• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Salazar

"assess the problem"

Erm....shit fans?

We need dancers, innit

6pUp1Ua.gif

3Sixty

Mark Lawrenson has predicted us to lose again for the 15th straight game. Then at the end of his 'analysis' says "They are strong going forward which is why I always fancied they would be OK."

Is there a more infuriatingly clueless pundit than Lawro?

Mark Lawrenson has predicted us to lose again for the 15th straight game. Then at the end of his 'analysis' says "They are strong going forward which is why I always fancied they would be OK."

Is there a more infuriatingly clueless pundit than Lawro?

He is a clueless tool.

He has us 8th....behind QPR in his prediction table to date :p

Arnie

It's bad at Anfield with people coming over for one day a season and not knowing (or obliging to join in with) any of the songs. Can't imagine what it's like at Old Trafford. Combine that with the vastness of the ground and a lack of a truly distinguishable area for the most passionate supporters and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Best way to improve atmosphere in the short term is create a safe standing section that isn't too high up and designate it the singing section.

Kikarian

Are you new here Kikarian? I keep a diary of United GAF supporters so I know who not to troll and you're not currently on it.
I never really posted here until recently. I just used to post on other parts of GAF. But I'll be posting here a lot now.

I thought that plan was still in motion? I remember talking to one of the blokes who does things like tours/odd-jobs around the stadium about it a month or two ago and he was saying how they were still planning on moving the away fans up a tier, but with special positioning for City and Pool fans to avoid any shit/coin/whatever flinging.
They stopped it for that reason. They thought more fans would do it when they visit.

GorillaJu

It's bad at Anfield with people coming over for one day a season and not knowing (or obliging to join in with) any of the songs. Can't imagine what it's like at Old Trafford. Combine that with the vastness of the ground and a lack of a truly distinguishable area for the most passionate supporters and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Best way to improve atmosphere in the short term is create a safe standing section that isn't too high up and designate it the singing section.

And yet despite the complaints on RAWK about the deterioration of atmosphere, Liverpool is the loudest group of fans in the PL!

Linius

I don't mind always online, the threshold needs to be longer than 3 minutes though.

I've only liked 2 games on them and one of them is a remake, 3D Land and OoT. I'll pick up Luigi but what else is there to get?

Make sure you get Mario Kart 7 and Resident Evil: Revelations.

Arnie

That Barney Ronay article was superb. Him and Rory Smith are the cream of the crop. Michael Cox is good but I prefer his bitesize tactical tweets to his extensive articles.

And yet despite the complaints on RAWK about the deterioration of atmosphere, Liverpool is the loudest group of fans in the PL!
No doubt. I imagine the Kop, or at least the back of it, is enough to ensure such a thing. Our ground is acoustically excellent, too. A tight, enclosed space that's close to the pitch with overhanging aspects that reflect the sound down towards the turf.

The atmosphere at Anfield is very obv. dropping now, though. It's clear just from watching on TV.

I am guessing the ticket prices rose quite a bit when the American owners took charge.

That Barney Ronay article was superb. Him and Rory Smith are the cream of the crop. Michael Cox is good but I prefer his bitesize tactical tweets to his extensive articles.
Sam Wallace is also very good.

I really need to get a subscription for The Times. They have quiet alot of good writers/contributors.

The "older" journos are all so terrible. Hayward, Winter, Samuel...all so...dour?

Arnie

The atmosphere at Anfield is very obv. dropping now, though. It's clear just from watching on TV.

I am guessing the ticket prices rose quite a bit when the American owners took charge.

Definitely. I can tell the difference between when I used to go at 13, and what it's like now. It's still decent in spells, around moments of pressure and certainly as each half begins. But it doesn't relentlessly bubble all match, as is often made out. Saying that, whenever I've been to a merseyside derby, United match, or latter stages cup match it's been electrifying.

If only that were true.

Anfield atmosphere is very poor nowadays.
It's not 'very poor', but it isn't what it was.

Players and teams can still come to Anfield and be intimidated, even if just by the first 10 minutes.

Problem is we save our best for the big teams, so there's been occasions when United and Chelsea have come and just haven't turned up, probably partly because of the atmosphere. Then a team like Norwich come, tickets are easier to get hold of, people expect a result, and the atmosphere just suffers.

madmackem

We did that at the stadium of light, it didnt go well as the stewards have started to toss people out for standing in the home singing end, they even got there own song now. People get banned for an amount of games if they get caught standing then get banned completely. The funny thing is 90% of the stand stands and they are just picking people out at random and banning them. Its been a fucking pr nightmare, club have been fucking stupid this whole ordeal.

We did that at the stadium of light, it didnt go well as the stewards have started to toss people out for standing in the home singing end, they even got there own song now. People get banned for an amount of games if they get caught standing then get banned completely. The funny thing is 90% of the stand stands and they are just picking people out at random and banning them. Its been a fucking pr nightmare, club have been fucking stupid this whole ordeal.

Holy shit! That explains your attendance!

There are growing calls for standing to come back now.

There's still quite a lot of resistance to it but I think there's a good case for it. It's worked out well in Germany, anyway.

Arnie

It drives me round the bend. Almost everyone at the back of the Kop stands, and it ends up knackering your knees because you're stuck against the seat in front. It's the best atmosphere, like, but it's not ideal. Stewards at Anfield don't chuck you out for it, though, at least not up there (haven't stood anywhere else).

Read some horror stories about stewards throwing people out for nothing, and getting power hungry. Apparently it's really bad at Leeds, judging by the complaints on FSF (which everyone should sign up to).

They've got to a stage now where you can keep them for ages and not fall behind. Galaxy S2 is an amazing example of that.

Swapped an S2 for a GN to keep up with the HD screens, hope I keep it for a while now. Battery sucks but otherwise it's awesome!

Make sure you get Mario Kart 7 and Resident Evil: Revelations.

I'd totally get MK7 if it wasn't full price n the eShop. RE is really cool but stopped it halfway, should probably get to that. :p

Kyoufu

It's not 'very poor', but it isn't what it was.

Players and teams can still come to Anfield and be intimidated, even if just by the first 10 minutes.

Problem is we save our best for the big teams, so there's been occasions when United and Chelsea have come and just haven't turned up, probably partly because of the atmosphere. Then a team like Norwich come, tickets are easier to get hold of, people expect a result, and the atmosphere just suffers.

We have the same problem. Quiet against Southampton, roaring against Chelsea.

Remember the West Brom game at Anfield? It was a ghost town atmosphere. Shouldn't be that way, especially for a passionate club.

Not sure I would want to sing sitting down at a match either, just seems weird. Standing up is the way to go, wish it would be allowed in England again cause the atmosphere is usually shit boring with just a bunch of people sitting down.

madmackem

It drives me round the bend. Almost everyone at the back of the Kop stands, and it ends up knackering your knees because you're stuck against the seat in front. It's the best atmosphere, like, but it's not ideal. Stewards at Anfield don't chuck you out for it, though, at least not up there (haven't stood anywhere else).

Read some horror stories about stewards throwing people out for nothing, and getting power hungry. Apparently it's really bad at Leeds, judging by the complaints on FSF (which everyone should sign up to).

Its been a fucking nightmare mate, i think the fsf stepped in with the club as well.

Arnie

We have the same problem. Quiet against Southampton, roaring against Chelsea.

Remember the West Brom game at Anfield? It was a ghost town atmosphere. Shouldn't be that way, especially for a passionate club.
Not sure I would want to sing sitting down at a match either, just seems weird. Standing up is the way to go, wish it would be allowed in England again cause the atmosphere is usually shit boring with just a bunch of people sitting down.
Exactly, everyone stands for YNWA, stadium gets really loud, then everyone sits down and it's almost a signal to say 'okay we've all done our bit, let's watch the match like we're watching a film'.

The exception is obviously a game like Everton where everyone's so nervous and desperate to win that there's constant noise and support. To answer Kyoufu's question above, that's why the atmosphere isn't booming for a game against West Brom, because ultimately it's West Brom.

If people were allowed and encouraged to stand and sing in designated areas it'd improve the atmosphere dramatically.

madmackem

Not bad, but there's still around 9 thousand empty seasons on average a game.

Its a bit less when you take in about 1k seg and most away teams have around 4k allocation but very few bring more than 1k here, its normally only liverpool manutd arsenal mags that bring the full allocation and then the council here have made the club offer a reduced allocation to most of them for standing. So there is only about 3-5k home tickets that go unselt for most games. Given how shit we have been and sunderland being one of the wrost areas hit its not bad.

:lol

The FSF ‏@The_FSF

Leeds United back safe standing | Football Supporters' Federation http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/leeds-united-back-safe-standing … via @The_FSF #LUFC

madmackem

Those 9 thousand became Newcastle fans.

You might think thats i joke but it isnt, we lost alot of fans in the split areas in the north east in the past twenty years, places in durham and surrounding areas that were nearly always sunderland supporting areas alot of the changed in the early 90s with the jawdee nation shite and yous doing well. The term geordie use to mean anyone from the north east till it was highjacked by john hall a former sunderland fan as well by the way.

Its a bit less when you take in about 1k seg and most away teams have around 4k allocation but very few bring more than 1k here, its normally only liverpool manutd arsenal mags that bring the full allocation and then the council here have made the club offer a reduced allocation to most of them for standing. So there is only about 3-5k home tickets that go unselt for most games. Given how shit we have been and sunderland being one of the wrost areas hit its not bad.

Stop being so fucking reasonable, the derby is in less than two weeks, we have to start some kind of bullshit war!

Kyoufu

You might think thats i joke but it isnt, we lost alot of fans in the split areas in the north east in the past twenty years, places in durham and surrounding areas that were nearly always sunderland supporting areas alot of the changed in the early 90s with the jawdee nation shite and yous doing well. The term geordie use to mean anyone from the north east till it was highjacked by john hall a former sunderland fan as well by the way.

I was actually serious. Was listening to BBC Newcastle radio and they talked about how both sets of fans jump ships every now and then lol.

I wish they would bring standing back. I go to a lot of rugby league games and a lot of the stadiums have standing areas. I was at Headingly a couple of weeks ago for the big local derby and the atmosphere was electric in the away section where we were standing. Everybody singing and bouncing and just generally a lot better than sitting down.

madmackem

I was actually serious. Was listening to BBC Newcastle radio and they talked about how both sets of fans jump ships every now and then lol.

Back in the day fans would go to both mate, before my time like but many fans on SMB talk about it.

Arnie

That's good, but they've had numerous high profile stewarding failures over the last few years that aren't directly related to people standing. There was one where a dad needed to take his kid to the toilets and he went over to the side and down but the stewards ejected him and his son because they said he'd passed into another area of the ground. It's diabolical.

Good that they're supporting safe standing, though.

Clegg

I'd have thought that Schurrle would be a better fit at a team like United. And it'll be interesting to see what Chelsea do with Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle and De Bruyne all on the same team. You can imagine that someone is going to be unhappy at not playing every week.

madmackem

I wish they would bring standing back. I go to a lot of rugby league games and a lot of the stadiums have standing areas. I was at Headingly a couple of weeks ago for the big local derby and the atmosphere was electric in the away section where we were standing. Everybody singing and bouncing and just generally a lot better than sitting down.

Its nuts mate, we have concerts at the stadium of light in the summers, people stand and get this drink beer in the stands. Do that at a football game in the same stadium youd be kicked out on the spot and more than likely given a few game ban. Football fans have been treat like shit since the bad old days and the event at hillsbrough which we now know fans were not at fault for.

That's good, but they've had numerous high profile stewarding failures over the last few years that aren't directly related to people standing. There was one where a dad needed to take his kid to the toilets and he went over to the side and down but the stewards ejected him and his son because they said he'd passed into another area of the ground. It's diabolical.

I agree, sorry I was just laughing because that tweet came up on my Twitter feed just as I read your post.

Arnie

I'd have thought that Schurrle would be a better fit at a team like United. And it'll be interesting to see what Chelsea do with Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle and De Bruyne all on the same team. You can imagine that someone is going to be unhappy at not playingevery week.

I'm impressed that they aren't going the standard Falcao/Cavani route. Or perhaps they are as well, but I certainly doubt it. Either way, assuming Torres fucks off back to Spain, Ba/Schurrle/Lukaku is an immense strike force, and all you really need ahead of Oscar/Hazard/Mata. This way they can invest more money into the midfield and defence.

I agree, sorry I was just laughing because that tweet came up on my Twitter feed just as I read your post.
No, the irony of it's pretty funny.

Was very surprised myself, pleasantly though.

madmackem

Leeds was the first away ground i got a police camera shoved in my face while going in and out of the away end in the late 90s. Wasnt very nice tbh, treat like shit before youve even done anything.

Top Bottom