• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

kharma45

Anybody who owns a WP knows it's impossible to be a WP fanboy. I love the direction MS is trying to go, but be damned if I would recommend WP over iOS or Android.

I'm hoping Windows Blue finally fixes a lot of their mistakes, but I thought that with WP8 too.

3Sixty

St Mary's is normally okay for standing if you're in the Northam end or back 10 rows or so of the Itchen North. Away fans typically get left alone too.

Clegg

I'm impressed that they aren't going the standard Falcao/Cavani route. Or perhaps they are as well, but I certainly doubt it. Either way, assuming Torres fucks off back to Spain, Ba/Schurrle/Lukaku is an immense strike force, and all you really need ahead of Oscar/Hazard/Mata. This way they can invest more money into the midfield and defence.
They have an immense wealth of young, talented attackers. If the club ever gains any sort of stability and a manager that can last for more than a few seasons we'd see a very, very strong Chelsea side.

Kikarian

The standing in OT is a joke. You stand up for more than 30 seconds and the police/stewards come over to tell you to sit down while the away fans are allowed to stand without any stewards telling them otherwise.

It needs to be sorted out. Safe standing is the way to go.

madmackem

St Mary's is normally okay for standing if you're in the Northam end or back 10 rows or so of the Itchen North. Away fans typically get left alone too.

I find it funny when you hear the tannoy at everton telling away fans to sit down, the three times ive been there we were encouraged to stand by the stewards. I guess it isnt the done thing now.

Arnie

Leeds was the first away ground i got a police camera shoved in my face while going in and out of the away end in the late 90s. Wasnt very nice tbh, treat like shit before youve even done anything.

And that's the problem, treat people like criminals and suddenly a minority of them will behave that way. If you're a young, impressionable man travelling the country with your mates, getting boozed up, and then the police are herding you places, filming you, watching you like you're about to do something they can arrest you for, you're infected by the idea.

I'm sure there are a small group of away fans in most clubs who love that feeling. For the majority though it's ridiculous, and they just want to go and watch the match with their family and friends. It's a lot better now, and it'll keep improving thanks to initiatives like FSF, but when it was really bad (before I ever went to matches) you wouldn't want to take your kids, would you.

3Sixty

I find it funny when you hear the tannoy at everton telling away fans to sit down, the three times ive been there we were encouraged to stand by the stewards. I guess it isnt the done thing now.

Yeah don't think i've ever been asked to sit at an away game. Didn't even see a steward in Newcastle.

Clegg

We can dream.

Edit: I know absolutely nothing about Schurrle. So can add nothing to this conversation. Is he top notch?

I think he's a very good player. Probably not quite as good as Mata or Hazard though. Bundesliga fans have probably seen him play more than I have.

GorillaJu

Kyoufu

Back in the day fans would go to both mate, before my time like but many fans on SMB talk about it.

Back when Hixx was still on my Steam list, I told him we should merge to form Tyne-Wear United with a 90k capacity stadium. We'd win the league every season.

Hixx

Everton away is one of the shittest days out in the league. The ground is a shit tip, the views are horrendous and they don't serve any alcohol. Despite being sponsored by a lager. Despite the fridges on the counters being jam packed with said lager.

And we always get beat.

Hixx

Di Canio has received the ultimate endorsement.

JOHN TERRY

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/05/john-terry-paolo-di-canio

GorillaJu

Man United and Everton must be 2.

Jesus Christ. And how about all the other teams who were measured? They didn't just measure Liverpool. Apparently www.fanchants.com did it. I'm not sure why people are surprised - the loudest fans are exactly the teams you'd expect them to be. Liverpool, United, Aston Villa, Everton, West Ham, Newcastle, Stoke. The quieter teams are who you'd expect as well. Arsenal, Wigan, Wolves, etc.

Arnie

Di Canio has received the ultimate endorsement.

JOHN TERRY

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/05/john-terry-paolo-di-canio

oh god thank you football i love you

Don't know how people can hate John Terry. Honestly. He's perfect.

tumblr_md5wwpUxsj1r9vg1go2_250.gif

I wouldn't expect many people on GAF to know much about the GN.

But I did like you're "help me win money" thread.

im taking the piss

Oh :lol :lol

15 years I've probably been doing it, never won once. Even when I was a kid and was only given the Each Way option.

WJD

The atmosphere against Real Madrid has got to be one of the best I've seen and heard in years, and that was just through the TV. Horrifically envious of anyone who was actually there, regardless of the result in the end.

As far as games I've attended, the second leg of the Carling Cup semi against City a few years ago was brilliant. Green and Gold (as futile as it ended up being) was in full swing, City just starting to become a moderate threat and Tevez chatting a load of shit all contributed to it in parts but it really was brilliant.

This one wasn't too bad either but I was stuck up in the nosebleeds for it where I was in the Stretford end for the City game:

Gutting that I haven't been able to get to a game since the 8-2.

Arnie

How was this eight years ago?

One of those moments when you really feel old, and I aint even 21. Remember munching through four Kiplings lemon slices that match. My mum had to take the box away from me.

As far as games I've attended, the second leg of the Carling Cup semi against City a few years ago was brilliant.
Very eerie.

City semi-final at Anfield second leg in the Carling Cup was one of my favourites, too. Back of the Kop, Kenny taking us to Wembley, day of my last January exam. All my course mates were going out that night but I was off to the match, and I have to say on the way to the ground I was a bit envious of them going out. Then it all happened. Class atmosphere, we beat them, Kenny took us to the final.

Sublime.

The atmosphere against Real Madrid has got to be one of the best I've seen and heard in years, and that was just through the TV. Horrifically envious of anyone who was actually there, regardless of the result in the end.

As far as games I've attended, the second leg of the Carling Cup semi against City a few years ago was brilliant. Green and Gold (as futile as it ended up being) was in full swing, City just starting to become a moderate threat and Tevez chatting a load of shit all contributed to it in parts but it really was brilliant.

This one wasn't too bad either but I was stuck up in the nosebleeds for it where I was in the Stretford end for the City game:

Gutting that I haven't been able to get to a game since the 8-2.
I was lucky enough to be in the Stretford End for that league cup semi against City.

When Rooney scored somebody kicked me in the back and I nearly fell over the front of rhe stand.

That was so awesome :D

WJD

I was lucky enough to be in the Stretford End for that league cup semi against City.

When Rooney scored somebody kicked me in the back and I nearly fell over the front of rhe stand.

That was so awesome :D

3 late winners against City that season. Glorious.

I remember watching videos of Owen's winner in the 4-3 every day for about a month after it happened.

"It's Giggs... Who's placed one for Michael Owen!"

Chills.

PowderedToast

so LFC GAF, do you want carroll back?

i thought the original loan deal said we'd get 17m for him if west ham stayed up, which i'd take in a heartbeat

Arnie

That's an interesting discussion in itself actually. Can a player be taught how to make space for others or does it come naturally to him?
Can definitely be taught.

Good coaching is all about getting players into the right spaces.
so LFC GAF, do you want carroll back?

i thought the original loan deal said we'd get 17m for him if west ham stayed up, which i'd take in a heartbeat
Nope, he'll never fit the way we want to play.

Watching Rodgers press conference now, doesn't sound like he's itching to bring him back.

Mancini - "It's not a true table".

FFS. We better beat these mugs on Monday.

I already have my silver lining for defeat though. Chance of Mancini staying on increases.

Just imagine Mancini barking at him in his most spangly Italian about embodying the space investigator role. And then JM7 nodding like a dog whilst sipping a travel size bottle of Evian.

I just have images in my head of JM7 running around in circles endlessly in the least effective manner possible, while the coaches applaud him for working so hard.

"Top space investigation" one will utter to another.

Kikarian

I already have my silver lining for defeat though. Chance of Mancini staying on increases.
City players want to do everything they can to try and beat us this season.

It's going to be a really tough game.
Obviously.

Wilbur

Banned
serie a is finally getting a reserve league. awesome. this should help with keeping players fit and testing out youngsters.

The amount of youngsters that just fall by the wayside in Italy is pretty disheartening. Hopefully this helps.

Delusional cunt. Hope we tonk them. But if we don't then we'll only win the title by 12 points sob

Top Bottom