• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT17| Jordan Henderson for Ballon d'Or

Oh am I DC'ing here?

raphael honigstein ‏@honigstein
Schürrle update, via @Tim_Roehn : Leverkusen official expected in London on Friday to conclude deal. Chelsea and AS have agreed 5y deal

Hixx

Btw if the next thread title isn't "gannin along the scotswood road to punch some horses faces" I'm never posting again

arkon

Eriksen was at fault for the first PSV equalizer where he was pressured off the ball too easily, but on the whole I thought he played well against them. Got a good goal to put them ahead in the second half. He's had more of an impact on the two games I watched (both of the games between the two teams this season) than Strootman certainly. The question is whether he'd be up to it physically in the PL. Seems like he'd be another Kagawa, getting brushed off far too easily. I also remember him having a good game against City at the Etihad.

Meier

In other news:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/justin-bieber-fan-jealous-of-anne-frank,32067/

700.jpg

Sigh...

In case you're unaware, The Onion is a satirical newspaper/website.

In case you're unaware, The Onion is a satirical newspaper/website.
:lol

And that's the saddest thing about this story.

It's actually true (at least on some level). Biebs did visit her house and no doubt countless Belibebers lost it.

Fucking Justin Bieber.

Oh am I DC'ing here?

raphael honigstein ‏@honigstein
Schürrle update, via @Tim_Roehn : Leverkusen official expected in London on Friday to conclude deal. Chelsea and AS have agreed 5y deal

Its not that im unhappy we're signing someone like AS, but wtf are we going to do with all these attacking players?

Mata, Hazard, Oscar... Schurrle, Ba. Benayoun will go, Marin will too? We still have Moses who has shown promise, just a shame he's dropped off recently.

Unless Oscar drops back? Which is what i've said we should do. If Jose does come home I hope he goes back to 4-3-3. Mata/Hazard either side of a striker (Ba, Schurrle, Torres? Falcao?) would be much more effective, and the team would be able to protect the back 4 a lot better than they do now, especially if we bin off Mikel but I don't see it happening unfortunately.

Its not that im unhappy we're signing someone like AS, but wtf are we going to do with all these attacking players?

Mata, Hazard, Oscar... Schurrle, Ba. Benayoun will go, Marin will too? We still have Moses who has shown promise, just a shame he's dropped off recently.

Unless Oscar drops back? Which is what i've said we should do. If Jose does come home I hope he goes back to 4-3-3. Mata/Hazard either side of a striker (Ba, Schurrle, Torres? Falcao?) would be much more effective, and the team would be able to protect the back 4 a lot better than they do now, especially if we bin off Mikel but I don't see it happening unfortunately.

Without having seem him play much he sounds pretty much exactly like a perfect player for Chelsea, a winger that can also very competently play as a striker. If it was another playmaker I would have rolled my eyes a bit. The team is obviously way too weak in the attacking front, not that the ones playing aren't good but there is only a few good substitutes and with a schedule as Chelsea got right now, there needs to be more players.

Without having seem him play much he sounds pretty much exactly like a perfect player for Chelsea, a winger that can also very competently play as a striker. If it was another playmaker I would have rolled my eyes a bit.

Fair enough. Do you think we'll sell Torres and get someone else up front? With his form in recent weeks he has looked good and I think the club could be tempted to keep him but im not really sure.

True, but I think it's based on real tweets from loads of people who don't even know who Anne Frank is.

I doubt any of it is real, to be honest.

This however

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xLn-X8YJRg

Fair enough. Do you think we'll sell Torres and get someone else up front? With his form in recent weeks he has looked good and I think the club could be tempted to keep him but im not really sure.

Don't think anyone wants to take him. :/

Surely the Schurrle money (theres a pun in there somewhere) could be better used? He's not really a player Chelsea desperately need, and why agree a deal now when a new manager is going to come in and not want him anyway and then not play him? Oh wait, this is Chelsea!

Just think 20m would be better spent at the back.

GorillaJu

I think Schurrle is more of a striker that can play wide rather than a wide man that can play as a striker. Kind of like Hulk, I suppose - a striker at heart, but still effective from the wings.

Good buy for Chelsea. I really liked him, but from what my Leverkusen-supporting friend said, it never seemed like Liverpool could be in the running for him - at least in our current state.

Feorax

I like the idea of Hazard/Mata either side of a striker in theory, but didn't Mata really struggle when playing out wide under AVB?

If Chelsea want to go back to 4-3-3, then they need to make some seriously good CM signings in the summer.

qindarka

Banned
I like the idea of Hazard/Mata either side of a striker in theory, but didn't Mata really struggle when playing out wide under AVB?

If Chelsea want to go back to 4-3-3, then they need to make some seriously good CM signings in the summer.

Nope, he was great all along.

I think he's overrated and needs a ton of space to operate well. They should've kept de Bruyne, but I really don't think he'll want to come back, now that Schürrle will arrive (good for us or Leverkusen). They'll probably lose Lukaku like this too.
Schürrle is sort of like Podolski, but faster and a slightly better dribbler (needs space though) and is less suitable for CF. He possesses a very good shot though, but likes to do the Robben repeatedly. I also feel like he disappears when his team is losing.

/we're also eyeing Václav Kadlec for 6m - fm wonderkinds ftw, lol

Meier

You just got hot and bothered since they chose Tallahassee =P

Haha, I saw it linked to from an old friend in college on Facebook yesterday and they didn't mention it was an Onion article (just made a joke about Tally). I shook my head and moved on but I recognized the girl's pic so I was like ohhhh, phew, dodged a bullet.

Nope, he was great all along.

Yeah I wouldn't say struggle, but it's obvious that he's so much better in centrally.

They'll probably lose Lukaku like this too.

Don't count on it. There's also still lots of games for Kevin de Bruyne, the squad is paper thin at the moment as soon as there's one or two injuries, especially with the match program in mind too.

Surely the Schurrle money (theres a pun in there somewhere) could be better used? He's not really a player Chelsea desperately need, and why agree a deal now when a new manager is going to come in and not want him anyway and then not play him? Oh wait, this is Chelsea!

Just think 20m would be better spent at the back.

Mou is done, he told Roman to buy Schurrle . ;)

But seriously, there's nothing wrong with buying players for a team and having a direction with the team overall for the future, at least not if the board and sport directors were competent, it's how we do it here too to have some continuity even if a manager is fired.

Top Bottom