffe is rubbish.

A shame Adnan is having to play up top.

I know Daehli has only just made the step up to U21 level but he probably would have been better than Tunnicliffe was this evening. That Mc Ginty lad was a bit crap too.

Januzaj is wasted up front. We seem to be in a bit of a bind at the moment. We need our best midfielder to come back from international duty so we can play him up front.

You're this excited about a game you aren't even watching? That is what the international break does to us I guess :p

I was kind of expecting that our kids would be a bit broken after conceding the draw on the last kick of regular time so knowing that they´ve reacted with 2 goals right on the start of extra time makes me happy.

I know Daehli has only just made the step up to U21 level but he probably would have been better than Tunnicliffe was this evening. That Mc Ginty lad was a bit crap too.

Januzaj is wasted up front. We seem to be in a bit of a bind at the moment. We need our best midfielder to come back from international duty so we can play him up front.
Haha yeah.

Stupid Wigan. Henriquez would have been better off playing u21s for the remainder of the season!

It's cool though, this is what the league is for. Good chance for players to gain experience and if some of the guys can go out on loan to play first team football that's even better for them.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
:(

Ah well, I don't think we're going to turn this around now. Seems like Sporting have a pretty good team. If only we had Pritchard...

Clegg

Haha yeah.

Stupid Wigan. Henriquez would have been better off playing u21s for the remainder of the season!

It's cool though, this is what the league is for. Good chance for players to gain experience and if some of the guys can go out on loan to play first team football that's even better for them.

I suppose Henriquez is still gaining experience even if he isn't playing for Wigan. He'll hopefully be thinking that he needs to work that little bit harder in training if he wants to get that starting place.

Do you think we'll see Powell get some gametime if we secure the league title with a few games to go?

Maybe Januzaj as a sub for some of those games?

Wilbur

Banned
This is amazing

Sport is supposed to be the purest form of meritocracy (except when you have to be able to afford a show jumper or whatever to do it). And these days, even middling competition has so many checks and balances that it's impossibly hard for even a committed chancer to game the system. Very occasionally, though, someone slips momentarily through the net, and I am indebted to the AFC Wimbledon fanzine Wise Men Say for drawing my attention to a spellbinding football tale.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin the story of Bobby Shillinde.

It would probably help if I told you who Bobby Shillinde is, but I am afraid that is a matter of some debate. The way Bobby has it, in multiple tweets, videos, and now Botswanan national newspaper interviews – don't worry, I'll explain in a minute – he is AFC Wimbledon's brightest hope. A star of the reserves, with eight first-team appearances under his belt, the 21-year-old Botswana-born Bobby is nearing the business end of a season during which he has picked up a man of the match award and made the League Two Team of the Week.

Or, as AFC Wimbledon's press officer put it to me: "I've checked with a few people. This player has never played for AFC Wimbledon as far as we are aware. Just to point out also that AFC Wimbledon does not have an Under-21s squad at the current time nor a reserves squad, though we do have a development squad."

Well, whoever they are, they have been forced to make do without Bobby's talents of late, as he pulled off his first international call-up last week, and flew out to join Botswana's training camp.

This amusing development would appear to be the culmination of Bobby's two-year Twitter campaign to bring his vital contribution to Wimbledon to a wider audience. "The first tweet I remember was from our play-off final in May 2011," muses Wise Men Say's Charlie Talbot, who has chronicled the rise and rise of Shillinde in wonderfully deadpan fashion. "He was leaving the hotel with the team."

Bobby's tweets are now protected, but thanks to the archive efforts of bemused AFC fans I have seen a photo of his team hotel room, as well as that Team of the Week achievement (in which his name has been Photoshopped into midfield space that was actually occupied by Wycombe Wanderers' Joel Grant), and much more. Elsewhere, there's a video of Bobby playing it cool with his man of the match ball "signed by the lads".

Even a few weeks ago, our hero was hard at work. "Shillinde believes that he can only be known to Botswana if he can get a call-up to come showcase his skills," ran a helpful article in the country's Sunday Standard newspaper. And so he did.

Quite how, I could not say, but it has something to do with Fifa's only licensed agent in Botswana, a chap by the name of Comfort "Big Fish" Ramatebele. The coup was even characterised by some as Bobby choosing Botswana over England (Botswana are 122 in the Fifa rankings.) Similarly mysterious is a lengthy quote singing Bobby's praises that purports to come from the AFC Wimbledon manager, Neal Ardley. "[Bobby] has plenty of first-team experience," this claims. "One thing I admire about the youngster is his persistence," says "Ardley" – and I hope you're starting to agree with him.

"I'm an unknown player in Botswana," breezed Bobby to the country's media, although he declined to add that he is an unknown player at Wimbledon too.

Or rather, he isn't, as some seem rather sweetly to be embracing him. A Botswana flag fluttered among the away fans at Aldershot last Saturday. "Great result," tweeted their first-team coach, Simon Bassey, after the win, "and all without our star player Bobby Shillende [sic]."

I'd love to be able to tell you this ended with Bobby starting against Malawi in Tuesday's friendly ahead of Botswana's World Cup qualifier against Ethiopia on Sunday. Alas, Botswana suddenly announced last weekend that Bobby would not be making his debut yet because of passport issues. It is total surmise, of course, but perhaps his performance at the Zebras' training camp was something akin to Adrian Shankar's in that tennis game against Luke Sutton.

Either way, let us hope this is not the last we hear of the fantastical Bobby Shillinde. In an age where footballers are routinely stereotyped as lacking in application, his chutzpah is only to be saluted.

And if you chance to read this, Bobby, please get in touch. I'm a huge admirer of your work and feel I MUST know more.

:(

Ah well, I don't think we're going to turn this around now. Seems like Sporting have a pretty good team. If only we had Pritchard...
Sporting always seem to have really good youth teams.

Do you think we'll see Powell get some gametime if we secure the league title with a few games to go?

Maybe Januzaj as a sub for some of those games?
Powell definitely will IMO.

Dunno about Januzaj, too soon I think but maybe Fergie will give him a taster.

If we do clinch it with a few games to spare I wanna see Smalling and Jones play CB. They haven't played close to enough minutes there, if the plan is for them to be our CBs in the future they need to start gaining experience.

Hixx

That rich group from Bahrain that bought Leeds in December?

Selling up already. FA really need to do something about shit like this.

Clegg

Sporting always seem to have really good youth teams.

Powell definitely will IMO.

Dunno about Januzaj, too soon I think but maybe Fergie will give him a taster.

If we do clinch it with a few games to spare I wanna see Smalling and Jones play CB. They haven't played close to enough minutes there, if the plan is for them to be our CBs in the future they need to start gaining experience.

A few years ago we had a game on the last day of the season against Hull or Blackpool. I remember Fergie naming a few kids and reserve players in a starting line-up and on the bench.

I'm not saying he should do this for our last 2-3 games. But I'd like to see one or two of the more talented younger players get a chance.

I agree with you on Smalling/Jones. And it's a shame that we can't recall Henriquez. This would have been the perfect time foe us to use him.

I don't see the point of playing Januzaj up front. How is that suppose to develop him? He gets moved too often for my liking.

And I don't know if Fergie will give the youth some time if the title is clinched. It depends if he fancies the point record or not.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
BAE has withdrawn from the Cameroon squad for 'personal reasons'. I don't know why he bothers, they all seem like a bunch of twats. I think he had some spat with Eto'o and Song before.

Take the week off and get ready for Swansea.

pulga

Banned
If Martin dies before finishing the series..

Fuck me I can't even think about it. ASoIaF is too fucking good to be finished on the telly.

pulga

Banned
So Pandev's come out saying he voted for Mourinho for the coaching Ballon d'Or, but FIFA attributed his vote to Del Bosque. Hell, according to FIFA, his second and third choices were Mancini and Klopp.

Are people overlooking what seems to be some very shady business?

arkon

So Pandev's come out saying he voted for Mourinho for the coaching Ballon d'Or, but FIFA attributed his vote to Del Bosque. Hell, according to FIFA, his second and third choices were Mancini and Klopp.

Not overlooking it per se. I'm just worried about the consequences for me and my family if I start looking into it too deeply. Who knows what Messi might do?

feel

Yeah heard about this. Apparently multiple people have contacted Mourinho saying they voted for him but FIFA redirected the vote. Weird.

pulga

Banned
Not overlooking it per se. I'm just worried about the consequences for me and my family if I start looking into it too deeply. Who knows what Messi might do?

Probably relegate you to the bench :lol

Yeah heard about this. Apparently multiple people have contacted Mourinho saying they voted for him but FIFA redirected the vote. Weird.

In a fair world, someone would appoint a committee to investigate.

But it's the most corrupt sporting organization in the world we're talking about. FIFA won't do shit.

FIFA is corrupt? You don't say?

Just another reason to ignore the shitty awards they give. Not that I really one.

In tmrws Liverpool Echo re: Suarez

“I am very happy at Liverpool but you never know in football. A player’s ambition is always there, the ambition of wanting to play in elite teams is always there. I’m in a world-class team, an elite team like Liverpool. We have to realise we have a new manager who is imposing a philosophy and a way of playing that the players are adapting to as best we can. We hope that it will bear fruit next year.”

“If another team comes around with more prospects of competing in international club competition games, which is willing to have me, they are welcome. We would talk to the club, we would see if I want to go, if I don’t want to go

Messi

Me thinks

ibqptCZslyyOH1.gif

:lol

Guardian said:
Luis Suárez is a footballer. Juventus are a football club. It therefore follows that the two parties are in discussions over a summer transfer. Well, apart from the fact that no player in the group at Liverpool Football Club, least of all a striker who has been taken to the hearts of the special people who are part of this famous old football club, who the special people at this famous old football club love like one of their own, who really gets this famous old football club and its special people and the unique special people and football club ways in which it is a special football club and they are special people, in a way that is thoroughly beyond the comprehension of anyone who does not really get the football club and its unique football club ways and the special people and the famous European nights that are famous, European and nightlike. The Mill is tearing up here, so must proceed.

Old people.

There was a photo of the Hong Kong football team, a snooker player called Fu and a golfer called Wi. The question was to name a character whose name could be composed from the names of those in the photo, so the answer was Hong Kong FuWi (Phooey.) The crowd actually laughed, while Sue Barker sat their with a glint in her eye that made it seem as though she had just experienced pure comedy, the funniest and smartest joke ever told. It was a fucking pun. In fact, it may not even count as a pun, since there was no double meaning.

Everyone in the programme, including the crowd, comes across as being utterly braindead.

Clegg

Strootman has inferred that he'd be willing to talk to any club that is genuinely interested in him.

So says the twitter machine.

rodvik

"“I am very happy at Liverpool but you never know in football. A player’s ambition is always there, the ambition of wanting to play in elite teams is always there. I’m in a world-class team, an elite team like Liverpool. We have to realise we have a new manager who is imposing a philosophy and a way of playing that the players are adapting to as best we can. We hope that it will bear fruit next year.”

“If another team comes around with more prospects of competing in international club competition games, which is willing to have me, they are welcome. We would talk to the club, we would see if I want to go, if I don’t want to go.”"

<insert laughing gif of your choosing here>

Top Bottom