• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT18| Have you ever seen a Mackem punch a horse?

Messi

Join the winning team bro

tumblr_mkqaaehrfd1qk1msct3.gif

No thank you, I only like Olivia.

spidye

We all know how Hoeness spent his unpaid taxes.

If Dortmund is losing two good players? Yeah that will just put Bayern even further ahead. There's still lots of talent in Dortmund but it would just be a step closer to being a one-team league. Do Bayern even need him? They already have lots of amazing players.

ribery is 30 and robben is 29 years old.

Soi-Fong

We all know how Hoeness spent his unpaid taxes.

If Dortmund is losing two good players? Yeah that will just put Bayern even further ahead. There's still lots of talent in Dortmund but it would just be a step closer to being a one-team league. Do Bayern even need him? They already have lots of amazing players.

Do Bayern need him?? I don't know.. Maybe look at the Bundesliga table. That says a lot.

And yes, we all know then where Hoeness unpaid taxes went to now.

spidye

And Giggs is 39 and still kicking ass. Those two can still play for a long while. What's your point? This transfer massively makes the Bundesliga a one-team league.
That maybe both want to retire someday or can't always play at this top level. Just seems logical to go for new blood.

Soi-Fong

That maybe both want to retire someday or can't always play at this top level. Just seems logical to go for new blood.

Retire? Nah.. With Hoeness' unpaid taxes he can pay all his players a handsome amount of money all the while the players not having to try that hard in the first place since the league is practically theirs.

Suen

I remember the commentators during WC 2006 saying that Ribery would be the next Zidane, what happened to that? loooooooooooooool. He's a great player though...and a big cunt as well.

Wilbur

Banned
Jones should be made 1st or 2nd choice CB next season.

Time to see if he's up to it.

Problem is, then we'll have to relegate one of Evans, Vidic or Ferdinand. All three of who have been generally pretty great over the whole season.

Have a feeling Smalling's going to end up as right back cover for his whole career here. Shame, because he looks really good in the middle. But Evans/Jones seems to be the long term thinking.

I was expecting today to be many posters hating on United for winning the title, but it seems like Gotze moving to Bayern is making people even angrier.

United winning has just seemed inevitable for a few weeks now, people are used to the idea. Gotze going to Bayern is just a horrible thought

FootballFan

I remember the commentators during WC 2006 saying that Ribery would be the next Zidane, what happened to that? loooooooooooooool. He's a great player though...and a big cunt as well.

Ribery is great. Doesn't get as much attention since he plays in the Bundesliga and he isn't Zidane but he is still one of the best attacking players out there.

Happy birthday Friendly Monster :D

la_briola

If Gotze goes to Bayern, he'll be fucking burned alive by Dortmund fans. He's their poster boy and they will not take to it lightly with him moving to their greatest rivals.

This will always be Schalke.

Hes the best player in the Bundesliga.

Problem is, then we'll have to relegate one of Evans, Vidic or Ferdinand. All three of who have been generally pretty great over the whole season.

Have a feeling Smalling's going to end up as right back cover for his whole career here. Shame, because he looks really good in the middle. But Evans/Jones seems to be the long term thinking.
Yeah but Jones is the future, or at least that's the plan. We need him to be ready to step in when the time comes and next season could be Rio and Vidic's last. Jones played CB less than 5 times this season maybe?

Next season he needs to be playing there alot more IMO. I think he's potentially brilliant there.

Suen

I was expecting today to be many posters hating on United for winning the title, but it seems like Gotze moving to Bayern is making people even angrier.
I don't get people hating on United winning the title (not referring to posters here). Most of the big teams in PL have played shit this season and throughout it no team has seriously been threatening Utd (or reached it's level for that matter). It's not like Utd won by some shady methods, they won it straight and honest. They simply proved that they aren't shit like most teams are in PL this season, regardless of whether they think they've played good or not this season.

Wilbur

Banned
Really hope we can do Spurs a favour and beat Arsenal/Chelsea.

FORMATION TIME COMING EARLY LADS, HOLD ON TO YOUR SMALL YET FIRM DICKS

Assuming everyone is fit, I haven't a fucking clue:

DDG
Rafael - Ferdinand - Vidic - Evra
Nani - Rooney - Carrick - Kagawa
van Persie - Hernandez

Have a feeling we'll see Welbeck on the wing though, but Nani's pace will work on the counter against Arsenal. Hope Shinji gets a run in the team until the end of the season.

Soi-Fong

United winning has just seemed inevitable for a few weeks now, people are used to the idea. Gotze going to Bayern is just a horrible thought

Yes it is... If football-gaf had more Dortmund posters every one of them would be crying traitor similar to RVP transferring to United. But again, not the same situation since Gotze has actually won trophies with Dortmund.

DDG
van Persie - Hernandez

Have a feeling we'll see Welbeck on the wing though, but Nani's pace will work on the counter against Arsenal. Hope Shinji gets a run in the team until the end of the season.
I don't think RVP will start on the weekend. Hernandez with Kagawa off him.

GolazoDan

Yes it is... If football-gaf had more Dortmund posters every one of them would be crying traitor similar to RVP transferring to United. But again, not the same situation since Gotze has actually won trophies with Dortmund.
And Dortmund are still rivals of Bayern.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah but Jones is the future, or at least that's the plan. We need him to be ready to step in when the time comes and next season could be Rio and Vidic's last. Jones played CB less than 5 times this season maybe?

Next season he needs to be playing there alot more IMO. I think he's potentially brilliant there.

Oh I agree with you, but we've got such solid options for CB that it'll prove difficult for Jones to be first or second choice. Ferdinand playing a role more like Giggs would be great, but he's still got a year or two left in him until he'll be ready to do that I think. SAF rates the fuck out of Evans, and of course Vidic is our best defender when fully fit, unless we sell him.

Instead of Rio one game and Vidic the next generally alongside Evans, I'd like to see Rio + Vidic one game, Jones + Smalling/Evans the next. Have two or three very distinctive partnerships, and rely on the experience of Rio/Vida for one and the burgeoning relationship between our young ones. It makes little sense to keep putting Evans with Rio when that's not where a long term partnership will be made.

Soi-Fong

DDG
van Persie - Hernandez

I'm kinda hoping Spurs get left out of the top four. Spurs being stuck in the Europa league again would guarantee Bale wanting to move this summer.

Clegg

Kagawa played well again imo. We should start him for the remainder of the season and properly bed him into the team.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't think RVP will start on the weekend. Hernandez with Kagawa off him.

I was thinking exactly that, and against any other team then maybe that would be the case. But it's Arsenal innit.

Chicha's bound to start, and against Chelsea I think. Really heartening to see Kagawa stationed further up the pitch for the majority of the match as well; just really wished he'd scored, because now there's a certain thing to look at when trying to criticise him. Was really bright in the first half again, was our best player vs West Ham. Shit's looking up.

scently

Jones should be made 1st or 2nd choice CB next season.

Time to see if he's up to it.

One thing I was impressed with tonight was the ball playing ability of our two CBs, especially Johnny Evans. Smallings is also good at this but is less consistent under pressure. I think the 3 of them will be our future CBs without any of them being ever present. Johnny Evans has really impressed me, especially with the way he drives our play forward. This is something that Vidic and Ferdinand lacks, although they make up for it with other qualities.

Soi-Fong

Kagawa played well again imo. We should start him for the remainder of the season and properly bed him into the team.

He played pretty well today, and showed glimpses of what's possible when he's high up front. That open net he unfortunately screwed up shows the kind of innate positioning sense he has.

Seeing ramblings on twitter that some of the goals were offsides. Any truth?

Two were pretty close to offside, yes.

Suen

Ribery is one of the best wingers right now and a big cunt

Ribery is great. Doesn't get as much attention since he plays in the Bundesliga and he isn't Zidane but he is still one of the best attacking players out there.

Hes the best player in the Bundesliga.

He's definitely a top class player, surprises me very often. He works really hard, is fast as fuck and have the skills, quite the tricky guy. Still not by any means a Zidane though. I would have loved to have him at Madrid or Arsenal :( Bayern want some younger players, right? We can give them Benz and we'll gladly take Ribery in exchange ;)

Wilbur

Banned
I'm kinda hoping Spurs get left out of the top four. Spurs being stuck in the Europa league again would guarantee Bale wanting to move this summer.

That would be a positive, but I don't see him coming to us over Madrid or Bayern considering Levy's involved. Certain he'd ask for more money from us, and we just won't be willing to spend the 50m or so they'd want I think. I'd fucking LOVE to get him. But I can't see it. Bale, Kagawa and an on-form Rooney behind RVP would be mentally good in theory, but he's Madrid bound either this summer or next I think.

Seeing ramblings on twitter that some of the goals were offsides. Any truth?

First and third. Third more clear cut, but Villa's chaotic defending might have obscured the linesman's view. First, Valencia had his foot offside and it was pretty early in the build up; not that its an excuse, but there was two crosses after Valencia passed it back that Villa just didn't deal with.

Second was just in line I think. Plus it was fucking BEAUTIFUL

Top Bottom